AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-02-28, 02:10   Link #1
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

Most Epic Battle/Boss Fight in a Video Game

So what do you guys consider to be the most epic battle or boss fight of any game. Name the battle and game and why you think so.

For me, it would have to be the duel with the Boss at the end of MGS. The emotional value and the scenery/battle ground, were perfect, especially whent hey start playing Snake Eater in the second half. Everything just screams out epic.

I prolly have more, but I'll put them up as I think of them.

What about you guys?
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 09:57   Link #2
NeonShadow

There are just sooo many. Most of the best IMO are from RPGs.

The one thats in my mind would have to be from Final Fantasy Tactics. That one battle where your in the snow and you have Delita (been so long) and your trying to save his sister. Then at the end of that battle, when everything seems sooo close, BAM.... an explosion.
NeonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 10:28   Link #3
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

The most epic boss battle that I can remember was the one against Bob the Goldfish.

Bad to the bone.

Seriously though, Just like NeonShadow mentioned, there are sooo many out there to label just one as the best. The battles with the Hydra and the Minotaur in God of War, are two battles I wont soon forget.
Old 2006-02-28, 10:32   Link #4
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
The most epic boss battle that I can remember was the one against Bob the Goldfish.

Bad to the bone.
ROFL!!! absolutely brilliant.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 18:16   Link #5
Sides

Contra3/Super probotector on the SNES.
It was just hardcore, if i remember correctly.
Definitely one of the rememberable boss battle in my past ^^.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 20:00   Link #6
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

Would have to be...
Ledah in Riviera.

Although it is mostly the aftermath of the battle, it was awsome.
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 21:39   Link #7
Theundyingmage

Epic boss battles...............

Mother brain(super metroid)
Septhiroth? (KH1+2)
Any battle in Colossus.
Any FF final boss battle.
Theundyingmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 22:39   Link #8
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

First thing that came to my mind was Lavos in Chrono Trigger. FFIV and FFVI had amazingly epic final battles as well.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 02:21   Link #9
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

The most epic boss battle? I think that honor goes to Ghaleon from Lunar: Silver Star Story complete. The stronger I got, the stronger that damn Ghaleon got!

Zeon from Shining Force 2 gets an honorable mention, but gets points taken off for having a dumb name like "Zeon".
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 03:17   Link #10
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

What about Kefka From Final Fantasy 6?

This was the ultimate boss battle of any Final Fantasy. At the start of the battle we get to line up every single one of the 14 characters. I start off playing with the first 4 of them, but as I battle Kefka, he manages to kill off my characters one by one. No matter, I've got plenty of replacements. I kill his first stage and loose characters. The screen moves up and I get to fight his second stage. More characters bite the big one and the battle continues, fortunately there are still more heroes to continue the fight. Horray, Kefka's second stage has been defeated! Oh, no! He's got a third stage and I've already lost some of my strongest characters. Now I have to continue with weaker heroes! The screen moves up a bit more and the battle continues. He takes out even more of my characters before I defeat this stage. Is there another level, oh please NO! My heart leaps with joy when I see that it is the end of the fight! Finally, he has been defeated after toasting more of my characters than I'd ever been allowed to field in a single battle.

Now that was Epic.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 04:41   Link #11
Freakman

The Gilgamesh/Shirou battle in Fate/Stay Night comes to mind. Well, most of the battles in this game are epic, but this one particularly stands out.
[Note : I do not consider this to be a spoiler, given the fight will probably not be animated]
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 07:44   Link #12
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

promathia in FFXi is memorable.

bowser in super mario 3.

ganon in ocarina of time and the wind waker.

the final airship battle in skies of arcadia.

DEFINATELY olga and even dark falz in PSO.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 09:00   Link #13
shikamarufoo

I haven't played too many FF games that are pre FFVII so I'll have to say FFvii's final final seiphiroth when it's just cloud and him and everything that leads up to it, the secret weapons in FFVII (only available in America I think), Seiphiroth in Kingdom Hearts, and the boss fight in the first MGS1 with Psycho Mantis was pretty cool
were you had to switch the controller to damage him.
shikamarufoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 11:49   Link #14
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamarufoo
the secret weapons in FFVII (only available in America I think).
Do you mean the ruby/emerald weapons? If so, they are available in all versions (they ARE part of the storyline to say the least).

Besides, those battles were not epic...there was basically a way to macro the fight (ie leave the ps on, cast KOTR once, and wait for 30 minutes.)
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 13:19   Link #15
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa

This was the ultimate boss battle of any Final Fantasy.
That’s also on top of my list...^^

And because this is not about the last boss I will also include the fight vs. the underwater weapon in Final Fantasy VII, and the one in the desert, this IMO, are the most difficult Bosses to dealt with..I think they are more difficult than Kefka.

Myke Tyson, in Super Punch out, from NES…It was almost impossible to win against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Do you mean the ruby/emerald weapons? If so, they are available in all versions (they ARE part of the storyline to say the least).

Besides, those battles were not epic...there was basically a way to macro the fight (ie leave the ps on, cast KOTR once, and wait for 30 minutes.)
Ummmm KOTR (If we are speaking about Knight of the Round), only took 13,000 at best from the boss, besides the problem was actually not getting your 3 players get killed at the same time, The Ruby Weapon always cast from the beginning an attack that cast various status ailments, and normally you ended up dead (I recall that I only reach the battle with only one of the 3 people in my party alive in order to avoid this first attack) while the underwater had and Attack that was instant kill, so I needed to have one of my Characters equipped with the phoenix Summon materia and last attack, so when the Weapon annihilated him, he will use Phoenix and thus revive everybody.

Not to mention those where fight that lasted more than 45 minutes...it was really exciting!!!
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 13:22   Link #16
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Now that was Epic.
It would have been epic if it went the way you described.

Unfortunately, he was instead, hopelessly mauled by my kaiden no akashi/genji no kote 8 hit combos, followed by quick-> ultima/ultima -> ultima/ultima.

Never in the history of FF have I had such a lopsided final boss fight
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 14:39   Link #17
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:

This was the ultimate boss battle of any Final Fantasy. At the start of the battle we get to line up every single one of the 14 characters. I start off playing with the first 4 of them, but as I battle Kefka, he manages to kill off my characters one by one. No matter, I've got plenty of replacements. I kill his first stage and loose characters. The screen moves up and I get to fight his second stage. More characters bite the big one and the battle continues, fortunately there are still more heroes to continue the fight. Horray, Kefka's second stage has been defeated! Oh, no! He's got a third stage and I've already lost some of my strongest characters. Now I have to continue with weaker heroes! The screen moves up a bit more and the battle continues. He takes out even more of my characters before I defeat this stage. Is there another level, oh please NO! My heart leaps with joy when I see that it is the end of the fight! Finally, he has been defeated after toasting more of my characters than I'd ever been allowed to field in a single battle.

Now that was Epic.
I second this one and the music was fantastic!

Also as another mentioned Shadow of the Colossus is nothing but epic boss battles.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 15:17   Link #18
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I nominate Indalecio from Star ocean 2. He starts off with an attack which radiates 360, which he continues until he gets hit. They only options here are to equip your melee characters with the strongest armor you have and wade through the attack, or hit him with a powerful spell to knock him out of it long enough for the melee characters to get close. Even then, he's fast, making it difficult to get any hits in, and strong enough to do a lot of damage. Once you get his hp down to about half, he casts a spell making himself even stronger and faster.

Then, once you finally beat him, you might decide to go back and play a bit more, looking for things you missed, or to try to change some of the endings. You then find out in a private action that he was fighting under a limiter, and he's even stronger if you go back and fight him again. Unless of course, you had that PA before, in which case you'd probably be leveling up at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha_Rurik
while the underwater had and Attack that was instant kill, so I needed to have one of my Characters equipped with the phoenix Summon materia and last attack, so when the Weapon annihilated him, he will use Phoenix and thus revive everybody.

Not to mention those where fight that lasted more than 45 minutes...it was really exciting!!!
Emerald weapon actually doesn't have an instant kill. What he does have is an attack which does 1000 damage for every materia you have equiped. It's really worse than an instant kill, as that could be prevented by a safety bit, while this can't be. However, if you go into battle with only the materia you absolutely need, it shouldn't kill you in one hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesAurivern
It would have been epic if it went the way you described.

Unfortunately, he was instead, hopelessly mauled by my kaiden no akashi/genji no kote 8 hit combos, followed by quick-> ultima/ultima -> ultima/ultima.

Ultima spam FTW!
Though if you want to talk about a lopsided boss fight, that spider looking thing in ffx was much worse. All you needed to do was cast zombie on it, and it heals itself to death. Very anti-climatic...

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2006-03-01 at 15:32.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 19:31   Link #19
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Some good ones:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Ganon

I always loved it when the boss theme started to play and the name of the boss appeared in big white letters on the screen. OoT was in fact full of very exciting boss battles, but I suppose Ganon was the most "epic" one

FFXI - Shadowlord, Kam'lanau (Unfortunately I never got to do the last Zilarts and the CoP missions after the 3 mammets)

Especially the Kam'lanau fight was very exciting for the first time. Cool boss music, a cool room to fight in, cool cutscenes before and after the fight and a cool boss. What more could you ask for? Watching him do Light Blade was always exciting since it could one-shot the tank.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 21:47   Link #20
monster

Luigi vs Bowser in SMW, talk about epic, saving a princess and 7 baby dinosaurs and still give the credit to his brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesAurivern
Try Knights of Round+Mime combo in VII or Angel Wing+Meteor combo in VIII.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote