AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-21, 21:07   Link #81
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Die shotaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 2008-04-21, 23:40   Link #82
Westlo
Lets be reality

I sense there will be a massive celebration when Luca dies... unknown to all he will come back with something wrong with his eye and than have a pompous voice like 3 other Fukuyama Jun characters!
Old 2008-04-22, 01:59   Link #83
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Lol, maybe one of his eyes will be purple... and he'll declare the formation of the Black Knights of Macross
Old 2008-04-22, 07:38   Link #84
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
All HAIL MACROSSSSSSS
Old 2008-04-22, 11:37   Link #85
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

After seeing episode 3 I'm begining to like sheryl a bit more. While I wouldn't go so far as to say she's Tsundere, she does seem to have a softer side of her, she seems to treat her friends okay. She also doesn't seem to be a complete idol cliche in that:

1. She doesn't seem insecure about herself, if Ranka became more famous than her I don't think she'd care.
2. She's very self absorbed, she seems to care a little bit about Ranka and Alto, she seems to treat her friends well enough.
3. She isn't helpless in real life, Minmay came across in the end as being out of touch with reality, you don't get those vibes off Sheryl. In the shelter she didn't flail around helplessly like say Ranka.

I think she might initially seem quite bitchy, but she's more just focussed and professional in that light her comments in episode 1 aren't as bad.

Overall while Ranka might end out getting an overinflated ego when/if she becomes an Idol I think Sheryl should stay pretty level headed throughout. Maybe she'll bring Ranka back to reality if she goes Minmay on us, as she seems to be taking up an older sister type role with her.

Can't really say what kind of effect she'll have on Alto yet.

I'm still in the Ranka camp, but I'm much closer to the center now, we really have to wait and see how things go. I think that one nice thing in this triangle is that all parties seem very friendly with each other. I somehow doubt we'll end out with a typical love triangle of spiraling levels of angst and misunderstandings like you usually get (like in say Macross, though it's sounds negative as I describe it, the triangle was top notch in Macross). I can see all parties staying friendly with each other with Alto committing to neither until the end, with little broken feelings along the way.

Of course Ranka might go bitchy on us and become jealous of Sheryl, then sparks will fly.
Old 2008-04-22, 20:37   Link #86
4Tran

I really like what we've seen of Sheryl's character so far. She's a multi-faceted character who defies easy compartmentalization. In her public persona, she's professional to the point of arrogance - she demands a lot from other people, but she's also willing to sacrifice a lot to do what's expected of her as well. In private, we've seen her be extremely obsessive, to the point of not caring about propriety or how she appeared to her manager - perhaps she's comfortable enough in that situation that she wouldn't care regardless, but it's also possible that her attention was absorbed elsewhere.

The way that Sheryl lipsticked her mirror (in French no less!) suggests that she goes off on these incognito jaunts quite frequently - that there's a side of her that likes to live outside of being "the" Sheryl Nome. And of course we see that she's genuinely pleased to meet a fan, and isn't anywhere nearly as stuck up as her initial actions would indicate. That musical salute to the sortieing VF-25s was a very nice touch for both her character and Ranka's. Finally, that tease/flirt/put-down of Alto was just the cherry on top of a very nicely conceived character.

Of the three main leads, I think that Sheryl is one of the best characters to have come out of the Macross franchise; Alto himself is awesome, and Ranka is showing a fair bit of promise (although she fits much more neatly into a standard anime archetype, and will require some work to break out of that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well, this is't shoujo anime. I believe the triangle is there just to spice up the series. But the writings are everywhere that Altoh and Ranka are destined for something while Sheryl is playing the distraction role. Kind of similar to Macross Plus, where you have Isamu and Myung but that hot blonde chick Lucy is their distraction.
The importance of the love triangle depends on the particular show, and what story it's trying to tell. For example, in SDF Macross, it's arguable that the romance was every bit as important as the war against the Zentradi. It's a little too early to say what role it'll play in Frontier, but it's so character-driven that I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true here as well.

By the way, the love triangle in Macross Plus was actually Guld-Myung-Isamu; of whom none qualify as a distraction.
Old 2008-04-22, 22:30   Link #87
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The importance of the love triangle depends on the particular show, and what story it's trying to tell. For example, in SDF Macross, it's arguable that the romance was every bit as important as the war against the Zentradi. It's a little too early to say what role it'll play in Frontier, but it's so character-driven that I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true here as well.

By the way, the love triangle in Macross Plus was actually Guld-Myung-Isamu; of whom none qualify as a distraction.
Yes, you're correct. I've forgotten about Guld. Every Macross series exists a love triangle from the very start.

M7, very early Gamlin was infatuated with Mylene, however Basara did not acknowledge her as anything but a bandmate, he seems more interested in Emiriya anyways.

For this love triangle here, at the early going Ranka and Altoh is starting to warm up already. I know some folks are thinking Sheryl is like Misa who will show her true side and become the right girl. I'm not so sure, Sheryl seems like she will stand on her own for the most part. She doesn't act like she needs a guy and always confident and in charge of things. Where as Misa was unsure of herself because she was incompetant for 1/2 of the series making dumb orders for Hikaru to follow. My money is Sheryl will become a fling, that's my 2 cents.
Old 2008-04-23, 00:41   Link #88
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Where as Misa was unsure of herself because she was incompetant for 1/2 of the series making dumb orders for Hikaru to follow. My money is Sheryl will become a fling, that's my 2 cents.
Misa was incompetent for 1/2 of the series? Wow.... just wow. Let me guess you're another Minmay fan who feels they are owed one so Ranka has to win.
Old 2008-04-23, 01:05   Link #89
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I didn't like Minmay, she became out of touch with reality and self absorbed with her own quite trivial in comparison problems. She also messed with hikaru's feelings a lot, particularly at the beginning when they escape from that cargo hold.

On the other hand I'm beginning to understand Sheryl a bit more, her bitchy comments in episode 1 are a bit more justified as she wanted to put on a great show and didn't want it messed up by amateurs (hence her displeasement with the fliers). Though her beings resentful of there being fans backstage is more difficult to justify, though could be that she wanted to run a streamlined operation and didn't want to have to deal with the distraction.

Anyway she doesn't seem to be afraid to yield the spotlight to Ranka, unlike the first established idol singer we saw in SDF Macross.

It will be nice to find out more about her motivations, so far she's the character we actually know least about. Unlike Alto and Ranka she doesn't really wear her heart on her sleeve so to speak, so it's hard to know what the motivation behind it all is, and of course how real her "public persona" is too.
Old 2008-04-23, 01:09   Link #90
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
Anyway she doesn't seem to be afraid to yield the spotlight to Ranka, unlike the first established idol singer we saw in SDF Macross.
I wouldn't be surprised if she actually helps establish Ranka in the music world. If she was smart she would sign her to her label or something and make Ranka her "protege" since she discovered her you could say.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-04-23 at 01:22.
Old 2008-04-23, 01:16   Link #91
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I think that's what's going to happen, if anything the jealousy might be the other way round if Ranka let's the fame go to her head, like Minmay did, though Minmay didn't end up jealous of others fame.

I could see the finale taking place against a combined Ranka-Sheryl duet of some kind.
Old 2008-04-23, 06:29   Link #92
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Actually, Ranka rising to a degree of fame may affect Sheryl quite deeply, especially if it results in her 'presence' as Sheryl Nome decreasing, bad.

Sheryl is far from a bad character. Like 4T said, she's arrogant, but at the same time, puts herself on a professional scale and understands that she has to live up to what is expected and demanded of her. Episode 1 where she insisted to continue singing before learning of the Vajra attack was a good example of it. She's proud that she's Sheryl Nome, and is damn damn proud of it in a good way. Along with her natural nature, she's a strong, independent woman. But at the same time, it does seem that there is more to her than what we're shown.

Getting humbled might put a different perspective on her character development and interaction. Not necessarily on herself, (( she's probably work harder to regain her position, not whine about it. )), but how others perceive her especially her closest peers. As Sheryl is someone who lives on her pride of her own being, it might be interesting to see how her pride is affected when she goes through times where for all her independence and strength, she's... 'alone'.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-04-24, 18:53   Link #93
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Getting humbled might put a different perspective on her character development and interaction. Not necessarily on herself, (( she's probably work harder to regain her position, not whine about it. )), but how others perceive her especially her closest peers. As Sheryl is someone who lives on her pride of her own being, it might be interesting to see how her pride is affected when she goes through times where for all her independence and strength, she's... 'alone'.
She puts up a very strong front atm but it wouldn't surprise me at the end of the series her and Ranka are switched in regards to who is "stronger" person. Seems to be the trend that the stronger appearing girls at the start generally become the most dependent on the love interest by the end while the other girl overcomes her issues. I haven't finished KOR but I'm sure Modaka (another very strong character at first... well still is as far as I've seen.. ) has a lot of issues.

Anyway next few episodes should show us more about Sheryl.
Old 2008-04-25, 19:48   Link #94
TakCWAL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori View Post
If anything I think Ranka is a bit too young to get into a romantic relationship with our main character guy. =/
It is pretty much a Macross tradition to have the main guy settle with an independent, self-conscious and at times arrogant female lead.

None of the Macross female leads ever had to force herself to become dependent of the main male lead. The female and male leads were always two independent, self-conscious entities who chose to be together, not because of some cliche necessity, but by choice alone. I have yet to see an exception.

Take for example Misa, who told Hikaru pretty much point blank that he had to choose between her or Minmei, not both. You don't see this kind of straight talking anime female leads very often.

It is very very possible for Alto to be paired with Sheryl. Unless Shoji Kawamori want to surprise us. Fortunately, he is not as unpredictable as Yoshiyuki Tomino.

- Tak
Old 2008-04-26, 01:09   Link #95
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
altro will end up with a meltran and michael with ranka.

it's going to be CHAOS.

:3
Old 2008-04-26, 01:27   Link #96
TakCWAL
Banned

I think there is a better chance for Mikael to end up with 'Quran Quran' (yes, I will dub her Quran Quran, as it sounds more Zent/Melt. Unless somebody point me to an official Romanized spelling)

- Tak
Old 2008-04-28, 20:43   Link #97
Joachim
et tu, brute?

let see here.. sheryl and alto, next misa and hikaru?

michale and quran quran or whatever her name.. the next max and millia? lol

i ship sheryl and alto
Old 2008-04-28, 22:40   Link #98
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

I found Sheryl in the last episode stunning (especially with her glasses).
I know in anime, everyone has to look pretty and appealing, despite being "normal people", but I like the fact that Sheryl, being an idol/singer/star, is imo truly depicted as more beautiful than many characters (I didn't say that Ranka, Nanase etc are ugly of course, don't misunderstand me ).

But I mostly love her professionalism and that she's a hardworking girl who went to the top on her own anyway

Spoiler for the manga:
Old 2008-05-01, 01:26   Link #99
Westlo
Lets be reality

I might as well shift this to this thread instead of the Ranka one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert
Alright, this sounds a lot better, and I apologize for my misunderstanding. But I still don't like the idea Sheryl mentally dependent on Alto. Sheryl is mistress and Alto is her slave; this is how I interpret their relationship.
Spoiler for Manga:
The thing is if their relationship is going to be final it's not going to stay as "Sheryl is mistress and Alto is her slave". If their relationship is still like that at around 19/20 (unless a second season is confirmed) all "my money" goes on Ranka at that point.

As for the manga spoiler

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-01, 03:49   Link #100
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Sheryl needs to sing another concert. That was my fave part so far.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Closed Thread

Tags
characters