AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-14, 15:20   Link #21
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
Hey Sushi-Y, you know which TV network Haruhi is broadcast on?

and how many episodes is planned for it?

Oh, and do you know the exact date the first episode was aired?

sorry for the questions, need to add it to the Wiki page.

Broadcasting Stations (ordered by initial air date)

* Chiba TV: 4/2~ Sundays 24:00~24:30
* TV Saitama: 4/2~ Sundays 25:30~26:00
* TV Kanagawa: 4/3~ Mondays 25:15~25:45
* KBS Kyoto: 4/3~ Mondays 25:30~26:00
* TV Hokkaido: 4/3~ Mondays 26:00~26:30
* Sun TV: 4/4~ Tuesdays 24:00~24:30
* Tohoku Broadcasting Company (TBC): 4/4~ Tuesdays 26:00~26:30
* Tokyo MX TV: 4/5~ Wednesdays 25:30~26:00
* TV Aichi: 4/5~ Wednesdays 26:28~26:58
* Hiroshima Home TV: 4/8~ Saturdays 26:05~26:35
* TVQ Kyushu Broadcasting: 4/8~ Saturdays 26:40~27:10

Episode count is just like I mentioned above in the DVD release post. It should be Episode00 + 13 regular episodes, for a total of 14 episodes.

The first airing of the first episode is listed above, under Chiba TV (April 2nd, 24:00~24:30).
Old 2006-04-14, 15:32   Link #22
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
wow. too many networks, i think i;ll just list that as "various Japanese networks"

;^^
Old 2006-04-14, 23:09   Link #23
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Forgive me for asking a silly question: So are the novels themselves licensed in North America yet? While licensing anime and manga is the norm, I have no idea if light novels are ever considered for translation by licensing companies.

The reason I ask this is that this series might interest me to do a serialized translation of the novels into English if the novels aren't licensed. Stay tuned.
Old 2006-04-14, 23:23   Link #24
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
Forgive me for asking a silly question: So are the novels themselves licensed in North America yet? While licensing anime and manga is the norm, I have no idea if light novels are ever considered for translation by licensing companies.

The reason I ask this is that this series might interest me to do a serialized translation of the novels into English if the novels aren't licensed. Stay tuned.
Not a silly question ;p. And they're not 'licensed'. For them to be translated into english would require a gutsy or desperate publisher; there is no guaranteed market for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Why would you want to be spoiled? Wouldn't it be more fun to find out on your own by following the anime?

But still, I'll answer it here, but I wouldn't read it if I were you.
Spoiler:
Stolen for the FAQ. Mwahahaha.
Old 2006-04-14, 23:57   Link #25
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophismata
Not a silly question ;p. And they're not 'licensed'. For them to be translated into english would require a gutsy or desperate publisher; there is no guaranteed market for them.
That great to hear, now I have the vigour to really start this "project", until some "gutsy or desparate publisher" really decides he wants to do my work.

I'm serious, I think I'll start a Suzumiya novel English translation progress thread and bring in other novel readers to help out as well.
Old 2006-04-15, 00:16   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually... its a relatively unexplored area in hobbydom as far as I can tell. I picked up a few Shuffle! novels just to see what they were about but I wasn't interested enough in the story line to translate very much.

Haruhi's novels... OTOH .... might be a lot of fun, especially with all the odd jargon slung around. That might be worth a small thread in itself if a few people are puzzling over various parts. I might order the novels myself... even if they're beyond my current skill -- they'd make some incentive for a great read down the road.
Old 2006-04-15, 00:29   Link #27
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

*is totally willing to edit*
Old 2006-04-15, 00:38   Link #28
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Haruhi's novels... OTOH .... might be a lot of fun, especially with all the odd jargon slung around. That might be worth a small thread in itself if a few people are puzzling over various parts. I might order the novels myself... even if they're beyond my current skill -- they'd make some incentive for a great read down the road.
Hey, that's an excellent idea; most of my English skill comes from extensive reading; reading Japanese would be a great way to improve my written language.

Of course, my problem at the moment is a large gap between written and spoken skill; being unfamiliar with the word forms, I'm a painfully slow reader (though that can be improved), but more importantly, while I can understand spoken Japanese (to a degree), reading kanji is another matter.
Old 2006-04-15, 00:58   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Anyone know if the novels provide furigana with the kanji? That speeds me up immensely (I know hiragana and katakana but am still pretty preschooler with kanji).

Mahoraba: Heartful Days is nice enough to do that, but Tsukuyomi Moon Phase doesn't.

I just ordered the Haruhi novels ... so I guess I'm committed no matter what.
Old 2006-04-15, 02:01   Link #30
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Anyone know if the novels provide furigana with the kanji? That speeds me up immensely (I know hiragana and katakana but am still pretty preschooler with kanji).
Furiganas are present, but not all the time. Either way, this is probably not a very easy novel for beginner or intermediate Japanese learners to read, much less try to translate it.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to hurt my own head trying to translate Yuki's denpa-talk.

For example,
"次元振動周期を位相変換し重力波に置き換える作用を持つ力場を体表面に発生させた"
"選択時空間内の流体結合情報を凍結、既知時空間連続体の該当ポイントにおいて凍結を解除した"

And I wouldn't want to touch Koizumi's either,
"喋る猫やミクルビームが存在することに何らかの理由があれば、その時点で別の世界が見えてきます。我々が 知らなかっただけで猫が喋ったり朝比奈さんがビームを出したりする現実は確かにあったのだ、ということにな るのです。観測によって存在証明ができたわけです。しかしその瞬間、我々の世界は変容します。超常現像がな い世界から超常現像を内包した世界を認識し直さなければならないのです。我々の知っていた現実世界は、実は 偽りのものだったことになるのですから"

Or the Kyon-style tongue twister narrations,
"そう言われてみるとそんな気がしないでもないようなあるようなでも大声では言いかねるくらいには見えない でもないね"

Anyone who knows Japanese will probably agree with me, this isn't exactly manga text.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-15 at 02:29.
Old 2006-04-15, 20:42   Link #31
NeoSam

Some magazine info :P

Source: Kadokawa, J-Magazine

===

The Sneaker
[seinen]
Serializes light novels for young men.

Bi-monthly novel magazine (released on the 30th of every even month)
Average Age of readers: 17.8 years old
Circulation: 22,500 (According to J-Magazine its: 23,583)
Format: B5
Price: 720 yen
Readers: 82% males, 18% females

===

Shounen Ace
[shounen]
A manga magazine targeting male otakus.

Monthly manga magazine (released on the 26th of every month)
Average Age of readers: 17 years old
Circulation: 59,167 (According to J-Magazine its: 68,917)
Format: B5
Price: 440 yen
Readers: 87% males, 13% females

===
Old 2006-04-18, 17:24   Link #32
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Quote:
Originally Posted by athos
How do you define "Haruhiism"?
Not directly related to Haruhi, but I find it amusing that WordNet's definition of -ism is "a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school"
Old 2006-04-19, 00:18   Link #33
nasheq

Ep0 3:20 (after mikuru gets her paycheck and bows once)
Why does Mikuru say "goodby ... oh" she hesitates and then puts her hand to her face and then says bye again. WTF?

What is an esper?

Is there any significance in the bunny suit?

Why did Yuki take off her glasses for ep 0?

Is the Stirling Inferno real?

Are the shops for the commercials real places in real life?

What is the cat in this episode and why does the cat talk?
Why is yuki holding the cat?

What is Itsuki's power - and why does Yuki want it?
From this ep it seems Itsuki is the key to Yuki's power of "advancing the universe" ... ok wtf does that mean?

Who's the girl with really long blue green hair that throws Mikuru into the water?

is the mikuru - yuki - itsuki love triangle real?

what's kyon's real name? who is he? does he have any special powers?

Are Mikuru's titties real? how old is she? are those titties so great cause haruhi changed reality?L MAO

Last edited by nasheq; 2006-04-19 at 00:36.
Old 2006-04-19, 00:30   Link #34
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
*takes Nasheq to look at episode 1*

Kid, episode 1 was a movie made by Haruhi, if you watch it all the way to the end, you'll see. If you've been listening to Kyon's comments along the episode as well.

Though it still doesn't explain the cat being able to talk as Kyon went, "Hey Shaimsen, stop talking!" He wasn't surprised it was talking, he was surprised that he was talking when he wasn't suppose too.

An esper if I recall correctly has something to do with people with ESP or telepathy.

Priceless though, when the fireworks were going and the teachers just rush in like WTF!?

EDIT: Yeah many edits, I've been sifting through other information and apparently Yuki was told by Kyon that she looks better without glasses. Also, the series isn't really linear, episode 1, since SOS is formed making the movie, then episode 2 which is the start, etc.
Old 2006-04-19, 00:43   Link #35
Adigard

You should... umm... rewatch Ep.Zero... then maybe watch a few more episodes. If you haven't yet figured out that Ep.Zero was a movie made by this club of high school students... err... yeah... And while events in the movie are a pretty damn scary reflection of events in the Anime itself... that's another story entirely ^^

I don't suggest reading any of these spoilers... as they're going to be rather vague... but here is what I've managed to figure out thus far.

From nasheq

Why does Mikuru say "goodby ... oh" she hesitates and then puts her hand to her
face and then says bye again. WTF?

Spoiler:

Is there any significance in the bunny suit?

Spoiler:

Why did Yuki take off her glasses for ep 0?

Spoiler:

Is the Stirling Inferno real?

Spoiler:

Are the shops for the commercials real places in real life?

Spoiler:

What is the cat in this episode and why does the cat talk?

Spoiler:

Why is yuki holding the cat?

Spoiler:

is the mikuru - yuki - itsuki love triangle real?

Spoiler:

what's kyon's real name? who is he? does he have any special powers?

Spoiler:

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-19 at 01:03.
Old 2006-04-19, 00:50   Link #36
nasheq

i already know it's a movie (Watched eps 0-2. but i read in the forums that the movie reflects reality. hence in expectation - minor things in the movie should have a great deal of significance.
Old 2006-04-19, 00:54   Link #37
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasheq
From this ep it seems Itsuki is the key to Yuki's power of "advancing the universe" ... ok wtf does that mean?
Itsuki was (IMO) only talking about himself in that scene... but outside of the movie he was talking about someone else entirely as the key who is unable to affect anything, but rather is a means to open a door.

//EDIT: As an aside... shouldn't this whole topic be moved to the Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 1 Discussion where it belongs? >_>;;
Old 2006-04-19, 00:59   Link #38
molitar

Are the novels actual novels or they manga's with pictures? Just curious I seen manga mentioned and novel mentioned in a few threads.
Old 2006-04-19, 01:01   Link #39
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar
Are the novels actual novels or they manga's with pictures? Just curious I seen manga mentioned and novel mentioned in a few threads.
Suzumiya Haruhi novel and manga
Old 2006-04-19, 01:02   Link #40
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar
This started as a series of "light novels" which means that they are short novels which include illustrated pages. There is also a manga of more recent vintage.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread