AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-01-23, 17:02   Link #81
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm not stressed though. I'm just critiqueing.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-23, 19:50   Link #82
Strahan

You're making the wrong inference again, heh. I was speaking of myself, not you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Yep, I was referring to us not the writer. Since there is nothing we can do about it, I just shrug and not let it bother me. Less stressful
Also I didn't mean it literally. I meant less stressful as a colloquial way of indicating it's not a significant concern or not worth worrying about

Aaaaanyway, to steer away from pedantry and back to topic; I agree, it's best if a show can meet the three episode rule but there are always exceptions. If I stuck to that in everything, I'd never have watched all of Star Trek the Next Generation after all lol. Season 1 was pretty weak. Same with Babylon 5. Sinclair just did not click with me, but once Sheridan came in it got good.

Some shows just need some more time to build up steam. Problem is knowing what shows are worth putting in that time investment. That's where forums come in handy.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-23, 21:56   Link #83
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
"What can ya do." Well, as the audience, nothing obvious. As the writer, a plethora of things. Like making it ten minutes. Or show him going from hiding spot to hiding spot to get moments of rest. Like, anything other than what the writer actually did.

...Such as compressing the first three episodes down to a single episode. You know, remove all the useless fluff?
I don't see as a big deal; 4h or 10 mins, it would have had the same effect(run to exhaustion), but I would agree that it would make sense to cut it to lower time and that 4hrs could potentially take you out of any immersion you'd have in that scene.

I'm not so sure about condensing the material in these first episodes. Yes, the non-Jinwoo sections could be removed or reworked(although personally it did not bother me, but that could be because I know the source material). However, I felt most of the scenes pertaining to him were important for setting a tone, specifically for how his life was before him becoming a 'player', and how he'll shape himself after. Many a story just, for lack of a better adage, isekai truck-kun in the first 10 mins into new world and OP skill, and I feel rather disconnected to the character. I tend to appreciate the unimportant minor details to an extent and I think the slow buildup has merit here.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-24, 07:58   Link #84
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Flashbacks and flash forwards are very useful in such situations. And have been used to decent to even great effect.

Also, I do not see it as "a big deal" per se. But it is a "deal" and I would like to not ignore it. Especially if it can result in a fun discussion on how it can be done better.
Old 2024-01-27, 13:00   Link #85
Frontier

Are we sure Jinwoo didn't put in at least a few points towards his AGI? Dude was flipping around like an acrobat. Though all that strength comes in pretty useful for punching out a wolf .

But if his fists aren't enough, luckily he's got a sword stashed in his inventory (which is a thing he has now) and slices the thing up .

So Jinwoo's daily quests boost his stats and all that contributes to his actual combat effectivenes to where he levels up faster in actual battle. Seems simple enough. And there's even an "in-game" currency, even if he doesn't have access to the in-game store yet .

Challenge the boss or level grind? The wolves and Jinwoo's own insatiable need to get stronger make that decision for him .

Joohee feels responsible for the Dungeon Break and resolves to get back in the fight like Jinwoo, though she's still emotionally traumatized .

Jinwoo is leveling up fast! And conveniently the colors of his enemies' names denote their power in relation to him so he knows exactly what he's fighting .

Jinwoo finally challenges the boss and it's a giant blue serpent that really knocks him around throughout a subway station...Jinwoo is a bit out of his depth, but his own frustration and anger over his weakness and realization that the only way to make it through this world is strength makes him resolve not to give up and keep pressing on. And his efforts are rewarded by hitching a ride on that snake and crushing it's neck to finish it off. Even gets a handy new knife in the process .

Dang, Jinwoo feels like a different person the way he coldly and rationally analyzes everything in front of him. And that's not even talking about how he just casually breaks the shield of a D-Rank Boss that was pounding on lower-rank hunters with his new swole arm and a broken sword. And Joohee saw him !
Old 2024-01-27, 14:52   Link #86
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

In D&D terms, what he used wasn't Acrobatics, it was Athletics.

Incidentally, the average acrobat isn't exactly noodly, they're jacked up af. They have to be in order to support their own weight (and often the full weight of one or more other acrobats) with just two or even one limb.

As for my opinion on the episode.

Nothing happened really. He spent some time leveling up, then got knocked around by the boss. Then he suddenly had an edgy moment because "people are usually mean to him" and this somehow made him able to contradict himself when he said he needed a weapon to take the boss down, and just tore him apart with his bare hands.

Then he did that "assist the struggling party from the shadows" trope.

And nobody will ever know it was him.

We get it, Jinwoo is the eminence in shadow. Except not as a joke.
Old 2024-01-27, 17:29   Link #87
grecefar

From the weakest to the strongest, we are already seeing change his personality.

I enjoyed the chapter, it was a good fight against the snake boss.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-27, 20:11   Link #88
Rasty

The first episode was impressively unimpressive (and I rather liked the web novel version).

They clearly have a decent budget, since the animation itself was solid, but everything else felt off. They jumped all around, lots of action that I don't have any reason to care about and lots of infodumps that should have been done either better, later when relevant, or not at all. Because of that, I have no attachment to any character and no tension can be built in 15s chunks. All in all, we got like 2min with the main character and about 10s of his motivation. They completely skipped BGM and the OP isn't my style (though I guess it's not objectively bad). It looks like the first work of a new studio, but it's done by an established one, so no idea why it turned out like this...

Anyway, I continued watching and the quality improved massively. Though, the whole series would be better if they just threw away the whole first episode and left just 2 to 3 minutes of quick intro into the second. It's the worst start of a decent series since Arifureta (still better than that), but I wonder what they were thinking. The first episode is the most important as it decides whether people will continue watching or not.

As for the 4th episode. The quality was great, but the MC deserved to die against the snake. Seriously, he knew the boss is much stronger than him, had no idea what it is and his weapon was obviously about to give out and yet he went for it. That's clearly just unnecessarily complex suicide. If they at least left out the part where he knows it's stronger before going for it, it could be just blamed on overconfidence and high adrenaline.

Last edited by Rasty; 2024-01-27 at 21:08.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-27, 21:28   Link #89
grecefar

The boss wasn't stronger than him, it was at the same level, he explained the color in the names. Orange is the same level as him.

Of course he could've wait or go in better prepared, he was already beaten for fighting too much and the sword was worn out, this was just typical MC moment.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-27, 21:45   Link #90
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I have to say if this is what he can do by just putting points into strength what the heck does the agility stat actually do ? Let him teleport? That was some weird acrobatics to throw in at the start that really wasn't needed.

I suppose it's a given since he's by himself. But this guy really likes talking to himself . I bet the snake was like "I'm just trying to eat you, the life story thing isn't needed." Poor snake got smoked due to the main character having his own thing going on during that fight . Definitely a MC moment of being rewarded for being kind of dumb.

The show isn't anything particularly good. But it's not terrible. They are clearly putting effort into the visuals and the voice actors is throwing himself into it no question about that .
Old 2024-01-27, 21:47   Link #91
Rasty

^^ You are right, I thought that orange is a special color for bosses. But while checking that part, I also noticed he had 2 "old short swords" in his inventory that he could have used instead of his broken sword stump.

Still doesn't change that his reasoning is stupid (paraphrasing):
"I don't feel like I can take the one down here."
"Since my perception stat is higher I can feel this instinctively."
Result? He just goes there without any preparations or even being careful (he gets ambushed in a pretty simple environment of the station platform).

^ Speaking about acrobatics, the goblins in ep3 were doing a great job of pretending to be attacking while trying their best to not hit him. The MC is just flailing around and often standing in place getting surrounded by the goblins, but they manage to not stab him. At one point he stands there, one goblin jumps right behind him, swings the dagger (which supposedly misses for no reason), and only after that gets slashed at which it parries.
Old 2024-01-27, 22:47   Link #92
Greenish Growth

Yeah, this was one of those "Let's get this part over with faster" instead of a "What should he really be doing" kind of moments that you see in stories.

His voice actor was really yelling there.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-27, 22:55   Link #93
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
^ Speaking about acrobatics, the goblins in ep3 were doing a great job of pretending to be attacking while trying their best to not hit him. The MC is just flailing around and often standing in place getting surrounded by the goblins, but they manage to not stab him. At one point he stands there, one goblin jumps right behind him, swings the dagger (which supposedly misses for no reason), and only after that gets slashed at which it parries.
Yeah this feels like anime series of old (or Dragon Ball-type Shounen) where people have time to talk between scenes. Aside from the horrible ep1, the episodes' art and animation are at least of decent, but far from upscale, quality now.

I'm sticking with this series since I went through the manwha, this ep just cleared chapter 17, and the sword-throw on paper looks more impressive.

Overall this is currently between Weakest Tamer and 7th Time Loop in the series I'm watching, and thus nowhere near Kusuriya and Frieren.
Old 2024-01-27, 23:46   Link #94
Twi

Was the healer girl also at the scene of the monster on the street in the manhwa? It's been a while since I read it.
Old 2024-01-27, 23:59   Link #95
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Yeah, this was one of those "Let's get this part over with faster" instead of a "What should he really be doing" kind of moments that you see in stories.

His voice actor was really yelling there.
Taito Ban is really selling Jinwoo here for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Was the healer girl also at the scene of the monster on the street in the manhwa? It's been a while since I read it.
Spoiler:
Old 2024-01-28, 15:17   Link #96
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Taito Ban is really selling Jinwoo here for me.

Spoiler:
Yeah, she was there.
Old 2024-01-28, 15:54   Link #97
Rasty

Btw., is it just me, or is the VA sound quality sometimes terrible? I don't mean the performance, but how it was captured/mixed. This was especially the case in the first episode, but happens in the later ones once in a while too.
Old 2024-01-28, 19:06   Link #98
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I have to say if this is what he can do by just putting points into strength what the heck does the agility stat actually do ?
Reaction speed, hand-eye coordination, flexibility.

Backflips definitely fall under strength, not sure why that'd be agility.
Old 2024-01-28, 21:22   Link #99
The Green One

Welp our boy had his contractually obligated edgelord awakening moment as he monologues onnnnn and onnnnn about betrayal, strong trampling the weak, blah blah blah.....
Old 2024-01-29, 03:31   Link #100
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I didn't like that either. If he was able to kill the snek with his bare hands he should have just done so from the get go. Instead he's trying to show up some audience that isn't there. There's a reason I call him the eminence in shadow.