AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-10, 12:55   Link #1
barcode120x
RN

Lookin for an anime with youkai + romance

I saw Otome Youkai Zakuro in another thread and I really liked the series. So, I'm basically looking for anime similar to it where there is sort of action, youkai or onmyouji (I think I spelled it right...), and romance (it HAS to have romance even if it's slightly there between).

I think I'll add another type of style to my recommendation; this youkai-action dealing with swords (I think protagonists with swords that do over 9000 damage). An example would be Blue Exorcist and Grenadier. It doesn't necessarily have to involve swords only, I actually like the youkai-action as is but swords and romance are more peticulars I like

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”

Last edited by barcode120x; 2011-12-10 at 19:32.
Old 2011-12-10, 13:46   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Have you seen Spice & Wolf? Not a traditional japanese yokai, but a western folklore diety instead.
Old 2011-12-10, 14:10   Link #3
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Have you seen Spice & Wolf? Not a traditional japanese yokai, but a western folklore diety instead.
This ^

Also I recommended in another thread (possibly the same) Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase. It has both Japanese youkai (as well as vampires etc) and romance.
Old 2011-12-10, 14:32   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Inuyasha maybe?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-12-10, 14:36   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Well, if it is action-youkai-romance that you seek, I think Tokyo Majin Gakuen will fit.

I also second Spice and Wolf & Inuyasha.

Sorry if you have seen them since I don't know your 'watched list' ^_^.
Old 2011-12-10, 19:21   Link #6
barcode120x
RN

Currently watching S&W and loving it. Gonna check out the others later, much more suggestions appreciated

I will add Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase and Tokyo Majin Gakuen to my list to watch (Does Tokyo Majin Gakuen have romance? Just browsing descriptions but none say it can)

I think I'll add another type of style to my recommendation; this youkai-action dealing with swords (I think protagonists with swords pwn). An example would be Blue Exorcist and Grenadier.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2011-12-10, 23:59   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
(Does Tokyo Majin Gakuen have romance? Just browsing descriptions but none say it can)

I think I'll add another type of style to my recommendation; this youkai-action dealing with swords (I think protagonists with swords pwn). An example would be Blue Exorcist and Grenadier.
Yes, Tokyo Majin Gakuen does have romance. Although it doesn't really focus on it like Inuyasha, for example, it still has a good portion of it.

As for your addition, one main protagonist does use a sword in Tokyo Majin G.
Old 2011-12-11, 02:53   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Inuyasha maybe?
Yeah, seems almost too obvious but Inuyasha for sure. I don't think this show gets the credit it deserves.
Old 2011-12-11, 03:03   Link #9
Forsaken_Infinity

Ayakashi: Japanese Classical Horror and Mononoke. They aren't exactly romantic series but romance is included in some form or another. Both the shows are separated into different arcs that use a fresh setting and plot and are great shows to watch so you can't go wrong with them imo.

Nurarihyon no Mago is a recent show that used Youkai and has romantic elements. The second season's still airing or something.
Old 2011-12-11, 07:42   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Ayakashi: Japanese Classical Horror and Mononoke.
A strong second to these, and the protagonist even uses a sword. You'll notice throughout these stories that everyone around the Apothecary is shocked that he's carrying a sword at all. That's because in the period the show is set, only samurai were permitted to carry swords by Imperial edict.

RightStuf still has about 200 copies of the Bakeneko arc of Ayakashi; Mononoke is fansubbed.
Old 2011-12-11, 15:29   Link #11
Undertaker

If it's youkai action, how can anyone not mention Nurarihyon no Mago yet.

The main character is a half-human/half-youkai offspring and the next successor of a youkai clan. He fought for the clan as well as old conflicts that started centuries ago. There is all sorts of youkai there as well as onmyouji clans. A triangle exist for the main character as well as various past romantic story involving his father and grandfather.

Edit: Forsaken_Infinity already recommended it, so I guess I'll second it.
Old 2011-12-11, 16:41   Link #12
Niji

Also, Kekkaishi and Shounen Onmyouji should work. The former is more humoristic, Romeo and Juliet type of romance, and "boy getting stronger" topic. SO is one of my all time favorites, favorite chars in anime history, good story, high production values, strong end.
Old 2011-12-12, 15:56   Link #13
Niji

Just remembered another good one: Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi (has nothing to do with classical horror show Ayakashi). It is well done, historically interesting too.

Last edited by Niji; 2011-12-12 at 16:37.
Old 2011-12-12, 21:59   Link #14
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I agree Inuyasha would be best