AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-03-07, 21:12   Link #361
rulfo

One could call this an ending already and I cannot disagree with it.

I really love how it all comes into place. They made use of all the client's she's worked with for this particular moment. IMO this really makes anime violet much better than the novel counterpart for various reasons.

Another thing that I feel that people will miss
Spoiler for Nice touch:

Can't wait for the next episodes.
Old 2018-03-07, 21:18   Link #362
Kazu-kun

The episode felt somewhat overly melodramatic but it was decent overall. I'm glad Violet is finally moving on and realizing that she can keep on living even without Gilbert. He was important to her, but she can find meaning in life without him. It's hard, but she can do it.

This was a necessary character development, specially if Gilbert is alive. It wouldn't do for him to show up before Violet learns to be independent. They wouldn't have any future together if she didn't grow that much before they meet again. She has to be mature enough to be his partner, not his pet.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2018-03-08 at 01:59.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-07, 21:22   Link #363
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

they dealt with the very real issue of her trauma this ep. the premise that she could go through what she did and come out only minimally scarred was a pipe dream. at minimum, she's learned to accept it, which is the first step to recovery. and the ep also dealt with how she's overcoming it, by doing a good job outlining what she had done, post killing machine.

that said, i don't like how they arranged the order of episodes. they could have easily done a few more stand alone stories (there are still two great ones they haven't touched on yet) then finished the series with this. they're going to go back and do them now? i guess that works.

i also thought she was going to go suppress the resistance movement to let off some steam. it'd be badass to see soldier Violet. though we may get that in a later chapter.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-07, 21:32   Link #364
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
they dealt with the very real issue of her trauma this ep. the premise that she could go through what she did and come out only minimally scarred was a pipe dream. at minimum, she's learned to accept it, which is the first step to recovery. and the ep also dealt with how she's overcoming it, by doing a good job outlining what she had done, post killing machine.

that said, i don't like how they arranged the order of episodes. they could have easily done a few more stand alone stories (there are still two great ones they haven't touched on yet) then finished the series with this. they're going to go back and do them now? i guess that works.

i also thought she was going to go suppress the resistance movement to let off some steam. it'd be badass to see soldier Violet. though we may get that in a later chapter.
There's still something lacking though. While, Violet Evergarden as a series was sold to revolve around Violet's job as a Doll, the story is still regarding her. I see a major focus shift at this point. However there are still some things that go unresolved. Violet's childhood was still left in the dark and this merely covers her military phase.
Old 2018-03-08, 00:29   Link #365
Eater of All
NOM

I must be missing something. Why assume that Gilbert is not dead? Just because his body was never found? Some kind of guesswork based on narrative cliches? What meaningful purpose would his reappearance serve for either Violet's character or the story's theme?

On the other hand, having a character go through the pain of acceptance and learn to live independently only to revive someone at the end for a "happy end" does sound familiar to me....

IMO, even if Gilbert isn't dead, at best I would hope that he's travelling around the world with no intention of ever seeking out Violet. Might make for a cute epilogue.

Last edited by LKK; 2018-03-08 at 09:51. Reason: removed quote
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 01:05   Link #366
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I liked the part where Violet was slowly trying to choke herself out. Very powerful scene.

And I still think Gilb's dead.
blakstealth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 08:48   Link #367
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I felt that the very fact that Violet was trying to choke herself out one night and setting off to deliver letters isn't a flaw in storytelling. In fact, it shows how following orders became second nature and how it serves as an anchor of sanity for Violet. If not for Hodgins, Violet would have suffered a worse fate.

This episode is a fulfilling end to the story already. It even has the movie theme song. But with 4 episodes to go, there's still some airtime left. What would it be about? Obviously it's gonna be about Gilbert and probably a more comprehensive look into Violet's past. That's the only thing that needs to be explored, how she ended up in the hands of the Bougainvillea family.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 09:11   Link #368
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

This show can't be over until the song Violet Snow is played in its purest form.
blakstealth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 09:16   Link #369
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Damn right you are. They better knock our socks off as soon as they play Violet Snow again.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 10:19   Link #370
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
I must be missing something. Why assume that Gilbert is not dead? Just because his body was never found? Some kind of guesswork based on narrative cliches? What meaningful purpose would his reappearance serve for either Violet's character or the story's theme?

On the other hand, having a character go through the pain of acceptance and learn to live independently only to revive someone at the end for a "happy end" does sound familiar to me....

IMO, even if Gilbert isn't dead, at best I would hope that he's travelling around the world with no intention of ever seeking out Violet. Might make for a cute epilogue.
Well with all that medical technology that they have (Violet's arms is a stunning example) it would be a little unreasonable for him to be dead. He just needed to get medical attention.

Also, there was no need for that family to take care of Violet to that extent unless Gilbert is alive. The title did not provide us with the alternative for what happens to everyone if they don't help Violet. There is something that's keeping them in line other than their conscience. Violet's surgery is also expensive. Who paid for it? All that points to a benefactor working behind the scenes which could be Gilbert or his grateful family for bringing him back alive.

Violet needs to develop an independent personality and know what love is. Once that is accomplished, then she can see Gilbert. If Gilbert is alive, that is the route I would go.

Last edited by orion; 2018-03-08 at 10:39.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 10:21   Link #371
HandofFate

on episode 8

love the way they're depicting how feral young Violet was when they found her and she was given to Gilbert.
Old 2018-03-08, 10:39   Link #372
wuhugm
Confused Shark

That looks like the last episode?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 10:40   Link #373
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Man this show, gets right down into those feels. I liked how it showed all the results of her letter writing toward the end of the ep, was really beautifully done

According to Netflix there is 1 more ep to come.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 11:07   Link #374
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Man this show, gets right down into those feels. I liked how it showed all the results of her letter writing toward the end of the ep, was really beautifully done

According to Netflix there is 1 more ep to come.
There should at least be 4 episodes more.
Old 2018-03-08, 11:12   Link #375
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

*Shrugs*

I hope there is, though Netflix have always only shown 10 in the episode list.

Edit: Hmm correction theres now 13... strange it definitely only went as far as 10 before. =E

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 12:25   Link #376
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It definitely felt like the series could have ended there, but there are still mysteries left to uncover, mainly Violet's origin.

I was happy Violet managed to come to term not only with Gilbert's "death" but also her past, thanks to the help (direct for some, indirect for others) of the people she helped before. She realized for the first time just how important her job is, and therefore that her life has meaning even without her beloved Major in it. Hodgins also taught her that while her past will never be erased, the good deeds she has and will accomplish will always remain as well.
Old 2018-03-09, 14:43   Link #377
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Just want to post a reminder:

1) if you want to compare the anime to any other outside material, including the source material (but could also include other novels, other anime by KyoAni or others, etc.), you must use a properly-labeled spoiler tag for the whole discussion. Only things in the anime can be discussed in the open in an anime thread.

2) if you are a source-material reader, you may not "speculate" about future events in this anime thread, or make any comments that allude to the resolution of open plot events. If you want to talk about the way the anime is adapting the source, you have to go to the source material thread.

Please review the spoiler policy for more information. Some posts in this thread were edited or deleted.
Old 2018-03-09, 19:16   Link #378
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So what are Claudia and Cattleya going to do with all that "burning" they talked about? And is their burning the same as Violet's? This conversation, and a scene between Claudia and Cattelya earlier in the show, pretty much removes Claudia from the possible role of Gilbert's successor/replacement. I don't see any other contenders on the horizon either, except maybe the guy with the crutch in this episode.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 19:20   Link #379
Kazu-kun

In the case of Claudia, his regret (the "burning") is that he didn't help Violet back then when she was in the military. He said he's taking care of her to atone for that, remember?
Old 2018-03-09, 20:05   Link #380
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thanks, I do remember that now. Still where does that leave Cattelya? I thought Claudia's inclusion of her with him and Violet as "burning" was surprisingly pointed. Violet's burning concerns her coming to grips with her past. Claudia is burning because he feels he failed Violet. After Claudia tells Cattelya that they, too, are both burning, he goes on to describe the "burns that seem to have faded but left a mark deep down." Cattelya smiles ruefully and deflects the discussion to Violet. Is he talking about something in their past together, or in Cattelya's past alone? I don't think we've seen enough of her back story to know what this is about. Maybe I'll go back and rewatch the first few episodes in case I missed something.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2018-03-09 at 20:15.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote