AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-10, 20:45   Link #21
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I'm glad to see somebody's picked this up, I was a little worried that nobody would. My most anticipated series of the year, so it's important. ^_^;

Anyway, I don't see why people say the OVAs sucked compared to the first series, considering they were still canon material, and bridged the gap for this second season, which should hopefully conclude the manga. Nothing to complain about there, I think.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 21:00   Link #22
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
So, is it good fun like the TV series, or horrible crap like the OVA?

EDIT: To answer my own question, it appears to be a bit of both. Better than the OVA, but not better enough...
I'm confused. Besides referring to the quality, do you also mean that this series and the OVA will showcase similar events?

Actually, I'm really wondering about that, since I haven't been following the latest Genshiken developments save for the manga. Will the second season skip (or maybe just skim through) whatever the OVA episodes already tackled?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 01:23   Link #23
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
I'm glad to see somebody's picked this up, I was a little worried that nobody would.
I must say I blinked twice when I noticed who picked this up tho. It does appear to be reasonably accurately fansubbed though, it's not another one of their joke subs. I nearly added it to AS too, until it occurred to me this is a MFI series Interestingly this group seems to have brought their own "fan crowd" to Genshiken, as download numbers seem quite insane -- bigger than what I've seen for Clannad or Gundam 00 for example!

Anyway, just to chip in, I can't see why people bitch about the OVAs that much. While I can't recall exactly what they were about again (I watch to much stuff to remember everything), I can not remember them being bad in story or animation quality.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 01:51   Link #24
Kagami
My darlin darlin PLEASE!

I just watched ep 1 and I was excited to watch this series going into 2nd season. They made Ogiue look real cute even though I didn't think much of her in the first place.
Kagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 02:55   Link #25
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

FAPPING AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT

Spoiler for ritsuko:
Old 2007-10-11, 05:10   Link #26
ZODDGUTS

The OVA series was just fine it wasn't till the 2nd half of the third OVA episode where you can see the animation taking a dive not sure what happen there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post

Spoiler for ritsuko:
Phew and here I thought I was the only one heh. Arms Studio is showing their previous experience with hentai very well and those doujin covers were nice too.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 05:45   Link #27
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

those flowers are indeed nicely detailed. I hope there are many memorable scenes yet ahead.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 08:14   Link #28
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Anyway, just to chip in, I can't see why people bitch about the OVAs that much. While I can't recall exactly what they were about again (I watch to much stuff to remember everything), I can not remember them being bad in story or animation quality.
Just like the first series, the OVA's were perfect adaptations from the manga --- and that goes for the first episode of the second season. So i don't see anything wrong with the OVA's.
Old 2007-10-11, 08:44   Link #29
The Avatar
The Avatar of Death

Gotta go rewatch the first series and the ova but I skimmed through the episode and it doesn't look bad. I'm just a disappointed that they didn't used biidama ending sequence. I love it and I seriously thought they would carry the "tradition" over since they used it in the ova
The Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 09:15   Link #30
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I don't have the first season around anymore to compare, but yes, you're right: when comparing the character designs from the OVA to the first ep of the second season, the second season looks way better.

OVA:

Season 2:

I should note that OVAs usually have more a bigger than TV series, so they should look better. Then again, these OVAs were extra's on the Kujibiki Unbalance DVDs iirc, so they might have to have made them with an "extras" budget, which I can imagine is not big.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 09:26   Link #31
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow like GHD said I kinda did a double take when I saw who had picked this one up...Was convinced it was some kindof joke or something.

But it was a pretty quality episode and im glad to see the genshi crew back in action. As for the OVA...yea the animation quality and designs was so far removed from the series it kinda made more then alittle bit of a eyesore...But the story was fine so meh evens out I guess.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 13:28   Link #32
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post

Spoiler for ritsuko:
I am soo gonna watch Kujibiki Unbalance when i have the time just for the lawls -

Ogiue is quite daring to admit to being able to draw ero doujins (isnt she just dam cute when she is stressed out? XD)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 17:41   Link #33
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Yeah, mixed feelings on the character designs post series-1. It's closer to the manga style, I suppose, but I preferred the more "anime-tic" (anippoi?) style of the first series. Still, very glad to have this back and I hope they get to a certain pairing from the manga soon...

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 18:37   Link #34
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
So, is it good fun like the TV series, or horrible crap like the OVA?

EDIT: To answer my own question, it appears to be a bit of both. Better than the OVA, but not better enough...
Are you referring to the animation quality or the storyline quality? Storyline in OVA didn't seem to deviate at all from the TV series.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 19:06   Link #35
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
S1: I thought that Genshiken was good considering it was an anime about otaku. I didn't think much about it until I started watching the OAV's; aside from the animation changes I actually liked the different "feel" to the story. I think someone has said it before but it changed from a satire about otaku to a slice-of-life story that dealt with the relationships of the characters. I enjoyed the OAV's and I look forward to watching the 2nd TV series.
Konata-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 19:21   Link #36
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
S1: I thought that Genshiken was good considering it was an anime about otaku. I didn't think much about it until I started watching the OAV's; aside from the animation changes I actually liked the different "feel" to the story. I think someone has said it before but it changed from a satire about otaku to a slice-of-life story that dealt with the relationships of the characters. I enjoyed the OAV's and I look forward to watching the 2nd TV series.
I actually felt that all OAVs were still very relevant to otaku lifestyle. Ogiue's introduction/cosplay episode were an exploration into another kind of otaku. Madarame episode was a look deeper into Otaku and their relationship with the norm. They did an episode very similar in concept during the TV series.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 19:43   Link #37
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I don't have the first season around anymore to compare, but yes, you're right: when comparing the character designs from the OVA to the first ep of the second season, the second season looks way better.

I should note that OVAs usually have more a bigger than TV series, so they should look better. Then again, these OVAs were extra's on the Kujibiki Unbalance DVDs iirc, so they might have to have made them with an "extras" budget, which I can imagine is not big.
It should be noted that the character designs for the OVA were purposely changed. (From what I recall, it was to match the Kujian TV character designs.) It wasn't a budget issue. Since the second season is back to Genshiken as the primary show, everything should switch back to the 1st season/Kujian OVA character designs.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 00:43   Link #38
Major1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Yeah, mixed feelings on the character designs post series-1. It's closer to the manga style, I suppose, but I preferred the more "anime-tic" (anippoi?) style of the first series. Still, very glad to have this back and I hope they get to a certain pairing from the manga soon...
I haven't seen the first series in a while, but I'm digging the character designs for this series. I got a kick of the subtle movements in Oguie's ponytail-thing - you could see it "jump" when she got excited.

As for a certain pairing (assuming it's the one I think it is), I'm pretty sure they'll get to it eventually - the anime has been a pretty faithful adaptation of the manga so far. I don't see any reason why they would change now. I imagine the 2nd series of Genshiken will see the manga through to the end.
Major1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 06:30   Link #39
Vicke

I think they did a good job with the first episode, looking forward to the rest
Vicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 12:32   Link #40
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Quote:
Wow like GHD said I kinda did a double take when I saw who had picked this one up...Was convinced it was some kindof joke or something.
Same here. Jaw Drop + 100 %. Out of all the groups out their, "You know who" was the last anyone would expect to take this.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arms, comedy, romance, seinen, slice of life