AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-17, 14:05   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Renewed Rumours of Final Fantasy VII remake

thanks to FFXIII sales dive bombing, we might get a FFVII remake afterall.

Quote:
[NSFW] http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...e-no-ff13-dlc/ [NSFW]

Final Fantasy XIII’s producer has expressed his interest in a Final Fantasy VII remake, and has explicitly denied there will be any DLC for Final Fantasy XIII.
Yoshinori Kitase, a Square Enix game producer and head of one of its development units, commented to the the effect that he had “a great interest” in an “HD” remake of Final Fantasy VII, saying that such a project would take the form of a “perfect” realisation.
Previously another top figure in Square Enix, Tetsuya Nomura, had scotched the notion of such a remake, so where this leaves the hypothetical project is not clear.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2010-02-17 at 22:10.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 14:29   Link #2
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
thanks to FFXIII sales diving bombing, we might get a FFVII remake afterall.
but but it's too hard to make a FFVII remake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostgamer.com
Kitase explains difficulty in bringing Final Fantasy 7 remake to PS3

n the same interview in which Toriyama explains the linearity of Final Fantasy XIII, he also mentioned the lack of towns was due to the fact that in producing HD quality graphics it would take far too much time for the developers to create.

Alongside such comments, Yoshinori Kitase also explains that such a problem relates to being unable to currently consider the continual requests for a Final Fantasy 7 remake.

He explains, “This issue is related to whether a Final Fantasy 7 remake will happen or not. It is very hard to make games on PlayStation 3 in the same style as the games in that era had. Making graphics will take enormous time.”
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 14:46   Link #3
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
but but it's too hard to make a FFVII remake.

otoh FVII remake = $$$$$

which SE needs with FXIII sales plummeting after the initial release date.
Quote:
[NSFW] http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...0-in-2-months/ [NSFW]

Top marathon simulator Final Fantasy XIII is now being sold at bargain prices online and in Akiba stores thanks to plummeting sales and mountains of excess inventory, with the price having dropped from an admittedly outrageous ¥9,240 to ¥3,980 in the few months since its much heralded release.
and they wouldn't have as much problems with the graphics if they weren't planning to port XIII over to X360. Adding the towns is possible but it would have made the X360 port much bigger then 4disc.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2010-02-17 at 22:10.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 14:53   Link #4
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
otoh FVII remake = $$$$$

and they wouldn't have as much problems with the graphics if they weren't planning to port XIII over to X360. Adding the towns is possible but it would have made the X360 port much bigger then 4disc.

which SE needs with FXIII sales plummeting after the initial release date.
Honestly I don't mean anything by it. Just looked like an appropriate response. :P It has nothing to do with the 360 or ps3. More with SquareEnix becoming pussies and needing to defend FFXIII with retarted statements.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 15:38   Link #5
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
in the same interview in which Toriyama explains the linearity of Final Fantasy XIII, he also mentioned the lack of towns was due to the fact that in producing HD quality graphics it would take far too much time for the developers to create.
That's a pretty pathetic excuse. And what the heck does he mean by "HD quality graphics"? As far as I know, HD is only a burden on the console and the disk capacity. I wouldn't think having more pixels on the screen adds significantly to development time, and making excuses like that is just irresponsible.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 15:49   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
That's a pretty pathetic excuse. And what the heck does he mean by "HD quality graphics"? As far as I know, HD is only a burden on the console and the disk capacity. I wouldn't think having more pixels on the screen adds significantly to development time, and making excuses like that is just irresponsible.
I don't want to drag this thread off-topic again, but the time it takes to develop HD-quality art, models, textures, backgrounds, animation, and lighting/effects is significantly more than old SD material. The expectation of quality is much higher, and it requires a lot more attention to detail. As a result, the average size of development teams working on HD console projects is much higher than it would be for a previous-generation or portable game. The cost is significantly higher. To justify that expense, they would have to be sure that the remake would sell well enough to justify all the expense of basically re-developing the game. Given that the game is still playable on the PS3 (now it's in the Playstation Store), I don't think they believed that there would be as many people interested in buying it again as there would be people interested in purchasing newer games. But the more dated FFVII starts to look, the more likely it'll be for that opinion to change.
Old 2010-02-17, 15:59   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't want to drag this thread off-topic again, but the time it takes to develop HD-quality art, models, textures, backgrounds, animation, and lighting/effects is significantly more than old SD material. The expectation of quality is much higher, and it requires a lot more attention to detail. As a result, the average size of development teams working on HD console projects is much higher than it would be for a previous-generation or portable game. The cost is significantly higher. To justify that expense, they would have to be sure that the remake would sell well enough to justify all the expense of basically re-developing the game. Given that the game is still playable on the PS3 (now it's in the Playstation Store), I don't think they believed that there would be as many people interested in buying it again as there would be people interested in purchasing newer games. But the more dated FFVII starts to look, the more likely it'll be for that opinion to change.
i was playing FF8 the other day and the movie look horrible on my hdtv. the old ps1 games might be playable on ps3 but it won't look very good on a hdtv and i have a 32in, i can't even imagine how bad it would look on a 40+. while a hd remake won't work for every game, a remake of a game like FFVII is as close to a guarantee money maker as you are going to get.
Old 2010-02-17, 16:44   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've really no problems with the look of FFVIII on my HDTV, i mean i know when the game was made, and keeping that in mind i can still enjoy the very impressive look of the game.

Now with Vagrant Story, it did take a few hours for my eyes to get used to it.
Old 2010-02-17, 18:38   Link #9
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Given that the game is still playable on the PS3 (now it's in the Playstation Store), I don't think they believed that there would be as many people interested in buying it again as there would be people interested in purchasing newer games. But the more dated FFVII starts to look, the more likely it'll be for that opinion to change.
Remaking FFVII would be like giving Square a license to print money, as has been said many times before. It's easily one of the most popular games of the past two decades; I don't see how an inferior version being readily available would impact sales of an HD remake in any meaningful way.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 21:59   Link #10
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

remaking VII? sure i'll take it if they would at least keep aerith/aeris alive in this one lol even if it's unlikely
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 22:18   Link #11
Nerroth
NePoi!

It would be neat if they factored in some of the details from Crisis Core if they do re-make this...

...and could there be scope for a playable Advent Children scenario? (It wouldn't have to be too long to fit in, story time wise at least - and you could use the character levels you finish the main story with in it.)
Old 2010-02-17, 22:27   Link #12
iwatch2muchanime
Lazy

I wouldn't mind any CC details as long as they don't take any of the gameplay ideas from CC. Leave FFVII be.

I'd also like to the Turks levels they did in the mobile game playable or at least added and i'd like to play the Yuffie/Vincent mission they were on at the end of the original game. THe one they showed you in Dirge of Cerberus.
Old 2010-02-17, 22:32   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

currently as it stands it is still only speculation one member of SE said he wants to remake ff7 and another they are not.

i think the future plans for ff7 is going to be determined by well or bad ff13 sales does in the NA market. if ff13 bombs, the financial pressure on SE and financial incentive of a FF7 remake might be enough to put the project into gear.
Old 2010-02-17, 23:42   Link #14
rg4619

Quote:
i think the future plans for ff7 is going to be determined by well or bad ff13 sales does in the NA market. if ff13 bombs, the financial pressure on SE and financial incentive of a FF7 remake might be enough to put the project into gear.
Do you think so? From the corporate side, the implication is that lacklustre FFXIII sales would simply pressure the company into taking the series in a new direction (one that's more progressive and likely to attract interest among western gamers). Publishers are at the point where they have little confidence in Japanese RPGs, although I'm sure the creative side would resist drastic reinvention.

Also, there's no way that a FFVII remake (likely cut down in terms of volume too) would sell as well as a new installment, yet both would require the same kind of budget and developmental effort.

Quote:
currently as it stands it is still only speculation one member of SE said he wants to remake ff7 and another they are not.
That interest simply stems from public demand. On several occasions, Kitase mentioned that they all prefer to make new games.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 23:50   Link #15
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

wait, so I was right FFXIII was gonna suck? or is that just the sells talking. does it suck?
Old 2010-02-18, 00:01   Link #16
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
wait, so I was right FFXIII was gonna suck? or is that just the sells talking.
Neither. It's sensationalist conjecture.
Old 2010-02-18, 00:09   Link #17
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Neither. It's sensationalist conjecture.
i think there some people who like the game and thinks it perfectly fine the way it is.

but a $40 price drop and excess inventory in both used games and new games pretty much tell how the general public feels about the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post

Also, there's no way that a FFVII remake (likely cut down in terms of volume too) would sell as well as a new installment, yet both would require the same kind of budget and developmental effort.

FF7 sold 9.8 mil copies world wide. if a remake even sell half that number it would make it among the top seller in ps3. Even a 1/3 of the original number would put it in the top 10 best ps3 sellers.
Old 2010-02-18, 00:26   Link #18
Jaden

It's funny that they are bottlenecking the gameplay in their games because they have some ridiculously high standard for CG detail in their ps3 games. How come the western studios aren't that bothered by this? Dragon Age is an HD era game, and it's almost as big in scope and freedom as Baldur's Gate was.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 01:02   Link #19
iwatch2muchanime
Lazy

They've already stated in one of many magazine conferences that FFXIII is going to be the last game in the FF series that will be anything like their previous titles, and they're going in a new direction. (Although FFXIV is going to be like XI i'm sure, and fail just as hard. So they're already moving into new directions, or trying to at least.

And I can pretty much say that an FFVII remake would sell very well. As much as the original? Probably not, in fact most likely not, but the number of FF fans that have been wanting an FFVII remake since the PS3 was announced would make FFVII Gold.
Old 2010-02-18, 01:27   Link #20
rg4619

Quote:
i think there some people who like the game and thinks it perfectly fine the way it is.

but a $40 price drop and excess inventory in both used games and new games pretty much tell how the general public feels about the game.
I was actually referring to the suggestion that there's somehow a correlation between sales/player reception and the fact that Kitase is interested in a FFVII remake.

There isn't. Kitase and Nomura have expressed interest for years, while reminding everyone that it might be a long time before they can do one (and that it might be difficult to do). If you've noticed, they say the same things in every interview, alternating between expressions of heavy interest and admissions that they have no immediate plans.

Similar things were said eight years ago when fans asked for a Final Fantasy VII sequel (i.e. they all love FFVII and it has special meaning. They'd love to return to it. However, they're busy with current projects and it might be hard to make a sequel that lives up to the original).

Quote:
They've already stated in one of many magazine conferences that FFXIII is going to be the last game in the FF series that will be anything like their previous titles, and they're going in a new direction.
Yes, that's what management has in mind (they've already decided that the current direction is a dead end, although it doesn't seem as if anything's set in stone), although the FFXIII team remains hopeful that their game will revive the genre.

Quote:
And I can pretty much say that an FFVII remake would sell very well. As much as the original? Probably not, in fact most likely not, but the number of FF fans that have been wanting an FFVII remake since the PS3 was announced would make FFVII Gold.
It will definitely sell well. However, the question is whether it'll sell well enough to justify its development over that of a new Final Fantasy. Remakes simply don't sell as well as new games since they only target a more dedicated segment of an existing (and often shrinking) fanbase.