AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-01-06, 04:17   Link #481
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm really surprised at how much of a powerhouse Working'!! is. Is Working'!! airing at an earlier slot (i.e. not midnight)?
It aired at 11:30pm, and didn't air particularly earlier on any other channel except AT-X (which doesn't count in that sense). So, no, I guess it's just a show that struck the right chords, and that the fans want to own on Blu-Ray.
Old 2012-01-06, 06:51   Link #482
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, as one of the highly-amused viewers of Working'!!, I do understand how they want to own a copy. It's just a surprise that it manages to catch up with Horizon and Persona 4, leaving all the others in the dust... for now.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 07:40   Link #483
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Working S2 sales are pretty much in line with S1 sales. That wasn't a surprise for me - that one was what I'd guessed would happen. Tropes and content-wise, I get why Horizon has sold what it has - but I don't think I'll ever understand why.

Anyways, since it's now 2012, some official/reliable tallies of average sales per volume for any 2011 title that averaged over 10k all the way through its release or is still being released:

- Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica = 71,005. Lies at #2 on the list for average sales per volume for the 2000-present period. Bakemonogatari holds #1.

- Persona 4 = 33,915 (2 volumes). #15 on the list.

- Infinite Stratos = 33,706. #16 on the list.

- AnoHana = 31,283. #17 on the list.

- Tiger & Bunny = 27,743 (8 volumes). #20 on the list.

- Idolmaster (with Gravure for You Bundle for most copies) = 23,587 (2 volumes). This one is a bit iffy - the majority of Idolmaster anime volumes were purcahsed along with the Gravure for You game. So it's hard to tell whether the game fuelled most of the sales or if they will persist without the game. Currently #27 on the list but that will likely change.

- Horizon = 19,544 (1 volume). #34 on the list, likely to change since most shows drop after the first volume.

- Uta no Prince-Sama = 16,191 (4 volumes). #42 on the list.

- Steins;Gate = 16,097 (7 volumes). #44 on the list.

- Working S2 = 14,405 (3 volumes). #51 on the list. (For the record, Working S1 averaged 17,695)

- Gintama = 13,594 (6 volumes). #59 on the list.

- Blue Exorcist = 13,572 (7 volumes). #60 on the list.

- Natsume Yujinchou S3 = 10,151. #87 on the list.

2000-present list now contains 91 titles that have cracked the 10k mark. 2011 had 13 titles in that category, tying it with 2008 for the most number of shows cracking 10k for a single year. However, the average sales per volume of all the 2011 titles (24,984) is higher than the 2008 ones (12,684) by a big margin. Revenue figures from several timepoints also indicate 2011 is a record year for the industry as a whole.

Movie/OVA figures sales figures I was able to find of significant sales:

Arriety - 321,375
Gintama movie - 119,121
Gundam Unicorn #3 - 176,311
Gundam Unicorn #4 - 100,425 on BD (not complete because DVD sales of this volume seem hard to find. BD sales had a 13k difference so I'd assume UC4s total was around the 150-160k mark)
Haruhi Disappearance movie - 101,704
Gundam 00 movie - 79,783

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2012-01-06 at 10:15.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 09:17   Link #484
darktruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Garden of Sinners ~60k
Where exactly did you get your source stating Kara no Kyoukai BD boxset sold 60k? I only know that it sold up to 25,000 copies from its first week sales (Link) and the last known total sales for that boxset was 26,907 (Link), unless you're confusing it with the average sales for the LE JP DVD release of each movie?

EDIT: I may have seem to misread it a little, I think you meant it was below 60k? Still, 27k is nowhere near the range of below 60k, under 30k would be better.

Conversation's deep
When you talk to yourself
There's no way to cheat
Cause you know you can't be no one else…
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 09:22   Link #485
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktruth View Post
Where exactly did you get your source stating Kara no Kyoukai BD boxset sold 60k? I only know that it sold up to 25,000 copies from its first week sales (Link) and the last known total sales for that boxset was 26,907 (Link), unless you're confusing it with the average sales for the LE JP DVD release of each movie?

EDIT: I may have seem to misread it a little, I think you meant it was below 60k? Still, 27k is nowhere near the range of below 60k, under 30k would be better.
The Blu-Rays are the figure you're quoting. There was a Limited Edition release in DVD format that was nearly 40k from memory. That's how you get your 60k. The reason you wouldn't have seen them on the annual lists you linked were because Oricon didn't list the DVD list much beyond that Gundam UC #3 amount. There was a list a lot earlier in the year that would have Garden of Sinners's DVD sales.

Yes, a lot of titles don't sell much on DVD anymore but some do and it's worth looking out for them. Gintama is DVD only but still has good sales. Hatsukoi and Durarara also had a lot of sales in DVD.
Old 2012-01-06, 09:38   Link #486
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
The Blu-Rays are the figure you're quoting. There was a Limited Edition release in DVD format that was nearly 40k from memory. That's how you get your 60k. The reason you wouldn't have seen them on the annual lists you linked were because Oricon didn't list the DVD list much beyond that Gundam UC #3 amount. There was a list a lot earlier in the year that would have Garden of Sinners's DVD sales.

Yes, a lot of titles don't sell much on DVD anymore but some do and it's worth looking out for them. Gintama is DVD only but still has good sales. Hatsukoi and Durarara also had a lot of sales in DVD.
KnK singular DVDs sell around 60k-70k per copies that recorded.
Old 2012-01-06, 09:44   Link #487
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
KnK singular DVDs sell around 60k-70k per copies that recorded.
Even better. Got a source link? I've never been able to find definitive sales figures for KnK sine the place I find info on doesn't do movies for some reason.
Old 2012-01-06, 09:49   Link #488
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Even better. Got a source link? I've never been able to find definitive sales figures for KnK sine the place I find info on doesn't do movies for some reason.
I'm following the number when its released in dvd format, but if you need the source.

usual place
Old 2012-01-06, 10:06   Link #489
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
I'm following the number when its released in dvd format, but if you need the source.

usual place
Thanks for that. This one has info further back than the one I go to.

So...averaging those 7 volumes and adding the boxset puts it at...87,916 if you don't include the special, since most places don't. But then most of those sales were in 2010. Guess I'd better take it off the list.

Question about the variance of the Manabi line - on the place I usually follow, they were claiming the Manabi line for the October 2011 season was only 2,889 copies. Would anyone be able to explain why that is the case?

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2012-01-06 at 10:25.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 10:35   Link #490
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

Question about the variance of the Manabi line - on the place I usually follow, they were claiming the Manabi line for the October 2011 season was only 2,889 copies. Would anyone be able to explain why that is the case?
Looks like we share the same source for anime DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

I myself found that drop to a mere 2,889 copies odd, but also rather precise, which suggests some careful calculation factored into the number.

If the Manabi Line is now that low, then it turns a lot of shows from perceived commercial failures to at least breaking even.

So yeah, I second Last Sinner's question as to why the Manabi Line has fallen here.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:38   Link #491
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Source of place claiming Manabi Line to now be 2,899 over several seasons
Old 2012-01-06, 10:59   Link #492
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

The first volume of Manabi Straight sold 2899 copies - I wasn't aware anyone claimed the line was higher than that.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:04   Link #493
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The first volume of Manabi Straight sold 2899 copies - I wasn't aware anyone claimed the line was higher than that.
I've always thought that the Manabi Line was between 4 and 5 K.

In fact, I'm pretty sure those exact figures were cited on this forum, if not earlier on this very thread.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:09   Link #494
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I've always thought that the Manabi Line was between 4 and 5 K.

In fact, I'm pretty sure those exact figures were cited on this forum, if not earlier on this very thread.
I think the Manabi Line has lost its original meaning (or, well, people have been using the expression without really knowing what it was originally). People now tend to assume that the Manabi Line = break-even point, which can indeed be guessed to be around 4k-5k units for your average series. As the name suggests, though, it is originally the 2,899 mark, but this precise number doesn't bear that much meaning. (Maybe it did when Manabi was released?)
Old 2012-01-06, 11:24   Link #495
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I always thought the line would vary according to each series specific budget, because that would dictate the sales required to break even then go past for profit.
Old 2012-01-06, 13:27   Link #496
TJR

Quote:
I always thought the line would vary according to each series specific budget, because that would dictate the sales required to break even then go past for profit.
People generally want some kind of average to compare to, but yeah, break even points vary from project to project (and only the respective production committee would know). There're probably some shows where anything less than 10,000 copies per volume is perceived to be disappointing.

As for the mythical Manabi Line, I wouldn't read too much into it.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 13:36   Link #497
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Incidentally, about this...
Quote:
- Idolmaster (with Gravure for You Bundle for most copies) = 23,587 (2 volumes). This one is a bit iffy - the majority of Idolmaster anime volumes were purcahsed along with the Gravure for You game. So it's hard to tell whether the game fuelled most of the sales or if they will persist without the game. Currently #27 on the list but that will likely change.
The Gravure for You mini-game bundles are going to continue for the entire run of Anime Blu-Rays (all nine volumes), so there won't be a way to tell how the anime would have sold without the game bundles.

And also, I would like to remind everyone that, rather than sourcing things externally, cumulative, by-volume sales figures are updated regularly by eggplant in this very thread, so be sure to check that out if you didn't know it was there.
Old 2012-01-06, 14:35   Link #498
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

relentlessflame: Is it possible to put that eggplant post in a new sticky thread?
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 17:36   Link #499
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
relentlessflame: Is it possible to put that eggplant post in a new sticky thread?
Maybe, but I guess we'd then have two threads: one for data, and one for discussion. (There are actually a lot more data posts from previous years as well.) I'm not so opposed to that, but that's not the way it was traditionally done... but of course in the past there wasn't nearly as much discussion as there is now. Anyway, with the new year's sales data coming up, it may give us a chance to find a new approach. We'll see...
Old 2012-01-06, 18:56   Link #500
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I think the Manabi Line has lost its original meaning (or, well, people have been using the expression without really knowing what it was originally). People now tend to assume that the Manabi Line = break-even point, which can indeed be guessed to be around 4k-5k units for your average series. As the name suggests, though, it is originally the 2,899 mark, but this precise number doesn't bear that much meaning. (Maybe it did when Manabi was released?)
Thanks to you and 0utf0xZer0 for the background info on the term. Good to know that the 4K-5K standard is still a pretty good "break-even" point guesstimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Maybe, but I guess we'd then have two threads: one for data, and one for discussion. (There are actually a lot more data posts from previous years as well.) I'm not so opposed to that, but that's not the way it was traditionally done... but of course in the past there wasn't nearly as much discussion as there is now. Anyway, with the new year's sales data coming up, it may give us a chance to find a new approach. We'll see...
I just want to say that I'm supportive of having a sticky thread for pure sales data posts, and a separate thread for discussion on sales data. Sometimes I just want to comb through the raw data, and that can be easier to do when you don't also have to sift through discussion posts to get at it.

Tags
sales, statistics