AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-03-03, 19:56   Link #121
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Well, if I had to pick one, I'd be pretty down to live in the Pokemon world. Travel around, tame and battle with cool monsters, save the world (which is similar enough to our world), etc...

Most other anime worlds are either no better than the real world, too dangerous, or both.

I remember when I was a kid I had big time escapist fantasies for video game/cartoon/anime worlds, thinking the real world was too 'boring...' If you think that, you really haven't looked into how truly amazing the real world is. Our world is more mysterious, beautiful, complex, and mind-blowing than any fictional one could ever hope to be. All the different human cultures, human history, the different environments on Earth, animals, the evolution of life, the nature of space/the universe... There's just no competing with it.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 20:47   Link #122
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
schoolyard

"Hey! I wish Godzilla was real"
"....why?"
"It'd be cool to have trillion dollars of collateral damage and national debt in the sink even worse every time a 100ft tall radioactive lizard wrecked shit up."
"Why not just have Ultraman real so that happens on weekly basis"

Along the same line of logic, anime being real is probably not a good idea.
Well, if either Ultraman or Godzilla were real, it's almost exclusively a problem only people living in Japan really have to worry about. Almost.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 08:14   Link #123
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Well, if I had to pick one, I'd be pretty down to live in the Pokemon world. Travel around, tame and battle with cool monsters, save the world (which is similar enough to our world), etc...

Most other anime worlds are either no better than the real world, too dangerous, or both.

I remember when I was a kid I had big time escapist fantasies for video game/cartoon/anime worlds, thinking the real world was too 'boring...' If you think that, you really haven't looked into how truly amazing the real world is. Our world is more mysterious, beautiful, complex, and mind-blowing than any fictional one could ever hope to be. All the different human cultures, human history, the different environments on Earth, animals, the evolution of life, the nature of space/the universe... There's just no competing with it.
Pokemon is a pretty good choice in my eyes. There has been a lot of talk about how many bad things might happen to you if anime were real, but nobody really talks about how the opposite is just as likely.

Also the way I understood it this isn't about competing and it never was. The world would still continue to exist but now had an additional part.

hyl: Even if this is only the tip of the iceberg (which is arguable) there are several hundred entries that are perfectly fine.

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2013-03-04 at 08:40.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 08:27   Link #124
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:

Heck no, i don't want to live in the pokemon world because it's horrible. Have you read some of the pokedex entries?
Gyarados
"Once GYARADOS goes on a rampage, its ferociously violent blood doesn’t calm until it has burned everything down. There are records of this POKéMON’s rampages lasting a whole month.""
"Once it appears, its rage never settles until it has razed the fields and mountains around it."

Kadabra
"It is rumored that a boy with psychic abilities suddenly transformed into KADABRA while he was assisting research into extrasensory powers."
"It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into KADABRA."

And these are just the tip of the iceberg...

edit:
Drifloon

"It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away. It is whispered that any child who mistakes Drifloon for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing. "

later edit:
Lampent

This ominous Pokémon is feared. Through cities it wanders, searching for the spirits of the fallen.
It arrives near the moment of death and steals spirit from the body.
The spirits it absorbs fuel its baleful fire. It hangs around hospitals waiting for people to pass on.

@eisdrache
my guess is that almost 1/4 of the entries are very questionable. Which means if you live in that world atleast several hundreds kinds of pokemon are dangerous to society. (including fatass pokemons who are blocking the only road to certain cities >_>)
Now imagine the number of dangerous pokemons in the whole world
Like Godzilla rampaging tokyo, but now way more often and done by several people if i have to believe the pokedex

Last edited by hyl; 2013-03-04 at 08:53.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 09:36   Link #125
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

^

Welcome to NBC News at 9. Tonight's subject is on Poket Monster animal cruelty.
In the most recent news, 150 arrests have made last year of organizers of illegal animal-fighting ring of so-called "Pokemon fights". PETA has been campaigning for awareness on this illegal animal cruelty of enslaving sentient creatures, trapping them inside a small ball, and forcing them to brutally fight each other. The reports show unsettling trend of these underground Pokemon trainers starting at very young age, and are raising concerns of ties to gangs and minority violence.
Mayer of Los Angels has made a public speech last Friday on the topic of....

When we come back, "The growing threat of piracy on the horizon" and "Vigilantism of magically gifted young women - should this be tolerated or not?". Stay tuned.
Old 2013-03-04, 11:06   Link #126
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Heck no, i don't want to live in the pokemon world because it's horrible. Have you read some of the pokedex entries?
Gyarados
"Once GYARADOS goes on a rampage, its ferociously violent blood doesn’t calm until it has burned everything down. There are records of this POKéMON’s rampages lasting a whole month.""
"Once it appears, its rage never settles until it has razed the fields and mountains around it."

Kadabra
"It is rumored that a boy with psychic abilities suddenly transformed into KADABRA while he was assisting research into extrasensory powers."
"It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into KADABRA."

And these are just the tip of the iceberg...

edit:
Drifloon

"It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away. It is whispered that any child who mistakes Drifloon for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing. "

later edit:
Lampent

This ominous Pokémon is feared. Through cities it wanders, searching for the spirits of the fallen.
It arrives near the moment of death and steals spirit from the body.
The spirits it absorbs fuel its baleful fire. It hangs around hospitals waiting for people to pass on.

@eisdrache
my guess is that almost 1/4 of the entries are very questionable. Which means if you live in that world atleast several hundreds kinds of pokemon are dangerous to society. (including fatass pokemons who are blocking the only road to certain cities >_>)
Now imagine the number of dangerous pokemons in the whole world
Like Godzilla rampaging tokyo, but now way more often and done by several people if i have to believe the pokedex
Well, I guess I'm envisioning myself controlling these monstrous entities rather than being subject to their wrath. I always had a beast team when I played the game, after all
Old 2013-03-08, 23:55   Link #127
whitecloud

Yeah...I always imagine controlling the like of articunos...well if those guys are real..
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 19:48   Link #128
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
The real world may not be boring, but there's another reason why fantasy worlds are more appealing. When it comes to games and movies progression happens quickly. Want to be an ace swordsman in a game? Battle a few monsters and increase your level, or if it's a different type of game, work on memorizing combos and increasing your reaction time. In the real world? Aside from the fact that swordplay doesn't matter too much, you're looking at years of training - both in swordsmanship and in athletic training - and a lot of physical pain to work through. And unlike a game, where you can pick it up and start from where you left off even years down the road, you need to keep at things in reality. Train hard so that you can run five miles, and then stop running for a year? Welcome back to level 1.

There's also the aspect of travel. In a game like Pokemon you can easily go all over the game world, moving where you want, when you want. This type of game is particularly alluring to children who have no way to get around easily on their own. At this point you can go wherever you want, but it's going to cost you. You also have responsibilities that prevent you from just getting up and moving around on a whim.

Ah, yes. And each city and town doesn't have its own theme song
Old 2013-03-10, 20:32   Link #129
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The real world may not be boring, but there's another reason why fantasy worlds are more appealing. When it comes to games and movies progression happens quickly. Want to be an ace swordsman in a game? Battle a few monsters and increase your level, or if it's a different type of game, work on memorizing combos and increasing your reaction time. In the real world? Aside from the fact that swordplay doesn't matter too much, you're looking at years of training - both in swordsmanship and in athletic training - and a lot of physical pain to work through. And unlike a game, where you can pick it up and start from where you left off even years down the road, you need to keep at things in reality. Train hard so that you can run five miles, and then stop running for a year? Welcome back to level 1.

There's also the aspect of travel. In a game like Pokemon you can easily go all over the game world, moving where you want, when you want. This type of game is particularly alluring to children who have no way to get around easily on their own. At this point you can go wherever you want, but it's going to cost you. You also have responsibilities that prevent you from just getting up and moving around on a whim.

Ah, yes. And each city and town doesn't have its own theme song
No one likes working hard, but I think there's a reason why most people won't use cheat codes in a video game to skip to the final level. People have an inherent desire to feel like they've accomplished something through their skill and effort. Once one appreciates the magnitude of the world we live in, then it should follow that they aspire to 'level up' here too. Of course, this isn't as black and white an argument as saying our world isn't boring - some people will still choose the fantasy environment for the reasons you mentioned - but I think many people, at least in their adult life, want to accomplish something with their lives; want to feel like they've done something in this world. I will admit that when you're a kid and you're incapable of doing this, though, escapist games are pretty empowering in that regard.

(Also, call me unrealistic, but I'd like to accumulate enough money to travel about with ease. That's my goal right now anyways. )
Old 2013-03-10, 21:44   Link #130
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

What Pokemon and being stuck 10 forever but you do get a milf for a mom and run over all the world with a girl and some one who cooks
Old 2013-03-15, 10:35   Link #131
oompa loompa

Quote:
No one likes working hard, but I think there's a reason why most people won't use cheat codes in a video game to skip to the final level. People have an inherent desire to feel like they've accomplished something through their skill and effort. Once one appreciates the magnitude of the world we live in, then it should follow that they aspire to 'level up' here too. Of course, this isn't as black and white an argument as saying our world isn't boring - some people will still choose the fantasy environment for the reasons you mentioned - but I think many people, at least in their adult life, want to accomplish something with their lives; want to feel like they've done something in this world. I will admit that when you're a kid and you're incapable of doing this, though, escapist games are pretty empowering in that regard.
its a trap?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 12:29   Link #132
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbaby View Post
I wish anime was real. If anime was real, most girls that are anime-atics would extremley happy!! They would be happy cause the cute guys would be real! And there will be a lot of fights. Then the whole world would be in chaos!!
It depends on the anime in question: if we're talking about slice-of-life, or something like Tari Tari or K-On!, my world already seems sufficiently close to that. However, I prefer not to live in a world dominated by conflict. Things like Gundam Unicorn or Broken Blade would make life more dangerous than entertaining.
Old 2013-03-16, 06:47   Link #133
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
It depends on the anime in question: if we're talking about slice-of-life, or something like Tari Tari or K-On!, my world already seems sufficiently close to that. However, I prefer not to live in a world dominated by conflict. Things like Gundam Unicorn or Broken Blade would make life more dangerous than entertaining.
Although, as far as slice of life is concerned, even in those series, there are characters that would make my life more interesting and/or amusing if they were real (and I could speak Japanese or they English).

Though in this case the of the first one that comes to mind- the cast of Kokoro Connect (particularly Iori), it can hardly be called world similar to my own what with the body swapping, sudden lack of impulse control, reverse aging etc. That would be more than a little of an annoyance to say the least, but at least I wouldn't be in mortal danger.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 13:27   Link #134
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Fixed that for you.

Seriously, I can't stand the (seemingly) prevailing thought that big boobs = sexy.
Damn, I feel sorry for you then.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 04:17   Link #135
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
Damn, I feel sorry for you then.
Why? It's not like I'm missing out or anything. Plenty of medium- to (extremely) small-breasted characters around for me to enjoy.
Old 2013-03-17, 04:28   Link #136
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Why? It's not like I'm missing out or anything. Plenty of medium- to (extremely) small-breasted characters around for me to enjoy.
I feel it necessary at this time to add that I too find smaller sizes to be more attractive.
Old 2013-03-17, 04:36   Link #137
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I feel it necessary at this time to add that I too find smaller sizes to be more attractive.
Big breast = ecchi

Medium breast = normal

Small breast = loli

I prefer a normal girlfriend that is not look to as a sexual object nor look at me as a pedophile molester....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 12:54   Link #138
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
No one likes working hard, but I think there's a reason why most people won't use cheat codes in a video game to skip to the final level. People have an inherent desire to feel like they've accomplished something through their skill and effort.
That's because video game isn't life, it's a boredom killing entertainment.
Well at least for most of us. For some NEETs addicted to MMO mileage may vary.

If I could use cheat codes in real life with no consequence, I totally freakin' would.
Old 2013-03-17, 15:07   Link #139
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I'd pick Nanoha's world after becoming a Counter Guardian meant to travel for eternity xD
Old 2013-03-17, 21:26   Link #140
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
That's because video game isn't life, it's a boredom killing entertainment.
Well at least for most of us. For some NEETs addicted to MMO mileage may vary.

If I could use cheat codes in real life with no consequence, I totally freakin' would.
You can't sensically reverse the comparison. Of course we'd use cheat codes if they were a real thing (and you could argue that the most financially successful people do use cheat codes, of sorts ). My point was that people want to feel like they accomplished something by their own skill and thus want a game to be a more 'realistic' challenge, feeling more like the challenges one must overcome in life as well.

I don't think video games are simply a boredom killing entertainment for everyone. For me, they've always been a form of escapism, same with anime, cartoons, etc. That's kind of the vibe I was getting from this 'I wish anime was real' sentiment to begin with....

Tags
anime, real