AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-05-09, 08:32   Link #21
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The fear that I heard raised was this: what happens if I don't play the game for 10 days, then my internet goes out, and I want to play? That's a very realistic scenario. Will the game note that it's been 10+ days since it last authenticated and not let you play?
From what I've heard it will try to check with 5 days left in the 10 day window (I'm not sure if the game has to be run to do the check or it dials home on it's own without the need for the game to be running) but if it can't contact the server after the 10 day's are up then the game will lock and can't be played until a re-check can be done before the game will work again.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 14:30   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
From what I've heard it will try to check with 5 days left in the 10 day window (I'm not sure if the game has to be run to do the check or it dials home on it's own without the need for the game to be running) but if it can't contact the server after the 10 day's are up then the game will lock and can't be played until a re-check can be done before the game will work again.
Yep, that's what I've read, too. That's a sort of safety window, then; it really checks every five days, and then there's a five-day grace period before it locks up if contact can't be made. I'd imagine that the game has to be running. If it does its check separately then that'd remove some of the fears of what would happen if you don't play the game for 11 days.

I think that'd be another storm in itself, though. The last thing I want is having some piece of software that offers no benefit to me running at all times, sapping some system resources and using my net connection. Would it take a ton of resources or a lot of bandwidth? Probably not, but anyone who uses that as an excuse for why such a thing should be OK probably isn't thinking beyond this single game. What if it becomes a standard scheme for games and I have a ton of games installed? It probably still wouldn't amount to massive drain, but perhaps we'd be feeling it then. Personally, I'm generally bothered whenever a program is running needlessly. If the game isn't running, I don't want anything related to the game to be running.
Old 2008-05-09, 16:57   Link #23
4Tran

It looks like EA has decided to back down on implementing the SecureROM 10-day reauthentication DRM in both Spore and Mass Effect:

http://kotaku.com/5008452/bioware-ba...authentication
http://kotaku.com/5008454/spore-to-u...authentication
Old 2008-05-09, 17:11   Link #24
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Excellent news. That's much more sensible and fair. I have no problem with the game authenticating whenever it'd be connecting to the servers. Arguably that's one of the best anti-piracy methods I've heard of to date.

Does this mean you're looking forward to Spore as well, 4Tran?
Old 2008-05-09, 20:31   Link #25
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Yeah, that's definitely more sensible and more on-par with what was always done. I still don't agree with it, but at least it doesn't force you to have an internet connection to play.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 21:19   Link #26
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Woo, saved!

Well, with that out of the way, what kinda species would you guys make?
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=199
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 15:23   Link #27
4Tran

Quote:
Excellent news. That's much more sensible and fair. I have no problem with the game authenticating whenever it'd be connecting to the servers. Arguably that's one of the best anti-piracy methods I've heard of to date.
You should still note though that there was a limit on the number of times the game can be installed in the original description of the DRM, and that doesn't seem to be changed yet.

Quote:
Does this mean you're looking forward to Spore as well, 4Tran?
I'm only mildly interested in Spore, though that may change when it's finally released and we find out if it's all that it's cracked up to be. I've been burned by how bad MOO3 was to put much stock in developers' promises. On the other hand, now that I finally have a system that can run it well, I was interested in getting Mass Effect.
Old 2008-05-23, 20:03   Link #28
THX

If you are interested in Spore, you should check out a video released yesterday. It's with someone who's using the Spore Creature Creator for the first time and he's having a blast. The Creature Creator is out on June 17th btw.

Video
THX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 19:59   Link #29
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Anything new on this from people who have tried the Creature Creator...or are you all to busy creating?
Old 2008-06-21, 00:39   Link #30
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
You can download a "Demo" from the official site but you can only make certain type of creatures (Carnivores and insects).

If you want full access you pay $10 or something for the full version. Not sure what that means for the retail one in september.

Other than that it's not too bad, it's quite fun. Though I heard some people are posting quite "inappropriate" creatures which tells me that lots of people have too much time on their hands.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 11:09   Link #31
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Other than that it's not too bad, it's quite fun. Though I heard some people are posting quite "inappropriate" creatures which tells me that lots of people have too much time on their hands.
Yes, lol. If you type "spore" on youtube, the first result would be a creature that resembles a penis.

I have even seen a creature that looks like a "guy" *cough* humping *cough* a "girl", all-in-one edition.

EDIT:
Spoiler for NSFW:

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-06-21 at 11:21. Reason: use different spoiler tag
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 12:07   Link #32
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Looking over those Youtube links, it's amazing to me how many people tried to make a zergling-like creature.

Regarding the DRM, I read that Mass Effect had a more traditional DRM scheme (that is, it can be installed five or so times before the key gets locked out). The problem is that people are already having issues, since the game apparently considers certain hardware upgrades to mean that it's running on a new system.
Old 2008-06-21, 16:28   Link #33
Dingo
The polyphony

Had a lot of fun with that limited demo, I wasn't really keeping up with this game before, but now I am thinking about buying it.I'll wait for some reviews to see how the RTS aspect of the game plays out, that's where I can see the game getting really stale.They got the creature designing part right, now let's see how they did with the other stuff.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 18:56   Link #34
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Looking over those Youtube links, it's amazing to me how many people tried to make a zergling-like creature.
And they aren't that bad either.

Some have made hydralisks, overlords, and ultralisks.

Next up are pokemon.

Canirvorus pirahna pikachus are something I want to make.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 11:29   Link #35
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

It's really quite amazingly versatile.

Yoshi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtzNb_sAj4c
Charizard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubaQpquYR_4
mewtwo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbxiBjTGoLc
barney?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYW7EypXzM
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 00:20   Link #36
fallin up
my life is a harem

i heard the anti-pirating program thing might mess with certain anime playing programs such as CCCP? is that true or am I mistaken?
fallin up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 02:07   Link #37
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Disturbing, yet so well made...
Spore Pedobear
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 09:34   Link #38
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Life is a Harem View Post
i heard the anti-pirating program thing might mess with certain anime playing programs such as CCCP? is that true or am I mistaken?
I haven't heard of that, nor do I think it's realistic. Where did you hear of that?
Old 2008-06-23, 10:16   Link #39
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I have to debate with myself whether to hold on to my principles -- never ever pay out a coin to invasive, ridiculously restrictive DRM's (which meant I didn't play Bioshock, among others) -- and miss out on a potential best game ever, or give in and shell out the money to those dinosaur EA executives. *sigh*

Interestingly enough, I find these creatures' behaviors to be reminiscent of Black & White; which is fine, since I loved Black & White to death even with all its bugginess.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 10:27   Link #40
Ledgem
Love Yourself

My friend and I were just discussing Black & White yesterday. The idea behind the game was really, really cool, but the implementation was pretty bad. Did you ever try the multiplayer? I was 1.00 (100% "good") while my friend was -1.00 (100% "evil") and the evil spells totally trash the good spells. Black & White's big appeal to me was that finally, here was a game where you could play in a constructive manner, yet in its implementation they were clearly catering toward the crowd that would want to kill and blow stuff up.

Case in point, in one game I must have had no less than 10 spell shields stacked within each other once my friend got the ultimate evil spell (forgot what it's called, but it's basically a giant "death ray from the sky") - the spell went right through the shields. There is no "ultimate good" spell. (I don't believe that my complaints are derived from being a poor player, either; I wasn't overtaking villages any slower than my friends, and my creature consistently won in creature fights.)

And now we have Spore. Again, it's a very neat idea in that there's a completely open world and you can play how ever you like... but will it really be that open? I've started to lose my enthusiasm for it and feel that it might be a bit more limited and linear than I'd initially hoped for. I'll hold off on getting it and see what other people say, I suppose.