AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2004-05-26, 19:44   Link #21
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
They already took the cup in Korea/Japan 2002.. :P
Lets hope they will not make a 6th in Germany 2006.

I already know they took the last world cup

I meant they are going to take it agian in the next world cup
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 20:19   Link #22
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
I already know they took the last world cup

I meant they are going to take it agian in the next world cup
I think it's a bit too early to predict the outcomes of World Cup Germany 2006. WC Qualifying matches haven't even started yet

Who do you think will do well or even perhaps win Euro 2004?
Scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 20:39   Link #23
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
It's Luis Figo (midfielder) and Ronaldo (forward).
You got slightly wrong on the second name... It's Cristiano Ronaldo.

Oh, and here's the resume from the UEFA'S Champions League.

GELSENKIRCHEN, Germany (AP) -- Teenager Carlos Alberto led FC Porto to its second Champions League triumph on Wednesday with the first goal in a 3-0 victory over AS Monaco.

The 19-year-old forward, prefered as a starter to South African striker Benni McCarthy, fired home from 12 yards (meters) six minutes before half time to give the Portuguese champion and last season's UEFA Cup winner a 1-0 half time lead.

Porto then scored two goals in four minutes in the second half. Russian substitute Dmitri Alenitchev provided the pass for Deco to score the second in the 71st and then taking a pass from Derlei to add the third in the 75th.

Porto, now led by one of the game's best young coaches in 41-year-old Jose Mourinho, also won the title in 1987 by beating Bayern Munich 2-1 in Vienna.

SECOND-HALF HIGHLIGHTS

94' - Nielsen blows the final whistle to give surprising Porto Europe's top trophy.

91' - Squillaci heads another corner over the bar.

90' - Four minutes of stoppage time added on.

90' - Squillaci heads a corner over the bar.

86' - Alenichev is called for a handball.

85' - Nonda gets free at the corner of the goal box and lays a cross back, which Evra sends far over the bar.

85' - PORTO SUBSTITUTION: Pedro Emanuel comes on for Porto playmaker Deco.

84' - Deco is called offside.

83' - Baia is shaken up again after he comes out to intercept a cross and collides with Ibarra.

80' - Baia receives treatment after a boot in the midsection.

78' - PORTO SUBSTITUTION: McCarthy on for Derlei.

77' - PORTO CAUTION: Jorge Costa is booked.

75' - PORTO GOAL: Alenichev gets in alone off a deflection and hammers a half-volley past Roma from 8 yards out.

72' - MONACO SUBSTITUTION: Squillaci on for Givet.

71' - PORTO GOAL: Deco scores from about 13 yards away, given space to place a soft shot after a short cross from the left wing. Monaco was caught out on the counter-attack.

70' - Rothen hits a corner kick deep to Benardi but his cross is headed out.

66' - Nonda is called offside.

64' - MONACO SUBSTITUTION: Striker Nonda on for midfielder Cissé.

62' - Baia slides out to make a save, but Morientes is again wrongly called offside.

62' - Julien Rodriguez can't quite get on the end of Rothen's corner kick.

61' - Prso is, perhaps harshly, called offside.

61' - Derlei is called for offside.

60' - PORTO SUBSTITUTION: Midfielder Alenichev on for Carlos Alberto, leaving Porto with one striker.

59' - Evra is called offside.

59' - Derlei is called offside.

58' - Baia comes out to punch away Rothen's freekick.

53' - Deco is called offside.

52' - Prso is called for a handball.

50' - Prso is called offside.

46' - Second half under way.
Carlos Alberto gives Porto halftime lead

GELSENKIRCHEN, Germany (Reuters) -- A brilliant finish from Carlos Alberto gave Porto a 1-0 lead over Monaco at halftime in a nervous Champions League final at the Arena AufSchalke on Wednesday.

The 19-year-old Brazilian reacted first to a ball that rebounded to him off a defender, swinging round to crack a shot from 10 metres between two defenders and just inside the post six minutes before the interval.

Monaco had looked marginally the better side until that point, coming close to a goal inside the first three minutes when Jerome Rothen found Ludovic Giuly with a precise ball through the middle.

Giuly looked to have time to place a shot but Vitor Baia raced from his area to clear.

Two minutes later, Porto's lively Carlos Alberto showed great skill in skipping over a couple of challenges down the left only to send in a weak cross.

With 15 minutes gone a mistake from Porto in midfield allowed Rothen to play another ball, this time out wide, for Fernando Morientes to run on to but the flag went up for an offside decision that was marginal at best.

Monaco hopes were hit when they had to bring off Giuly because of injury in the 23rd minute, Dado Prso taking his place.

There was little else of note in what was largely a poor first half, before one moment of class from Carlos Alberto put the Portuguese side ahead.

FIRST-HALF HIGHLIGHTS

46' - Nielsen blows the halftime whistle.

46' - Ibarra earns a corner kick with a run down the right side, but Rothen's kick is headed out by Costinha.

42' - Bernardi looks to have broken into the penalty box but is flagged offside.
Monaco fans enjoy the scene in Gelsenkirchen.
AP

39' - PORTO CAUTION: Carlos Alberto gets a yellow card from removing his shirt in celebration.

39' - PORTO GOAL: Carlos Alberto buries a shot in the upper right corner from 12 yards out. He failed to control a cross from the right, but got a clear shot when it bounced back to him.

37' - Prso is called for offside.

34' - Carlos Alberto frees Paulo Ferreira on the right but his cross goes out for a corner. Roma catches Deco's kick with ease.

32' - Givet heads the ball out to give Porto its first corner; the kick is punched away by Roma.

31' - Morientes is called offside for the third time, but replays prove the call wrong.

29' - PORTO CAUTION: Valente gets a yellow card for a sliding tackle on Cisse; the ensuing free kick from 30 yards is cleared.

26' - Deco is whistled offside.

23' - MONACO SUBSTITUTION: Prso comes on for an injured Giuly.

22' - Giuly is called offside.

17' - Cisse finds some space, but his cross can't find Lucas Bernardi.

16' - Carlos Alberto is called offside.

15' - Rothen is called offside.

12' - Carlos Alberto is called offside.

10' - Morientes is called offside.

6' - Morientes is called offside.

3' - Porto goalkeeper Vitor Baia comes out some 30 yards to make a sliding stop on Giuly, who was sent through alone.

1' - Referee Kim Milton Nielsen blows the whistle to get things under way in Gelsenkirchen, Germany.

Starting Lineups

Monaco: 30-Flavio Roma; 4-Hugo Ibarra, 27-Julien Rodriguez, 32-Gael Givet, 3-Patrice Evra, 7-Lucas Bernardi, 15-Andreas Zikos, 14-Edouard Cisse, 25-Jerome Rothen, 8-Ludovic Giuly; 10-Fernando Morientes

Porto: 99-Vitor Baia; 22-Paulo Ferreira, 2-Jorge Costa, 4-Ricardo Carvalho, 8-Nuno Valente, 6-Francisco Costinha, 18-Maniche Ribeiro, 23-Pedro Mendes, 10-Deco Souza, 11-Derlei Silva, 19-Carlos Alberto.

Referee: Kim Milton Nielsen (Denmark).
Fit Morientes looking for rare golden double

GELSENKIRCHEN, Germany (Reuters) -- Fernando Morientes could become the first player for 35 years to score for two different sides in Europe's ultimate match after being passed fit to play for Monaco against Porto in the Champions League final on Wednesday.

Morientes, who has scored 11 goals in the competition this season, has overcome an ankle sprain and will lead Monaco's attack at the Arena AufSchalke.

A veteran of three Champions League victories with Real Madrid in 1998, 2000 and 2002, Morientes, loaned by the Spanish side to Monaco this season, scored in Real's 3-0 victory over Valencia in Paris in 2000.

The only player to score for two different clubs in the final was Velibor Vasovic, who found the net for Partizan Belgrade in their 2-1 defeat by Real Madrid in 1966 and for Ajax Amsterdam when they lost 4-1 to AC Milan in 1969.

Ronald Koeman scored in the shoot-out when PSV Eindhoven beat Benfica 6-5 on penalties after a 0-0 draw in the 1988 final and he claimed Barcelona's winner in their 1-0 victory over Sampdoria in 1992 -- but penalty shoot-out goals do not count in a player's official tally.

Porto, bidding to become the first club since Liverpool in 1976 and 1977 to follow up a UEFA Cup final victory by being crowned European champions the following season, had no injury worries going into the game.

The only decision facing coach Jose Mourinho was over who would partner Brazilian Derlei Silva in attack and he played cautiously by starting with Carlos Alberto wide on the left rather than a second straight striker in the shape of South African Benni McCarthy.

Porto are bidding to lift the European Cup for the second time following their success in 1987.

Didier Deschamps of Monaco was hoping, at 35, to become the youngest coach to win the European Cup, 11 years to the day after captaining the Olympique Marseille team that beat AC Milan 1-0 in the 1993 final.

Funny thing is... They won this cup exactly 16 years and 364 days after their last one

Some of the photos of the game:

Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 20:55   Link #24
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
I think it's a bit too early to predict the outcomes of World Cup Germany 2006. WC Qualifying matches haven't even started yet

Who do you think will do well or even perhaps win Euro 2004?
'Les Bleues' are definitely one of the favorites to take Euro 2004. Go France Go!
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 20:58   Link #25
Scrumhalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
'Les Bleues' are definitely one of the favorites to take Euro 2004. Go France Go!
My money will be on the Dutch. Mix a little Ruud van Nistelrooy, some Arjen Robben, Rafel van der Vaart - what do you have? ORANJE!
Old 2004-05-26, 21:22   Link #26
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Pah, proper football. I was hoping for a bit of NFL. Maybe I shoud buy a football game. I used to think hockey was boring until I bought the game way back when and then I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 01:30   Link #27
Scrumhalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStar
Pah, proper football. I was hoping for a bit of NFL. Maybe I shoud buy a football game. I used to think hockey was boring until I bought the game way back when and then I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Thats right, proper football it is.
You Americans just wait until Major League Soccer grows into a gigantic football franchaise in the US waiting to take over the NFL!
Old 2004-05-27, 03:08   Link #28
Scrumhalf

Its Official - Leed's Alan Smith To Man Utd

Smith completes Ł7m Man Utd switch

Alan Smith has vowed he is ready to win the doubters over after completing his 'brave' Ł7million journey from Leeds to Manchester United.

Smith: Ł7m Old Trafford deal (LaurenceGriffiths/GettyImages)

After passing his medical with the Red Devils, Smith signed a five-year contract at Old Trafford that has succeeded in alienating him from supporters of both clubs.

Smith: Ł7m Old Trafford deal (LaurenceGriffiths/GettyImages)

Leeds fans are seething that the home-town boy they hailed a hero during a disastrous last 12 months has so actively sought a transfer to their bitterest rivals.

United supporters are not much happier given Smith's badge-kissing antics after scoring during the last league match between the sides at Old Trafford in February and also fear the Yorkshireman's arrival could trigger the departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Smith has so far met any criticism directed at him with a firm shrug of the shoulders and insisted he has the right to join any club he wants.

However, the 23-year-old has accepted the move has generated plenty of ill feeling and knows there will be plenty of sceptics waiting to condemn him when he runs out in a United shirt for the first time in August.

'Not a lot of people would have been brave enough to make this step,' he told MUTV. 'But I am prepared for what comes with that and I am looking forward to the challenge of playing for Manchester United.

'I can't wait to get started. I want to prove myself here and win the fans over with my performances on the field.'

Just 24 hours since their own review revealed they had paid over #14million in agents fees in the three years from January 2001, United added another #750,000 to that figure as part of an overall package that will see cash-strapped Leeds net their entire Ł6million cut of the fee up front.

Smith waved the signing-on fees he was owed to push the deal through, one last gesture to a club he said he one day hoped to play for again only to make the move that now renders it an impossible dream.

While he knows there is no chance of building bridges with the supporters at Elland Road, Smith, who has won eight England caps and is on standby for Euro 2004, is hoping his determination to play for United wins him some goodwill around Old Trafford.

Middlesbrough, Everton and Newcastle all expressed an interest in the Rothwell-born player but Smith quickly made it plain he wanted to join the Red Devils.

Sir Alex Ferguson, already a long-time admirer, could not have been more impressed and quickly asserted his desire to sign a player who will add an extra physical presence to his strikeforce.

'I have never been more impressed with a young player,' said the Scot. 'His desire to play for Manchester United is fantastic. Certain young people come along with a special determination and, after speaking to him, I expect that from Alan Smith. That desire will take him a long way.'

Under the circumstances, Smith could hardly claim his move is a dream come true.

Instead, he said United were the epitome of everything he desired as a young footballer kicking a ball around in the streets of Rothwell.

'Growing up, I wanted to be the best I could be,' he said. 'I want to win everything I can. That is the biggest reason for coming here. Manchester United is a team of winners. They play in every tournament going and I want to become a winner too.'

And he is not prepared to hang around either.

Faced with the formidable obstacle of van Nistelrooy - 110 goals in three seasons at Old Trafford - and Louis Saha - seven goals in 12 league games - Smith might have been expected to agree when asked if he would be happy to start life as a United player on the bench. He did not.

'I am not prepared to spend time on the bench,' he said. 'I want to make an impact straight away.

'If you are going to be successful as a team, you need a good squad but I believe I am good enough to play in the team. Hopefully I will be proved right.'

What an idiot.

http://www.football365.com/
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/
Old 2004-06-02, 02:45   Link #29
Scrumhalf

Japan hold England. 1/6/2004 Friendly

Japan recovered from Michael Owen's early goal to hold England 1-1.

Michael Owen

Sven-Goran Eriksson fielded his first-choice line-up, including Frank Lampard, and England were given a stern test in a warm-up for Euro 2004.

Owen put England in front after 21 minutes when Seigo Narazaki fumbled Steven Gerrard's shot.

But Japan created chances and deservedly equalised seven minutes after half-time when Shinji Ono crowned a fine move with a crisp finish.

England ended with a couple of injury worries, David Beckham receiving treatment for an ankle injury and John Terry going off near the end with a hamstring problem.

Eriksson, as he hinted, played the team that is likely to start Euro 2004 against France, with Lampard getting the nod ahead of Nicky Butt.

And England almost got the perfect start after four minutes, when Japan goalkeeper Seigo Narazaki was fortunate to block Terry's header.

England's passing was impressive and they took a deserved lead after 21 minutes.

Gerrard's surging run from midfield ended with a shot that was only fumbled by Narazaki, which allowed the lurking Owen a simple tap in.

It sparked Japan into action, and David James was forced into saves from Keiji Tamada and Shumsuke Nakamura as they tried their luck from long range.

And Tsuneyasu Miyamoto should have levelled five minutes before the interval when he was allowed a free header from a corner but was wastefully off target.

Japan were unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty on the stroke of half-time when Paul Scholes hauled down Alex, but Roberto Rosetti waved away their appeals.

But there was no escape for England after 52 minutes when a slick Japanese passing move ended with Alex providing the perfect delivery for Ono to score through James' legs.

England responded when Wayne Rooney's pass released Owen, but he was denied by Narazaki's legs.

Eriksson made a triple substitution with 15 minutes left, sending on Emile Heskey, Darius Vassell and Kieron Dyer for Owen, Rooney and Scholes.

But it was Japan who continued to hold the upper hand, with James saving well from Alex's wicked drive.

England start the match brightly with Wayne Rooney already posing problems for Japan defender Yuji Nakazawa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England: James, Gary Neville, Terry, Campbell, Ashley Cole, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Rooney. Subs: Bridge, Robinson, Phil Neville, King, Carragher, Butt, Hargreaves, Joe Cole, Dyer, Heskey, Walker, Vassell, Defoe.

Japan: Narazaki, Nakazawa, Miyamoto, Tsuboi, Santos, Ono, Inamoto, Kaji, Nakamura, Tamada, Kubo. Subs: Doi, Kawaguchi, Miura, Tanaka, Chano, Fujita, Fukunishi, Ogasawara, Endo, Suzuki, Yanagisawa, Motoyama.

Referee: Roberto Rosetti (Italy).
Old 2004-06-02, 03:54   Link #30
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

I think the Eagles will take it this year, Donovan McNabb has new receivers to throw the ball around to..... errrrrr wait....... OH THAT FOOTBALL

Manchestaahhh!!
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 11:12   Link #31
j1m0ne

Quote:
Smith completes Ł7m Man Utd switch

Leeds fans are seething that the home-town boy they hailed a hero during a disastrous last 12 months has so actively sought a transfer to their bitterest rivals.

United supporters are not much happier given Smith's badge-kissing antics after scoring during the last league match between the sides at Old Trafford in February and also fear the Yorkshireman's arrival could trigger the departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy.
I've been a Leeds fan for some 13 years now and I can't say I'm exactly angry about Smith moving to Manyoo really.Seething? I felt more disgusted with players like Harry Kewell and Lee Bowyer whose departures were a bit eventful to say the least. I mean, any player if given a choice between Fergie's Fatheads, Middlesboro and Everton shouldn't have a hard time seeing who are the best team. He had to go anyway, and any fans who still harbour ill-feeling towards Smith should grow up. We're in the bloody First Division now, so why hate Manyoo; their fans laugh at the fact that we see them as rivals when we're not in the same league as them.

Ruud the horse leaving would have nothing to do with Smith. Blame Ferguson. He doesn't seem to like his players (except Keane) very much and seems intent on driving them all insane. Heck, he even managed to rile poor Paul Scholes, one of the quietest and nicer footballers around.
Old 2004-06-08, 02:36   Link #32
Scrumhalf

Lets get this thread up and alive in time for Euro 2004 Football Championships shall we?

4 more days!

England v France!

I CANNOT WAIT!
Old 2004-06-08, 10:59   Link #33
Bracken33

I´m not a big football/soccer fan.

But Germany vs the Netherlands is a match even I must not miss.

We must win, loosing against the dutch is not an option .
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 16:27   Link #34
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
4 more days!

England v France!
We have the best midfield of the competition with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and Beckam...

Bring on France!

He'll be the man for England.
Old 2004-06-09, 07:45   Link #35
Scrumhalf

Quote:
We have the best midfield of the competition with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and Beckam...

Bring on France!

So does the French = Arsenal.
You would not hope the likes of Pires, Viera, Zidane, and Henry can still retain their form from club games. Otherwise England are in for a tough one.

Sol Campbell meanwhile seems pretty confident.

England defender Sol Campbell in action against Japan.
http://www.thefa.com/Euro2004/NewsAn...lWeBelieve.htm
Old 2004-06-09, 07:52   Link #36
Scrumhalf

The Euro 2004 Football Championships.

3 DAYS TO GO!

http://www.euro2004.com/

http://www.football365.com/

http://www.soccernet.com/
Old 2004-06-09, 15:00   Link #37
Weissent
on and off member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken33
I´m not a big football/soccer fan.

But Germany vs the Netherlands is a match even I must not miss.

We must win, loosing against the dutch is not an option .
I really hope Team Germany won't be able to advance to the finals. Maybe those multimillionaire clubs of the likes of Bayern Munich (how I hate those suckers!) come to realize that they need to raise talents on their own, not just to buy everything that looks somehow promising on the international market. I have the impression that the German team seriously lacks talent and promise...
Yea, I know I will be cheering for black&white when the match finally starts, but at least I know something good may come out of an "untimely" failure of Völler's boys...

<btw bracken 33: your Pacifica Casull Avatar rules ... I think I'm going to rewatch part of the show today >
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 15:11   Link #38
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:

Bring on France!

No, France has the best midfield lineup. Zizou is going to PWN England...

GO FRANCE GO!
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 05:19   Link #39
Blaat

Quote:
They already took the cup in Korea/Japan 2002.. :P
Lets hope they will not make a 6th in Germany 2006.
I don't think they will you see Brazil never won a World Cup on European soil

About Euro 2004, France might win. I don't think Portugal will get far though.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 10:06   Link #40
Bracken33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissent
I really hope Team Germany won't be able to advance to the finals. Maybe those multimillionaire clubs of the likes of Bayern Munich (how I hate those suckers!) come to realize that they need to raise talents on their own, not just to buy everything that looks somehow promising on the international market. I have the impression that the German team seriously lacks talent and promise...
Yea, I know I will be cheering for black&white when the match finally starts, but at least I know something good may come out of an "untimely" failure of Völler's boys...

<btw bracken 33: your Pacifica Casull Avatar rules ... I think I'm going to rewatch part of the show today >
I also think that it will be really hard to survive the first round this time.
If we drop out of the tournament early it might wake up some officials. So I agree with you.

But I still don´t want to loose against the dutch .
Let us loose against the czechs and the latvians .

Scrapped Princess rocks. I rewatch it too. I´m looking forward to german REG2 DVDs some day.
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer