AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-20, 04:40   Link #21
Myme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Not once in any of my posts here in this thread did I say "I can dload fansubs of unlicensed anime". Don't put words in my mouth. Ideally what should be done is that people get R2 releases from Japan and put their own subs on it and watch it that way. But to expect everyone to do that is a pipe dream.
LoL I guess you got me there... I just assumed since you were on this site you bought into the whole "It's legal to download unlicensed anime, but illegal to download licensed anime."

My apologies, I've just been seeing on the internet this rule appear out of nowhere and have no reasoning behind it. It's just a rule people pulled out of their bums...

Again, sorry for putting words in your mouth.
Myme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 11:48   Link #22
Totallybastos

Question Sailor Moon/R

Sup all. I Love Sailor Moon, its one of the original series i watched when i was a kid, althought it was the American Cut version, i want to be able to own this series again. do any of u know if theres any subbing groups out there who are planning on subbing the first two seasons [sailor moon and sailor moon r (eps 1-89)] since its no longer licensed, cause id give anything to get my hands on it.
Totallybastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 12:13   Link #23
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallybastos
Sup all. I Love Sailor Moon, its one of the original series i watched when i was a kid, althought it was the American Cut version, i want to be able to own this series again. do any of u know if theres any subbing groups out there who are planning on subbing the first two seasons [sailor moon and sailor moon r (eps 1-89)] since its no longer licensed, cause id give anything to get my hands on it.
You can still buy both sets that were released.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 12:39   Link #24
andromeda

I would love to see somebody sub the remastered versions that are coming out over in Japan. But until that time comes, the dvd's are very easy to find still of ADV's versions, and they are really cheap now!
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 18:03   Link #25
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Technically, since the license ran out, we could start listing fansubs again. Problem
is that most "fansubs" would likely be rips of the DVDs that were released. In any case
at the present moment the license has just ran out, and it should be no problem to
find the DVDs if you look for them.
Worst I've seen are OGM files of the DVD rips to Sailormoon R that have popped up a few places including a Swedish BT tracker I frequent.
OldSchoolFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 18:04   Link #26
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Then one becomes SOL, and hopes that someone sells their copy for someone else to buy. As I said, as long as the physical copies exist, one is obligated to get those NO MATTER HOW HARD IT GETS. Someone somewhere is always selling something, so all you have to be is patient. However, due to the nature of the internet, patience always seems to be in short supply...
God if I had the money and the LD box sets for the shows, I wouldn't be hesitated to fansub them on my own! Digisubs would be the best way to present them nowadays than the older fansubs of yesteryear.
Old 2004-10-10, 18:07   Link #27
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
Other than the masters ADV used were all they had access to. DiC's masters got pretty messed up, and to get new masters (and correct me if I'm wrong here) would involve waiting for the rights to expire and reordering new masters from Toei. Otherwise, they had no masters that they could (legally) use.
Always felt kinda amusing watching some of those later SM-R episodes and to hear what sounded like the hum of the projector itself churning through!

Quote:
And since now it seems Toei doesn't want Sailor Moon to exist in the US anymore, the possibility of ADV, or anyone, getting decent masters from Toei has declined to nothing.
Which is a shame to all of us that we're being denied this show right now (much like Disney locking up "Song of the South" due to PC issues).
Old 2004-10-10, 18:09   Link #28
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech
Ill give you an example of how shitty this situation can get in a couple years. Ive dealt with a discontinued item, only it was a diecast car model. a Mclaren F1, in 1:18 scale that used to cost 24.95 is now selling secondhand for upwards of $100. I got extremely lucky and found one for 60, so I snatched it up but it goes to show that discontinued items like this boxset will only go up in value, not down. Buy it now or youll never want to buy it later. sometimes I hate this method of free enterprise. inflation of collectible worth is lame.
I know what you mean. I've went through S--T buying things off eBay I forgot to get the first time around, and having to pay double or tripple it's original price. You wind up wanting to go to the Black Market for all your needs eventually and never get out of it (much like I had with my video collection).
Old 2004-11-28, 20:48   Link #29
Leeners
Sailor Moon Super Fan

Send a message via AIM to Leeners Send a message via MSN to Leeners Send a message via Yahoo to Leeners
What I really want to see subed is Sailor Moon S and Super S. Unfortunatly they are still licensed and I can't find anywhere to buy them on dvd. I wish they would come out with them in box sets like they did with the first two seasons, even if they were of poor quality. I liked them just because I had never seen them before, even dubbed.
Leeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 23:02   Link #30
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Where have you been? Geneon/Pioneer did release thin pak boxsets of Sailor Moon S/SuperS dub/sub DVD's.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 05:43   Link #31
diane256

As an aside.. when we but the ADV DVD do we get the edited version shown on TV or do we get what really everything that came out in japan.

*remembers when chibi moon held a gun to Serina's(sp) head*
diane256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 15:59   Link #32
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

With ADV's sub sets you are getting the uncut video, however, it is not entirely complete. You don't get the next ep previews with ADV's DVD's, the preview sequences are out of proper order for each episode (in the classic set when they did have 2 of them), plus you have the complete omission of episode 67 of Sailor Moon R from ADV's set. (Episode 67 is present in the Region 2 DVD's from Toei though - but like 99% of R2 DVD's there is no english subs). As well in the second opening sequence of Sailor Moon R, since ADV didn't have a clean version to work with, they do blurring out of credits to overlay their own.
Old 2004-12-05, 22:00   Link #33
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
I have episode 67 on a DVD I made. If Toei didn't want to put episode 67 on the American DVDs because of the creator's wishes, why would they suddenly want to put it on the Japanese release? Did the creator changed her mind all of the sudden since it will be a domestic release out there? It doesn't really bother me since I already have the episode.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 01:05   Link #34
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

I think the current running theory on ep 67 was that ADV sublicensed those eps from DiC. And since DiC didn't have ep 67, ADV didn't get it either. They were probably bound by that contract from way long ago, and probably couldn't renegotiate anything since Toei was going to snap up all their licenses back to them soon afterwards. Anyways, the R2 DVD with ep 67 is the most superior copy out there anyways of that episode (no eng subs tho)!
Old 2006-03-15, 10:15   Link #35
Dougtron

ADV Sailor Moon & Sailor Moon R

Could anyone tell me how the subtitles on the ADV release of Sailor Moon & Sailor Moon R are? I heard that they weren't that good; one of the worst parts being that they translated senshi as warrior despite it being translated as soldier pretty much everywhere else, even the cover of the R2's.
Dougtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 14:08   Link #36
Shakey_Jake33

Send a message via ICQ to Shakey_Jake33 Send a message via AIM to Shakey_Jake33 Send a message via MSN to Shakey_Jake33 Send a message via Yahoo to Shakey_Jake33
(Wow, what a topic bump!)

I can't really comment on the translation quality, since my Japanese is very lacking (I can get away with saying 'I know that word!'), but I can confirm they translate senshi to 'warrior', as opposed to 'soldier' (odd when you consider the cover for these releases even say 'Pretty Soldier').

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5..._Jake33/sm.jpg
(Taken from my Sailor Moon R box, disc 1 ep 1).

The quality of the releases isn't terrible, it's pretty much reflective of most early-90's Toei productions (anyone who's seen the uncut DBZ DVD's will know what I mean). The sound suffers more than anything else, constantly sounding like they're talking through a cloth, muffled.
That's not to say ADV weren't to blame in any way though, as the releases are quite lazy - the episode preview appearing *after* the intro sequence, for instance. Some may see this as anal, but it makes the whole thing come off as plain wierd - you don't expect to see an episode preview when the episode has essentially started.

They're getting harder to source every day though, get them while you can. I managed to obtain my DVD's in May last year - a pretty hard thing to get them at all in the UK. My original source was selling both for £50 a pop, but was only able to source series 1 for me. I had to pay a crippling £100 on eBay for mine (worth it though).
The Pioneer releases of S/SuperS and the specials are going the same way now their licence has expired - this is the time to buy Sailor Moon before it becomes impossible to source.
Shakey_Jake33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 16:12   Link #37
Dougtron

I was just wondering how they were since I heard how they translated senshi as warrior. I'd rather just buy the japanese R2's as I'm doing.
Old 2006-03-15, 16:19   Link #38
Shakey_Jake33

Send a message via ICQ to Shakey_Jake33 Send a message via AIM to Shakey_Jake33 Send a message via MSN to Shakey_Jake33 Send a message via Yahoo to Shakey_Jake33
I don't tend to buy R2's simply because they'll be gathering dust on my self since they lack subs.... but the news that the R2's are remastered makes me think. Half tempted to buy the remastered R2's and splice the subs from the ADV release...
Old 2006-03-15, 18:14   Link #39
Dougtron

The lack of subtitles isn't that big of a deal. The video quality is great and its pretty easy tell what's going on.
Old 2006-03-15, 18:52   Link #40
Shakey_Jake33

Apologies for dragging this topic further off topic, but I'm seriously considering buying these if the difference is that substantial.

Do you know where to buy this, and if it was released in a box set? CDJapan seem to have them, though pretty much all sold out. The ones on YesAsia seem to be from a different print, presumably not remastered.

I assume the sound is still mono, as per the original?

Tags
drama, magical girl, romance