Notices

Old 2024-02-02, 13:46   Link #841
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

And Denken casts the tried and true most reliable spell of all: Fist
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-02, 14:03   Link #842
Tenzen12

Denken is freaking cool guy. He may looks like some frail old scholar, but his actual personality is like... completely opposite of his appearence and standing
Old 2024-02-02, 15:39   Link #843
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
And Denken casts the tried and true most reliable spell of all: Fist
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2024-02-02, 19:33   Link #844
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Denken is the coolest character to come out of this arc. Out of mana? No problem, he'll just beat the crap out of his competitors with his bare fists. He has the tenacity a lot of other competitors lacked.

Serie remains a very mysterious character. She apparently enjoys conflict, yet she did not make her existence public until 50 years ago when she took over the entire magic world. Why did she do that? Was she thinking magic had become too common and decided to thin the herd? Or was she just bored because the war had ended and most demons had gone into hiding?
Old 2024-02-02, 20:01   Link #845
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Denken is the coolest character to come out of this arc. Out of mana? No problem, he'll just beat the crap out of his competitors with his bare fists. He has the tenacity a lot of other competitors lacked.

Serie remains a very mysterious character. She apparently enjoys conflict, yet she did not make her existence public until 50 years ago when she took over the entire magic world. Why did she do that? Was she thinking magic had become too common and decided to thin the herd? Or was she just bored because the war had ended and most demons had gone into hiding?
Or maybe it is because her, um, what is it... grandapprentice, managed to do what her apprentice predicted a thousand years ago... kill the demon lord and start an era of piece.

Anyway, still really curious if Frieren is the "last" great mage because she is the last one to be discovered in the modern era, she was declared the last one after defeating the demon lord or the era of the great mages has ended and the others are gone... although that last possibility is unlikely with Serie still around.
Old 2024-02-02, 20:37   Link #846
deadite

Man.... Frieren's mana pool is so large she can keep the defensive barrier up for long durations, despite the taxing cost.

As this episode shows, the reason modern mages manipulate physical matter over using standard offense magic Zoltraak is because they do a better job of overwhelming the magical barriers.

Would love to see how well Kanne does against Fern in the rain. Even Frieren has doubts she can beat her.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-02, 21:11   Link #847
grecefar

Amazing chapter. It got everything.

I knew it was going to be easy for frieren against denken, the only way was if denken in some way outsmart her.

Denken is such a great character, I hope he becomes a good friend of frieren since they think a like about magic.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-02, 21:51   Link #848
Thor's Hammer

Quote:
I doubt that Serie's existence was hidden from the public until 50 years ago based on what Flamme said. Flamme said that she and Serie would never defeat the Demon King because they seek out conflict (with demons), and the implication of that is that the Demon King would never willingly enter a fight with Flamme or Serie because he knew he would lose. Frieren's more peaceful approach to life (complemented by deliberate instruction from Flamme) meant that she would not make a name for herself to that point that she'd be on the Demon King's radar, which is proven accurate by how Aura assessed Frieren as being the weakest member of the Hero's party, and that is how with the help of the Hero's Party, the Demon King was defeated. If Flamme and Serie had approached the Demon King's lair, the Demon King probably would have fled and created a new lair whereas he was taken by surprise by Frieren.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-02, 22:03   Link #849
Tenzen12

I don't think there is such impication here. After all, liking fight and actually winning it are two completely different things.
Old 2024-02-02, 22:20   Link #850
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

This is something mich more fundamental. A magician can only do something they can clearly envision. And the opposite is also true.
This one single point defies all logic. No kidding, it truly defies all logic.
Thus Serie who simply cannot envision peace will never be able to achieve it.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-02, 22:55   Link #851
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Was she thinking magic had become too common and decided to thin the herd? Or was she just bored because the war had ended and most demons had gone into hiding?
I doubt she's malicious enough to be picking fights for no reason like Ubel, and gatekeeping may filter out the commoners from the talented mages, but it's not like she can stop lower class mages from existing like Kanne and Lawine.

If she likes talented mages with ambition wouldn't that be simple enough motivation for what she does?
i.e. She found human(s) worth raising, which increased her involvement with humans until she gained the reputation she has today, similar to how Himmel and Heiter pushed Frieren to do something with her life until she became famous for being a demon slayer.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-02, 23:43   Link #852
HandofFate

"I'm not gonna cast it" when she reveals her see thru clothes magic.

another of her lies I believe, she probably peeks at everyone the first chance she gets.
Old 2024-02-02, 23:51   Link #853
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Would love to see how well Kanne does against Fern in the rain. Even Frieren has doubts she can beat her.
Where did Frieren mention that?

As for Serie defeating the Demon King. I'm assuming here that Serie has less mana than Frieren if she's one of the 11 that defeated Frieren.

Also, maybe Serie is too proud to hide her mana, but I kind of doubt that, since Flamme's psyche probably came from Serie herself...

The last option I see is that Serie is too well known in the Demon world and thus they hide from her, like they hid from Himmel.
Old 2024-02-03, 00:01   Link #854
deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
Where did Frieren mention that?

As for Serie defeating the Demon King. I'm assuming here that Serie has less mana than Frieren if she's one of the 11 that defeated Frieren.

Also, maybe Serie is too proud to hide her mana, but I kind of doubt that, since Flamme's psyche probably came from Serie herself...

The last option I see is that Serie is too well known in the Demon world and thus they hide from her, like they hid from Himmel.

Frieren: The world of Magic is the world of images. Can you imagine beating a mage with control of water while It's raining? I know I can't.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-03, 00:09   Link #855
Twi

Mana scales with age and practice. Serie is older than Frieren judging by her age and taught Flamme, so we know she's practiced. I sincerely doubt Serie has less mana than her.

You also have to remember, Frieren didn't do it alone. It was her and her companions working together that allowed them to finally take down the Demon King.
Old 2024-02-03, 00:55   Link #856
scififan

The yuri wizards grow a lot after spending two days with Frieren.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-03, 01:11   Link #857
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Frieren: The world of Magic is the world of images. Can you imagine beating a mage with control of water while It's raining? I know I can't.
Ah right forgot that quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Mana scales with age and practice. Serie is older than Frieren judging by her age and taught Flamme, so we know she's practiced. I sincerely doubt Serie has less mana than her.

You also have to remember, Frieren didn't do it alone. It was her and her companions working together that allowed them to finally take down the Demon King.
Yes that's definitely a scenario, which would lead to the conclusion that Frieren lost to another elf, who had less mana than her.

Oh, there's a fun parallel about the teams going against Fern's group and Frieren's group both ended up defeated each with 2 members fully out of mana.
Old 2024-02-03, 01:20   Link #858
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Hey. Our boy Stark made an appearance . At least his vacation is going alright. Barkeep gets it. Stark is already in a state like that and he's not even dating Fern yet .

I am curious though about why Flamme was sure neither she or Serie could defeat the Demon King. Honestly I don't think being able to visualize a world of peace has any bearing on beating someone up. Since what is needed to visualize in that scenario isn't peace, but how to blow the Demon King's head off his shoulders . I guess there's the issue of the Demon King wanting to avoid the fight. But honestly it's entirely reasonable to avoid every fight. Maybe Flamme was just trying to talk up her own apprentice. Nothing like sticking it to your mentor by claiming you found someone better .

Love that the first spell Fern mentions is the x-ray vision spell . How often is she using that thing?

One good thing for the show is that it does a nice job with the side characters. Denken was on the opposite side from Frieren here, but definitely proved himself to be a respectable guy. Props to him for the fistfight solution. I mean yeah...they don't have magic, but they do have working limbs.
Old 2024-02-03, 01:33   Link #859
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I am curious though about why Flamme was sure neither she or Serie could defeat the Demon King. Honestly I don't think being able to visualize a world of peace has any bearing on beating someone up. Since what is needed to visualize in that scenario isn't peace, but how to blow the Demon King's head off his shoulders .
Sure it does. If they can't envision a life where the Demon King is gone, then they can't kill him.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-03, 05:03   Link #860
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 21:

"but she planned to hurt you without killing you" - I'm surprised Frieren was gonna torture the old man, if Laufen did not show up with the bird. Well, good thing Laufen seems to be a kind-hearted person, tried to rescue the old man, but she failed to escape.

anyway, Frieren is amazing as always. That arrogant guy drinking tea did not expect the barrier to be broken.

did Denken do some street fighting in his younger years? lol. If this was Ragnarok Online, he would be a mage who put some points in STR. Looks like he won the street fight. Although he seems to have hurt his arm? From a distance, we see Laufen bandaging his arm.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy