AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-30, 21:22   Link #421
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Aw, let's talk about the episode...

So do you think that the previous crewmember is that monster in the government's hands?
Old 2008-07-30, 21:31   Link #422
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

So do you think that the previous crewmember is that monster in the government's hands?
Okay.

I don't think Raigyo is the Xam'd that the military has. In ep2 it was strongly hinted that the Xam'd is a mother who was protecting her child when she mutated and turned into stone. They're probably going to leave his whereabouts vague for a while to leave us hanging. Either he died (Nakiami had to kill him maybe?) or he's on another side and will face the crew later in the series. It'll be interesting to see if the military from the Southern Government also starts hunting Akiyuki, since they know another Xam'd is out there, and now Kakisu has formed a connection with his disappearance from the bus explosion.

Edit: Just another thought, did the action sequence between Nakiami and the Humanform in ep3 remind anyone else of Shadow of of the Colossus?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 23:29   Link #423
spicypolvoron

You know guys what I think about Haru and Akiyuki meeting again? I don't think they will. I think the female character from the beginning of OP (who licks the letter) is Haru with short hair. I don't know, probably time-skip? She probably joins the army (since she's strong when she beat the crap of that guy), assuming that she's wearing an army uniform in the OP.

Well in any case, I WANT AkiyukiXNakiami! Not with Haru! :P
spicypolvoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 23:33   Link #424
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep3:
Old 2008-07-31, 00:51   Link #425
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep3:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-31, 02:16   Link #426
Sotobrastos

Spoiler for Xam'd:
Sotobrastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 03:49   Link #427
Navel

Quote:

In the beginning of episode 1, there is a group of children who are there to receive the "Xam egg" from the old lady. And we saw that one of them, Nakiami, made Akiyuky into a Xam. It's safe to assume the Xam the military discovered is just the result of another one of those children transforming someone into a Xam. Why the old lady is doing that, we'll find later on.

The way the story is set looks so much like Eureka 7, indeed.

And regarding the PSN and availability on PCs. There is a reason why the PCs can not play the encrypted files from the PS3 and why Sony is not interested in that. The PS3 and the PSP both have cryptographic hardware that are proprietary technology. It's the hardware that decrypts the media file. PCs don't have it, and will never have for so many reasons: one is that it's impossible to convince all PC manufacturers out there and their dog to add a component which increases the price of the PC they sell, two because they're most likely Sony rivals so such a deal would only be a I'm doing this for you, you give me something in return, and would increase the overall cost even more, three, and most likely, Sony knows software encryption schemes are easier to break than hardware ones. They are the only ones who know the secrets of their chips, and they like it that way because it forces people to buy their hardware and to use their services, not to be able to go to a competitor. It's 101 on how you build yourself a competitive advantage, you deny competitors the possibility to copy you easily, and make yourself the only source for something customers want. Even the ts files that are available on p2p are not decrypted media files but reencodes of the PS3 analog output, which was already doubly resized by the PS3 so the result is less clear than the original.
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 03:54   Link #428
terrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I don't think Raigyo is the Xam'd that the military has. In ep2 it was strongly hinted that the Xam'd is a mother who was protecting her child when she mutated and turned into stone. They're probably going to leave his whereabouts vague for a while to leave us hanging. Either he died (Nakiami had to kill him maybe?) or he's on another side and will face the crew later in the series. It'll be interesting to see if the military from the Southern Government also starts hunting Akiyuki, since they know another Xam'd is out there, and now Kakisu has formed a connection with his disappearance from the bus explosion.
Do you think it might be possible that Raigyo is the man we've been seeing in the op and ed? The one with camera and walking through a crowd.

Also about the Giant Xam'd isn't dead or is going to be revived somehow, because if you watch the trailer you can see it with it's back to us and four wings coming out of it's back. You can also see it has the same colours as the gaint Xam'd so it can't be Akiyuki.
terrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 04:22   Link #429
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
I'm not sure i agree it's the best series of the season, but it is a good show. Shame Sony are castrating themselves with poor availability. If they followed Gonzo and released on BOOST or Crunchy they'd make a hell of a lot more i think
Sony aren't castrating themselves with poor availability though; this move is intentional and is aimed at boosting the profile of PSN.

I would go so far as to say this is shaping up to be one of the best anime I've seen in YEARS. If it continues in this quality it will join my shortlist of top favorites like Honey & Clover, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Crest of the Stars series..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 04:24   Link #430
arias

Quote:
They've been planning this release since December last year. :P
I love watching people hav no idea about what bs they're spouting
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 06:51   Link #431
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Good production as always, but the constant smart-mouthing gave me a real headache. Normal people, even people in anime and in fantasies don't talk with such sharp tongues like that. It's a lot to handle.

At least the plot was a very straightforward and actually a pretty cliche one. Boy gets lost, the entire crew hates him and the family misses boy.

Also, I'm not sure I want to see the government being all evil with experimentation and all. Reminds me of Eureka 7 in a way. And of course, it's the holy queen of cliche that the governments do big bad things and always becomes antagonists. Again, great production, but I sort of keep having that nagging feeling of cliche. With such production values, I almost am expecting them to rise above it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 07:58   Link #432
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
When they say "turn to stone" i'm gonna go with the meaning death. For now anyway until we more on the subject.

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if the military from the Southern Government also starts hunting Akiyuki, since they know another Xam'd is out there, and now Kakisu has formed a connection with his disappearance from the bus explosion.
I think that's defiantly what we're going to see in the upcoming episodes. They've just gotta make the link first that he's on that ship, and i'm sure that'll happen once a report of Xam'd has been spotted. I guess they'll go speak to his father first?

Quote:
Just another thought, did the action sequence between Nakiami and the Humanform in ep3 remind anyone else of Shadow of of the Colossus?
Yeah i thought that, though the humanform creatures remind me to much of all the Japanese monster movies i've seen over the many years --- it was just how the battle went that reminded me of that.
Old 2008-07-31, 08:28   Link #433
typhonsentra

Spoiler:
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 09:26   Link #434
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrus View Post
Do you think it might be possible that Raigyo is the man we've been seeing in the op and ed? The one with camera and walking through a crowd.

Also about the Giant Xam'd isn't dead or is going to be revived somehow, because if you watch the trailer you can see it with it's back to us and four wings coming out of it's back. You can also see it has the same colours as the gaint Xam'd so it can't be Akiyuki.
There are too many unknowns about the unvealed characters, so I can't really make a guess there. But good catch on the trailer. In the same scene you see a bunch of ASPs (the military mechs) in the background, so I think the scene should be coming up soon in ep4 or 5.
Old 2008-07-31, 09:28   Link #435
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
They've been planning this release since December last year. :P
It's not a question of how long the planning is, but a question of the quality of the planning. I've seen shows with two years of planning fall flat on their face, and i've seen shows with next to no planning succeed.

Limiting to the PSN is fine, but limiting it to america, when they hold the rights to other countries as well is just plain nuts. Sure you may raise awareness in the US of the PSN, but you're pising off potential users in other countries, in other words you're losing sales and castrating yourself

Edit: And the BOOST version of strike witches beats the PSN version of Xam'd in quality IMO
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 09:33   Link #436
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Spoiler:
Well, there's two options in which this could go --- one being what you've mentioned, or it's her mission so to say to protect the Xam'd. This could be linked to the white haired children or the trible markings.

Both are good options in which Nakiami's backstory can be told, though it'll be interesting for her character development if it's the one you mentioned.
Old 2008-07-31, 09:38   Link #437
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
Limiting to the PSN is fine, but limiting it to america, when they hold the rights to other countries as well is just plain nuts. Sure you may raise awareness in the US of the PSN, but you're pising off potential users in other countries, in other words you're losing sales and castrating yourself
It takes a lot more than pushing a button to launch a video rental service in a region. What did you want them to do, launch in all the areas with JUST Xam'd? And don't forget the localization issue for releasing things to Europe.

This isn't limited to America. America just gets it first.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 09:58   Link #438
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

all i can say in ep 3 is ok i see riiight but still there is a small action ehhehehe
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 10:59   Link #439
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
It takes a lot more than pushing a button to launch a video rental service in a region. What did you want them to do, launch in all the areas with JUST Xam'd? And don't forget the localization issue for releasing things to Europe.

I give up trying, your completely missing the point *sighs and goes for a coffee*
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 12:33   Link #440
comatose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post

...yes, they should've launched it with just Xam'd or held off the global release.
What he said is right: they're pissing off customers and it's likely that if it was available globally, nobody would've bothered to capture and release it.

I would've bought it, but now I'm not going to be getting it even when the video store opens in September. If Sony's not going to cater to my needs, I'm not going to cater to Sony's needs.

At worst I will buy the BDs later, after they're discounted.
comatose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones