AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-12-12, 11:34   Link #81
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I've seen some complaints already and while I can see that people could get that impression, it's a vastly different take on someone coming into a relationship. I'll give props to Yuuta; he's Rikka's boyfriend through everything.
Personally, I don't mind the inclusion of the Love Rival, but seriously, if Chuunibyou by some miracle get's a second season, and Shichimiya introduced, I can forsee that alot of fans would go: Chuunibyou has fallen into the typical Anime Romance trap of introducing a Love Rival. If not for the spoiler policy, I would have probably dropped the question:

If Kyo-ani was to introduce a Love Rival for a Second Season (on the low chance that it does occur, considering just how many other franchises Kyo-ani could go back to- FMP, Haruhi, and even K-on has significant to huge amounts of material that can be animated) , would it ruin the whole story?

It's actually a pity, that for whatever reason, Shichimiya and Yuuta ended up separated. even for a year. I think what was even more surprising was that they had no way of remaining in contact with one another, considering that she was Yuuta's closest friends. They have very good chemistry with one another - every bit as good as Yuuta has with Rikka.

It is devastating to meet a friend you are developing feelings for, after a year, only to find that he has already been taken.

However, I must admit, there was a part of me that thought: if the "Hostage" scene was animated, the amount of Hate Shichimiya would get from the audience would be.... considerable.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 12:02   Link #82
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Personally, I don't mind the inclusion of the Love Rival, but seriously, if Chuunibyou by some miracle get's a second season, and Shichimiya introduced, I can forsee that alot of fans would go: Chuunibyou has fallen into the typical Anime Romance trap of introducing a Love Rival. If not for the spoiler policy, I would have probably dropped the question:

If Kyo-ani was to introduce a Love Rival for a Second Season (on the low chance that it does occur, considering just how many other franchises Kyo-ani could go back to- FMP, Haruhi, and even K-on has significant to huge amounts of material that can be animated) , would it ruin the whole story?

It's actually a pity, that for whatever reason, Shichimiya and Yuuta ended up separated. even for a year. I think what was even more surprising was that they had no way of remaining in contact with one another, considering that she was Yuuta's closest friends. They have very good chemistry with one another - every bit as good as Yuuta has with Rikka.

It is devastating to meet a friend you are developing feelings for, after a year, only to find that he has already been taken.

However, I must admit, there was a part of me that thought: if the "Hostage" scene was animated, the amount of Hate Shichimiya would get from the audience would be.... considerable.
Yeah, this novel really plays with that expectation for Shichimiya to be a rival...and she's never one. She constantly says "I won't lose to Rikka" and yet we know she never had a chance. I liked the inclusion of Yuuta's monologue at the start of chapter 7 detailing exactly what he thought about Shichimiya as well as the later monologue going "but that's a 'what if.'" I felt that was very realistic for someone in his situation. It's really saved from that trope by his monologue and unless they pulled off a Disappearance style monologue in another season, people would really be furious, especially with what's happening in the anime now. I've commented privately to a couple people that this isn't a "love triangle" story; it's a "torture" story at its core.

I dread to see what would happen if that "hostage" scene is animated. The hate towards her would be incredibly immense. I think it works because of how balanced she is from chps 4 and 5, but anime fans are more "in the moment" than we like to be.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 10:39   Link #83
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Volume 2 thought

I almost hate Torako for putting such a character through this "torture." It's heart wrenching thinking about what had gone through her mind seeing Yuuta and Rikka together. Shichimiya was there first, and longer, and arguable knowing Yuuta better even at this point. I think I can even forgive her if she decided to create an angst scene (which I usually don't like). But no, she stays classy to the bitter end.

The word that comes to my mind for Shichimiya's chuunibyou is "Patient Zero." If this is a zombie apocalypse story, she would be the virus itself. One of those characters who get all the enhanced abilities without losing self-control (e.g. Alex Mercer from [Prototype]). The fact that she openly admit her story is made up already make me like her character. What even more sweet is she fully aware that she is causing trouble but can't help doing it since that is how she is. It's funny because I think she is the perfect person to give episode-11-anime-Rikka some great advices. I can imagine anime-Rikka running into this mysterious girl Sofia who listen to her trouble. Well, as if that would happen.

As stated, I'm an anime viewer which is at the height of Yuuta-Rikka love story, but I'd be one of the first in line to defend Shichimiya if the second volume is adapted and the Rikka Kidnaping Incident animated . I think someone who read both volumes will understand. The problem is if a person who watched anime decides to skip the first book since he/she assumes that the anime already covered it. That would be bad.

One thing I'm not sure I like it is the ending though. On the one hand it's great that such a fun character is sticking around, but on the other hand I'm not sure what role she'll fit in Yuuta and Rikka's relationship. I guess I cannot get rid of my worry that it'll actually turn into a love triangle, however unlikely it is.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 14:02   Link #84
johan8989

o.O

anyone can give me? at least, the illustrations / pictures ... the second light novel

please: S
johan8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 03:32   Link #85
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan8989 View Post
anyone can give me? at least, the illustrations / pictures ... the second light novel

please: S
The link is in ultimatemegax signature
Old 2012-12-26, 17:02   Link #86
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
As stated, I'm an anime viewer which is at the height of Yuuta-Rikka love story, but I'd be one of the first in line to defend Shichimiya if the second volume is adapted and the Rikka Kidnaping Incident animated . I think someone who read both volumes will understand. The problem is if a person who watched anime decides to skip the first book since he/she assumes that the anime already covered it. That would be bad.

One thing I'm not sure I like it is the ending though. On the one hand it's great that such a fun character is sticking around, but on the other hand I'm not sure what role she'll fit in Yuuta and Rikka's relationship. I guess I cannot get rid of my worry that it'll actually turn into a love triangle, however unlikely it is.
Much thanks, of course, to Ultimatemegax for the translation.

I'm sorry to say that at this point, I think it'd be pretty hard to get Shichimiya back into the anime, especially the kidnapping incident, in a way that would be compatible with the spirit of the original novels.

After reading the second novel, I for one was disappointed the anime writers didn't stick closer to the original novels. While some of the anime original characters had their moments, I personally don't feel they added enough to justify Shichimiya's absence. As has been discussed here, she's a great character, and she gives a romantic depth to the novels that's absent from the anime. Indeed, as a whole, while the first volume dragged at times, the novels have a *much* better treatment of Rikka and Yuuta's relationship. Yuuta from the beginning finds Rikka attractive, so his falling for her is a much smoother and more natural process in the novels, and we see them date properly. Shichimiya then adds obstacles the two have to overcome, but in a manner that feels much more natural than the amped up drama the novels resorted to. Without the plot causing such serious whiplash, the novel Yuuta struck me as more likable and consistent (although I thought the anime version was clearly well meaning). However, anime Rikka had the huge advantage of KyoAni's mastery of anime's visual medium, but that just makes me more disappointed they couldn't have stuck the original story more closely. Is there anyone who doesn't think KyoAni could have made Shichimiya as moe-laden a character as Rikka in the anime? This would have made more commercial sense too! I know there are only 12 episodes, but if the anime only material was cut, I think they could have squeezed everything in.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 13:17   Link #87
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Much thanks, of course, to Ultimatemegax for the translation.

I'm sorry to say that at this point, I think it'd be pretty hard to get Shichimiya back into the anime, especially the kidnapping incident, in a way that would be compatible with the spirit of the original novels.

After reading the second novel, I for one was disappointed the anime writers didn't stick closer to the original novels. While some of the anime original characters had their moments, I personally don't feel they added enough to justify Shichimiya's absence. As has been discussed here, she's a great character, and she gives a romantic depth to the novels that's absent from the anime. Indeed, as a whole, while the first volume dragged at times, the novels have a *much* better treatment of Rikka and Yuuta's relationship. Yuuta from the beginning finds Rikka attractive, so his falling for her is a much smoother and more natural process in the novels, and we see them date properly. Shichimiya then adds obstacles the two have to overcome, but in a manner that feels much more natural than the amped up drama the novels resorted to. Without the plot causing such serious whiplash, the novel Yuuta struck me as more likable and consistent (although I thought the anime version was clearly well meaning). However, anime Rikka had the huge advantage of KyoAni's mastery of anime's visual medium, but that just makes me more disappointed they couldn't have stuck the original story more closely. Is there anyone who doesn't think KyoAni could have made Shichimiya as moe-laden a character as Rikka in the anime? This would have made more commercial sense too! I know there are only 12 episodes, but if the anime only material was cut, I think they could have squeezed everything in.
I remembers either Ultimatemegax or someone else theorized that they couldn't add her because at the time of anime planning, the second novel wasn't written yet. Adding my own guess, I think KyoAni has no plan for a second season in a foreseeable future, so they decided to take out all reference to Shichimiya to make the anime self-contained.

I also prefers the novel Yuuta. I'm not sure about being more likeable, but I feels he is more well-defined in the novel, especially in the second one. At times he's so beta that I have to like the guy. As I mentioned earlier, another thing I kinda prefer the novel version is Nibutani. The "Class King" part of her character is missing almost entirely from the anime. Instead, she took over the "onee-san" role in the later part of the anime. While this made her more involved in Yuuta-Rikka relationship thus also the story as a whole, I think her character is less unique that way.

The strength of the novel is that it has a really tight focus on the Yuuta-Rikka relationship, in my opinion. I think the anime's biggest shortcoming was how the romance part and the family-drama part came together. That should be in the overall impression thread though. I need to get around typing that out.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 16:39   Link #88
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I also prefers the novel Yuuta. I'm not sure about being more likeable, but I feels he is more well-defined in the novel, especially in the second one. At times he's so beta that I have to like the guy. As I mentioned earlier, another thing I kinda prefer the novel version is Nibutani. The "Class King" part of her character is missing almost entirely from the anime. Instead, she took over the "onee-san" role in the later part of the anime. While this made her more involved in Yuuta-Rikka relationship thus also the story as a whole, I think her character is less unique that way.
I'm normally not a big fan of beta male leads, but I agree he's better defined in the novels. In short, his character is much more coherent and consistent. In both novel and anime versions, he's a good kid who means well, but his character just works better in the novels.

I also agree that the novel Nibutani is preferable, although the anime succeeded in giving her some depth by the end of the series.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 08:48   Link #89
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Lots of people were asking, and we finally have a concrete answer (never trust Wiki for on-going series). The Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! LNs will be continued.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2013-02-08 at 16:54.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:29   Link #90
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Fits here better than the image thread due to a story. When the second novel was released in Dec. 2011, the obi said that people who send in a part of it to an address would receive a Valentine's Day card drawn by Ousaka around Feb 14th, 2012. It was delayed, but people got their cards a couple days afterwards. I've hunted for one of these to purchase, but no luck. So on Valentine's Day (it's now Feb. 14th in Japan), here's the image from last year.

Old 2013-03-04, 03:35   Link #91
PinkBunnyChan

Hello uhm I'm a bit confused. In the second novel , Rikka is called " fallen angel" so what happened to Tyrant's eye? And Is Yuuta still called " dark flame master " ?
PinkBunnyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 09:40   Link #92
novalysis

I wouldn't be surprised if the second season revolved around Shichimiya. If they are going to reconcile the LN with the Anime, I suspect the trigger would be if Yuuta read Dekomori's compilation of Nibutani's writings - and recognized some very, very familiar fantasies in some of the pages. That's my speculation right now.
Old 2013-04-02, 01:25   Link #93
PinkBunnyChan

Will there be a second season?
PinkBunnyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 05:58   Link #94
Smillie

One question? The light Novel is finish or there is a volume 3 ?
Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 07:10   Link #95
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smillie View Post
One question? The light Novel is finish or there is a volume 3 ?
Answered earlier:
Quote:
Lots of people were asking, and we finally have a concrete answer (never trust Wiki for on-going series). The Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! LNs will be continued.

Old 2013-05-10, 11:10   Link #96
novalysis

I've seen alot of skepticism toward whether Chuunibyou could be continued, throughout the English Anime community. However, I think the few who have actually read the second volume of the LN by and large are of the opinion that Chuunibyou CAN be continued easily - presumably, even if Kyo-ani is not going to use the second volume, that suggest they have another idea.

And if they use the second volume, then possibly, the anime might converge back with the LN towards the last half or so, since I think it's possible to adapt Shinchimiya in without changing the general details of the second volume, even though the first season is almost unlike the first volume.

Since the LN thread is the only spoiler free thread, I'd think it's the only place so far where this question can be asked:

How likely will Satone Shinchimiya appear in the upcoming season of the anime, and how do you think the anime might handle it?

Right now, the most problematic scene in the first season is Yuuta's middle school flashback, where he confesses to a girl in full Chuunibyou mode. But, if Yuuta was already close friends with Satone, I'm not sure whether that scene is actually even likely. Of course, perhaps that girl in the flashback is the planned anime design for Satone, and Yuuta only dared to make such a Chuunibyou confession because it was.... Satone - and not because he was so delusional as to be unable to grasp how silly confessing in Chuunibyou mode was.

If this is the case, and indeed, Satone rejected Yuuta then, the relationship between Satone and Yuuta might then be not so much as pure one sided unrequited love, as it is a change of heart on the part of Satone that was just too late - by a few months. That might make things even more poignant. Rejecting a boy, parting from him for two years, and when you come back, and change your mind, find to your horror that another girl has already ninjaed her way into his heart, just a few months before you changed your mind.
Old 2013-05-10, 13:29   Link #97
Smillie

Thanks for the quickly answer!

Edit : The end of Anime is the end of volume 1 ?

Last edited by Smillie; 2013-05-10 at 13:52.
Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 07:00   Link #98
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smillie View Post
Edit : The end of Anime is the end of volume 1 ?
Simply put, the answer would be no.

From my perspective, about 80% of what's in the anime ,plotwise, are original. Anime starts taking different path from the novel as early as episode 2.

Without going into novel details, vol. 1 novel plot is more streightforward and contains less drama compare to second half of anime, but what I like more about the novel is it provides more insight about Yuuta and Nibutani as a character than Rikka.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 03:17   Link #99
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
An article posted on MSN today revealed that the second season will use the second novel as a base like the first season used the first novel as a base. Again, the new character in the second novel will appear in the second season.
To be honest, I'm a little worried here. How will the anime handled Shichimiya?

Given the anime has to somehow altered her background with Yuuta, I suspect they will give more focus on Shichimiya=>Nibutani<=Deko over the expected Rikka=>Yuuta<=Shichimiya which, while not the best, is quite an acceptable scenario for me. After all...

Quote:
-They want to introduce new character(s) without it getting muddled or turning into a love triangle. It's supposed to be a laid-back chuunibyou comedy.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 13:07   Link #100
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
To be honest, I'm a little worried here. How will the anime handled Shichimiya?

Given the anime has to somehow altered her background with Yuuta, I suspect they will give more focus on Shichimiya=>Nibutani<=Deko over the expected Rikka=>Yuuta<=Shichimiya which, while not the best, is quite an acceptable scenario for me. After all...
I think that Shicihimiya might well be the girl in the flashback , when Yuuta remembered being rejected. It could be a case of let's be friends - REALLY be friends, not a matter of politeness in rejection.

Though even without a Love Triangle, it could be slightly poignant. Perhaps Shichimiya renounces all romantic claims to Yuuta publicly, and does not raise it up the matter on-screen for the rest of the season.

For some reason, the scenario that Shichimiya rejected Yuuta in Middle School, and had a near change of heart when she transferred in, only to realize that Yuuta was already taken in the intervening period appeals to me greatly....

I do think Deko would kiss the ground Shichimiya walks on though, if Shichimiya remains in her role as Nibutani's inspiriation. If that's the case, I wonder how much of the Mabinoglon actually originated from Yuuta and Shichimiya's Chuunibyou, and was borrowed by Nibutani.

Tags
chuunibyou, comedy, kyoani, romance