Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-08, 00:00   Link #61
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
you can blame the MC for changing her setting
She would have been worse if he hadn't changed it the term b**** has a slightly different meaning in japanese. It would have ment she was an extremely loose woman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
Actually, that's one (actually the only so far) thing that rubbed me the wrong way. I'd be fine with the author trying to pull off some romance with her, but because she actually likes Momonga, not because she was programmed to like him. That's just sad in so many ways.
You might have missed he wasn't exactly intrested in her in that way and felt guilty about doing it. And as I pointed out above her old setting wouldn't have been much different other then going after at least anything that was male.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 00:53   Link #62
Key Board
Carbon

I don't like the the opening and ending imagery

too much emphasis on Albedo
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 01:26   Link #63
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
She would have been worse if he hadn't changed it the term b**** has a slightly different meaning in japanese. It would have ment she was an extremely loose woman

You might have missed he wasn't exactly intrested in her in that way and felt guilty about doing it. And as I pointed out above her old setting wouldn't have been much different other then going after at least anything that was male.
I don't really blame Momonga actually. It was just something he did on a whim because the game would be shut down anyway, so whatever, might as well screw around a bit. It rubs me off the wrong way storywise. And that's only if the whole her liking him thing gets treated seriously, if it's only used for comedy here and there I can overlook it without any problems.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 01:39   Link #64
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

LOL for people saying that removing the real world MC and focus on the newly self aware NPC's, would mean taking out the easy way for people to connect with the story.

Anyway free flowing thoughts on episode 1:

Character design ain't so bad
*Sigh* that felling when a MMO closes down hurts a bit...or a guild dies kek
That boob grope fanservice doe
"So you're saying the skeleton doesn't have a... boner?"
Mare the trap master. Traps 5 evar!
LOL Albedo's Yandare Yuno Face on the ending. XD

Ok first episode. I'm guessing they'll be adapting until Vol. 4-6 then. Expect evil villany stuff in the future.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 01:55   Link #65
MonkeyDude

Well it looks like SS Shalltear already sunk before it even left port. That's okay since Albedo is best girl anyway!

Anyway off to a great start adaptation wise. Looks to be up to volume three based on the OP. Good thing too as it sets up the end of the cour on a high note and possibly another season? Time to enjoy the ride.
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 02:52   Link #66
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

looks more like connected to SAO/NGNL rather than Log Horizon/.hack
this may be fun but not as interesting as LH where a lot themes are explored.
Old 2015-07-08, 03:00   Link #67
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 1

Eh, this looked pretty cheap production wise even by Madhouse standards. And that CG, lol.

That aside content was okay I guess. I dig the concept of the MC basically being a giant Skeleton Overlord, but this had least convincing "trapped" game scenario out of all the ones I've seen so far (SAO, Log Horizon, .hack//SIGN). Mainly because it just happened without a hint of any external or internal catalysts. There was also way too much internal monologuing bogging down everything, so hopefully that's cut down a bit in the future. Otherwise I'm interested to see where this goes.

Quote:
I don't really blame Momonga actually. It was just something he did on a whim because the game would be shut down anyway, so whatever, might as well screw around a bit. It rubs me off the wrong way storywise. And that's only if the whole her liking him thing gets treated seriously, if it's only used for comedy here and there I can overlook it without any problems.
It's no worse than the forced loyalty everyone has towards to him, so I don't see much point in complaining about only that.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-07-08 at 03:23.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 03:35   Link #68
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Yeah, it seemed a bit of a contrived coincidence. He might have set that to anything really, he just happened to choose the ONE THING that'll give us silly hijinks from now on .

And by the way, was anyone else surprised when Momonga realized something had changed because the NPCs' mouths moved when they talked? Are we to imagine that a VR full immersion game from the 2100s with hyperrealistic graphics lacks an animation for talking NPCs ?

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 04:49   Link #69
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

^ I know, right... Re: the talking npcs.

Quote:
Personally, it was the entirety of this situation, including the premise of the character and terminology used which bothered me, not the reprogramming by itself. And I didn't think it was funny, which makes me worry about the humour of this show a little

But yeah, that was my only gripe so far.
Old 2015-07-08, 05:15   Link #70
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
There was also way too much internal monologuing bogging down everything, so hopefully that's cut down a bit in the future. Otherwise I'm interested to see where this goes..
I actually liked it since it helped flesh out the MC. But I'm kinda used to it as a storytelling device I guess.

Sometimes I feel there is a clash in storytelling when it comes to adaptations. Anime as a medium typically attracts the "show don't tell" crowds, while the LN source material is replete with internal monologue to give context and character development.

I feel at times that failed adaptations typically suffer from not finding the right balance on transitioning to the anime medium. I mean Haruhi was able to pull it off. It had Kyon monolouging for quite a lot in an episode and yet it actually felt like it added to the story rather than detract from it.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 06:59   Link #71
Iron Maw
Banned

It's definitely a balance thing, as internal monologues (and exposition) are not bad in themselves. But when written works are being transitioned in visual mediums it's important to make structural changes to reflect that and better engage the audience. Unlike text, movies and TV in general are not as limited in to what the get across about what almost any character is thinking or feeling (see Rage of Bahamut Genesis for one example). Not that internal monologues don't have their place for expression within there too (especially when comes to dealing with internal characters like Kyon), but like exposition I believe they need to be used moderately since they aren't strictly necessary compensate for the lack of visual detail like you would a book.

That said in case of Overlord, after thinking about it a bit more Skeletor Momonga using inner dialogue to express himself more than most makes sense when you consider that he's... well stiff. Being nothing more than bones doesn't leave much room subtle mannerisms and such (not mention the budget for this show seems modest at best.).
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 07:05   Link #72
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm not all that worried about the programmed love aspect. I mean this is a game world brought to life or something of that nature. The programmed thoughts and relationships are just the starting point if that. Plenty of time for relationships to worsen or improve along the way. In a sense puts the MC in a tougher spot since he knows where those feelings originally came from.
Good observation. I totally agree with you.

Quote:
Wait, b**** doesn't mean like that in English ? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
*Sigh* that felling when a MMO closes down hurts a bit...or a guild dies kek
This is what set this story apart from other MMO story for me.
When I'm a gamer my age who play a lot of MMORPG. Many had already shut down. I reach the point that in my conversation with my friends it usually about "remember that game we played together back in university ?" "remember that rare item we obtained" "how glorious the guild war was" "remember all the time and effort we wasted on that game ? lol"

This aspect of story really give me a feel.

Quote:
That aside content was okay I guess. I dig the concept of the MC basically being a giant Skeleton Overlord, but this had least convincing "trapped" game scenario out of all the ones I've seen so far (SAO, Log Horizon, .hack//SIGN). Mainly because it just happened without a hint of any external or internal catalysts. There was also way too much internal monologuing bogging down everything, so hopefully that's cut down a bit in the future. Otherwise I'm interested to see where this goes.
I don't think LH hinted anything about how players was trapped in the game at the start either ? Only SAO that did that.

That aside, this story is also dialogue heavy just like Log Horizon. However, unlike Log Horizon which has fellow players to converse with. Momonga is all by himself. So he will talk to himself a lot The anime has already toned a lot down from LN so It look kinda promising to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
I feel at times that failed adaptations typically suffer from not finding the right balance on transitioning to the anime medium. I mean Haruhi was able to pull it off. It had Kyon monolouging for quite a lot in an episode and yet it actually felt like it added to the story rather than detract from it.
We have to hand it to Tomokazu Sugita, Kyon VA. He can basically carry the show by himself with his ironic tone. Be it Haruhi or Kanon or whatever show he was in. He is definitely my favorite voice actor.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 08:11   Link #73
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
Wait, b**** doesn't mean like that in English ? lol
While it can, it's default meaning in English is more of some one with a very abrasive personality ie a spiteful or unpleasant woman. The Japanese version is more a dog in heat
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 08:23   Link #74
James Rye

A question though, how does the MC smell in this kinda body? Or have any kind of touch feel? I mean, he is just bones, isn't he? He got no nose or skin or heck even a D to do anything or feel anything at all, so how could he still smell and feel when all that stuff was missing? Did he ever questioned that in the LN?
Old 2015-07-08, 08:37   Link #75
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

This is nice. A player who is a skeleton at max level in a new world with his minions. This will be quite entertaining to see what he does now especially he now has to balance his leader and real life identities.
Old 2015-07-08, 10:29   Link #76
Draco Spirit

Quiet liking the twist he's the only human in a newly awakened world. The fanservice based humour pretty good too.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 10:56   Link #77
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Enjoyed it. Some memes in it seem new (to me, at least) and feel effective:
  • being the badass big guy from the beginning, admired by all, and more or less in control;
  • being a very non-human protagonist, obeyed by more human-looking servants;
  • the inner weak human voice and outer strong in-character voice (good work by Hino Satoshi);
  • happy to leave "real" life for the game world;
  • the solipsistic feel of it, the feeling both that you are alone, and that the world revolves around you.
There's a lot of potential psychological satisfaction in some of these things. Rather otaku/hikikomori satisfaction. We'll see how they evolve.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 11:02   Link #78
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Did he ever questioned that in the LN?
IIRC yes he did. He even questioned how can he stay in one piece in the first place.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 11:08   Link #79
bakato

Quote:
Eh, this looked pretty cheap production wise even by Madhouse standards. And that CG, lol.

It's no worse than the forced loyalty everyone has towards to him, so I don't see much point in complaining about only that.
Log Horizon never gave any hint of catalysts either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
A question though, how does the MC smell in this kinda body? Or have any kind of touch feel? I mean, he is just bones, isn't he? He got no nose or skin or heck even a D to do anything or feel anything at all, so how could he still smell and feel when all that stuff was missing? Did he ever questioned that in the LN?
Fantasy. There is no scientific explanation for how the main character perceives things when he's nothing but bones.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 12:13   Link #80
Twi

@Iron Maw

DotHack and SAO were being trapped in a game. Log Horizon wasn't so much as being trapped in a game, but being pulled into another world with the mechanics of the game, similar to Rising of the Shield Hero.

Overlord has him in another world without any of the mechanics of a game so far (menu, health bars, etc) but a magic system. You can't really compare it to them anymore than you could to Digimon.