AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate 0 - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 0 0%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 40.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 20.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 20.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2018-06-05, 09:24   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Steins;Gate 0 - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Steins;Gate 0, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2018-06-06, 11:31   Link #2
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Honestly, I'm not even sure what the scenarists are trying with the adaptation considering it is a complete cluster of 3-4 different routes at the same time, which in turn lead to some... weird outcome (considering they originally have exclusive elements from each other).

Aside of adaptation portion, the general direction of the episode was pretty static in general. The pacing was generally fine with the serious and comedy parts. But well yeah, this episode was pretty much some transition/info dump without really anything special (and some really weird BGM choice, like Okarin/Suzuha scene), except for that scene between Suzuha and Daru.
Also, adding the stealth function was a good idea. I wasn't sure how the time machine could even remain hidden like that in Akihabara considering the surrounding buildings and stuff.

But seriously, Okarin imagining Kurisu by his side and -discussing- with her really rubs me the wrong way. With all that stuff about making Okarin more resolved about the beta world line after meeting Kurisu, it makes him even more delusional in the process.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-06-06 at 11:54.
Old 2018-06-06, 13:19   Link #3
Jaden

From what I've gathered without actually playing it...seems like the "common route" of this VN is much shorter than that of the original, with most of the action taking place in character specific routes. Long branches have always been a challenge for anime adaptations - I'm not surprised that they are jazzing it up.
Old 2018-06-06, 14:16   Link #4
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It does feel as if things are a bit stalled right now. The end result still appears to be Okabe getting in that darn time machine and moving things towards the Steins;Gate world line. But he's still stubborn on actually doing that. Guess he needs to try and fail to stop the impending WW3 before he'll be desperate enough to do that.

Was a bit all over the place with this episode though. Jumping about through a variety of individual conflicts/issues.
Old 2018-06-06, 14:25   Link #5
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

When I first heard that a SG0 adaptation was in the making, I always wondered how they would pull this off. Unlike the original SG, which is really just one narrative with the occasional side branch, SG0 is structured more traditionally, like a tree of events with branches that are about equal in length.

I was wondering when the first voices of people being worried about the future of the series would show up. It appears the time is now. I was actually expecting them much sooner. So kudos to the writers for pulling this off so well up to this point.

For the record, I'm not worried at this point in time because I do not put any value in 1-to-1 adaptations. Especially for something as complicated as SG0 (the game). They could run an entirely anime original plotline with an anime original ending for all I care. As long as it serves the show and the writing is of good quality (different =/= bad) it matters shit all to me.
Old 2018-06-06, 16:52   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Mostly a transition episode. The situation must really tough for Suzuha, she experienced the horror that is coming first hand, and the guy who could prevent it from happening is refusing to. There was at least an improvement, in that Okabe is now actively trying to prevent WWIII, just without the use of a time machine. We already know this struggle is useless, but it should be interesting to watch.

I have a question: it was stated that creating a time machine by using knowledge from the future is impossible because it would create a paradox, but isn't it what Daru is doing? Or has he actually not examined the time machine at all? I forgot if they explained that to us. I only recall Suzuha urging him to start getting serious about making a time machine in an early episode.
Old 2018-06-06, 17:07   Link #7
HtwoN

Daru is the one who will build the time machine based on the time-leap-machine microwave. I don't think it has anything to do with copying the time machine Suzuha brought.
Old 2018-06-06, 17:41   Link #8
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Suzuha in the game actually placed an order on Daru to not get close to and examine any part the time machine, of course much to Daru's dismay. Daru being there in this episode should be the exception because of what happened just before. I said should because I can't remember if Daru has been on the rooftop since ep.1. The anime is just so different now that any info from the game is of no use at all.
Old 2018-06-06, 17:44   Link #9
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I do seem to recall Daru spending some time in or near the time machine in the game as well. But I'm also fairly sure that Suzuha made absolutely sure he never observed any part of it that actually matters.
Old 2018-06-06, 18:22   Link #10
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That's correct. Normally Suzuha made sure that Daru cannot inspect the time machine, except for mundane maintenance.
However, the battery pack was a different matter because Suzuha was certain Daru wouldn't understand a single thing about it (not seen in this episode, mind you).

The anime glossed about it, but it is pretty much confirmed that Daru is not allowed to study the time machine at all.
Old 2018-06-06, 18:24   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

What about the alpha worldline in S;G where Daru repaired Suzuha's time machine and therefore likely gained knowledge he shouldn't have had? In that worldline, Suzuha didn't know Daru was her dad so it makes sense she let him work on it, but wouldn't that have messed with the future?
Old 2018-06-06, 18:26   Link #12
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

We can't tell if it is because the FG204 is so much different compared to the C204, but considering how SG went, it didn't pose an issue.
It is a bit convenient, but Daru only had 2 days and Okarin made him work hard as time was essence in this case. Furthermore, I think Suzuha assisted him most of the time, so I don't think Daru learned anything critical about the time machine there.

Then again, that part was basically toasted by Okarin's D-mail cancellation so...

But in general, it is also the fact that "time paradox" itself is a though cookie because it is all dandy in theory, but no one would ever push their luck in practice, since they could potentially be "fixed" by the world. The world itself changes its parameters after every world line shift, so who know how a paradox would be fixed in such case. So I understand why Beta Suzuha is way more careful than Alpha Suzuha as the former's mission is all about 2010, whereas the latter's is all about 1975.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-06-07 at 02:09.
Old 2018-06-07, 03:58   Link #13
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

We have never really seen a paradox take effect.

The fact that time travel itself already causes a worldline shift on arrival makes it questionable that time paradoxes are even possible. For the most part it's a case of people not wanting to take the risk.

Besides, even if time doesn't just "break", using knowledge from the future will irreparably change that future quite drastically, since the whole process of obtaining said knowledge naturally is omitted from the new order of events. The results of this can be rather unpredictable.
Old 2018-06-07, 05:20   Link #14
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
We have never really seen a paradox take effect
We have actually. Me and Klash discussed this in the previous episode thread. But these paradoxes are about something so minor that they don't have a direct effect on the world line.
Old 2018-06-07, 06:17   Link #15
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So... It didn't take effect.
Old 2018-06-07, 06:19   Link #16
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
So... It didn't take effect.
It did take effect, but it doesn't change world lines. But I guess that's semantics.
Old 2018-06-08, 12:45   Link #17
Marina2

Anyone noticed how Maho right arm was shaking when she talked about finding a new hotel to stay? That was nice little detail.