AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-08-22, 00:09   Link #1
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
NFL and College Football (American Football) Thread

Welcome,

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the NFL and College Football Discussion Thread. As we getting close to September, the start of American Football!

*Sniffs the pigskin hard*

Oh, you can smell greatness of football and every pure action from it.

So let's have fun and make a good, trash talkin', in your face American Football Thread!

Speaking of NFL Discussion's, Probably all of heard and kept track of the Michael Vick pleading guilty to his allegience to Dog Fighting. This is Discussion thread so feel to let it out.

Tomorrow, I'll continuing to do more on this thread on Upcoming Games and you all can projections on NFL and College Football season.
Old 2007-08-22, 05:12   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Thread Rules
  • No campaigning
    Any posts with "Go Team" or "We're taking it this year" type verbiage will be deleted. Discuss why you think your team will do well this year but please, no campaigning.

• Do not insult or harass other members for their choices.
    Please remember: this is for fun. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a team or player you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won’t be tolerated.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It’s great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the other fans of the game.

• No offensive trash talk.
    While it seems trash talk is nowadays inherent when discussion sports, please keep it humorous, not derogatory. This applies typically when discussing opposing teams and players.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 12:48   Link #3
tkdtiger

Well I think there are alot of questions this year for many teams. Tampa Bay for example has alot of questions at the QB position. Sure they have Garcia, who is a vetran, but with Simms still not up to par and frankly Rattay an Gradkowski under performing they better hope Garcia stays healthy.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 12:55   Link #4
Simplex
And I'm feeling good

There's talk about Simms being cut.
Simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 13:06   Link #5
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
If true, we here in NO would gladly take him as backup. The fanbase atm isn't too confident with Jamie Martin as our #2 backup to Brees.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 13:21   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

LMAO...I was campaigning wasn't I? But still it's all about the Saints this year for me^^...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1|Iwata_kun View Post
If true, we here in NO would gladly take him as backup. The fanbase atm isn't too confident with Jamie Martin as our #2 backup to Brees.
Yeah Jamie Martin scares the hell outta me..I want Tyler Palko to be the back-up more than him...but if Simms becomes availible as much as I've hated him in the past, he'd be a needed back-up here...
Old 2007-08-22, 14:16   Link #7
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
Well as of recent Gruden has said that he hopes that Simms gets well to become the backup, because Gradkowski hasn't been playing as well as he hoped...Right now I don't think Simms has to worry, but it may become an issue in the next couple of preseason games.

Apparently alot of teams seemed interested in Simms including the Bills.

I think the no campaigning rule is kind of pointless...truthfully if you talk about your team or any other team it will come off as sounding campaign like...
Old 2007-08-22, 14:27   Link #8
rimaa

JaMarcus Russell still hasn't signed his contract with the raiders, i wonder when we'll finally see if this guy was worth the number 1 pick.

I'm from Houston and i still have yet to get over the fact we drafted Mario Williams instead of Bush or Young(who would've also sold tickets) with faith in Carr last season, only to later ditch him this off-season for Schaub. But no point in crying over spilled milk, I'll be rooting for the Texans this season to finally make the playoffs!
rimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 14:33   Link #9
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaa View Post
JaMarcus Russell still hasn't signed his contract with the raiders, i wonder when we'll finally see if this guy was worth the number 1 pick.

I'm from Houston and i still have yet to get over the fact we drafted Mario Williams instead of Bush or Young(who would've also sold tickets) with faith in Carr last season, only to later ditch him this off-season for Schaub. But no point in crying over spilled milk, I'll be rooting for the Texans this season to finally make the playoffs!
The Raiders aren't going to play him this year anyway even if he did sign probably. If he did play, the raiders are just asking for him to get hurt with that suspect OL. Plus, it doesn't help that Donte has been pretty much placed in that starting position and has gone through camp. It's looking more and more like his team for this year. I could be wrong though >.>

Quote:
Yeah Jamie Martin scares the hell outta me..I want Tyler Palko to be the back-up more than him...but if Simms becomes availible as much as I've hated him in the past, he'd be a needed back-up here...
I don't think Tyler Palko is ready for that spot yet. I'd rather we have veteran there. Tyler Palko is still a rookie, lets not get too ahead of ourselves ;p. I think he will eventually be our number two though

Last edited by Isako; 2007-08-22 at 15:02.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 14:42   Link #10
Highman

Alright here's College Football Fans for this year AP top 25 pre-season poll and USA Todays top 25 pre-season poll:

AP POLL:

AP Top 25
1. USC (62) 0-0 1,622
2. LSU (2) 0-0 1,511
3. West Virginia (1) 0-0 1,396
4. Texas 0-0 1,375
5. Michigan 0-0 1,371
6. Florida 0-0 1,276
7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,192
8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,166
9. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,148
10. Louisville 0-0 1,031
11. Ohio State 0-0 876
12. California 0-0 790
13. Georgia 0-0 782
14. UCLA 0-0 605
15. Tennessee 0-0 571
16. Rutgers 0-0 560
17. Penn State 0-0 542
18. Auburn 0-0 519
19. Florida State 0-0 392
20. Nebraska 0-0 377
21. Arkansas 0-0 376
22. TCU 0-0 283
23. Hawaii 0-0 256
24. Boise State 0-0 187
25. Texas A&M 0-0 162
Others Receiving Votes
Missouri 128, Georgia Tech 94, Boston College 75, Oregon 73, South Carolina 69, Miami (FL) 68, Alabama 66, Oregon State 42, Wake Forest 40, South Florida 28, Arizona State 17, Brigham Young 14, Southern Miss 12, Notre Dame 11, Virginia 7, Clemson 6, Oklahoma State 3, Texas Tech 2, Purdue 1, Houston 1, Kentucky 1, North Carolina State 1.

USA TODAY'S TOP 25 Poll:

1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481
2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372
3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278
4. Texas 0-0 1,231
5. Michigan (2) 0-0 1,218
6. West Virginia 0-0 1,205
7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114
8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026
9. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,005
10. Ohio State 0-0 919
11. Louisville 0-0 836
12. California 0-0 763
13. Georgia 0-0 604
14. Auburn 0-0 595
15. Tennessee 0-0 583
16. Rutgers 0-0 466
17. UCLA 0-0 454
18. Penn State 0-0 440
19. Nebraska 0-0 388
20. Arkansas 0-0 360
21. Florida State 0-0 301
22. TCU 0-0 233
23. Boise State 0-0 222
24. Hawaii 0-0 214
25. Texas A&M 0-0 209
Others Receiving Votes
Boston College 150, Georgia Tech 150, Miami (FL) 91, Notre Dame 90, South Carolina 90, Wake Forest 71, Missouri 58, Oregon State 52, Brigham Young 47, Clemson 30, Oregon 30, South Florida 26, Texas Tech 20, Alabama 16, Oklahoma State 15, Southern Miss 14, Iowa 12, Kansas State 8, Memphis 5, Houston 4, Arizona 1, Duke 1, Kentucky 1, Washington State 1

I'll do more later tonight, right now fire away!

Last edited by Highman; 2007-08-22 at 14:53.
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 17:13   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
I think the no campaigning rule is kind of pointless...truthfully if you talk about your team or any other team it will come off as sounding campaign like...
Just to be clear here, the no campaigning rules are here to try and stop pointless posts such as the following
Quote:
Go 49ers!!!
We're taking it this year!!
If a post was made such as this with nothing else, just a couple of lines saying "Go Team, go", then chances are it will get deleted. There's campaigning and there's pointless campaigning.

Now, if you made a post which had a decent paragraph worth of comment along with the lines Go 49ers!!! We're taking it this year!! then it would be acceptable since you at least made the effort to state something more than just a victory chant.

The rule doesn't mean you can't express your hopes and opinion for your team, just add some actual content to your post
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 19:02   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1|Iwata_kun View Post
I don't think Tyler Palko is ready for that spot yet. I'd rather we have veteran there. Tyler Palko is still a rookie, lets not get too ahead of ourselves ;p. I think he will eventually be our number two though
Dude I'm a football aficianado...Obviously I don't think Palko is the answer, I just said i'd take him over Martin as of today...Martin has no awareness in the pocket...and he scares me almost more than Palko starting would scare me...

Pro and college Louisiana looking so strong...LSU is my alma mater and it would be sweet for us to win it all in New Orleans this year at the BCS championship...
Old 2007-08-22, 23:04   Link #13
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Just to be clear here, the no campaigning rules are here to try and stop pointless posts such as the following

If a post was made such as this with nothing else, just a couple of lines saying "Go Team, go", then chances are it will get deleted. There's campaigning and there's pointless campaigning.

Now, if you made a post which had a decent paragraph worth of comment along with the lines Go 49ers!!! We're taking it this year!! then it would be acceptable since you at least made the effort to state something more than just a victory chant.

The rule doesn't mean you can't express your hopes and opinion for your team, just add some actual content to your post
IC I misunderstood thanks for the clarification
Old 2007-08-24, 13:50   Link #14
Highman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Dude I'm a football aficianado...Obviously I don't think Palko is the answer, I just said i'd take him over Martin as of today...Martin has no awareness in the pocket...and he scares me almost more than Palko starting would scare me...

Pro and college Louisiana looking so strong...LSU is my alma mater and it would be sweet for us to win it all in New Orleans this year at the BCS championship...
I think LSU has a strong chance to win the National Title this year, for the run of the National Title it would be over six teams battling, as For USC at no. 1, the chances for them to lose around possible two games in at California and UCLA, there are the only team to prove that they can beat USC. It just me hoping again for USC to lose those games and I can put Notre Dame add in as well, if there QB situation can be worked out and ND Coach Charlie Weis promised to the media that they will have starter named on the 20th of Aug. so they're he's got his mind on bit of confusion for which QB to start on Sept 1st against GT (Georgia Tech).

As I still keep word, I'll try to do more work on this thread tonight!

NFL Preseason Highlights from tonight, including more NFL News and Notes, College Football News, as we await till next week.
Old 2007-08-24, 14:48   Link #15
Highman

CFL mini news coming in today:

Florida State Names Drew Weatherford QB for there starter at Clemson, Sept 3rd:

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=705538

Those Smiley winks mean, I'm a Noles Fan!
Old 2007-08-24, 17:25   Link #16
devildog23
Summerlurking

I know this is a couple days old, but DUDE WTF why the hell did the Eagles cut Trotter?!??!?! I know they have Omar Gaither, TKO, and Gocong, but WHY? 4 time pro bowler, hes not even that old yet...Hes 30, Mcnabbs almost 30 too. Any other Eagles fans out there got an answer for me?

I just hope he doesn't get picked up by Dallas, or anybody in our division...
devildog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 23:53   Link #17
Highman

Ladies and Gentlemen, It's time for CFL (College Football) and NFL News for August 28th:

Michael Vick pleads guilty for federal dogfighting ring:

Falcons QB has pleaded guilty and will take sentencing on Dec 10th, with troubling stand all over in him. After his sentencing, standing in the front of the media. Vick apologized to the fans and his team Atlanta Falcons, he said that he made bad judgement and will redeem himself.

"I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to bettering Michael Vick the person, not the football player."

Michael Vick, Statement in a press conference over pleading guilty on Dogfighting charges.

more on this on http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2992890

Sorry, I could have done much on this so and I'm asking anyone to keep this thread up and running, please put their news up to date and put my date as well too. THANK YOU!

Speaking of Atlanta Falcons, they play their final pre-season game in home taking on Cincinnati:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th
CIN (0-3) 0 13 0 6 19 FINAL
ATL (2-1) 7 7 10 0 24
August 27, 2007 - Georgia Dome

Highlights on: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270827001

More NFL NEWS:

Briggs fails at driving at the wheel:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2992847

Asante Samuel will head out to Pats' Camp and sign 1yr with the Pats, thus ending his holdout:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=2993035

Browns may not likely to put Quinn as starting QB:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=2991944

THAT'S IT FOR THE NFL NEWS, HERE'S CFL NEWS:

Former USC RB Emmanuel Moody will transfer to Florida: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2992872

Alabama Head Coach Suspends two players for season opener:
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=706623

Well thats it for this nights CFL and NFL news, can't wait till Thursday Night!

Sound off right now, I will be in check with everyone's thoughts!
Old 2007-08-28, 09:35   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
Asante Samuel will head out to Pats' Camp and sign 1yr with the Pats, thus ending his holdout:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=2993035
As the article said, it's not clear what, if anything, Samuel accomplished by this holdout. The Patriots held all the cards once they designated him a franchise player.

Anyone who comes to the Patriots and doesn't know by now that they consider everybody expendible hasn't been paying attention. (Well, maybe not Brady, but even there you never know.) Deion Branch is a good case in point.

I was pretty impressed with Samuel's performance last season and am glad he's chosen to return. I just hope he plays at the same level and doesn't spend all season thinking how unappreciated he is.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 17:34   Link #19
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well Samuels is a key player and unlike Pats players from years past he indeed seems to be less expendable...His ability to recognize route combinations is perhaps his most elegant skill...No one in the NFL disguises man-zone coverages aswell as Asante Samuel (Jumps out-routes like it's second nature)...He's easily top 5-10 corner in the league..I can't blame him, he tried to holdout for more money and he didn't have to go to training camp (Which most veterans hate and know how to prepare for the reg. season without)...He was gonna get a huge pay day anyways as a franchise player, so it really wasn't a win-lose scenerio as much as it was a win-really win...So he just won, and next year he'll really win and command an even bigger payday...

New England's roster is so unfair right now T_T ...
Old 2007-08-29, 12:22   Link #20
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Anyone who comes to the Patriots and doesn't know by now that they consider everybody expendible hasn't been paying attention. (Well, maybe not Brady, but even there you never know.) Deion Branch is a good case in point.
If Brady thinks he's not expendable, he's got bad news coming in his future.

The Patriots are the best organization about maximizing efficiency between cost and risk. Lots of teams will take on risk for reward, lots of teams manage cost well. Few teams manage to do both succesfully for any length of time. The second Brady's cost exceeds his potential value to the Patriots, he'll be gone. They are the model of how a long-term succesful NFL organization should be run.

Anyway, I'm a huge Broncos fan. I'm a little concerned about our new defense, and I keep telling myself it simply looks worse in preseason because no actual gameplan has been installed. Cutler seems erratic at QB, but I'm hoping that he'll work himself out of that as the year goes on because otherwise we seem fairly well off on offense.

Tags
american football, sports