Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-16, 08:46   Link #1
Xarrais
Hinata *drool*

License time to Air Time

I havn't been downloading animes for long ( just started last month with naruto some friends told me about it)

I was wondering how long after a license goes out till the show airs in the US ?? Kinda thinking it will be along time really dreading when they finally license naruto.
Old 2004-04-16, 08:49   Link #2
7thMethuselah

the DVD's often a year or so before getting released, I don' know for sure about TV releases but judging from the fact the episodes have to be translated or dubbed and often get altered as well, it's safe to say at least a year after the license has been acquired...
Old 2004-04-16, 09:28   Link #3
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarrais
I havn't been downloading animes for long ( just started last month with naruto some friends told me about it)

I was wondering how long after a license goes out till the show airs in the US ?? Kinda thinking it will be along time really dreading when they finally license naruto.
well not all show is licensed to air so some on them just go on dvd.The one that could will probably take a year or so.
Old 2004-04-16, 09:42   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

The time between license and the first DVD release differs between series. There are numerous factors that affect the amount of time needed; complexity of the dialogue affects the translation, English editing and adaptation, voice actor casting and dub recording, etc...

Although, generally speaking, the process of having acquired the license to product release usually takes about eight to twelve months, sometimes more.
Old 2004-04-16, 10:46   Link #5
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
The time between license and the first DVD release differs between series. There are numerous factors that affect the amount of time needed; complexity of the dialogue affects the translation, English editing and adaptation, voice actor casting and dub recording, etc...

Although, generally speaking, the process of having acquired the license to product release usually takes about eight to twelve months, sometimes more.
The other thing is, we don't really know when something is announced... They might announce it just as they got the license (like Kodocha), or they might announce it when a product is about to come out (like Geneon's announcements).
Old 2004-04-17, 22:28   Link #6
dee
dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
The other thing is, we don't really know when something is announced... They might announce it just as they got the license (like Kodocha), or they might announce it when a product is about to come out (like Geneon's announcements).
Bottom line, it depends on the company. True, but Kodocha was actually licensed for a while before it was announced.
Old 2004-04-18, 14:05   Link #7
bobbyboy

i dont get it? why do some people like how anime is liscended?
Old 2004-04-18, 14:09   Link #8
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboy
Because it puts food on my table.

Some people are quite happy to have the US companies at one remove from the Japanese producers while they're working on their shows - they're worried that when we get "too" involved, the show ceases to be anime anymore. This usually isn't a big deal - I mean, we funded Chance Pop Session, Kino's Journey, and Kaleido Star, none of which are really aimed at a Western audience - but it's still a theoretical possibility.

A lot of peole just think we do a better job, mostly because we actually do a better job. ;p
Old 2004-04-18, 14:14   Link #9
method

Quote:
Simple. Some people like to support the anime industry and get their favorite in as highest quality as possible. Also people like to hear dubbed works, or they don't have access to fansubs.
Old 2004-04-18, 14:18   Link #10
bobbyboy

ya i kno but, when i see like trigun or kenshin on cartoon network with englsih voices it kinda pisses me off.
Old 2004-04-18, 14:35   Link #11
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Quote:
ya i kno but, when i see like trigun or kenshin on cartoon network with englsih voices it kinda pisses me off.
Also, we have to keep in mind that distribution companies deal with dozens upon dozens of titles all at the same time. On top of continually acquiring new titles and getting a crew together to do the dub and translation work, there are numerous other titles already announced that work still has to continue on. ADV is just releasing the Slayers movies after having them for oodles of time, Bandai might be getting somewhere with Zeta Gundam after a couple of years... we have to keep in mind that it's kind of difficult for companies to focus on just one project at a time (because in a sense, that would be impossible).
Old 2004-04-18, 15:40   Link #12
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Well then go buy the actual DVDs or something. I'm sure they have the subtitles and Japanese audio. If you're too young, ask your parents if they can buy it for you. In either case, don't gripe if you can't buy it, because it's not your _right_ to get anime to your liking.
Old 2004-04-18, 18:38   Link #13
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Bandai might be getting somewhere with Zeta Gundam after a couple of years...

Bandai is releasing Z Gundam in a complete boxed set this September, following later with individual disc releases.
Old 2004-04-19, 00:13   Link #14
Dark

since Bandai is big into bi-monthly releases for their animes... it is going to take 2 years to finish buying GitS: SAC...
Old 2004-04-19, 10:51   Link #15
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
since Bandai is big into bi-monthly releases for their animes... it is going to take 2 years to finish buying GitS: SAC...
I think you're meaning 'every other month.' Bi-monthly would imply 2 DVD release a month... A somewhat insane pace.

Quote:
What's not to like? I get my anime at a price cheaper than it would cost me to import it, with more episodes per disc and in multiple languages.

Quote:
I don't know, I personally find the Trigun and Kenshin dubs some of the best. The voice actor for the English Vash was perfect, he sounded perfect for the role. The Kenshin dub... let's just say I couldn't get used to the effeminate Kenshin from the Japanese dialogue version.

Last edited by Mr_Paper; 2004-04-19 at 11:08.
Old 2004-04-19, 11:00   Link #16
hentai_wolf
Vivisectionist VI

Actually, bimonthly can mean every 2 months as well (in fact that's the more common usage).
Old 2004-05-04, 23:16   Link #17
babbito2k
annoying white bat

"Semi-monthly" means "twice a month." "Bi-weekly" means "26 times a year." "Bi-monthly" means "six times a year."
Closed Thread