AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-10, 08:54   Link #101
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
. . . Just a few things I'm wondering about though. Being earthquake-prone as it is, isn't Japan supposed to have some sort of early detection system? . . .
There really isn't any such thing as an early detection system for earthquakes, unlike for volcanic eruptions or tsunamis. People are still trying to find reliable precursors to predict them, and still failing as of the moment.

Speaking of tsunamis, I wonder if we'll be seeing one in episode 2?
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 09:12   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wow.......... (edit: first episode was even better than advertised. some amazing attention to detail. nice set up and exposition of the characters before everything hits the fan)

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-07-10 at 11:31.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 11:07   Link #103
cf18
Mecha Pilot

My only complain is the strange OP - it paints the three characters enjoying some relaxed trip of sight seeing in a disaster zone.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 11:20   Link #104
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wow..........
<_< Don't be alarmed. It's just Traece. I know, I know... My presence brings much splendor, but no harm will come to you or anyone else.

I read the description for this one, and here was my immediate thought:
Disaster Report: The Game: The Anime
Anyone else sort of get that impression? But no, despite that it should prove to be interesting and I'll have to pick it up and see what it's like.

Also, as far as an Earthquake Detection System goes, although there are stations for monitoring tremors and such all over the globe those sorts of readings aren't even close to being well in advance. Think of it like predicting the weather, except the weather is underground. Yeah, pretty freaky eh? :P We can barely predict what the weather will be like, even if we can see it.
Now earthquake protection is a different story entirely, and quite a fascinating one. As far as small building go, to my knowledge protection from earthquakes generally relies on how sturdy the structure is, since it's so small. Skyscrapers however, are actually made with systems to allow it to move during an earthquake. So if you're ever in the vicinity of an earthquake and you see skyscrapers moving from side to side, it's because they are moving on their own with the earthquake to prevent collapse or tipping.

Last edited by Traece; 2009-07-10 at 11:28. Reason: Use Protection. ... On your buildings.
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 12:26   Link #105
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
My favourite scene was, of course, the earthquake at the end I loved seeing the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleng View Post
Awesome work yet again Bones. Man those Cityscape were done beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wow.......... (edit: first episode was even better than advertised. some amazing attention to detail. nice set up and exposition of the characters before everything hits the fan)
  1. 13:50 - 13:56 static with some 3D
  2. 13:59 - 14:10 repeat of above exact same animation
  3. 14:10 - 14:18 3D bridge; no textures? looks like modeling in Google SketchUp
  4. 14:20 - 14:25 fish-eye pan on a static
  5. 14:32 - 14:34 pan on simple repetitive shape
  6. 14:49 - 14:52 pan on static: round robo expo building
  7. 19:38 - 19:44 pan on static: mini statue of liberty and bridge
  8. 20:10 - 20:15 reverse pan of the above zoomed, less the statue
  9. 20:18 - 20:19 copy/paste cloned birds flying (foot of statue)
  10. 20:19 - 20:20 copy/paste cloned birds flying (top of statue)
  11. 20:21 - 20:23 pan/shake on static
  12. 20:34 - 20:37 restaurant collapse
  13. 20:37 - 20:39 sidewalk shaking (2 overlapping statics)
  14. 20:39 - 20:41 classic 3D windows braking; top/down pan on round building
  15. 20:41 - 20:45 repeat of 20:37 with different character animation
  16. 20:45 - 20:48 3D bridge (se above) distortion/morph
  17. 20:51 - 20:54
    • static background partially textured blocks for buildings in background
    • pasted in unbleanded animated breaking sidewalk and bridge
    • pasted over sidewalks are cracking animation
    • sidewalk is in its own layer and composed of a top and bottom; both are distorted slightly to simulate the falling down movement
    • all but the background have aplied a shaking motion
    • yes only the animated bits break around 85% of the picture don't even nudge; these include tiles, other similar visible structures etc.
  18. 20:54 - 20:59 similar to 20:37
  19. 20:59 - 21:04
    • rain of debris (lineart with or with out a fill to represent glass and rocks? have to wonder what those buildings are made of)
    • animation on debris is jerky and short; repeats 4 times
    • two statics, one is moving side to side and shaking, on is of the building and simply moving down
    • glass break animation; its 1 frame, overlap of some lineart glass break and some white fill
    • short smoke animation at the end of the sequence
  20. 21:04 - 21:10
    • static smoke (ya rly!) moving right to left
    • shaking of static with character animation;
    • character animation consists of a few frames with very long pause between the key frames
    • zoom of entire frame

Total time spent on eye candy: 83s or 1minute 23seconds. Out of this, 65s of pans, 19s of things with animation and 34s of scenes with 3D fun.

The point is that the disaster scenes and city scape scenes are zero compared to the production value of the indoor scenes and character animation in the in-house scenes so stop hyping up and going with the flow since there's nothing praise worthy there unless you enjoy sideshows.
Old 2009-07-10, 13:03   Link #106
aulzon

Great buildup towards the end. Ahh, can't wait til the next episode.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 13:43   Link #107
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
...[wonderful detailed list of outdoor backgrounds].... The point is that the disaster scenes and city scape scenes are zero compared to the production value of the indoor scenes and character animation in the in-house scenes so stop hyping up and going with the flow since there's nothing praise worthy there unless you enjoy sideshows.
Thanks very much for the detailed look at this. It really helped me to see. However, technical difficulty does not equal artistic excellence. In fact, if they are able to work this magic without breaking the bank, they deserve even more credit.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-07-10 at 15:22.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 13:53   Link #108
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Wow, I'm really pleasantly suprised. I like how they allowed us to have a feel for the characters before everything happened, and there's something about the girl, I forget her name, but I feel like I can relate to her, her mannerisms and thoughts are realistic, but it makes her a sympathetic character. Not in the feel sorry for sense, but in a more relateable way. Her cell phone use, mocking of her mom (which was hilarious imo), and her mannerisms feel real to me. And I'm in her age group (or was recently in middle school, well...maybe not sooo recently), so I think I would know what I'm talking about here. I'm definately looking forward to the next episode. And on Cat's oh so cheerful response, I feel that the characterization is good enough to overlook whatever animation flaws it has, because usually if the conversation is mundane, I'll notice the pan and scan shots easily, but I was too drawn into the story and the characters to notice it. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 may not be heaven's godsend anime of the century, but I feel it has a lot of potential, and is worth giving a try.
Old 2009-07-10, 13:53   Link #109
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Kaoru Chujo, I'm inclined to say they gave the midas touch to the first few scenes which are likely from the next episode. So really, the good stuff is yet to come, no need to blow hot air.
Old 2009-07-10, 14:10   Link #110
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I must say I'm impressed with this. My friend got angry because the main character acts so impudent. But after I watched it, I realized that it must be a built up for the next few episodes.

I hope her brother survived though...

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 14:18   Link #111
typhonsentra

I'm definitely enjoying the show so far, but it's not what I was expecting it to be (I was expecting a large ensemble show but instead it's about a single young girl). I also dislike how she keeps repeating her thoughts for the audience over and over. We'd get the idea that she's bored and disappointed with her life and future prospects even without her constant reminders. Besides that though, I enjoyed that they took their time to introduce us to her and her world before the impact to give depth to how it's going to change her life from here on out, good restraint on the director's part.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 14:55   Link #112
kaevne

I'm very surprised at how enjoyable the first episode was. Did a really good job of realistically portraying normal/slightly dysfunctional family life.
kaevne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 15:23   Link #113
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, what can i say ... not much i suppose, because the episode nearly bored me to tears While there is obviously the need to introduce some characters through whom the catastrophe will be explored, but i really couldn't stomach just how flat out tedious the atmosphere felt. I suppose they wanted a reflection of the life as felt by our female protagonist, but i honestly can't think of a more boring way at the moment than to spend 20 minutes following around a bratty teenager and her dissatisfaction with everything around her. I mean ... i came for the earthquake, but ended up with a disgruntled teenager. Realistic as it might be for her age, it lasted for way too long to keep my interest going.

Animation and design wise this series has very little to brag about either - it looks unimpressive for the most part, save for some specific moments. Character designs are very minimalistic and generally gives gives off a "low key" vibe. That is to say, this show was not much to look at either - there were scenes that looked genuinely nice (like the bridge), but generally very little to write home about. It gets the job done for the mood of the show, but nothing really impressive.

Overall ...i dunno, if asked to summarize my thoughts on the episode in one word, i would say "boring". I guess i was expecting something else for the show that was supposed to be about an earthquake. I mean, yes - we are getting there, but i can't say these 20 minutes did anything to raise my interest in the premise. I was waiting for an earthquake before the first episode, and i still am. Lets see what the next episode does once we actually get there, but this one did very little for me personally.
Old 2009-07-10, 15:25   Link #114
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Boring huh. . well, this one surely representated that. But at least, it can conveys well at how the main character was feeling (boredom) at the time the episode airs. Then makes us as the watcher to feel exactly the same feeling as her, lol.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 15:31   Link #115
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I never disputed the realism of it, as it did a fairly credible portrayal of a rebellious child her age, and a "out of touch" family. Just that ...this was not what i really expected (nor wanted, after seeing it) from the show - for a show about an earthquake there was a distinct lack of said earthquake, and an overdose of a tedious teenage girl, and i can't say the later aspect is going to make me appreciate the former any more when it actually hits. (I was lured in by false advertising!). Yes, you probably need a character to place on the stage, but for me personally there was nothing about the episode that would make me want to see more of her. Or of the show, for that matter, but heh - i suppose the next episode will make or break the show for me ... if i actually summon the will to watch it that is
Old 2009-07-10, 16:02   Link #116
bbee

Ofcourse you need characters for the stage. What false advertising? Because the show is called Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, you expected all the episodes to show buildings shaking and falling apart? What did you expect to see from a movie called "American Pie"?
And the girl is not just a "bratty teenager". There is depth to her character; sure she rebels a little but the way she cares for her brother and how she is ashamed of the biker girl, is very telling. There is depth there, you just don't see it. What type of character would you have wanted to focus on, who would not have been "tedious"?

If you're not into the slice-of-life thing that's fine, but arguing that a show should not have characters.. That's absurd. Well, the next episodes will probably have a different tone due to the catastrophe, but I for one hope they manage to keep the familiarity of the slice-of-life feel between the characters. They have pulled it off perfectly, the animation is great and adds to the feel, and the whole thing is very enjoyable.
bbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 16:14   Link #117
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You don't get it, its not that it should not have characters but as Sky pointed out this intro was too tedious and all explaining. We don't really need it to be this detailed as it spoils future "remember when..." moments. What would you rather have: a) re-runs of scenes you saw b) flashbacks to scenes you did not know. With so much depth even if they don't show scenes we've seen, as far as her family life and such not a lot can be put forth to surprise us with; I'd rather they rushed it and we got b) instead.

For a show promising tension and exciting scenes, it sure was very slow with its first episode.
Old 2009-07-10, 16:19   Link #118
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would prefer for yo to not put words in my mouth, thank you. First of, on her being a bratty teenager - she is one, that is not debatable. This doesn't exclude depth like you seem to be assuming, and i never once implied she doesn't have it. I said i find her tedious to follow, and that has nothing to do with depth or lack of it, but me simply not caring about what her character is about. (Which is a bratty teenager).

Once again, i never stated the show shouldn't have characters - i said the ones we have presented i find uninspiring and they fail to raise my appreciation of the show, nor do i get excited about the prospects of her being the characters whose viewpoint the show will revolve around. This has nothing to do with slice of life or not (which is a genre i have nothing against and gladly watch shows of), but a simple issue of characterization i don't find appealing. This is potentially liable to change with time, nor are my preferences speaking for other people as there is nothing wrong with finding such a character or the mood that comes with her interesting, but for me personally this was about as flat out boring as possible.

This sentence of Cats summed up my feelings on the episode quite well:
Quote:
For a show promising tension and exciting scenes, it sure was very slow with its first episode.
Old 2009-07-10, 16:24   Link #119
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You did say,
Quote:
While there is obviously the need to introduce some characters through whom the catastrophe will be explored, but i really couldn't stomach just how flat out tedious the atmosphere felt.
Also I said "pointed out", do not perceive it as me reiterating what you said, since I would not do something as pointless as that. That sentence was the only thing I was referring to.
Old 2009-07-10, 16:38   Link #120
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I never disputed the realism of it, as it did a fairly credible portrayal of a rebellious child her age, and a "out of touch" family. Just that ...this was not what i really expected (nor wanted, after seeing it) from the show - for a show about an earthquake there was a distinct lack of said earthquake, and an overdose of a tedious teenage girl, and i can't say the later aspect is going to make me appreciate the former any more when it actually hits. (I was lured in by false advertising!). Yes, you probably need a character to place on the stage, but for me personally there was nothing about the episode that would make me want to see more of her. Or of the show, for that matter, but heh - i suppose the next episode will make or break the show for me ... if i actually summon the will to watch it that is
I totally disagree.

The show came up with exactly what I expected to see. I don't know what you were expecting... Care to explain in detail?

I think when you get something that is supposed to be about an earthquake, it is the people in it that matters, not the earthquake itself. We are trying to explore the minds of the distressed victims. I think that a person going to see this should ask themselves how they would feel and react in such a situation. Here we are given a VERY realistic depiction of an andolescent girl's life, and there already was an incredible about of character development in just one episode. This way, the viewer can somehow relate to her or the family's situation in life and say "Hey, I had thoughts like this at that age." The only difference is that many or most of us haven't had our lives just flip upside down like we are about to see in the future episodes.

I was actually worried coming into this episode that they'd just jump into the earthquake scene without any lead up or development. I found it anything but boring...

Quote:
You don't get it, its not that it should not have characters but as Sky pointed out this intro was too tedious and all explaining. We don't really need it to be this detailed as it spoils future "remember when..." moments. What would you rather have: a) re-runs of scenes you saw b) flashbacks to scenes you did not know. With so much depth even if they don't show scenes we've seen, as far as her family life and such not a lot can be put forth to surprise us with; I'd rather they rushed it and we got b) instead.
How does it spoil future flashbacks? The flashbacks would probably not be about this episode... It would most likely further detail the life she had before the earthquake. It doesn't ruin the development at all, because there are so many things they haven't even touched on in her life. Also, we haven't even met all the characters and have had them developed at all in this show...

=====

Anyway, I really enjoyed this first episode. Honestly, I'm willing to say that this was defintely the best first episode of any anime this season. Only real negative criticisms I have are that the OP and ED are not very good (And feel out of place).

I thoroughly enjoyed the more serious nature of this anime. It's a shame that not more anime are serious in nature. They are far too few in number.

The animation wasn't anything special, but it wasn't bad by any means. I expect a lot better visuals in future episodes.

And man, a show with actual well done character development... It's been awhile! No thanks to the anime studios churning out pure moe and girls with guns.

This is defintely a keeper for the season.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy