AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

Old 2010-10-14, 11:12   Link #921
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There's stories inbetween that show the interaction of the cast, so it's not just a conquest each episode. You'll see what i mean one you've seen the second episode.
Ok had a feeling since in most cases the first epi "sets up" what is the main purpose and then everything else falls in later.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:12   Link #922
Clarste
Human

Also, the conquests tend to form arcs rather than one a week. They start short, but get longer over the course of the series as more complications arise.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:16   Link #923
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Um... but I want there to be character development? Is that a problem? Wouldn't that make the series, you know, better? Isn't that what we're here for?
Manglobe is doing it correctly. The conversion from each chapter into screen times in anime is near perfect. Nothing was left behind so far afaik. What do you expect this series to be? Something like 3 episodes per arc? Its already good enough to have like 2-3 chapters per episode or about 1~1.5 episode per arc at the current pace now. Not too fast, not too slow... and nothing is missed so far from the manga.

Development? Development in the earlier arcs were meant for capturing only. Won't go anywhere further, coz its full stop once the soul is captured. So it fits just right to have each arc completed in about 1 episode, coz there's nothing to expect from it, except expecting how God is so awsm and alike.

I already pointed this out before, but let me point it out here again. In TWGOK, only Keima that matters, not the girl. So if anything about development like the girl's development, it should never exceed the development of Keima himself, coz this is series about an awesome god name Keima, not the oh-the-same-girl-story-again-where-the-girl-gets-all-the-credits.

Anyway its still early to judge how the pace is going to be for now. We should see first hows the pace with the first 4 girls would be, then only its right to comment then.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:21   Link #924
Clarste
Human

I wasn't complaining about what this show is, I was objecting to the idea that we'll only get an episode per character, which would be less than what the manga has. That post was part of a conversation that you seem to have taken out of context.

The anime's doing a fine job right now.
Old 2010-10-14, 11:30   Link #925
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

One episode per character is better if it means to follow the manga pace near-perfectly, than longer times per character, at the cost of sacrificing certain chapters.

To be honest, seeing this series being a 13 eps only, i already expected that Manglobe would ditched out certain chapter from the manga. Not that i didn't see that coming, but more like i really hope they won't do it, coz every chapter in the manga is worth its own screen times in the anime.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:32   Link #926
Clarste
Human

They're going at about two chapters per episode. The early character arcs take about 4 chapters each. One episode per would be cutting the content in half. It's because every chapter is worth screen time that I'd prefer they don't truncate things.
Old 2010-10-14, 12:21   Link #927
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

This is why I prefer to follow source material if it's possible, there's no garuntee the adaptation will cover everything even if it's worth it to do so. ^^;
Old 2010-10-14, 12:28   Link #928
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
keep in mind I refer to these "introductionary" girls, or the beginner girls

But it's set that way (no develpment) from the start, ja. I'd like to get attached to these girls too, but like Ayumi in episode 01 she went back to the way she was before she met Keima. Reset her involvement with him, and reset practically all we saw about her in ep 01. Basically we're like Keima too. We get attached to these girls then once the loose soul/weiss/floating plasma leaves them we pretend it was all a dream
I think we should wait for more until we draw such conclusion. I take it you didn't follow source material?
Old 2010-10-14, 12:32   Link #929
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Just watched epi 1, very cute and funny. Keima does look like a chibi Austin Powers and for obvious reasons I keep thinking Ill hear FukuJun from him but Im glad Im not. Elci (Elsee?) is cute, I like her skull tracking head thing.

Im sure this has been answered but Ive already gone back 10 pages is this gonna be a loose soul of the week thing? Not that I mind but given how epi 1 went I can see a theme developing.
It is largely a "loose soul of the week" series, although as mentioned, the definition of "week" is loose at best. You also have tangential stories like the first half of episode 2 between individual capture arcs, and it eventually develops an overarc, but "loose soul of the week" is the SOP.

As for those worried about character development, don't. The story necessarily centers around Keima and Elsie, and the captured girls do lose their memories, but they don't exactly drop off the face of the Earth. The author has created a persistent, complex world, and everyone has their place in it. We are still very much in the "simple", introductory portion of the story, where the author himself was getting acclimated to his creation...
Old 2010-10-14, 13:35   Link #930
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Geez, already five pages to catch up with. Will read them later when I have time.... maybe...

A rich twintailed blond tsundere appears! Or so I thought. Should I be worried that my thought pattern is exactly the same as Keima? The end of the episode took me by surprise, which is a good thing. The rest of the episode was very enternaining. Clumsy character like Elsy (is there an official romanization? In this thread alone I've seen her name written as LC, Elsie, Elcy, Elsee, etc...) are usually not my type, but her extraordinary cuteness makes up for it. I've warmed up to Keima as well, and I must say I share his views on little sisters (non-blood related little sister = crap). Looking forward to more of his enlightened insights.

The ED is very nice. Did Shiroth make it?
Old 2010-10-14, 13:45   Link #931
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The ED is very nice. Did Shiroth make it?
:3

Tomomi Mochizuki is behind the storyboard for the ED, which totally explains why it's the way it is.
Old 2010-10-14, 14:00   Link #932
Hagges01
Special UFO Hunter

in fact the first two episodes were pretty good, very close to the original work, I love that
now I need the next one DX
Old 2010-10-14, 14:04   Link #933
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
(is there an official romanization? In this thread alone I've seen her name written as LC, Elsie, Elcy, Elsee, etc...)
Her character CD says "Elsie". As this is an official release, that spelling holds the most water.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 14:06   Link #934
BanditKing

Quote:
(is there an official romanization? In this thread alone I've seen her name written as LC, Elsie, Elcy, Elsee, etc...)
I want to ask this as well.Can't find anything in the anime website.The only official spelling that I seen is the manga volume 1 (third chapter) had her name as Elsea.
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 14:24   Link #935
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

As long as it's not "Erushi" as I've seen it spelled, I'll take any spelling.

And really, whatever's left on the cutting room floor is not of any concern anymore. I think Keima's person is all there; the BMW section was wonderfully over-the-top, and that was my biggest worry; it's even got a poetic-like recital, which I actually missed the first time around, and is way better off being animated.

Heck, other than a few storyboard changes, it was almost panel-for-panel to the source.
Elsie in motion is more adorable, and Keima's eccentric attitude is dialed to 11 (maybe 10, but still). And really, those detail changes are more than fine; I've said it before, it'd be boring to "re-read" something exactly the same. Elsie not knowing what a lawyer was pretty amusing.

And surprising. I thought she came from Hell, shouldn't there be a lot of those?

/semi-rant
KROMEangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 15:03   Link #936
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROMEangel View Post
Elsie not knowing what a lawyer was pretty amusing.

And surprising. I thought she came from Hell, shouldn't there be a lot of those?

/semi-rant
Don't forget there are a lot of propagandists and historical revisionists there, too...
Old 2010-10-14, 15:13   Link #937
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I knew Yuuki Aoi was supposed to be in this episode, but kept waiting until the end without being sure I'd heard her -- and then saw her name in the credits playing Mio. It's clear now that I listen to it again, but I even heard hints of Koshimizu Ami there.
Funny, I had no idea she was going to be in this episode yet I recognized her right away~ the voice she used reminded a lot of her Mina voice. I don't hear any hints of Koshimizu (at all), but that's just me. Jack of all trades and master of none? I guess you could say that, although for me she's on the verge of becoming a master of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Her voice isn't the most unique but there's some sort of subtle quality to it that shows through in all her roles which I find irresistible. This one's no exception. ^^
I agree. I find her voice to be very pleasing to the ears, it has some kind of soothing quality to it. I can't wait for Hana-saku Iroha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
That was actually a pun (it was the same as the title of that episode segment). The line was "akumademo imouto desu." "Akumademo" can mean "through and through" whereas "akuma demo" means "even if (I'm) a demon." Hence the line could be interpreted as "I'm his little sister through and through" (in response to the guy asking, "Are you sure you two are related?") or you could interpret it as "Even if I'm a demon, I'm his little sister."
She said she had an older sister, but she forgot to mention her brother was Sebastian Michaelis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Her character CD says "Elsie". As this is an official release, that spelling holds the most water.
Thank you. I'll use this spelling from now on.
Old 2010-10-14, 15:17   Link #938
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Ahh, I'm kinda late. Great episode, I seriously think Elsie's cuteness is even better in anime, she's really one hell of a girl. Agree with Keima, without BMW a little sister is not little sister enough, and thus step-sister/like a sister doesn't count (although I respond to it a bit differently). I liked the pacing so far, they already plan for season 2 right? So at least it won't be abandoned and end with anime-original ending, but slowly and surely continued like Hayate no Gotoku.

Btw, because I don't want to consider the possibility of oh-so-cute Elsie breaking up other people's marriage, I came up with a solution. There has been many comparisons of Keima with Austin Powers, but what if he looks exactly like his Dad? That is, he's the son of Austin Powers himself. I mean, really, those "international trips" are so obviously spying in foreign country and being Austin Powers with all his Mojo does explain why he's not too surprised for having an illegitimate child. It's been years but I remember vaguely that Austin did hook up with a Japanese twins. I'm only halfway through the manga though, so I won't know if this theory will be totally broken someday should they ever show who Keima's Dad really is (which 99.99...9% will not be Austin Powers)
Old 2010-10-14, 15:31   Link #939
pampz21
ShipCore

I got three words for you!

"Oh Yeah! Baby~"

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 17:37   Link #940
kobun

WTF is this op, I didnt know it was in english... this is the worst op since the rideback op... please for godsake japanese people dont sing songs in english....
kobun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen