AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

View Poll Results: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT - Episode 12 (End) Rating
Perfect 10 30 28.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 36.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 14.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.49%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 7.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.83%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-28, 21:24   Link #41
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Most 'useless harem leads' we see are at least able to 'man up' when it really matters, but when Kodaka was put on the spot he folded (because he isn't inherently a 'protagonist' type character, as he himself pointed out), leading some to question why he 'deserves' to have the attention of these girls.
That's what makes the Rika x Kodaka scene much more special. He wish he could just make everything better and give everyone their happiness by with the typical harem lead charm, but real life is not that simple, especially when dealing with girls' emotions.

It's why I was never hard on him like some were. It's not that he was a jerk, its just that he simply didn't know what to do, he's never been in this situation before, especially when its threatening the one thing he's finally gotten after years of wanting.
Old 2013-03-28, 21:25   Link #42
l.kostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Vol. 9, coming out next week...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP

Release Date: April 25, 2013

I don't see an episode 13 (OVA) scheduled with the last BD (Release Date
late Aug-2013) like the first season:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...%24pagecnt%3D1
Old 2013-03-28, 21:25   Link #43
Phantom

Quote:
Vol. 9, coming out next week...

As far as the episode goes (since I know the story long time ago...)
1. It does feel a little bit rush IMO.
2. As for those complaining about it being open-ended...that's what happen when the anime catch up to the latest LN volume (Including Haganai Connect)
3. So, will it be Niku route? Will see in a week...
4. Or will Rika continue her streak? Of course, they're already in friend-zone...
5. Or will he go harem route, Seitokai include?
5a. Sad that Amakusa Hidaka wasn't able to drag Kodaka into Seitokai, no Seitokai Yakuindomo S2...
6. For Kodaka v. Rika...they sure this is not the pre-season episode of Railgun?
7. And Season 3 / OVA is almost a given...it's just a question of "When" especially with the LN being released at a turtle pace...
8. Last note on Rika...she's mine. I claim her before the Season start and now face tons of competitions...
9. 理科ちゃんマジ天使。理科ちゃんマジ天使。理科ちゃんマジ天使。
10. Last note, Fukuen Misato is just good...from Universe in S1 to going all over the place in S2. Another reason why Rika = THE true end.
Just saying, the translators aren't exactly translating these days probably because they have a lot of work to do in other parts of their lives.
My point is, how long do you think it's going to take them to translate an entire volume when it comes out? (Hopefully, not long.)
Old 2013-03-28, 21:30   Link #44
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
4. Or will Rika continue her streak? Of course, they're already in friend-zone...
Although I would prefer a Harem end, I don't think Rika being in the friend-zone is actually a bad thing here.

In fact, because she is the closest to him being his closest friend, and he does find her attractive, this might have just put her ahead in the race. Especially if they continue to bond. Here, being a good friend might get you a first class ticket to Kodaka's heart.
Old 2013-03-28, 21:32   Link #45
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
I just wonder how much this development helps cement an eventual Yozora end, since Yozora is clearly so much more needy than any of the other girls. It sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Another thing about Haganai that bugs me is how the author really went out of his way to play up the 'useless harem lead' trope, where Kodaka literally has nothing going for him other than the fact that he's nice, while all of the girls are fantastically exceptional in one way or another (or in nearly every way, when it comes to Sena and the student council girls.) I think this might be part of the Kodaka hate. Most 'useless harem leads' we see are at least able to 'man up' when it really matters, but when Kodaka was put on the spot he folded (because he isn't inherently a 'protagonist' type character, as he himself pointed out), leading some to question why he 'deserves' to have the attention of these girls.
yep this also bugs me, the way of "magically girls" get atracted to guys like him, who just because their was nice only one time or because she see him(ok love at first sight sometimes is good but 100% not) or because he accidentally touched/sexual harassment(boobs, pants) she fall in love with him, this disturb me very hard.
Old 2013-03-28, 21:44   Link #46
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
yep this also bugs me, the way of "magically girls" get atracted to guys like him, who just because their was nice only one time or because she see him(ok love at first sight sometimes is good but 100% not) or because he accidentally touched/sexual harassment(boobs, pants) she fall in love with him, this disturb me very hard.
It's the appeal, you have to look at the target audience which is usually Japanese otaku who don't exactly go out and be social, probably pretty reserved and quiet/shy. So the harem genre usually relates to this usually giving you quiet and somewhat of a outcast MC who's probably not very popular, yet attracts these girls based on almost doing nothing other than being nice.

With Kodaka though, he kinda has special cases that excludes him from this. While he can be also pretty reserved, if you actually come and speak to him, he's a very easy-going and sociable guy. Even Yusa comments how he's a pretty decent guy who's willing to help anyone. When you factor in that you are dealing with pretty socially broken females in this story, taking the time to hang out with them and help them with stuff goes a long way. Kodaka apparently not being ugly and fairly attractive with the "bad boy" look helps too. I'd bet he even attracts some of the regular girls at the school, but people tend to stay way from the "bad-boys" since they are said to be no good. And since we know Kobato is pretty popular and considered a cutie by many, its probably not a stretch to say Kodaka is eye candy to the girls
Old 2013-03-28, 21:54   Link #47
Alhazred

Ultimately, i think the author is getting a bit meta with the trope. Kodaka is his primary mouthpiece (since the LN is written in first person) and Kodaka himself comments a few times on how 'miraculous' it is that he coincidentally got involved with all of these amazing girls. I would have liked it better if the girls were a little bit less in the 'unreachable' realm, but i guess Kodaka's 'mere mortal' status in the face of that does make his struggle more iconic.

Yusa's comment about Kodaka's character was slightly off the mark, since Kodaka was also at the time running from his own troubles so his helping her wasn't entirely altruistic; you could see it in the guilty look on his face.

Hmm... i guess Kodaka also subverts the 'useless harem lead' trope a little bit, because he is keenly aware of how fragile his position is at all times - and that's what paralyses him, rather than density or indecision. Who'd have though that being able to read people really well would be a weakness?
Old 2013-03-28, 22:04   Link #48
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

But to be fair, are the girls really that unreachable? In other words, these girls are far from perfect, and are social outcast for a reason. Yea they might look attractive, but other than that, these are pretty lonely people, so Kodaka is around people who probably deserve to be around him compared to just hitting the jackpot and having a beautiful saint want his babies.
Old 2013-03-28, 22:16   Link #49
Grahf616
High Saint of Asakuraism
*Author

Quick question, the author of this series, Yomi Hirasaka, is a woman, correct?

As for the episode itself, it doesn't seem like an ending, mostly because it isn't. I think that the argument on the roof could have gone further and done more, but I still enjoyed it overall.
Old 2013-03-28, 22:17   Link #50
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
But to be fair, are the girls really that unreachable? In other words, these girls are far from perfect, and are social outcast for a reason. Yea they might look attractive, but other than that, these are pretty lonely people, so Kodaka is around people who probably deserve to be around him compared to just hitting the jackpot and having a beautiful saint want his babies.
Well, it's been implied that Aoi and Hinata would fill that role if he so desired; he even used the word 'saint' when describing them.

But no, the Neighbors Club girls aren't perfect, though they do somewhat have the 'single tragic flaw' design, the better to fit the 'single redeeming quality' mold that most harem MCs are pressed from. It's just that their tragic flaws make them waaaay more miserable than, say, the average tsundere character.
Old 2013-03-28, 22:22   Link #51
AzureWrath

Haganai takes the best anime of the season for me. Much superior to season one (especially the art direction). This episode was as good of an ending as you can get considering how close it ended to the novel's current progression. I tip my hat to the scenes that the anime did decide to animate and was positively glued to the show for the episodes that went past the current English translations left off.

Anyway, for this episode, I'll leave some notes.
- Did they touch up the OP? There seemed to be a few extra SFX and effects in it.
- It is harder to have empathy for Kodaka when you don't get his inner monologue in the anime. I know the argument is that an anime should be able to stand on its own two legs, but I do feel Kodaka got the short end in the anime compared to the novels when I see all the accusations of coward or weak protagonist come in.
- My god, Aoi is so cute @_@.
Spoiler for Cute Aoi-chan:

- Hinata made a great entrance. I haven't looked it up, but is her seriyuu the same as Medaka from Medaka Box? Her use of kisama, omae, and temae makes her seem like a badass. Also, I think I also fell for her like Kodaka
- I'm sure this will come up, so time to preemptively strike!
Spoiler for Ecchi sketchy wan touchy~~~:

- Yukimura wears that boys uniform well along with Kodaka. I think this is one of the first times we see them both in their normal uniforms. Actually, I think this is one of the few times we ever see the normal uniform
- In an episode full of one liners (I originally screenshoted a lot of them to spam pictures), I think Yukimura actually had the best one in the episode.
Spoiler for Said like a real man:

- Yukimura was so cute after Kodaka complimented her. Though she went straight ecchi after it xD. I must say that this scene also shows that Yukimura has progressed and fully acknowledges that she is a girl now....though her dream of being a man hasn't changed.

- Rika makes a grand appearance and steals the show (story of the season)
Spoiler for Final boss Rika:

- Usagi Rika using OPOP powers reminds me of Mondai-ji's bunny girl this season .
- Da battle scene. So many one liners. Kodaka also taking some manly hits. I'm sure you can actually make a short battle manga with panels and epic poses/one liners for each of those panels (was going to do it, got halfway done, then got too lazy to edit it together).
- Rika the prophet does not approve of Kodaka's main character ways
Spoiler for Meta level Rika:

- I have to include one of the one liners from Kodaka too. It's Sugisaki Ken V2!
Spoiler for I want to be a harem master too!:

- Finally, Kodaka makes some progress towards another person. He is finally letting one of his walls drop for Rika and admits that he has friends. Much different from the last time Rika met with Kodaka on the roof.

Well, that's about it for my thoughts. I liked the open ending that we got. We still have a conflict to conclude (friendship and Sena's proposal) and Yozora running away. Leaves room for more to come. The Sora ---> Rika imagery caught me off guard too. It wasn't something I expected at all. Plus, I think they went full derp on Rika's eyes in the ending xD
Spoiler for Significant pictures of birds:

Anyway, hope to see more of Haganai to come!
Old 2013-03-28, 22:30   Link #52
ellessarr
Banned

another question still bugging me.

where are the others guys on this school? why clubs full of girls, why a stundent concil full of girls??? this a only school???, sometimes looks like kodaka is the only guy on the school.

again like i said i dont see all that " nice and perfect guy" who some peoples try to portrait him for me he still being a coward, for what he did liek the old dictation:
"The end does not justify the way" if him dont want to lose his comfort zone or dont want hurt the girls, runing aways no matter of yours "try to justify" is not the right choice(in both fiction and real life) was proved who he only hurts more the girls with ths patetic reaction, dont matter if their are weirds or normal friends, their already being friends, then the girls have the right to take the right aproach, trying to praise for what he done is the same of say who the answer to everything is just "run".
Old 2013-03-28, 22:34   Link #53
sarofski

So does this "Yozora going on a journey" really happens in the LN, or it's anime original?
Old 2013-03-28, 22:37   Link #54
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarofski View Post
So does this "Yozora going on a journey" really happens in the LN, or it's anime original?
Not sure since I don't read the novel, but apparently the author of the novel was heavily involved with the anime this season, so it must be something he approved or even intends to do.
Old 2013-03-28, 22:40   Link #55
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarofski View Post
It happens in the LN too.
Old 2013-03-28, 22:44   Link #56
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
It's inarguable that either a 3rd season or OVA will be coming.
Nothing's wrapped up and the ending of S2 is probably the most open ending i have yet to witness to a series that does (??) incredibly well in sales.

Although my presuspicions have been shattered, now knowing that the anime actually caught up to the LN....

That said: To everybody who's interested in the LN, the translations are nowhere near Vol 8 as of yet...

I suggest reading/watching Toaru Majutsu no Index, which is done (atleast for the previous LN series, which spanned 22 volumes. Apparently there is a sequel or whatever that's already at 6, so 28 volumes so far :O)

Should keep most of you busy til some new translations for Haganai come out ;P

EDIT: This series deserves a motherfuckin Rika end. She had the most development judging from the Anime at least + she is the one on best terms with Kodaka..
Old 2013-03-28, 22:54   Link #57
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post

EDIT: This series deserves a motherfuckin Rika end. She had the most development judging from the Anime at least + she is the one on best terms with Kodaka..
Unfortunately, unless the author was paying attention to Shuffle!, looks like it will be forced to come down to either Yozora or Sena. Though a harem end would be nice...they most don't have the balls to pull it.
Old 2013-03-28, 23:06   Link #58
mikoo
Banned

Note to myself: Don't watch unfinished LN adaptation anime.
Old 2013-03-28, 23:08   Link #59
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Here's a crazy thought, how about an ending where Kodaka ends up in a relationship with none of the girls?
Old 2013-03-28, 23:11   Link #60
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath View Post
Plus, I think they went full derp on Rika's eyes in the ending xD
Buy the Blu-rays!

They fixed things like that in the first volume.
Closed Thread