AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-01-15, 22:08   Link #261
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe when it comes time to do post-third Trilogy films you will get that action.
Old 2013-01-24, 18:39   Link #262
Xion Valkyrie

So it looks like JJ Abrams is doing the new Star Wars movies. I feel like that's too much power for 1 man.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:42   Link #263
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
So it looks like JJ Abrams is doing the new Star Wars movies. I feel like that's too much power for 1 man.
Star Wars and Star Trek? Shouldn't there be a bit... competition between the two?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:49   Link #264
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Far as I can tell, that hasn't been confirmed by Disney or Lucasfilm.
Old 2013-01-24, 21:51   Link #265
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
More like...too much burden for one man .
Old 2013-01-24, 23:15   Link #266
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

/Film is reporting that the Abrams confirmation announcement comes to us via The Wrap. They're both very reputable sites so at this point I think it's safe to say that this is what's happening. I'll admit, I'm not pleased. At all. Aside from his lens flares, over-saturated palettes, and nausea inducing hand-held camera sequences, what can he really bring to the table? When I look at his body of work the absolute last thing that comes to mind is "Star Wars."

Good for those people that like his work though. I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear this.
Old 2013-01-25, 02:57   Link #267
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Star Wars and Star Trek? Shouldn't there be a bit... competition between the two?
What's next? A Stargate reboot?

Then again, it is no different to have someone who worked in both Marvel and DC film franchises. And regardless the job is not long term; eventually someone else would takeover.
Old 2013-01-25, 07:58   Link #268
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Maybe we'll finally see an answer to the age-old question: Empire vs. Star Fleet, who will win?

Endless "Worlds are colliding Jerry!" Soul
Old 2013-01-25, 10:46   Link #269
Kudryavka

Since the Brave girl is now a Disney princess, we were wondering if Leia is now a Disney princess too.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 15:18   Link #270
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Maybe we'll finally see an answer to the age-old question: Empire vs. Star Fleet, who will win?

Endless "Worlds are colliding Jerry!" Soul
Fanboy heaven. Btw nice Seinfeld quote, still my favorite show on television (and Curb)...

Have there been any announcements on the timeline here? What is the status of the quite large expanded universe that was crafted through novels and the like?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 16:40   Link #271
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
/Film is reporting that the Abrams confirmation announcement comes to us via The Wrap. They're both very reputable sites so at this point I think it's safe to say that this is what's happening. I'll admit, I'm not pleased. At all. Aside from his lens flares, over-saturated palettes, and nausea inducing hand-held camera sequences, what can he really bring to the table? When I look at his body of work the absolute last thing that comes to mind is "Star Wars."

Good for those people that like his work though. I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear this.
Eh, the Star Trek reboot is closer to a Star Wars film than any of the prequels. If they're doing a Jedi Academy type story line then he's be a pretty good fit considering Super 8.

Pretty much all the other big names have refused or are busy with their own projects. Which other director do you think would be able to direct an epic space opera?
Old 2013-01-26, 00:15   Link #272
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Eh, the Star Trek reboot is closer to a Star Wars film than any of the prequels. If they're doing a Jedi Academy type story line then he's be a pretty good fit considering Super 8.

Pretty much all the other big names have refused or are busy with their own projects. Which other director do you think would be able to direct an epic space opera?
I'm going to preface my reply by saying that you and I will have to agree to disagree. I'm more than happy to intelligently debate Abrams suitability, but I don't think I'll ever be able to come around to approving this decision. I'm always interested in knowing what other people think so with that being said, launch debate!

Brad Bird was the industry favorite for the director's chair before Abrams was announced. Why, I have no idea. He has done great work with Pixar, granted, but I don't think he would have been right for Star Wars. I'm glad he wasn't chosen even if I don't like who they ultimately settled on.

To be perfectly honest I was really hoping that either Matthew Vaughn or Jon Favreau would take up the reins. There was considerable speculation that Star Wars VII was why Vaughn dropped out of directing X-Men: Days of Future Past. Combine Vaughn's or Favreau's directing talents with, say, Larry Kasdan as screenwriter and I would have been deliriously happy. I still hold out how that Kasdan might be somehow involved.

And if not Vaughn of Favreau then I was hoping that they might give someone new and relatively untested a go. After all, when Lucas directed Star Wars Episode IV the only other credits he had to his name were THX 1138 and American Graffiti. No one in the industry expected his little project to be nearly as successful as it was then and still is today. I would much rather that they had given someone who truly has a passion for the franchise over someone who has basically been groomed by Spielberg to turn out more of the same overly polished, CGI-laden, Hollywood popcorn.

(Insert: The only two directors would have been worse for this project (again, in my opinion) are M. Night Shyamalan and Joss Whedon )

Going back to Abrams, I really don't think he is anything more than a product of the Hollywood machine. For me, personally speaking, all of his projects lack a certain heart. His Star Trek film may have been financially successful but it wasn't Star Trek. As someone who grew up immersed in that universe (thanks to my father who was an avid Trekkie) his film didn't feel like it had anything to do with Star Trek other than the names of places, people, and things. None of his films are ever evocative or moving in my opinion. That's not to say that I don't give his films their due course. I have lined up at midnight for a number of his movies and come out each time with a definite feeling of deflated disappointment.

And what worries me more than anything else is that he might tap Michael Giacchino to do the score. I won't do the knee-jerk Internet fanboy (er, fangirl) thing and say that I'll refuse to see it if it doesn't feature a John Williams score, but I will say that it will never be a proper Star Wars film in my mind without it

Who would you have selected for the honor?
Old 2013-01-26, 00:44   Link #273
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One thing about Star Wars that has been constant through all the films, cartoons, and games is the style of presentation. (with possible exception of the Ewoks series of tv movies and cartoons) They are all generally styled around a 1930s serial presentation and the worlds look their age. If a place has been used for hundreds (if not thousands) of years, it looks worn. If it is relatively new, the floors and walls are polished.

While the stories vary a lot all over the Star Wars EU, the style framework is roughly the same, expecially in the visual presentation. Every game and film stars with the same blast of music and the Star Wars at the beginning (or something very similar in the case of the Clone Wars). They do not as a rule have any credits at the beginning is another stylistic thing.

Star Trek (2009) was in many ways styled in a Star Wars vane in terms of the surroundings and action. The storytelling however was not Star Wars (or Star Trek for that matter) in style and especially lighting. Abrams seeming obsesssion with lens flare distracts somewhat from scenes were the audiance should want to see what is on the screen (This happened about six or seven times in Star Trek), and could be a problem in Star Wars if used too heavily.
Old 2013-01-26, 02:16   Link #274
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

One thing where the Star Wars prequels were not wanting was visual presentation. Sticking with that general style would be a good idea (so I'd agree on staying away from excessive lens flare).

I'd like to see an upgrade in writing and acting though, and I think Abrams should do well enough.

To be honest, I think the screenwriter is likely to have a more decisive influence here, and that's what I'm more curious about.
Old 2013-01-26, 03:07   Link #275
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
I'm going to preface my reply by saying that you and I will have to agree to disagree. I'm more than happy to intelligently debate Abrams suitability, but I don't think I'll ever be able to come around to approving this decision. I'm always interested in knowing what other people think so with that being said, launch debate!

Brad Bird was the industry favorite for the director's chair before Abrams was announced. Why, I have no idea. He has done great work with Pixar, granted, but I don't think he would have been right for Star Wars. I'm glad he wasn't chosen even if I don't like who they ultimately settled on.

To be perfectly honest I was really hoping that either Matthew Vaughn or Jon Favreau would take up the reins. There was considerable speculation that Star Wars VII was why Vaughn dropped out of directing X-Men: Days of Future Past. Combine Vaughn's or Favreau's directing talents with, say, Larry Kasdan as screenwriter and I would have been deliriously happy. I still hold out how that Kasdan might be somehow involved.

And if not Vaughn of Favreau then I was hoping that they might give someone new and relatively untested a go. After all, when Lucas directed Star Wars Episode IV the only other credits he had to his name were THX 1138 and American Graffiti. No one in the industry expected his little project to be nearly as successful as it was then and still is today. I would much rather that they had given someone who truly has a passion for the franchise over someone who has basically been groomed by Spielberg to turn out more of the same overly polished, CGI-laden, Hollywood popcorn.

(Insert: The only two directors would have been worse for this project (again, in my opinion) are M. Night Shyamalan and Joss Whedon )

Going back to Abrams, I really don't think he is anything more than a product of the Hollywood machine. For me, personally speaking, all of his projects lack a certain heart. His Star Trek film may have been financially successful but it wasn't Star Trek. As someone who grew up immersed in that universe (thanks to my father who was an avid Trekkie) his film didn't feel like it had anything to do with Star Trek other than the names of places, people, and things. None of his films are ever evocative or moving in my opinion. That's not to say that I don't give his films their due course. I have lined up at midnight for a number of his movies and come out each time with a definite feeling of deflated disappointment.

And what worries me more than anything else is that he might tap Michael Giacchino to do the score. I won't do the knee-jerk Internet fanboy (er, fangirl) thing and say that I'll refuse to see it if it doesn't feature a John Williams score, but I will say that it will never be a proper Star Wars film in my mind without it

With the franchise name so big and it being Disney (remember John Carter flopped hard) they definitely would not have allowed an unknown director to take the reigns. I kind of want to see how Guillermo del Toro would do it now that the trailer for Pacific Rim have been out. The level of grit would feel right at home in Star Wars (none of that super clean prequel shine). It'd have been interesting to see at least.

Anyways, the JJ Abrams isn't doing the script so as long as he tones down on the lens flares the movie could feel very close to the original trilogy.
Old 2013-01-26, 15:37   Link #276
james0246

Quote:
I won't do the knee-jerk Internet fanboy (er, fangirl) thing and say that I'll refuse to see it if it doesn't feature a John Williams score, but I will say that it will never be a proper Star Wars film in my mind without it
To be fair, Williams is 80 and really hasn't had a really good score since 2004, so his partcipation would be nice, but I would almost prefer that he simply find a worthy succseor rather than trying to create a score that would set the pace, scope and tone for the new trilogy.

Quote:
I was kind of hoping David Yates would direct at least the first new film in the trilogy. He is well acquainted with large scale blockbuster productions (having directed 4 of the Harry Potter films), but he is still a compotent visual storyteller with a decent resepect for how to utlize and blend special effects and a human cast. He, more than most directors, wouldn't get lost in the fantasy CGI worlds (unlike Cameron, Lucas, etc).

That being said, Neill Blomkamp would have been a fun choice. .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 19:22   Link #277
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I don't think we need 1 director for all 3 movies. If we look at the original trilogy, each movie had a different director.
Old 2013-01-26, 21:02   Link #278
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
To be fair, Williams is 80 and really hasn't had a really good score since 2004, so his partcipation would be nice, but I would almost prefer that he simply find a worthy succseor rather than trying to create a score that would set the pace, scope and tone for the new trilogy.
I partially agree with you concerning Williams. Yes, the maestro is quite old, but seeing as he hasn't retired yet I don't think there is any reason not to bring him on-board. As for your claim that he hasn't made a "really good score" since 2004 I absolutely have to disagree. Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)? War Horse (2011)? Lincoln (2012)? Those were all excellent. Besides, all three of those were nominated at both the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards in their respective years.

Just please, please, please no Giacchino!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I was kind of hoping David Yates would direct at least the first new film in the trilogy. He is well acquainted with large scale blockbuster productions (having directed 4 of the Harry Potter films), but he is still a compotent visual storyteller with a decent resepect for how to utlize and blend special effects and a human cast. He, more than most directors, wouldn't get lost in the fantasy CGI worlds (unlike Cameron, Lucas, etc).

That being said, Neill Blomkamp would have been a fun choice. .
I give you David Yates as a possibility but not Neill Blomkamp. As enjoyable as District 9 was as a popcorn film, it was a hot mess in terms of narration and plot. That's only to be expected though; it was his first big break so it stands to reason that he has some adjusting to do. One can't find one's voice over night, after all. I think he's a promising talent, and will be even more so when he hits his stride.

As for Yates, while he's not a bad director I wouldn't say that he's a good fit for Star Wars. Part of the reason the Harry Potter films were so good was because Rowling was right there with them every step of the way. It's hard to mess up when the author is practically holding your hand, telling you what you should/shouldn't include, how things should look, etc. That being said, Yates' Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is my favorite entry in the series. He did a masterful job with that one.

He does know how to blend practical and special effects very well, you're quite right about that. I'll admit that's one thing that worries me about these new Star Wars films. Will they be unnaturally shiny and plastic like the prequels, or will they harken back to the more realistic, practical feel of the originals? It would be nice to see a blend of the two approaches, but I don't think Abrams is up to the task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I don't think we need 1 director for all 3 movies. If we look at the original trilogy, each movie had a different director.
You're right and I agree. I would like to see a different director for each new film as well. I wonder what type of contract Abrams signed, if it was a one picture or three picture deal. Hmmmm.
Old 2013-01-27, 16:39   Link #279
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
I partially agree with you concerning Williams. Yes, the maestro is quite old, but seeing as he hasn't retired yet I don't think there is any reason not to bring him on-board. As for your claim that he hasn't made a "really good score" since 2004 I absolutely have to disagree. Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)? War Horse (2011)? Lincoln (2012)? Those were all excellent. Besides, all three of those were nominated at both the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards in their respective years.
They were good, but they were not cult soundtracks either and that's probably because previous works set the tone, meaning it's also difficult to replicate that level. Speaking of John Williams, did he ever have any pupils who became movie composers of their own?

If you asked me who'd fit the bill among the currently active composers, I'd have a go with Brian Tyler.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 21:20   Link #280
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
What's next? A Stargate reboot?
Better yet, a Babylon 5 reboot :-p
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars