AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-12, 14:04   Link #1
Kreceir

Defiance[PC/360/PS3]

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-13, 17:50   Link #2
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Played the betas. It's basically Borderlands with lots of other people, minus the humor, with a much bigger grind.

PVE shooters just don't grab much of my attention, and need some hook (ie: Borderland's humor).

The story is...meh at best. The graphics are...yea, post apocalypse ugly in both landscape and character detail (I'm convinced the only reason post apocalypse is so damn popular is because it's so easy on the graphics budget; I, for one, am so sick and tired of that setting).

The side quests, which is where you'll spend most of your time, are 90% kill baddies, disable turrets, kill baddies. Which you'll do about thousands of times ad nauseam to max your character out.

Arkfalls are....cool the first time...maybe. But, much like big events in GW 2, require zero coordination/skill/etc, and become largely "why bother" once you've killed your 900th big ugly thing.

The pvp is mediocre. Shooters are really about "pvp", and games like TF 2, or even the Battlefield franchise do it far better than Defiance. Shadowlands took a long time to pop in beta, and from what I hear, it's true in release as well. I do, however, enjoy being able to see a few seconds perspective from the person who killed you (as opposed to the far more standard perspective view of someone else on your team).

The game's audience is separated by device, which fragments the community. One might predict that if it takes a while to get a shadowlands map playing now, good luck down the road.

As per the NY Time's article on the game, the idea that Defiance was a new type of media in that the video game and tv show would influence each other is largely overblown, as it was revealed the tv show finished shooting prior to the game releasing, and the "influence" planned between the two was along the lines of who's names would be on wanted posters, etc; basically minor stuff they could CGI on the fly.

I certainly decided not to buy it. Early reviews of the first episode of the show aspect aren't too kind either.

Edit: I played the PC version. Also, the UI is consolized. Didn't even try to make a separate UI in any shape or form for the PC.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 21:50   Link #3
Kreceir

I didn't even gotten the chance to play the Beta's
I got stuck with the Patch Error's that kept going over and over.

But one of my friend had it working somehow So I tried it at his house.

My first impression on the game was''Meh'' But I thought Beta is Beta So I didn't really think that much about it.

But yes, its kinda your Generic MMO if I can be quite frank about it.

I pretty much had the familiar problems which Angry Joe also had. Which is pretty much this video.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-13, 21:53   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Yeah, I'm sorry, I may say loads and loads of wonderful things about how Trion manages RIFT, but they've got a real stinker in Defiance.

Borderlands is better, more fun, funnier, runs better and doesn't have microtransactions.
Old 2013-04-14, 00:26   Link #5
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I only had to wait 1 day and I woulda saved 60 bucks.... -_- Fuck myself.
Old 2013-04-14, 05:49   Link #6
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Borderlands is better, more fun, funnier, runs better and doesn't have microtransactions.
10 char QFT.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 23:29   Link #7
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

For those who didn't get a chance to try the game out during beta for free, it's available for free through Steam until Sunday.

I've downloaded and installed, and I still think the game itself is rather mediocre, but I enjoy the TV show in a cheesy sci-fi way, and there are a few missions in the game that do tie into the tv show for those who watch but haven't played the game. This weekend offers you the chance to experience that for free.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-17, 14:42   Link #8
TaintedDream
Translator

Defiance has been switched to f2p model, come get it free at any time.
TaintedDream is offline   Reply With Quote