AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-03-24, 18:50   Link #1461
Lost Cause

Shirley "clones"

Um I was wandering why no one has mentioned Meer Campbell from GSD as a possible "Shirley look a like?

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 18:55   Link #1462
azul120

You mean the original Lacus Clone?
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 19:12   Link #1463
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Um I was wandering why no one has mentioned Meer Campbell from GSD as a possible "Shirley look a like?
... because in both the physical appearance (both before and after her make-over into Lacus) and personality, Shirley and Meer are absolutely nothing alike?
Old 2010-03-24, 21:54   Link #1464
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Outside the long hair and the way it is styled.... Meer has nothing in common with Shirley. Shirley has a cute modesty.. Meer... ... Not so much. But they are wonderful characters.

Meer was beautiful even before her transformation... Ruhe jetzt... Meer

Disregard me. Anyways, Shirley can have alot of look-alikes or she could look-alot like such-and-such. The bottom line is, Shirley Fenette is our caramel to our treat. She is that sweetness that should've lasted much longer.

Shirley Fenette is the only orange-haired girl we need. (While on here Code Geass section, atleast.) I don't see the problem, just as Kallen is Kallen, Shirley is Shirley. If there was another character that looked like her...

Could the overall epic be the same? :3
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 22:07   Link #1465
Lost Cause

Actually the only reason I asked is because they both are rather innocents thrown into something they don't quite understand. But I see y'alls point! And I agree, Shirley is Shirley and everything else IS a poor substitute.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 22:56   Link #1466
Nobodyman9
Banned

Well, I've never GSD, so I can't comment, but I do agree with Arbitres that Shirley is Shirley and no one can replace her. Sure, it's nice to speculate about other characters that may be similar to her, but just as long as we remember that Shirley kicks butt

Oh, and if it makes you feel better LC, I was actually considering Shirley to Winry from FMA. I mean, it's definitely a stretch, but think about it. They're both characters that sort of wait on the sidelines, they've both suffered the loss of a parent(s), and not to mention...

Spoiler for FMA manga:
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 05:59   Link #1467
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Well, I've never GSD, so I can't comment, but I do agree with Arbitres that Shirley is Shirley and no one can replace her. Sure, it's nice to speculate about other characters that may be similar to her, but just as long as we remember that Shirley kicks butt

Oh, and if it makes you feel better LC, I was actually considering Shirley to Winry from FMA. I mean, it's definitely a stretch, but think about it. They're both characters that sort of wait on the sidelines, they've both suffered the loss of a parent(s), and not to mention...

Spoiler for FMA manga:

Well, if we are going to compare characters because of this or this moment similar in their BG, we'll end up with pretty awkward parallels IMO.
Winry is closer to Kallen in term of personnality and when I say that, I don't even think Kallen and Winry are similar, at all.

For Shirley and Mikuru, I'd say : UGH. Yeah please no. They are nothing alike (and it's good for Shirley)
The only one which can hold a comparaison here is Orihime and still, Orihime is more of a sweet type than Shirley is. Not that Shirley isn't sweet, but finally, aside from the look and the crush on the protagonist, they aren't this much comparable.

Though it wouldn't be a surprise if Clamp were inspired by Hime for the design. After all, most of the characters in CG seems to have their models, in past time animation/manga :/

I'd agree with the Shirley/Ran parallel, even though Ran is more of a tomboy compared to Shirley. Made of a stronger material I'd say.
Now I guess Tvtropes can help to find some dopplegagner to Shirley after all.
Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 11:26   Link #1468
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Tag team! Sup Lolipopo-san?

I don't like Mikuru in the slightest, I find her design too 'childish' for my likings. But I adore Koizumi. (He isn't even relevant here, so that's all i'll mention about him.)

Quote:
After all, most of the characters in CG seems to have their models, in past time animation/manga :/
Yes and no. Charles seemed pretty original. Well, in appearance atleast. I have to agree Schneizel and afew other bishies look like others, though. (Jin / Guilford anyone? Yeah.) I think it drew from their inspiration after seeing what they could do overall.

Anyways, that is irrelevant to this thread.

@Nobodyman: They don't look anything alike. Their actions may have been similiar, but we were comparing them to looks and physique instead of actions. They do have actions in a similiar manner, but that's it. Their personalities are like day and night.

I stick with my previous post more then anything. Shirley can look and breath like another character from another series, but unless it's in 'General anime' Shirley comes first. (General anime being a sort of even ground for all series.)

I'm not speaking for myself though, I much prefer Kallen then anything.
Old 2010-03-25, 11:53   Link #1469
Sol Falling

Well no, actually we're basically comparing either looks/physique or personality/behaviour. Preferably both, but an exact combination will be pretty rare.

On Winry's end, the 'shoot/don't shoot Scar' moment is actually a fairly interesting parallel. I'm not sure how much that scene could carry over to the rest of their personalities though, since Shirley ended up firing while Winry didn't. In both cases neither of them ended up choosing revenge, but their reasons for doing so are quite completely different.

Actually, in terms of characterization I think FMA is a whole lot more stereotypically shounen than Code Geass--making a comparision between Ed and Lelouch would be blatantly ridiculous for example, and I don't think a similar comparison of Shirley and Winry's ideals would work that well either. On the other hand though, aside from the technical expertise needed for automail maintenance, I do think Winry's constant supportive role could have been very similar to Shirley's role if she had survived. In that case then, it's just too bad that Shirley died without giving us a chance to see that.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 17:20   Link #1470
Nobodyman9
Banned

Excellent points all around. And yes Arbitres, as Sol said, I was comparing Shirley and Winry more in the aspect of their roles/experiences, rather than their physical experiences.

But I think this whole Shirley comparison debate has run into the ground. We need something new to talk about. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 2010-03-25, 18:18   Link #1471
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

...None.

Can I talk about Kallen here? :3 can I? Can I? Oh right... her thread needs something new to talk about as well ~_~

Were it up to me... things would've went this way

"Mao-encholy events*
Lelouch: I command you, forget about me being zero... and stuff! D: just forget, 'kay?
Shirley: ^^ okay! Forgetting!
Lelouch: ... ... So, have you forgotten?
Shirley: T_T no....

X) i know, I suck.

I wish Rai was an actual character, maybe he could've changed something.. Doubtful, Sunrise is known for misogyny.

I wonder if somebody has married a body pillow of Shirley yet? >8D lol
Old 2010-03-26, 02:16   Link #1472
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
...None.

Can I talk about Kallen here? :3 can I? Can I? Oh right... her thread needs something new to talk about as well ~_~
Well, you can talk about Kallen, if it somehow pertains to Shirley Actually, I always wished they had explored Kallen and Shirley's relationship in the show a bit more. You know, considering they were both in love with the same guy. Not to mention that Kallen triggered the avalanche that killed Shirley's father. I mean, we got some in season 1, but nothing in R2. But I guess it's understandable since Kallen was full-time BK at that point.

Quote:
Were it up to me... things would've went this way

"Mao-encholy events*
Lelouch: I command you, forget about me being zero... and stuff! D: just forget, 'kay?
Shirley: ^^ okay! Forgetting!
Lelouch: ... ... So, have you forgotten?
Shirley: T_T no....

X) i know, I suck.
So Lelouch's geass would just randomly not work that time, eh? Well, I hate to say it, but all in all it may have been better for Shirley to forget at that point since she was pretty much an emotional wreck. Still, I wish there could have been a better way.

Quote:
I wonder if somebody has married a body pillow of Shirley yet? >8D lol
If Japan has anything to say about it...yeah, I think so
Old 2010-03-26, 11:12   Link #1473
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Well no, actually we're basically comparing either looks/physique or personality/behaviour. Preferably both, but an exact combination will be pretty rare.

On Winry's end, the 'shoot/don't shoot Scar' moment is actually a fairly interesting parallel. I'm not sure how much that scene could carry over to the rest of their personalities though, since Shirley ended up firing while Winry didn't. In both cases neither of them ended up choosing revenge, but their reasons for doing so are quite completely different.

Actually, in terms of characterization I think FMA is a whole lot more stereotypically shounen than Code Geass--making a comparision between Ed and Lelouch would be blatantly ridiculous for example, and I don't think a similar comparison of Shirley and Winry's ideals would work that well either. On the other hand though, aside from the technical expertise needed for automail maintenance, I do think Winry's constant supportive role could have been very similar to Shirley's role if she had survived. In that case then, it's just too bad that Shirley died without giving us a chance to see that.
Beyond that, Lelouch is arguably even more solemn than Edward for rather obvious reasons. Not to mention that Winry is a bit of a tsundere, while Shirley is way too dere, and gets it even worse.

(Kind of OT, but there's a funny thing about the Ed/Lelouch comparison, btw, in that I once saw someone comparing Ed to Seto Kaiba of Yu-Gi-Oh! as part of a defense of the latter character. Which is funny for two reasons: the YGO! The Abridged Series reference, and that in spite of his past baggage, Seto Kaiba comes out of it all a massive Jerk Sue.)
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 14:25   Link #1474
Rei.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
could you really see Shirley as such a fanservicey character?
Well, Shirley did get a fair amount of fan service throughought the series. Maybe not as much as Kallen, but still.
The fact she's part of the swimming club probably played a big part. Since she's so visually attractive, I won't complain... at all

I guess we could rate Shirley something like second only to Kallen when it comes to this ... Millay shouldn't be so far away either.
What do you guys think ?
Rei.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 14:33   Link #1475
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei.K View Post
Well, Shirley did get a fair amount of fan service throughought the series. Maybe not as much as Kallen, but still.
The fact she's part of the swimming club probably played a big part. Since she's so visually attractive, I won't complain... at all

I guess we could rate Shirley something like second only to Kallen when it comes to this ... Millay shouldn't be so far away either.
What do you guys think ?
Well, I would hardly call Shirley an explicitly fanservice-y character, but she does get her fair share of it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) since she's a secondary character, she didn't get as much as she could have.

As for second to Kallen, well...I think C.C. would probably be second (if not first). Seriously, I think she's got more ass-shots than any two anime characters But third? Yeah, I think that's more likely.
Old 2010-03-26, 14:33   Link #1476
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Agreed. I think it should go like this...

1. Kallen
2. Kallen
3. Milly
3.5. Shirley
4. C.C.
5. Kaguya
6. vacant for N/A reasons
7. vacant for N/A reasons
*does this for several minutes*

59. Nina Einsten
60. Vile-etta Snu (>_> Villeta Nu*...)

Edit: That's how I think it should go on the term of most beautiful.

x3 I know, you hate me. Opinion empowered! D:

Shirley wasn't as fanservice as she could've been... Thank mantra xD

Mantra being "The only ones who should kill are those that are prepared to be killed."

Talking about that quote...

Lelouch was beaten to the 'topping Shirley thing' by none other then his best bud Spinzaku... D:

Opinions?

Last edited by Arbitres; 2010-03-26 at 14:39. Reason: Typos? :0
Old 2010-04-03, 17:17   Link #1477
ginran
~Smile~

Has there been anymore news on that ShirLulu artwork compilation btw? I'm really curious about it, but I havent seen anything since it was first announced.

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
ginran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 20:16   Link #1478
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginran View Post
Has there been anymore news on that ShirLulu artwork compilation btw? I'm really curious about it, but I havent seen anything since it was first announced.
Unfortunately no, I haven't heard any updates or seen any pics of the artbook release. Even more unfortuante is that I've heard that it may be a Japan-exclusive release. That is, they won't be selling it online and just selling the hard copies at a convention or something. If this is true it'll make it that much harder to access. But we'll see.

EDIT: Apparently the artbook already went on sale on March 21 at Haru Comic City15 in Tokyo. However, if Google translator is correct, and if I'm interpreting it right, they do plan to sell the anthology online at some point. Here's a link.

http://hidamari.mints.ne.jp/outline.htm
Old 2010-04-03, 20:39   Link #1479
ginran
~Smile~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Unfortunately no, I haven't heard any updates or seen any pics of the artbook release. Even more unfortuante is that I've heard that it may be a Japan-exclusive release. That is, they won't be selling it online and just selling the hard copies at a convention or something. If this is true it'll make it that much harder to access. But we'll see.

EDIT: Apparently the artbook already went on sale on March 21 at Haru Comic City15 in Tokyo. However, if Google translator is correct, and if I'm interpreting it right, they do plan to sell the anthology online at some point. Here's a link.

http://hidamari.mints.ne.jp/outline.htm
Wooo~~~ I really hope its released online! It looks adorable, and thats just from that little preview pic! Thanks for the update~

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
ginran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 18:38   Link #1480
Tr3adst0ne
Rogue Agent

Some of the art on the cover looks familiar... Anyone know who the artist is?
Tr3adst0ne is offline   Reply With Quote