AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-18, 22:17   Link #61
xxkathxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
After seeing the voice over promo for the next episode, I get it now -- they talk about inane things like nail clippers and melon bread as comedic relief to the sullenness and Gothic mood. I didn't get it at first but now I do, lol.
Ahh! I'm so glad that the nail clippers is not part of the next episode. I've yet to watch the 2nd episode. But I have read some of the manga. Looks interesting.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the voice actors. I like all of them.
Sakurai, FukuJun, OnoD, Mamoru, Akira Ishida, Souichiro Hoshi, Narita Ken, and even Shinichiro Miki (Roy Mustang's VA).
The only VA who is missing is SuzuKen. D: It would be perfect if he were on the cast too.

The way Souichiro Hoshi (Yuki's VA) said his lines in the 1st eipisode was like listening to the voice of "Learning Japanese" CD. lolz.
When sakurai first uttered his lines (in 1st episode), it made me melt. hahaha.
xxkathxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 10:24   Link #62
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Spoiler for Episode 2:

There's 12 volumes for the DVD, meaning it would be 2 cours. Too bad they're not releasing a BD straight off the bat despite this is produced in HD (I think everything by J.C Staff are done in HD), I guess fujoshis aren't really into high-def yet.
Old 2010-04-19, 11:06   Link #63
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
There's 12 volumes for the DVD, meaning it would be 2 cours.
That's good news if it proves true. Since the first announcement of the series, I've been concerned that 13 eps could hardly do the series justice.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 20:38   Link #64
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Episode 2 was pretty good. The reason for the bl (that she was reborn as a guy) is pretty sad, and certainly softens the bl part of the plot a bit. I wonder if the one you love was reborn as the other sex...would you still love them? It would certainly be a complicated and sad situation, I'd think. But why is she the only one born differently? (aside for bl plot set-up...)

And...which is his true name? Zess or Luka? or is Zess his nickname or something. I prefer Luka...Zess...reminds me of lemon zest or the soap Zest...

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 07:55   Link #65
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
The reason for the bl (that she was reborn as a guy) is pretty sad, and certainly softens the bl part of the plot a bit. I wonder if the one you love was reborn as the other sex...would you still love them? It would certainly be a complicated and sad situation, I'd think.
In the Buddhist philosophy, the possibility of being reincarnated as a member of the opposite gender is a real possibility. According to the Buddha, one of his past lives was as a woman. But ordinarily, a person doesn't remember his past lives so the issue of loving a soul that has reborn into the opposite gender wouldn't be much of a consideration. It's an interesting question to think about though. The manga NG Life by Mizuho KUSANAGI is premised on this very question, but the treatment is more romantic comedy than thoughtful philosophical discussion.

This isn't the first time UraBoku's mangaka, Hotaru Odagiri, has written about the concept of a soul being reborn in the opposite gender. Her one-shot Gin no Kaze Tooi Toki tells the story of a male oni who loved a feudal era human princess and later meets the male doctor her soul has been reborn into.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2010-04-20 at 08:04. Reason: added info about Gin no Kaze Tooi Toki
Old 2010-04-20, 14:55   Link #66
Fimbulvetr

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
There are actually many mature straight males secure enough in their sexuality to be able to watch and enjoy gay stories, so if you can't stand this, it isn't because you're "straight."
Yes there might be many straight males in this world who can enjoy gay stories; without having any sort proof I'll still claim they are a minority, close to insignificance. And amoung people posting in an anime forum, I'd guess their numbers are negligable.

But I agree, it would have probably been more to the point if miroku2192 had simply said he doesn't enjoy gay subtext in his anime, as this is more a matter of personal preference than of sexual orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Will a straight (i emphasize straight) guy who actually relatively enjoyed vampire knight, enjoy this series?
I enjoyed Vampire Knight too and couldn't stand 07-Ghost, so assuming we are on a similar level of "straightness" or "insecurity", you should probably stay away from this one, as I know I will.
Fimbulvetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 16:17   Link #67
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
In the Buddhist philosophy, the possibility of being reincarnated as a member of the opposite gender is a real possibility. According to the Buddha, one of his past lives was as a woman. But ordinarily, a person doesn't remember his past lives so the issue of loving a soul that has reborn into the opposite gender wouldn't be much of a consideration. It's an interesting question to think about though. The manga NG Life by Mizuho KUSANAGI is premised on this very question, but the treatment is more romantic comedy than thoughtful philosophical discussion.

This isn't the first time UraBoku's mangaka, Hotaru Odagiri, has written about the concept of a soul being reborn in the opposite gender. Her one-shot Gin no Kaze Tooi Toki tells the story of a male oni who loved a feudal era human princess and later meets the male doctor her soul has been reborn into.
Well, theologically, the soul can be reincarnated into any living creature (moving or not). And that question about loving a reincarnated soul such Yuki's and Luka's situation was a philosophical one - and, as we see, it is probably a good reason we don't remember our past lives because that would be utterly painful or very chaotic.

All this talk about reincarnation reminds me of a movie where the husband died in a car accident and was reborn as a golden retriever with memory of his past life. Sounds weird but it was a pretty sad tale.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 18:11   Link #68
achirist

I got extremely strong Soubi vibes at the beginning of the episode--the boy in the car who said he was Yuki's brother... I thought that the person who introduced himself as 'Zess,' was just Yuki's friend Kanata-san wearing different clothing? But perhaps they just look similar. I'm sort of nervous that this is going towards typical territory--the boy will develop special fighting powers that he will need to win an epic battle? I didn't expect this to be an action-heavy anime.

Those next-episode previews are amusing; manga series often have little comedic shorts like those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimbulvetr View Post
Yes there might be many straight males in this world who can enjoy gay stories; without having any sort proof I'll still claim they are a minority, close to insignificance. And amoung people posting in an anime forum, I'd guess their numbers are negligable.
I disagree--homophobia as it exists in some parts of america is not universal, and especially in the younger generations, people have changed and the number is not insignificant. I also don't find it valid in the first place--growing up gay, I was constantly bombarded with media containing a type of relationship that is alien to me, but I'm quite tolerant of it.

Last edited by achirist; 2010-04-21 at 16:49.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 18:39   Link #69
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Episode 1:

Wow, that was like reading a badly written fanfic or watching a rerun of Weiss Kreuz/Angel Sanctuary (both of which I shudder from recalling). Thorn, feathers, leathers and reincarnations, add to that the over-the-top gothic tunes and visuals, if I wasn't expecting more from the director, I would have thought this was ridiculously funny.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 13:39   Link #70
Irkalla
I asked for this

I'm a manga reader, and yet I'm absolutely puzzled with the clichiness of this. Has it been too long since I last read it? XD But then in the second episode at the beginning, I hear the voice of Koyasu Tekehito, and I'm like..Oh best series ever! It's always better to just watch these kinda bl fanservice shows with your gutter, makes them look much better.
Old 2010-04-25, 07:33   Link #71
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
[SPOILER="Episode 2"]There's 12 volumes for the DVD, meaning it would be 2 cours. Too bad they're not releasing a BD straight off the bat despite this is produced in HD (I think everything by J.C Staff are done in HD), I guess fujoshis aren't really into high-def yet.
The lack of detail in the animation doesn't really warrant a BD release...and yeah, I'd wager that fujoshi would be more interested in what extras they could get rather than HD anyway...

Quote:
I thought that the person who introduced himself as 'Zess,' was just Yuki's friend Kanata-san wearing different clothing? But perhaps they just look similar. I'm sort of nervous that this is going towards typical territory--the boy will develop special fighting powers that he will need to win an epic battle? I didn't expect this to be an action-heavy anime.
I guess they kind of look similar...but well, once they open their mouths, it's pretty easy to tell who's who.

Quote:
Those next-episode previews are amusing; manga series often have little comedic shorts like those.
I must admit...I'm enjoying the ones for House of Five Leaves more...

Well...episode 2 was even more melodramatic then the 2nd half of episode 1...*sighs* but I do want to actually find out what happens beyond the drama CDs, so here's another hope that they stop having Yuki angst so much!

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 11:18   Link #72
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
XD But then in the second episode at the beginning, I hear the voice of Koyasu Tekehito, and I'm like..Oh best series ever!
I did the same thing Id been putting off epi 2 since epi 1 aside from the voices didnt do much for me. I think I looked at the raw vers of the manga a few years ago XD But Koyasu starts talking and Im all *BING* back into it.

We've said it before this series is seiyuu buffet along with the prettiness of the guys. Im hoping the plot gets better but right now Ill just listen~~~
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 13:47   Link #73
LKK

I don't think it's the plot per se that's the problem with the anime. I think it's the pacing. Things are moving at a much slower pace than I expected them to. It's been a while since I've read this part of the manga, but I thought we'd be farther into the story by this point. There really hasn't been a need to spend as long as we have watching Yuki angst and angst and angst some more just for good measure. It certainly didn't feel that lengthy in the manga. The pacing really needs to pick up if we have any hope of getting any distance into the story.

Old 2010-04-30, 01:13   Link #74
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Third ep. was okay. He's a depressing fellow, wish he would get off it. But I guess that comes with the territory when you happen to know how much everyone's life sucks and what they're thinking. Awful power. But doesn't he also feel happiness from them? Shouldn't that balance some of the bad feelings out? Or does he only feel the bad things? If so, even worse of a power.

With the ending credits, I imagine he's gonna turn back into a chica by the end.

And I don't know why it would be sad to be reborn into a man in this situation. It would only be sad if the one you loved did not love you back but that is clearly not the case here -- Luka loves this guy, no matter what his form. And that's not sad -- it's celebratory.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 15:32   Link #75
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I liked the third ep. Yes, the pacing is a bit slow, both overall and within scenes. But the characters are beginning to work for me. And the relationships, by the end of this ep. And the voice acting is seriously to die for, even if I'm not a huge fan of Houshi Souichirou. This is actually the most I've liked Inoue Marina. I think she's adding a nice energy to the show. Sakurai Takahiro and Koyasu Takehito? Just relax and let it wash over you, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 19:57   Link #76
Forsaken_Infinity

How good is this? Worth watching during finals or not?
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 22:08   Link #77
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
How good is this? Worth watching during finals or not?
I don't know, it's nothing new in terms of art or the premise. If you liked X for sure you would like this. It's a bit emo, but that's what you get when you get a kid with the power to feel other people's crappy feelings. But, let me just say, if you are a fan of voice acting, you would love it. The voices are superb -- just beautiful, like KC said. So much so that I want to make it my ringtone, haha. Too bad Luka isn't the type to talk that much -- I want to hear more, darn it! It's the one thing about the series that really makes it stand out. This series shows why dubs are almost always inferior to the originals.
Spoiler for Epi 4:
Old 2010-05-03, 17:17   Link #78
achirist

Well, episode 4 turned me off a bit with it's discussion of 'god's light' and some pretty typical background information. Certainly the battle was incredibly predictable in that Yuki was going to beg Luka to spare the boy's life. While I'm not so sad that those children are gone, I think I'll kind of regret the realistic side of the story--a young person deciding what to do with his life, sensing the pain of other normal young people around him...
Old 2010-05-03, 19:33   Link #79
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

^^Yeah, was surprised (but not really?) at the religious themes found in the episode. Kinda cliche, but this is like the mixing of reincarnation, a Buddhist theme, with nailing someone to the cross. I guess it is striving to be "deep"? I don't know.
Old 2010-05-03, 20:27   Link #80
Forsaken_Infinity

Gonna watch this, better be good. I mean, I have a final in less than 12 hours...
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, shoujo