AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-01, 00:33   Link #221
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
I know the dub isn't perfect-but name me one that is. I'm really just damn glad to be able to watch to Clannad in english instead of "reading" it. I really hope that they dub After Story because it will be an instant buy for me.
One significant issue I foresee about dubbing After Story, is the VA for Ushio. I'm not sure anyone will be able to match a performance as well done as Satomi Kourogi. Satomi was just amazing and Ushio came to life because of her voice. I just can't see the English dub being able to pull it off.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-07-01, 14:34   Link #222
hinakatbklyn

I wasn't really into Tomoyo's OVA originally, but having heard the english dub, I thought it was much better dubbed (in english) (Especially Tomoya and Tomoyo).

Finding a dub for Ushio may be tough for After Story, but I'm more worried about Kyou's dub in her OVA, based on the first season so far. As a Kyou fan and the fact that the original was very good for one episode, I may need a second opinion (review) before I decide to watch Kyou's OVA dubbed (in english). At least she got alittle better later in the first season.

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2010-07-01 at 21:38.
Old 2010-07-01, 18:09   Link #223
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
Finding a dub for Ushio may be tough for After Story, but I'm more worried about Kyou's dub in her OVA, based on the first season so far. As a Kyou fan and the fact that the original was very good for one episode, I may need a second opinion (review) before I decide to watch Kyou's OVA in english. At least she got alittle better later in the first season.
I can see how that would be a problem for Kyou fans but for Clannad fans in general, Ushio is much more integral to the overall plot. Ushio is also part of the best episode in this series (in my opinion that is.)

The first season has some margin for error considering the upbeat atmosphere, but the second season can't make those same mistakes.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2010-07-01 at 22:23.
Old 2010-07-02, 06:41   Link #224
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
I'm a non-believer and i saw the episode in Japanese. Didn't change my opinion of the pairing. I thought it was a rather boring episode and pairing.
Actually, I think every pairing depicted by the anime series is boring because the writers are extremely stingy about PDA (which I can kind of understand, considering Clannad is more about the development of said relationships than the relationships, but still....). The only couple that even gets so much as a kiss is Kyou and Tomoya, which we don't even really get to see.

At the very least, the OVA showed us more of an emotional side to Tomoyo, whereas in the series, she was mostly all tough and determined. I mean, I didn't see her reaction during the breakup nor her emotional breakdown at the end coming at all. They really did a bang-up job of showing us more than her bold and determined outershell. 'tis a pity it was only one episode long.
Old 2010-07-06, 13:30   Link #225
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I started to re-watch the whole series with the dub and it's sounded pretty decent. Of course, Kyou, even though she seems to have energy make me reminded of some villain or something. *gets hammered by a flying book*

So far, I give it a B-, 8.0/10. There is always room for improvement hopefully in the next 21 episodes.
Old 2010-07-10, 12:52   Link #226
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
Actually, I think every pairing depicted by the anime series is boring because the writers are extremely stingy about PDA (which I can kind of understand, considering Clannad is more about the development of said relationships than the relationships, but still....). The only couple that even gets so much as a kiss is Kyou and Tomoya, which we don't even really get to see.

At the very least, the OVA showed us more of an emotional side to Tomoyo, whereas in the series, she was mostly all tough and determined. I mean, I didn't see her reaction during the breakup nor her emotional breakdown at the end coming at all. They really did a bang-up job of showing us more than her bold and determined outershell. 'tis a pity it was only one episode long.
Agreed. More than anything I think the lack of PDA killed the Kyou episode. What made that story work for me in the VN was watching Ryou struggle to try to save a failing relationship by becoming something she wasn't. A big part of that was her trying to force herself to participate in PDA with Tomoya in order to show that they were a couple despite the Tomoya/Kyou rumors. When you cut all that out the entire dynamic between Tomoya and Ryou is lost and his ultimate decision to be with Kyou isn't as emotional.
Old 2010-07-10, 20:38   Link #227
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I was looking at PDA and thought...wut, they had PDA's?

>Engage in PDA

I need to wiki this. (now I know what it means XD)

And yeah, I guess, though to be honest, the kiss in the VN wasn't that great as a still picture art wise, and I don't know how well KyoAni can do it.
Old 2010-07-11, 06:00   Link #228
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

The kissing scenes in the VN are downright awful. In the anime, however...

I really think they're just screwing with us, tbh.
Old 2010-07-12, 21:05   Link #229
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

I really hope that Sentai Filmworks USA decides to go back and english Dub Clannad: After Story .
Old 2010-07-13, 17:55   Link #230
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Naruto View Post
I really hope that Sentai Filmworks USA decides to go back and english Dub Clannad: After Story .
Might be possible, but we'll have to wait and see my friend.

So far, I do enjoy the dub of CLANNAD. The VA put a lot of emotion into the characters (particularly for David Matranga and Luci Christian on Tomoya and Nagisa respectfully). There were a few stumbles (particularly the first few episodes), but they did a decent job. Although I personally preferred the dub of Lucky Star than CLANNAD. But in terms of story and content, I prefer CLANNAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
Finding a dub for Ushio may be tough for After Story, but I'm more worried about Kyou's dub in her OVA, based on the first season so far. As a Kyou fan and the fact that the original was very good for one episode, I may need a second opinion (review) before I decide to watch Kyou's OVA dubbed (in english). At least she got alittle better later in the first season.
Monica Rial and Hynden Walch are possible options for Ushio.
Old 2010-07-13, 20:47   Link #231
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Naruto View Post
At the end of the complete collection DVD set there's a preview for the upcoming english dub of After Story so all indications are they are currently in the process of dubbing After Story.
Old 2010-07-13, 22:51   Link #232
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
At the end of the complete collection DVD set there's a preview for the upcoming english dub of After Story so all indications are they are currently in the process of dubbing After Story.
Personally, this is where the English VA's will really be tested. Depending on how they treat the drama heavy scenes, it can make or break this decent dub.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-07-14, 04:04   Link #233
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

If they kill Episode 16, heads will roll.

And then if they kill Episode 22, heads will also roll.

FASTER.
Old 2010-07-14, 06:52   Link #234
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Only now looking into the Clannad dub, as I was pretty skeptical about it.

I'm certainly not against dubs in general, as I've often felt that the Haruhi dub has received way more abuse than it should, but Clannad struck me as being particularly hard to adapt into English. Nagisa, Fuko, Kotomi, and Ryou all strike me as having very difficult seiyu voices for English voice actors to emulate. However, I was satisfied with all four of these, which is a minor miracle. The dub really does a surprisingly solid job with these four characters.

Tomoya's voice is a bit deep, but the voice actor at least captures his personality really well, I think.

Tomoyo's voice makes her sound a bit cockier than how I originally perceived her, but I actually kind of like that. This is a case where a dub voice actually might put a neat new twist on a character. I haven't seen (well, heard ) something like that in a very long time, so it's kind of nice here. The pitch and tone of her voice is good.

The one voice I didn't like was Sunohara's, which also shocks me. I thought he'd be one of the easiest characters to translate over into English. All you need is a hammy actor who can do an otherwise pretty normal 17 year old male voice. Honestly, even the guy who did the CCP in Haruhi's anime could at least do a passable job here.

Sunohara's original seiyu voice is not particularly high or low. I think that the dub makers mistook his character's frequent spaz outs to mean "very high pitched voice", which it's not.

I'm actually perfectly fine with Kyou's voice. Similar to Wendee Lee's Haruhi, the voice acting for Kyou nails the personality, but makes the character sound a bit older than what she actually is. I can forgive that, as I'm much more concerned with the voice actor nailing the personality.

All-told, this isn't a bad dub job. The timing of it is awfully strange, but they did a good job with it.
Old 2010-07-15, 21:41   Link #235
asa.hoshi

Oh god

What have they done

I'll be honest- I only watched around 1 minute total of the dubs (across 2 episodes), and it sounds weird...

However, when i first got into anime, I hated the japanese original dub it was too squeely, and weird/strange/different.

And you know what, nowadays all I want IS the original japanese dub because I've become accustomed to it, and appreciate it.

So maybe this is just a re-introduction phase to get used to english again.

I watched a bit of when Tomoyo (the guy or is it tomoyA) when he climbs up the hill to the school and hears Nagissa talking to herself. In my opinion she's missing that shy/cute voice in the english dub?

The Japs are pro at putting kawaii voices to girls, in english it sounds so artificial... because as the english Nagisa was speaking it simply sounded like she was reading a book to us (narrating).

Tomoyo (guy) sounded okay (not good, not bad), one criticism however is those twin girls Fujibuyshi I think her name was, the younger one didn't sound too shy and intimidated and the older one when she acted like a bully throwing the books didn't sound like a "funny bully" as she does in the Jap....does that make sense, I'm hoping Clannad fans would get me on this. In the english dub she sounded like an everyday bully.

Conclusion: I may perhaps watch more of it before I make a final opinion, i think it has potential.
Old 2010-07-16, 02:25   Link #236
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Tomoya is the dude, and Tomoyo is the silver-haired chick. I should flay you alive for getting those two confused.
Old 2010-07-16, 03:53   Link #237
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Heeeeey, some others have got it wrong before too. That's not very nice either ,lol.
Old 2010-07-20, 02:10   Link #238
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
It just wouldn't make much sense to me if they only dubbed the first season and not the second season too.
Old 2010-07-20, 05:33   Link #239
asa.hoshi

quick question

Is the english dub AS emotional as the japanese??

Its seems a strange question to ask but in wtaching the heart wrenching bits did you feel the same way in both versions?
Old 2010-07-20, 23:56   Link #240
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa.hoshi View Post
quick question

Is the english dub AS emotional as the japanese??

Its seems a strange question to ask but in wtaching the heart wrenching bits did you feel the same way in both versions?
Actually, the English Dub for After Story is still in the works. Only the first season has been released fully dubbed. Like I've said before, After Story can really make or break the success of this dub because of the emotional investment.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Closed Thread