AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-27, 16:11   Link #1
shomai
Doujinshi arteeeest :D

A Question with Dialects!

Ok, probably some of you think this topic is totally off...well yeah. Anyway this came up when I thought of Shizuru, and then her dialect, which I think most of us think, is TOTALLY COOL yet TOTALLY DIFFICULT to understand. May I ask those, who may be of help, to elaborate the difference between the standard Nippongo and the Kyoto dialect? Sort of like, how do you know if the character (or the seiyuu for that matter) uses Kyoto-ben? Thanks.
Old 2006-03-27, 16:58   Link #2
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Here you go.

That's going to be pretty technical for someone unfamiliar with Japanese (not sure what your proficiency level is). The easiest way to be sure is if the character uses 'dosu' instead of 'desu'. 'Desu' or 'dosu' translate roughly to 'is', so its said very often. Just listen close.
Old 2006-03-27, 18:41   Link #3
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomai
Ok, probably some of you think this topic is totally off...well yeah. Anyway this came up when I thought of Shizuru, and then her dialect, which I think most of us think, is TOTALLY COOL yet TOTALLY DIFFICULT to understand. May I ask those, who may be of help, to elaborate the difference between the standard Nippongo and the Kyoto dialect? Sort of like, how do you know if the character (or the seiyuu for that matter) uses Kyoto-ben? Thanks.
Much like how you tell apart between a Southern redneck, an Appalachian hillbilly, a yuppie New Yorker, a valley girl from Southern California, some 'ho be speakin' ebonics, to an Aussie and a Brit. Accents, way of saying certain things, etc. etc. - I don't care how it is in real life. Stereotypical portrayals makes things easier for people to associate a certain character with a certain demographic. Same holds true in Japan.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-03-27 at 18:55.
Old 2006-03-27, 22:04   Link #4
shomai
Doujinshi arteeeest :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
Here you go.

That's going to be pretty technical for someone unfamiliar with Japanese (not sure what your proficiency level is). The easiest way to be sure is if the character uses 'dosu' instead of 'desu'. 'Desu' or 'dosu' translate roughly to 'is', so its said very often. Just listen close.
Thank you very much. Your reply is greatly appreciated. :3