Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-11, 20:51   Link #1
FireChick

4Kids Entertainment CEO Al Kahn retires

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...r-kahn-retires

I am not joking. It says so here.

For all you 4Kids Entertainment haters out there, there is a God after all! Hopefully we'll get a CEO who will ACTUALLY be faithful to our anime! Or maybe license the good anime that children NEED to be exposed to nowadays!

Anyway...

KAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 21:06   Link #2
Taufiq91

It's "4kids" aka "For kids"

No matter who's in charge, they will still license stuff and edit it "for kids".

Unless if they go the MTV/History Channel route and license shows like Togainu no Chi and To Love Ru unedited.
Old 2011-01-11, 21:06   Link #3
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

This thread is win.

Anyways, 4Kids was what kept me from knowing what real anime was. I want my childhood back.
Old 2011-01-11, 21:44   Link #4
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I have no real input, but that's exactly what I was gonna say upon seeing this thread.

Ah, 4kids; it brings back memories of Yugioh the Abridged Series. Oh wait...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 22:50   Link #5
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
4Kids was what kept me from knowing what real anime was. I want my childhood back.
It's funny how the company that introduced many people to anime simultaneously made those same folks hate them with a passion. Talk about biting the hand that fed you

Oh yeah...

KAAAAAAAAAHHHNNN!!!
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 23:41   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
There are plenty of good anime that could be done for kids without chopping it up.

Cross Game for example, is clean, and entertainment for the whole family.

Kimi Ni Todoke is a sweet love story that middle school girls would probably just love.

K-On could actually benefit from the removal of fanservice and targeted at the girl tween demographic.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 23:42   Link #7
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
KAAAAAAAAAHHHNNN!!!
And entirely different part of my childhood right there.
4Kids was after my childhood ended, I got a different kind of localization from the late 1970s and 1980s instead.
Old 2011-01-12, 00:10   Link #8
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

4kids...
All I've seen them do is butcher and screw up perfectly fine anime-while making children complete, gun fearing wimps.

I'm very glad this guy is gone. Although, they'll put one of their backups in to take over, so it won't be that much of a change.
Old 2011-01-12, 00:31   Link #9
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

That was the problem with 4Kids.

I can understand the toning down of violence, sexual innuendo, and other things children shouldn't watch, but sometimes they remove pointless things. Localization is okay to a certain point; removing Japanese products with local American ones changes the scenario and the setting (occurs in Pokemon), changing a character's colour due to the slightest possibility of racial stereotyping is skeptical (occurs in Dragon Ball Z), and important scenes and sometimes full episodes are removed to make the show shorter. Other crappy shows run for like 20 seasons, and yet anime shows get cut off halfway through the first.

Localization in general is pretty terrible (like whoever localized Card Captor Sakura ["Cardcaptors"]), but 4Cha...I mean, 4Kids was the worst of them all. Ah yes, to add further insult, take a look at the One Piece japanese openings...then watch the abomination that is the english opening.

I should note that Pokemon, Digimon, Cardcaptors, and Megaman NT Warrior were my favourite shows on TV back then, and they weren't bad. What annoys me is when I watched the Japanese versions years later, and saw how much of the awesome content I missed.
Old 2011-01-12, 01:01   Link #10
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...r-kahn-retires

I am not joking. It says so here.

For all you 4Kids Entertainment haters out there, there is a God after all! Hopefully we'll get a CEO who will ACTUALLY be faithful to our anime! Or maybe license the good anime that children NEED to be exposed to nowadays!

Anyway...

And all the poor animation teams used to replace "Marines" in One Piece with "Navy" also salutes this decision...

Oh the guys who drew this too xD:

Old 2011-01-12, 01:04   Link #11
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
And all the poor animation teams used to replace "Marines" in One Piece with "Navy" also salutes this decision...

Oh the guys who drew this too xD:
*laughs uncontrollably* I remember that! B-but, what the bloody hell is it?!

Anyways, look at the magic of 4Kids: not only do they feel the need to change the gun into a ridiculous...thing, but look at the pointless colour change in his shirt! What's. The. Point.
Old 2011-01-12, 01:09   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
B-but, what the bloody hell is it?!
Looks like a design that didn't quite make it @ NERF...
Old 2011-01-12, 01:19   Link #13
zpf0918
Aishiteiru to itte kure

Send a message via AIM to zpf0918 Send a message via Yahoo to zpf0918
If your going to watch it dubbed in English. Better watch the japanese version first then might as well compare if they crop some scenes. Its the same as Yu-Gi-Oh! when it first came out. Pretty good until you watch the japanese original version and the whole point of their plot later on.

Its either scenes that seem unnecessary, change the whole plot, and etc. The whole point of English licensing is just they can do w/e they want with it since its their's for profit. Even if they make remove violence but then get lets get back to the point its majority for profit aimed at kids.

I say 90s anime were okay back in English dubbing until around 2003 i say.
zpf0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 01:29   Link #14
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I wonder what if 4Kids dub Yosuga no Sora...

Haru and Sora will never get down to business and they sleep with clothes on but still on the same bed/futon.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 01:31   Link #15
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpf0918 View Post
If your going to watch it dubbed in English. Better watch the japanese version first then might as well compare if they crop some scenes. Its the same as Yu-Gi-Oh! when it first came out. Pretty good until you watch the japanese original version and the whole point of their plot later on.

Its either scenes that seem unnecessary, change the whole plot, and etc. The whole point of English licensing is just they can do w/e they want with it since its their's for profit. Even if they make remove violence but then get lets get back to the point its majority for profit aimed at kids.

I say 90s anime were okay back in English dubbing until around 2003 i say.
^ Agreed. It's like watching two separate stories; both just happen to have the same characters. The problem for most of us was that back then, we didn't know about proper anime, we had what 4Kids gave to us. Cardcaptors was still really memorable for me, but really? Keep Sakura's name the same, but change Tomoyo to Madison? XD And that wasn't even 4Kids!
Old 2011-01-12, 01:39   Link #16
zpf0918
Aishiteiru to itte kure

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
^ Agreed. It's like watching two separate stories; both just happen to have the same characters. The problem for most of us was that back then, we didn't know about proper anime, we had what 4Kids gave to us. Cardcaptors was still really memorable for me, but really? Keep Sakura's name the same, but change Tomoyo to Madison? XD And that wasn't even 4Kids!
Probably the first animes that were good dubbed were Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and ranma 1/2. Though i learned of ranma 1/2 late on in the 2000s o.o

Sailor Moon after not realizing it since it was part of my childhood... the english dubbed was actually horrible lol. Though it was still good .... as a childhood memory

Card Captors was good dubbed too but the changes really are a bit too much. Japanese anime before the English Dubbed. Side character can get a name change either way. If you change the main characters name... Then the anime is not worth watching anymore.

~Yosuga lol never will the anime be licensed after all that lol If it does.... i wanna see the major crop off... well its pretty obvious where it'll be cut off.
Old 2011-01-12, 01:47   Link #17
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

My only grudge against 4kids can be summed up in the video below:

Otherwise they are responsible for a lot of my childhood favorites (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh etc.) so I can't harp on them too harshly.

I really doubt Kahn's retirement is gonna change anything though.
Old 2011-01-12, 01:51   Link #18
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

To put how I feel simply I'd say, "And nothing of value was lost."
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 02:10   Link #19
zpf0918
Aishiteiru to itte kure

Lol funny how the riceball part is always censored though it really doesnt have a meaning to be censored... well besides riceballs being japanese food representative kind of thing.

Blood lol.... but anyways ill just stick to japanese as usual since they are "more" in character with the characters then dubbed ones.
Old 2011-01-12, 02:16   Link #20
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpf0918 View Post
Lol funny how the riceball part is always censored though it really doesnt have a meaning to be censored... well besides riceballs being japanese food representative kind of thing.
Not to mention they remove the kanji, like they're trying to erase the fact it's a Japanese-originated show.

Maybe it's just their American pride being damaged by having to localize foreign programming because nothing the Americans make will interest the kids anymore so they try to make it look like it's made in America to heal it again. =P