AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-17, 04:05   Link #2281
Alchemist007
*Author

Where can I find a nice list/poster of the 常用漢字表?
(zyou you kanji hyou). The first result on google was OK but I'd prefer if it was numbered.
Old 2009-04-17, 05:48   Link #2282
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Where can I find a nice list/poster of the 常用漢字表?
(zyou you kanji hyou). The first result on google was OK but I'd prefer if it was numbered.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jōyō_kanji
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 14:47   Link #2283
Alchemist007
*Author

Thanks, should I treat it as a holy grail of sorts?
Old 2009-04-17, 15:47   Link #2284
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic View Post
Awesome. =O I wasn't planning on using Wikipedia anymore (after all, it's an encyclopedia, not lessons) but I just might study with this.

Wish the Romaji wasn't there though. Whenever it's there I tend to spoil myself with reading it (I can't help it! My eyes are trained to drift to Roman characters) and I know I need to practice my kana at every opportunity...
Old 2009-04-17, 16:25   Link #2285
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Awesome. =O I wasn't planning on using Wikipedia anymore (after all, it's an encyclopedia, not lessons) but I just might study with this.

Wish the Romaji wasn't there though. Whenever it's there I tend to spoil myself with reading it (I can't help it! My eyes are trained to drift to Roman characters) and I know I need to practice my kana at every opportunity...
I wouldn't use it to learn kanji from scratch, cause the order it uses is not the most useful for learning Japanese as a foreign language, you'll end up learning some rather obscure kanji at the start andry common ones at the end. It's ok for reviewing what you do know, however, and measuring your progress.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 11:42   Link #2286
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Sorry, I couldn't seem to find it - which one do you refer to?

(As an aside, I found an Ainu sub-board at UniLang - not bad!)
I also think it'd be better to discuss this in the advanced thread, which can be found here -
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=78887

I'd be very interested in learning some things about the Ainu, especially the language. So hopefully you can drum up enough interest for a good discussion. At the least I'll try and do a little research to see what I can find.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 20:14   Link #2287
theorys
Astral Traveller

wow this thread is made of win
theorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 09:01   Link #2288
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
I also think it'd be better to discuss this in the advanced thread, which can be found here -
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=78887

I'd be very interested in learning some things about the Ainu, especially the language. So hopefully you can drum up enough interest for a good discussion. At the least I'll try and do a little research to see what I can find.
Thanks for the link - or should I say, Iyayraykere!
Old 2009-04-19, 10:49   Link #2289
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Thanks for the link - or should I say, Iyayraykere!
You're welcome. And wow, that's thanks in Ainu?
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 15:17   Link #2290
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
You're welcome. And wow, that's thanks in Ainu?
Indeed it is - pretty cool, eh?
Old 2009-04-19, 16:31   Link #2291
iLney

ごもっとも= You're quite right.

無理= unreasonable

ご無理ごもっとも = it is just like what you say

Is there some mistake in translation of the last sentence or Japanese people just love to use sarcasm....?
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 17:00   Link #2292
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Think of it in the same vein as "The customer is always right." It's about the treatment, not about actually being right. In fact you may well know the other party to be completely wrong, but you still give them the right because you have to. (I'm not sure how applicable second person usage, like in your given translation, would be though. That would seem sarcastic, yes.)
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 14:43   Link #2293
iLney

Thank you.

雨がぱらぱらと降り出した

What is "と" doing there? Would it be okay to omit it?
Old 2009-04-20, 15:20   Link #2294
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Thank you.

雨がぱらぱらと降り出した

What is "と" doing there? Would it be okay to omit it?
Onomatopoeic words like that can be thought of as quotations of some sound, thus many (may) take と. It's OK to omit it in this case, but in some cases (generally with shorter words) と is customary.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 21:15   Link #2295
iLney

Thank alot. That's the first case I see onomatopoeic followed by an article though

Next:

砂糖を入れましたか?

First off, I don't study grammar .... Is that sentence in past tense? If so, why is it translated into "Do you take sugar?" ("Did" wouldn't make much sense either)
Old 2009-04-20, 23:29   Link #2296
Raiga
tl;dr

Bit of a tangent and I'm sure there are plenty of people who already know of this blog (it's over four years old) but I just recently discovered it and I got a huge kick out of it.

http://www.hanzismatter.com/

My favorite is still the guy with the "gaijin" tattoo.

EDIT: This one's gold
Quote:
First of all, the name Washington is usually written ワシントン [washinton] rather than ウォシントン [woshinton] as was presumably intended by the tattooist.

Next, someone left out the first ン, leaving only ウォシトン [woshiton]. Then, they used the large オ rather than the small ォ, making the tattoo actually spelled ウオシトン [uoshiton], so I guess it would be pronounced sort of like the English words "Whoa Shit On." That's probably not quite what Mr. Washington wanted when he got his tattoo...

Last edited by Raiga; 2009-04-20 at 23:53.
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 04:44   Link #2297
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Thank alot. That's the first case I see onomatopoeic followed by an article though

Next:

砂糖を入れましたか?

First off, I don't study grammar .... Is that sentence in past tense? If so, why is it translated into "Do you take sugar?" ("Did" wouldn't make much sense either)
It says, "Did you add [lit. "put in"] sugar?" Not sure of the context, of course, but the meaning seems pretty straightforward...
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 11:54   Link #2298
iLney

Well, the sentence looks like a waiter asking if his customer wants to add sugar in something? "Did" wouldn't make sense here... Or is it a polite way to put it?
Old 2009-04-21, 12:26   Link #2299
Kitsu
The unlucky one

I have just a quick question.
I often read the difference between the different dialects and accents in Japanese are a lot bigger then in English and such.
Just how big is it?
I'll travel to Osaka and as far I know they speak Kansai-dialect. Will I be able to understand them? In Germany we have also different dialects and such and some people (not me) can't understand them properly. I mean in the end I always have English as a resort, but...
Old 2009-04-21, 18:17   Link #2300
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
I have just a quick question.
I often read the difference between the different dialects and accents in Japanese are a lot bigger then in English and such.
Just how big is it?
I'll travel to Osaka and as far I know they speak Kansai-dialect. Will I be able to understand them? In Germany we have also different dialects and such and some people (not me) can't understand them properly. I mean in the end I always have English as a resort, but...
Well depends on who you talk to.
If its generic tourist shop keepers, tourist boards, JR staff and people see that you're a foreigner, than they'll all most likely try to adhere to standard Japanese for you.
If you speak to the locals in small shops, listen carefully on the buses or trains, then you may catch the blatant differences.
But for having travelled around the country, I spoke with the Japanese I know (tokyo), they can see I'm a foreigner and so are courteous enough to keep their japanese clear for me asking simple things like
'where do you come from? How long you been in japan' etc.
Osaka is the second biggest city in the country, so I'm sure they're well aware of tourists needing basic, simple Japanese from them anyways.
So you should be fine.

PS: There is a 'japanese culture' or 'travelling to japan' thread about as well, if u want anymore 'holiday' like or culture questions

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiragana