AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-29, 01:52   Link #541
gameboy234

The dragon, lost precious etc do interest me. I wished that there will be more adventure, hunting lost precious(more plot development) than Ryuuji and Rose flirting around..
gameboy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 04:56   Link #542
Seiryuu

OK, I don't get people's disappointment with the whole "power of love" thing. Frankly, I think it fits quite well with the story. Especially since the way to obtain massive, unbeatable power was shown from the start to require two who loved and trusted each other. The fact that such massive power comes from a basic contract makes the even greater power coming from a deeper contract quite believable. And honestly, love is known even in real life for empowering some to do unbelievable things.

The hearts were a bit much though.........

Anyway, something tells me that later in the story Sapphie is going to start losing interest in her precious Onyx. After all, PEER PRESSURE can be very hard to resist.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 05:35   Link #543
Taufiq91

http://www.japanator.com/taufiq-s-wi...=1&y=community

My round up review of Dragon Crisis for Japanator:

now, Studio DEEN is a hit or miss. While they make masterpieces like Ranma 1/2 and Higurashi, most of their other stuff can be forgettable to many. And Dragon Crisis is no exception. And let me tell you why.

The first episode starts out fine. it had a decent introduction to the main character and his cousin Eriko. By the second half of the episode, we get to see a nicely-made scene of car chases and the arrival of Rose, a dragon who's voiced by Rie Kugimiya. it was nicely done. It builds up my expectations for the next episode. The fact Rose would say "Ryuji" every single time made me curious about why she kept calling his name.

By the second episode, everything fell apart. Bad pacing, boring expositions and Ryuji being all Shinji with Eriko acting as his Misato just kills all the excitement from episode 1. And the arrival of our arch-villain Onyx voiced by Hiroshi "ZETSUBOUSHITA" Kamiya didn't helped either.

This shows the bad qualities of Studio DEEN's writing and pacing for this anime. You got a really good pilot, and you killed it off by the second pilot. it's called "The Flash Forward syndrome" and it's obviously shown here.

The rest of the series are mediocre 2-episode arcs with bad pacing and rushed storyline along with fillers we don't care about. There are some nice moments from episode 8 and episode 6, but everything else is just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................

And this is why you should never adapt light novels with Index/Railgun-esque storylines into a 12 episode season. The original light novel by Kaya Kizaki is a good series that is just like Index/Railgun light novels. Unlike Haruhi Suzumiya series which relies on character interaction, the light novels use story arcs and just like Index/Railgun, it relies alot on story development. To adapt something like Dragon Crisis you need a 24 episode season where a story arc is around 3 to 4 episodes, You also need to have filler episodes that features character development, not filler episodes that has the characters entering a painting.

The characters range from 'likeable" to "facepalm". Eriko is the one character i really like. She reminds me of Misato Katsuragi without the bitchiness. She does the Cool Sis role very well and i lovo Yukana's portrayal of her.

But Ryuji is nothing more than your average harem main character. Dense, Shinji-esque, whiny and doesn't know what's going on. But at the end of the series, he and Rose are already a couple, so i think it's a refreshing than all the other stupid harem leads.

And Rose is one of the most dere roles Rie Kugimiya has ever done. For a tsundere queen, she handled Rose very well. Imagine Sanzenin Nagi without the tsun. it's nice and she's very well drawn. But i'll get to that later.

The other characters are okay. Hiroshi Kamiya completely nailed his role as Onyx. it's basically Izaya with wings. And then, you have hot wolf girl Ai who's basically a cloud-cuckoolander character, but she's cool and she has a really nice figure. You also get the hot SanFran scientist Bianca. And then, you have Maruga, the blue-haired Yamato Nadeshiko and Misaki, the shy classmate and friend of Ryuji who's in love with Ryuji but is in competition with Rose. These are characters who are kinda cool in their own way, but there's not episodes for them to develop, and that's sad.

But i really love the design of the characters. They are well drawn, especially Rose and Ai. And they also use nice CGI effects that don't look out-of-place, and while it's not visually stunning, it manages to be nice and simple.

The music is also not bad. Again it's not meant to be groundbreaking like the other animes of this season, but it does have a nice OP. that's all i can say. I don't hear much music in this anime so what can i say?

In overall, Dragon crisis is an anime that could have been better, but is ruined by rushed story arcs and an undeserving 12-episode season. Great seiyuu cast, nice characters and good effects, but fails to impress. if there's ever a second season, please make it 24 episodes aka a full season. I'd love to see a second season for this. If Baka to Test and Seitokai no Ichizon got a second season, then there's a chance this too might get a second chance.

Ratings: 6/10
Old 2011-03-29, 10:30   Link #544
Sekirei07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
OK, I don't get people's disappointment with the whole "power of love" thing. Frankly, I think it fits quite well with the story. Especially since the way to obtain massive, unbeatable power was shown from the start to require two who loved and trusted each other. The fact that such massive power comes from a basic contract makes the even greater power coming from a deeper contract quite believable. And honestly, love is known even in real life for empowering some to do unbelievable things.

The hearts were a bit much though.........

Anyway, something tells me that later in the story Sapphie is going to start losing interest in her precious Onyx. After all, PEER PRESSURE can be very hard to resist.
The whole "Power of Love" thing was totally stupid when in the very previous episode we get some revelation that Ryuji might not really be human, that he has some kind of special connection to dragons because he could/is a lost precious himself. But there is absolutely no followup on it! He doesn't even question his humanity or dwell on the matter later at all. It was completely ignored, is Ryuji really special in some way? He was sure as hell boring as a normal human but if something like this can make him interesting than why did they bother to state it without going further with it.

The series is freaking called "Dragon Crisis" yet we don't even find anything out of that title other than the "Dragon Crisis" is Ryuji. That is all!

Also the whole Sapphie thing, if she really loves Onyx than why the hell is she hanging out with the very people that took him away from her? Is she going out there looking for him or clues to saving him? Hell no, she is just playing school. It almost makes me feel bad for Onyx. Even his assistant is playing school as the freaking teacher. I mean she seemed to have some kind of subtle feels possibly for Onyx but again, its never explored.
Old 2011-03-29, 11:35   Link #545
Kaerie

Maybe because she knows that Onyx is a little weird. And she knows that those humans aren't bad. Who are we to question the motives of a dragon.
And besides it seems it's well know that Onyx is immortal.

The ending left me with more questions than answers. Maybe a second season that takes place a few years in the future?

"Only a few find the way; some don't recognize it when they do; some don't ever want to."
Kaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 11:49   Link #546
Jarppa

I heard that first volume sold pretty bad. if that doesnt improve we prolly never will have another season. Anyway this had nice characters atleast. Just didnt happen much. maybe lack of source? If i remember right DC are fairly new novel. So there isnt much to animate orso?
Jarppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 13:09   Link #547
Newhope

Pretty mediocre series with really nothing to keep you interested as it is I highly doubt they'll be another series.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 13:57   Link #548
Stefkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
Pretty mediocre series with really nothing to keep you interested as it is I highly doubt they'll be another series.
This. The only thing that really interested me were the Lost Precious and Onyx's voice but Onyx was dead/recovering for most of it.

It was just another harem show but the main character actually devoted himself to one of the girls at the end this time. I would've accepted the ending but I'm annoyed that, even though he has most definitely commit himself to Rose, that wolf girl and classmate still think they have a chance. Another reason why I hate harem shows.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 14:30   Link #549
hoarfrost

I lol'd hard at this. I'm not sure that's what was intended to happen, but that's what happened. This episode is so intrinsically laughable that one can't even mock it, the premise itself is the joke. That makes this stupid on a transcendental level.

All I can say is bravo. It takes conscious skill and precision to end up with something forgettable on all fronts. One does not merely stumble upon that kind of mediocrity.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 15:40   Link #550
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
On the positive it certainly isn't the worst Dragon themed series ever made.

In the end a fairly forgettable show and would be surprised if we got a second season out of this. Seems like they just wanted to rush and introduce the whole harem before saying goodbye.
Old 2011-03-29, 15:56   Link #551
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
On the positive it certainly isn't the worst Dragon themed series ever made.
Which means you have a worse in mind? I don't even remember an anime that is similarly dragon themed.
Old 2011-03-29, 19:00   Link #552
Boduar

Wasnt there dragonauts or something (big boobies is all i can remember).
Boduar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 19:40   Link #553
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Well, that was a fun series. It wasn't as good at the end as it was in the beginning, as is the case with many series, but it was still good and plenty of fun.

I have to give this a 7/10.
Old 2011-03-29, 19:58   Link #554
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
IMHO, the only things worth remembering are:
  1. The OP, Horie Yui's voice is something else, shame that her character was plain boring.
  2. Eriko's introduction scene, combined with Yukana's voice was just too much.
  3. The hilarious rabu enggeji scene, I had to rewind since I missed a couple of scenes from LMAO.
  4. Finally, the character designs, dunno rather they should have made an artbook.

Everything else is indeed forgettable. As for the comparison to Dragonaut, well the later is branded to my memory for how bad a show can be, absolutely no redeeming quality... OK, save for the twin-tailed goth-loli
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 21:15   Link #555
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boduar View Post
And don't forget, Shadow Star Narutaru (Man, for a pre-Madoka deconstruction of a kid's genre, it's pretty mediocre)
Old 2011-03-29, 21:40   Link #556
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
And don't forget, Shadow Star Narutaru (Man, for a pre-Madoka deconstruction of a kid's genre, it's pretty mediocre)
Wasn't that only in the manga, nonetheless cool that someone remembered my favourite manga
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 21:51   Link #557
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Wasn't that only in the manga, nonetheless cool that someone remembered my favourite manga
it was pretty much in the anime, sometimes.

The manga was cool, i had to admit. too bad they toned down everything in the anime and turn it to nothing but 13 episodes of droning music, shocking close ups and Pol Pot teenagers.
Old 2011-03-30, 01:12   Link #558
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boduar View Post
That was pretty much where I was going . I mean it'd be tough to make a series worse than that. Compared to that Dragon Crisis was amazing.
Old 2011-03-30, 03:48   Link #559
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

finally finished the series. Pretty disappointing ending. got me slightly interested in the starting, But from the airport part, I merely leaned back on my chair and sighed. I was that close to facepalming.

oh well overall its a rather average series in my opinion. It did not seem to have many memorable parts. could have and should have been better.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 05:59   Link #560
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i demand a second season!!!
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, romance, shounen