AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-12-07, 23:11   Link #361
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I want to know why did the ballroom have a pole.
Old 2016-12-08, 03:02   Link #362
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Dies to ring
Dies to the ED
And good job there Phicit.

But no, I am not boarding the ship yet! Not until those two say "I do."
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 05:49   Link #363
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

So inordinately happy that Nobu is going to be in the next episode.

edit: I should amend that the actual Grand Prix Final is this weekend in Marseille, France. It starts... well, now, since it's Thursday afternoon there.

Ep 10:

- The hell is Chris drinking, a Shirley Temple?
- "Yuri's Angels" another reference to Johnny Weir, whose rabid fan club is "Johnny's Angels." However, they are probably all at least twice the age of the girls/women shown in Yuri's.
- Where did Otabek get a motorcycle to drive in Spain?
- Figure skating is split up into skill levels, with the YoI crew and all of the skaters you may be familiar with all competing at the highest level, Seniors. Below that is Juniors, and below that is Novice, all the way down to Pre-Preliminary (at least in the US). The levels are seperated by a skill level test where a skater has to perform elements (spins, jumps, figures, etc) well enough to advance. (Age is also a component, but generally just for competitions and it's fuzzy and confusing and I don't want to get into it right now. Suffice to say that while a 10 year old Yurio could very well have passed the Junior level tests, he would not have been old enough to compete in Junior level international competitions, and would have still been competing as a Novice.)
- Not sure, then, why Otabek wasn't up to snuff with the Russian juniors at summer camp, since they would have all already passed the Junior tests and be working on their Senior skills. Granted, I'm not sure exactly how this would be done w/r/t Russia and Kazakhstan's federations (or whether KAZ would have even really had one). Maybe it was just left up to Yakov since it was his summer camp, in which case that blows for Otabek, but then again, he may have had the summer camp comped or discounted since if it's anything like actual Kazakhstan, there's not much in the way of support for figure skating.
- Yuuri is cute as hell.
- Japanese skater Mao Asada's ice show The Ice features on-ice dance battles, too, so I wonder if that was the inspiration. It's hard to imagine cranky as hell 14 year old Yurio joining in, though.
- Seriously doubt that skater banquets are that interesting and that is a damn shame.
- DIsappointed that I have never seen a figure skating ouendan at a competition.
- Nobunari Oda is a figure skater who represented Japan internationally from 2005-2014, including a visit to Vancouver for the 2010 Olympics. He won a whole bunch of medals during his career and developed an amusing reputation for repeating jump combinations and getting no points for them. Also had excellent knees. Despite barely looking like his testes have descended, he is married and has three children. Astute anime observers into Japanese history might notice his name is similar Nobunaga Oda, the warlord who unified feudal Japan. Indeed it's because he is a direct descendant or at least purports to be, idk how much historians have the lineage on lockdown.
Old 2016-12-08, 11:39   Link #364
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
At first when the new ED popped up I was disappointed, until I realized what it was about, and then I was ecstatic. After them teasing it in the show, I really did want to see Yuri's dance off, and it was glorious. But yes, where the hell did that pole come from?! But Yuri needs to get drunk at stuffy parties more often.

After watching this anime I would love to see Yamamoto direct an adaptation of Ballroom e youkoso.
Old 2016-12-08, 11:59   Link #365
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've always assumed at least 90% of the people claiming to be direct descendants of Oda or Date Masamune or someone like that are just bullshitters. I mean, how can you prove they're lying?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 12:28   Link #366
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've always assumed at least 90% of the people claiming to be direct descendants of Oda or Date Masamune or someone like that are just bullshitters. I mean, how can you prove they're lying?
Date clan is still alive and kicking, though. Just like Shimazu, Tokugawa, Sanada, Mori, Uesugi, Kuroda. Techinically, Mitsuhide's descendants are also there via Hosokawa clan.
As for Nobunari - he is claiming to be the descendant of Nobunaga's seventh son, but it's hard to check.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 13:17   Link #367
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

One of those Hosokawas was Prime Minister briefly in the 90's - the only real flowering of independent reform in Japan since the war, pretty much. Sadly the system chewed him up and spit him out and he ended up making pottery for a living (until a failed run for Tokyo Governor).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 14:18   Link #368
Wandering Soul

I really liked the ED, so when the one for this episode came out I was prepared to be disappointed. I actually enjoyed it though and now I want to see another dance off. I also want to learn where that pole came from.
Old 2016-12-08, 15:05   Link #369
Ernietheracefan

I'd like to see Chris & co doing Jojo poses.. That could be awesome..

Dat rings & the pole-dancing banquet..

While JJ being Nico..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 16:56   Link #370
Thess

Remember when I said Yuri on Ice takes place in some different world without homophobia and discrimination? Turns out, I was right.

In light of this, the show is more about Yuri's struggles with skating and his ability to have confidence on himself, letting Victor love him than some coming out the closet story because it's completely normalized. Yuri would probably act the same if Victor was Victoria, he's just awkward with his feelings and has no experience how to express or acknowledge them, IMO. That's why most reactions to Yuri's relationship with Victor were less about their intimacy and more on the fact one of the parties involved is the sought after Victor. Victor who stopped skating after Yuri stole him from the world.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 18:16   Link #371
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Date clan is still alive and kicking, though. Just like Shimazu, Tokugawa, Sanada, Mori, Uesugi, Kuroda. Techinically, Mitsuhide's descendants are also there via Hosokawa clan.
As for Nobunari - he is claiming to be the descendant of Nobunaga's seventh son, but it's hard to check.
*pops in*
One of Akechi Mitsuhide's descendants actually wrote a book about how No Seriously It Was Actually Hideyoshi. That's how you know he's the real deal, I guess. (And the Sanada descendants have a pretty interesting backstory.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 18:26   Link #372
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
One of Akechi Mitsuhide's descendants actually wrote a book about how No Seriously It Was Actually Hideyoshi.
Was he a consultant on Hyouge Mono?

Spoiler:

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2016-12-08 at 18:45.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 18:53   Link #373
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Was he a consultant on Hyouge Mono?

Spoiler:
Haha, well, the "It was actually [X]!" thing is fairly common, mostly because so little is known about the incident, including any possible motivations for Mitsuhide... Also Mitsuhide had proven himself to be a fairly talented politician and daimyou, so it's kind of weird that he did such a horrible job with the aftermath. So people speculate that maybe someone else was pulling the strings. It's usually Hideyoshi because it's Hideyoshi who ended up directly benefiting the most from the situation, but sometimes it's Ieyasu, or the Mouri, or the imperial court, Ashikaga Yoshiaki...

/off-topic
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-09, 07:12   Link #374
Dop
Mmmm....

This is wonderful...

Pole Dancers React to Ending Sequence of Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 10
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-09, 08:13   Link #375
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In my mind pole dancing has always been associated with strippers. Is there also a community of pole dancers who do it for the athleticism and performance?
Old 2016-12-09, 08:34   Link #376
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
In my mind pole dancing has always been associated with strippers. Is there also a community of pole dancers who do it for the athleticism and performance?
My understanding is yes. It's caught on enough here in Australia - A few years back, I went to a hen's party that was a pole dancing class. And another of my friends does it for fun and fitness. She's already done a YOI cosplay...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-09, 09:26   Link #377
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Remember when I said Yuri on Ice takes place in some different world without homophobia and discrimination? Turns out, I was right.

In light of this, the show is more about Yuri's struggles with skating and his ability to have confidence on himself, letting Victor love him than some coming out the closet story because it's completely normalized. Yuri would probably act the same if Victor was Victoria, he's just awkward with his feelings and has no experience how to express or acknowledge them, IMO. That's why most reactions to Yuri's relationship with Victor were less about their intimacy and more on the fact one of the parties involved is the sought after Victor. Victor who stopped skating after Yuri stole him from the world.
Yeah, I imagined as much as well. Having a "coming out/facing discrimination" subplot after all would have only cluttered the run time even more and stolen focus from the skating after all. Good call imho, and part of what makes this show so charming. BTW there's still an hard core of deniers at MAL apparently. I'd like to see them grab a friend, bring him to a church, kneel, delicately put a ring on his finger while the choir sings, and then get up and go "no homo, right?" .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-09, 10:26   Link #378
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
My understanding is yes. It's caught on enough here in Australia - A few years back, I went to a hen's party that was a pole dancing class. And another of my friends does it for fun and fitness. She's already done a YOI cosplay...
Pole dancing seems to be the topic of the week. Even the NY Times has this piece about "plus-sized" women who pole dance: http://nyti.ms/2hen5MC.
Old 2016-12-09, 12:43   Link #379
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
About a year ago I was actually thinking about taking a class, but unfortunately, most of them were to far from my work and home. But it really can be fun, and is a good whole body work out. You'll definitely engage muscles you probably never even knew you had. xD The Huffington Post actually had a little blurb on how the International Pole Sports Federation (Yes, they have a federation) is trying to get the sport added to the Olympics, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3781544.html.
Old 2016-12-09, 13:59   Link #380
chi4ko
Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
BTW there's still an hard core of deniers at MAL apparently.
For real? Are they just trolls or do they genuinely believe in what they write? If the latter, there must be something seriously wrong with them. I guess if there was a sex scene in this show, they would be still screaming 'but it's not homo!!!'.

Tags
figure skating, sports