AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-06-11, 14:16   Link #41
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

X, VII, VIII

VII will always have a special place of its own.

I do not like X-2 at all - and I think X2 ruins X - the whole dress up mechanic, in combat dress change is pretty stupid imo.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 15:07   Link #42
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Well, the story and characters are basically DBZ. Not enough to even come close to any sort of plagiarism, but you can definitely see where they drew inspiration from. Makes sense that, on an anime forum, a lot of people would like it even if they only subliminally made the connection.

Also, the card game mini-game rocked.
Wait.... Wut? I am not sure I get the connection I especially don't remember DBZ having any remotely important female characters fighting wise for a LONG time . Given that Garnet and Eiko were both key characters to the both story and fighting I am failing to see it. The closest thing to it would comparing maybe Goku to Zidane, but even that's quite a stretch to me .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 21:30   Link #43
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I think it's because the trance system that might be similar to SSJ or perhaps the fact that
Spoiler:

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 02:40   Link #44
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Final Fantasy 9's first one I played and finished, so that would be my favourite. I played ff x and ff vi for quite a while but I found it too hard and the random battle was getting annoying, I gave up almost before the last boss.

Sure FF9 and Dragonball had a few similarities on the surface but that was it. FF9 had one of the most genuinely touching story and I felt every characters had recognisable personalities even the minor ones. It's kind of insulting in a way to compare it DBZ not the original one when they are completely different medium. It's a shame how far Square Enix came to now. For some reason, I'm not too fond of Tetsuya Nomura's character designs. It's all hip, funky and cool everytime that's why I didn't enjoy FF7. It was amusing for a while and quickly became boring.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 06:14   Link #45
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
My favorites numbered FFs in order is FF6, FF5, FF4, FF7, and FF9. Also love FF Tactics which is one of my favorite games ever and FF Mystic Quest. The soundtrack itself is enough to warranty replayability.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 12:43   Link #46
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

VIII

I like the cast, I like the music (next to X the best of the series imho), it has my favorite airship and my favorite summon design. I am also quite fond of the setting and detail put into it. You can easily miss a lot of things (Adel's messages on the screen in Timber for instance). Since I'm a sucker for romance I can't help but love it even more. Rinoa is just adorable, even if perhaps she is a but too adorable. The Ragnarok scenes are just HNNNNG.
Besides that I enjoy Triple Triad more than any other mini-game in the series.

It is however, as no game is, perfect.

The story, I think, is quite lacking considering the motives of the villain. Even if you replay the game and know that you-know-who is you-know-what by you-know-who and thus can read deeper into her statements it still misses a lot.
That and the beginning of Disc 2 is absolutely atrocious. Desert prison, the unending Winhill walk and the Rocket Base in succession? Oh my god.
The drawing and junctioning is annoying. You don't really need to draw given you know how the game works, but even then the junctioning is a nuisance, especially when you have to switch groups, again. It's also way too easy to break the game and eliminate any challenge.

If it wasn't for VIII I would probably name X my favorite, while I hate XIII and XII (good voice acting and side missions though) the most.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 13:27   Link #47
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
while I hate XIII and XII (good voice acting and side missions though)
Mark hunting is fun, but only up to a point. Many of the FFXII marks were utterly frustrating and hardly any fun, and while in XIII only some were hard to five-star, the whole game just had one side mission, namely mark hunting :P
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 20:03   Link #48
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Mark hunting is fun, but only up to a point. Many of the FFXII marks were utterly frustrating and hardly any fun, and while in XIII only some were hard to five-star, the whole game just had one side mission, namely mark hunting :P
At least XII's mark hunting had at times very interesting models and unique locations (airship) or variants of existing ones (fighting Behemoth King in a snowstorm = magnificient). XIII's marks were just awful. You don't really have to do anything except walk there. The model of the first winged Undying alone is recycled countless times and is even used again, slightly modified, for the underwhelming final mark. I actually thought we'd get to fight Atlas. What a cocktease having him run around in the background...

That and the Faultwarren was simply atrocious game design.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 21:23   Link #49
Razziell22

From all the FF games I played (haven't played I, II, V & Tactics) these are my fav:
VIII, VII, X, VI, IV & FFVIICC

X-2- I loved the battle system i had a lot of fun playing it, but the story was just>_> ...it ruins X imo & Yuna...i still like her but i love her in 10.
IX- I did like it, but it didn't feel as special for me as other FF... i don't know why...but for some reason i just wasn't attached to the world & characters as much as in other FF games...
III- Same as 9.
XII- ...First FF game that i didn't like much. I didn't like most of the characters besides Balthier, Fran, Ashe & Rasler(yup i thought he was cool ...& than he dies in the intro)
XIII- I actually like it. yeah it wasn't as good as the other FF games as it was missing few things i really liked about Final Fantasy....so I hope XIII-2 improves that. But i still enjoyed it & l love Lightning
Old 2011-06-12, 21:41   Link #50
Felliko

Final Fantasy Xll is my favorite FF game, and this is coming from someone who has played all FF games except FFXl.
Old 2011-06-13, 03:33   Link #51
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
I find almost all of Final Fantasy games to be equally entertaining, but after FFX it went downhill for me. Anyway, my favorites would be VIII and VII, mostly because they are the first which I played and they threw me in JRPG genre that I'm so addicted to this day.
Old 2011-08-20, 21:13   Link #52
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

one thing that set apart X for me was the beautiful soundtrack. To Zanarkand is probably the best theme out of them all imo
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 22:12   Link #53
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Final Fantasy VII - Is my all time favorite simply because it was the very, very first game that I played when I first purchased the Playstation. Then I turned to Nintendo games after that

Final Fantasy X - Is going to be my second with Final Fantasy VIII falling behind it because I couldn't get enough time on 8 to fully enjoy it before I had to give it back to my friend. But I haven't really played that much Final Fantasy games, so that leaves X to be my 2nd FF game to finish
Old 2011-08-20, 22:42   Link #54
spikexp

FF VII, far from being perfect, but it's my first RPG (wrong, my first one is The Legend of Dragoon, but it's my first final fantasy). After I would put FF X because it's my second final fantasy.
And FF XII, even if it has a "bad" story, the gameplay is so much fun and the "almost" open world if sweet.

After that, I haven't played FF I to VI, VIII, IX, X-2, XI. And I haven't finish XIII (way to boring...)
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 03:13   Link #55
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

For me, its FF Tactics Advance. Love the battle and the jobs. The story is simple but not without substance. Also, the story/missions that appear after I finish the game is quite interesting too^^.

FF VI comes next^^.
Old 2011-08-21, 10:06   Link #56
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

I'd say IX is my favourite. It was the first FF I ever played as a kid, and I still think it has the best soundtrack and setting amongst them. So much traditional fantasy and so little Sci-fi, just as I like them.
That said, I just finished FFVI the other day, and I really loved it. Kefka is so insane and the Opera scene just blew my mind, 16-bit style. Next one on the list is the FFIV remake for PSP, which I already caught a glimpse of and can say I really like the storyline.

Never played FFI, FFII or the online ones though, so I don't know about them.
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 12:17   Link #57
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Final Fantasy IX was nice even though the german pal version used the deepest slangs on some characters >_< (bavarian regional slang isn't quite pleasant to read imho). Overall the game was pretty enjoyable. You have to love the playable moment with Beatrix! The drawback was the final, final boss who appeared out of nowhere and was very annoying without enough status protection. I know that many found him easy to beat, but I had on my first run a few difficulties.

Final Fantasy VI is one of my favorites. A great OST, Terra, Celes, Shadow, Mog. And casting double or quadruple Ultima is fun.

FF VIII: As a great fan of corny/clisché love stories I felt "at home" with it. The draw system wasn't that great imho even if you could become overpowered at the very start thanks to card transformations. Laguna's battle theme is still as catchy as ever.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite series, final fantasy, mmorpg, square enix