AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 35 27.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 35.16%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 21.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 10.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 5.47%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-31, 08:15   Link #141
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
Kihara is no new girl by any means, she sticks around Ami almost all the time, and we´ve also seen her in the basketball incident in the early chapters/episdoes, and she gave off that "Kitamura <3" vibes all the time too. . ., she won´t have too much of an impact on the story either way
Inside info or just speculation?
Old 2009-01-31, 09:28   Link #142
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Inside info or just speculation?
It's from the series. She just looks differently this episode, but she's the one who always called Kitamura as Maruo. She is pretty close friends with Ami, and one could see them hanging out at Sudoh-bucks often.
Old 2009-01-31, 09:38   Link #143
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Wow, some of you people aren't making any damn sense.

I DON'T LIKE MY CHARACTER ACTING DIFFERENT, THEY SHOULD BE ONE DIMENSIONAL AND PREDICTABLE FOR THE ENTIRE RUN OF THE SHOW.

TAIGA SHOULD NEVER BE NICE.

MINORIN SHOULD BE WACKY LULZ.

THESE CHANGE OF EVENTS DOES NOT PLEASE ME

Do you people even listen to what you're saying? You're holding fault to these characters for literally being human.
I agree with you, but less elitism please. Its not everyone who views the series with the same wisdom as you do.
Old 2009-01-31, 09:38   Link #144
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:

I DON'T LIKE MY CHARACTER ACTING DIFFERENT, THEY SHOULD BE ONE DIMENSIONAL AND PREDICTABLE FOR THE ENTIRE RUN OF THE SHOW.

Do you people even listen to what you're saying? You're holding fault to these characters for literally being human.
Waiter there's some actual drama in this supposedly lulzy comedy. "well maybe you should've checked the menu instead :V"

It's called P. L. O. T. Development. Y'know, story start.. story ends. Doesn't go into a ffff'ing reset just to tease you more into watching more until it falls into the oblivion of it's own suck.

I could kinda care less about the bitching. Hell I like that Taiga is acting less like ye olde standard. And from the looks of the new OP, you'd better start getting used to this side.

*MOAR AMI* well always be heard from the sidelines.. the fanservice with her this EP should hopefully silence that for a little. Hey there's always the novel if you're desperate for your hit.

I kind of think rather than having some deep darkness in herself, Minorin is just inherently dramatic. And obviously facing a tough choice between her self and her friends. Oh wait she's no longer 'just' genki? Oh well.
Old 2009-01-31, 09:45   Link #145
typhonsentra

Did anyone catch Roan's post?
Old 2009-01-31, 09:47   Link #146
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

From the start of the series Ami was always the third wheel (or, truth be told, the fifth wheel). In the primary characters' initial infatuations Ami was never part of the equation. She has developed along the way, but the primary clash was always between who Taiga and Ryuuji admired and themselves. Sure, she enables and enacts, but her character also has much difficulty appealing to Ryuuji's sensibilities, as much as she likes him, or as much as I like her. She has difficulty appealing to Ryuuji because Ryuuji is certain that she's just toying around with him (what with her general demeanor and all). In addition to that, Ryuuji also has a massive inferiority complex as regards his looks, so that all but intensifies this assumption of his.

For Ryuuji to truly understand that she truly likes him, she has to be blatant about confession and about a lot of stuff in general. We see that Ami has not done this; it may come later, but by then I would assume that Ryuuji would only be weighing between his admiration for Minori and his dedication for Taiga.

She remains to be a main character, but she is a main character that acts as a sparkplug or a firestarter to the revelation of truth. As the series slowly concludes, it is difficult to see her beyond a friend to them (much as I regret saying that).
Old 2009-01-31, 09:55   Link #147
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
after almost a month of inactiveness, finally got around to watch this.

Spoiler for ep 17:

ahh--a.. yadda na~ what am i saying.. didn't i say dislike this before?
Old 2009-01-31, 11:54   Link #148
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
She remains to be a main character, but she is a main character that acts as a sparkplug or a firestarter to the revelation of truth. As the series slowly concludes, it is difficult to see her beyond a friend to them (much as I regret saying that).
Yeah.. I like Ami and would like a Ryuji x Ami ending but that may not make sense or even work out. All we are doing now is speculating though.. so let's wait and see.
Old 2009-01-31, 12:28   Link #149
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
I agree with you, but less elitism please. Its not everyone who views the series with the same wisdom as you do.
I never said I had any wisdom, and I'm not being elitist about it either (this is me we're talking about here).

I suppose I should ignore it though, people have been 'mistreating' this show from the start, and they lose out on soooooooo much because of it.

:P

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-01-31, 13:47   Link #150
typhonsentra

By the way, when Minori was sitting on the desk singing in this episode was I the only one who thought of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEF49nMsM8

Last edited by typhonsentra; 2009-01-31 at 15:26.
Old 2009-01-31, 13:48   Link #151
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

There's some discussion earlier about the Guns 'n' Roses reference, but I'm still not satisfied with the interpretation that Ryuuji feels like cussing on the recent developments just like a GnR band member.

What came to my mind with the mention of GnR was their song November Rain, and the song's mention of "a love restrained," "hearts can change" and "friends seem out to harm you" makes me give it some thought.
Old 2009-01-31, 14:33   Link #152
asrielchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
What came to my mind with the mention of GnR was their song November Rain, and the song's mention of "a love restrained," "hearts can change" and "friends seem out to harm you" makes me give it some thought.
I didn't understand the GnR reference either, if it's like what you said then kudos to the script writers... but I seriously doubt that

Btw, after rewatching the OP, I finally notice what Minori's holding in her hand @ 1:35... just another reason for me to love this OP
Old 2009-01-31, 15:25   Link #153
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Not feeling the new OP yet but I did however like the new Ed.

I was wondering if they would play the Kihara card she has been giving off Kitamura vibes for the longest time and its in her best benefit if Taiga and Ryu hook up in a way it selfish but i cant blame her.

Taiga' popularity once again soars through the roof after the fight first it was if you touch her you will granted with love and now she has a fan club after the fight and it went straight to her head lol. That evil laugh of victory as Ryu pushed her inside had me rolling for a bit. Ironically enough Kitamura's confession has turned him into a celebrity as well with even A-chan (we all know who it is) consoling others about love. The whole turn of events is just too damn funny and he even gets to use the schools PA system for his broadcast LMAO.

Taiga being very nice is scary but i love seeing her playful side especially all the stuff about her being angle it was super cute. Also, iv noticed that Taiga looks fantasitc in white i wish they would do it more often. It was sad to hear her say she does not know how to support Minorin anymore but i cant blame her no one can really tell whats going in that girls heard. Plus seeing Minorin all depressed is just freakin creepy.

A little of Ami this episode but not enough for my taste. With the couples only Christmas party approaching i was hoping she would be more aggressive toward Ryu making some sweet sweet drama. But if things keep going the way they are with Ryu and Minorin not talking this would be a good oppertunity for AMi to make her presence known even more

The best of the episode for me was when Kihara mentioned that he Taiga likes Kitamura and even though Ryu knew it hearing someone else state it had a very interesting effect on him. He didnt know what the feeling was but i believe in a way Ryu has been living in denial about Taiga and Kitamura he knew it but passed if off because nothing ever really happen with the situation and he kept taking care of Taiga everyday as usual. But hearing someone else say jolted his senses. It obvious that Ryu's feeling are starting to change a bit and even if he does realize what the feeling is its there and will only grown.

9/10
Old 2009-01-31, 15:26   Link #154
Kikuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrielchase View Post
Btw, after rewatching the OP, I finally notice what Minori's holding in her hand @ 1:35... just another reason for me to love this OP
Could you tell me what it is ? I must be blind cause I really can't see what it is.
Old 2009-01-31, 15:45   Link #155
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:

I'm thirding this.

What show do you think you people are watching?

This is NOT some generic harem comedy. This is Toradora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygod View Post
After re-watching this episode I realized, that seen without context, Taiga behavior towards Ryuuji seems to be outward flirty. All that asking "Do I look like angel?" "Do I look like cupid?" gives strong "look at me, I'm cute!" vibe of girl that wants to be admired. Maybe I'm reading too much into this... But the more I think about it, the more it seems to be intentional.
Exactly. Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
How is that elitism, exactly?
Old 2009-01-31, 16:04   Link #156
asrielchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
Could you tell me what it is ? I must be blind cause I really can't see what it is.
If I tell you it'd be a spoiler It's in novel #8, so we'll probably see it in a couple more episodes.
Old 2009-01-31, 17:03   Link #157
Kikuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrielchase View Post
If I tell you it'd be a spoiler It's in novel #8, so we'll probably see it in a couple more episodes.
Thanks for the warning !
Don't wanna know anymore
Old 2009-01-31, 17:08   Link #158
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
There's some discussion earlier about the Guns 'n' Roses reference, but I'm still not satisfied with the interpretation that Ryuuji feels like cussing on the recent developments just like a GnR band member.

That sounds like a viable explanation but you would need to be an avid and knowledgeable fan to know that. I think it was meant simples as "guns" and "roses" emphasizing the words more so than the band.
Old 2009-01-31, 17:17   Link #159
typhonsentra

It's really annoying they'd throw out a nonsense phrase like that at the end of the episode. They act like it's something we should be able to understand, is Guns N' Roses even that popular in Japan? Are they known for something in particular over there?
Old 2009-01-31, 17:29   Link #160
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
That sounds like a viable explanation but you would need to be an avid and knowledgeable fan to know that. I think it was meant simples as "guns" and "roses" emphasizing the words more so than the band.
The fact that the phrase is in English makes me think it is indeed a reference to the band...

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
It's really annoying they'd throw out a nonsense phrase like that at the end of the episode. They act like it's something we should be able to understand, is Guns N' Roses even that popular in Japan? Are they known for something in particular over there?
Maybe they're Big in Japan. Heh.

Seriously though, we'd probably need a Japanese person to actually answer that question.
Closed Thread