AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2009-05-20, 09:30   Link #1061
Mentar
Banned

Well... as far as I know, only one blogger speculated that due to the length of the Hina-centric arc, she might confess and be rejected. That's the speculation of one guy, nothing more nothing less.

Personally, I'd say that if Hina seriously WOULD confess to Hayate, it would totally shock him. Hard to predict his reaction, but due to the intrinsics of the story, it's impossible for him to accept it at this point of time. (Which wouldn't necessarily mean the end of Hina's chances, but knowing her brittle self-esteem in romantic issues, it would be quite a blow for her).

What I'm pretty sure of is that whatever may or may not happen, it won't "take Hina out". That would cause a real firestorm, and it would somehow be illogical. Why build her up like that, just to crush her? I don't think so. No, I'd say it's more likely that A-Tan or someone else will interrupt their dinner.

What I'd hope to see: In chapter 224, the fundamental obstacles Hina and Hayate need to overcome, are displayed clearly once more. Hayate is unhappy about the fact that he _always_ manages to make Hina angry. He definitely blames himself for this. However, he doesn't realize that Hina's reactions are often enough not rooted in anger, but rather in embarrassment and inner turmoil. When Hayate - to Hina's shock and surprise - explicitly calls her a "cute girl", she turns away, losing control of her facial expression ... she's very literally shaking, fighting her feeling of joy and happiness, and at the same time, her feeling of embarrassment. But to Hayate, she is angry. (This time, an understandable misunderstanding, since she had punched him at the end of 223, and she looks terribly grim even when she claims not to be angry).

This is their quandary at the moment: Hina is terribly unsure and has near-zero confidence about her _girly_ qualities. Hayate is fairly insensitive at times and is stomping on her bare feet there all the time, to Hina's irritation. But at the same time, he confirms that he DOES see her as girly, freaking Hina out with embarrassment and suppressed joy. But she can't express this either. They sure need better communication.

For any lasting progress, two things need to happen:

1) Hina needs to gain confidence in her "girly" worth. She also needs to realize that she is just great the way she is

2) Hayate needs to get the idea that Hina might actually like him. Just the THOUGHT would be enough by now. THIS needs to get into his head. It's obvious that he doesn't want her to hate him (which he believes he inadvertently does all the time). But it's a long way from "I want her to hate me less" to "might she actually like me?"

So, if the next chapter could give us any progress on 1) or 2), I'd be a happy camper. At the least, I'm looking forward to more Hina in an evening dress ^_^

Last edited by Mentar; 2009-05-20 at 09:40.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 13:09   Link #1062
Used Can

I wonder about the possibility of him rejecting her, though. After Aika recommended him that restaurant, he thought "Thanks Aika... no... Love Master." That makes me think he may be into something else, other than just trying to make up with Hina. In addition, he's shown interest in her. I wouldn't expect him to confess anything to her though.

Anyway, even if Hina was to confess to him, I don't think he'd just accept. I believe it'd end up in a similar fashion like when Ayumu gave him that chocolate in Valentine's Day (i.e. she made her feelings for him clear (although, it was her second time doing so), but didn't expect him to give her an immediate answer).

Currently, Hayate's possible love choices seem to come down to Ayumu, Maria and Hinagiku. I wonder what will happen to the status quo once Hayate and Athena meet again. It's been 10 years since they broke-up, but it seems none of them have forgot each other. I remember Hayate even cried once after thinking about her, which means she still may be very dear to him.
Old 2009-05-20, 14:27   Link #1063
Tom Bombadil

About the rejection thing, I was merely translating the comment of the guy who posted the spoilers. Unless he knew something beyond what he posted, it was all speculation based on the length of the Hina arc. At the moment, I am not worried. If it ever happens, Hata might need to hide in the hospital for a few days.

Quote:
At the least, I'm looking forward to more Hina in an evening dress ^_^
Evening dress after Bikini? Hata is going all out for the Hina fans this time.

Quote:
After Aika recommended him that restaurant, he thought "Thanks Aika... no... Love Master."
That's a interesting point. Maybe love does flash in Hayate's heart ocassionally, but it is immediately buried by his extreme low self esteem(due to tragic experience) and insurmountable sense of duty to Nagi.

By the way, Nagi is still the heroine of the show. She appears in every single chapter, after all.

Any guess who is the person wearing high heels in the last scene of 224 ? My bet is on A-tan, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2009-05-20 at 15:15.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 15:19   Link #1064
xellos2099

I read the chinese scan of 224, these basically happen.

Spoiler for scene:
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 15:54   Link #1065
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
She also say it will be SUPER expensive.
she said 高い。

高い(P)【たかい】 (adj-i) (1) (高い only) (ant: 低い) high; tall; (2) expensive; (P)

it could be both.

Expensive? Poor Hayate.
High? Poor Hina.
Both? Great for the readers.
Old 2009-05-20, 16:51   Link #1066
Mentar
Banned

To add 1-2 more details to what Xellos wrote (non-spoilertagged, the chapter is out), what happens between his parts 2) and 3):

[Disclaimer: I'm only a total japanese beginner, but I'm 80% confident about the upcoming parts]

o Hayate is downcast that he ALWAYS manages to make Hina mad

o Hina is turned away and shivering, happy about what Hayate said, but also unsettled that she can't return her blushing deep-red face back to normal... if Hayate would see her like this, it would be so embarrassing that she'd die

o Hayate thinks that he STILL needs to express his gratitude and addresses her again, but when Hina turns around, she wears a frightening grimace. Hayate literally jumps back and apologizes over and over again, while Hina (still with this scary face) insists that she is NOT angry

o Breaking the mood - Hina's stomach growls loudly (something extremely embarrassing in Japanese customs)

o Hayate, brilliant as he is, mentions that Hina is obviously hungry, and then he asks her if _that_ might be the reason why she's so angry

o Hearing that, Hina snaps. "Am I a primary schooler or what?", and with tears in her eyes, she runs away

o Hayate curses to himself. "Dang! Whenever things get really important, she's always running away!", and he starts his pursuit

o Running blindly, Hina curses herself. "Why do I always have to be so uncool? I can't match up with Hayate-kun like this"

Essentially, her reaction reminds me very much of Ayumu's flight from Hina, when she incorrectly assumed that she had unknowingly been trying to commit adultery with Hayate. And heck, her romantic self-esteem is sooooooo brittle... on the other hand, it does make for some real "awww" effect.

Finally: Page 10 of chapter 224 is arguably the sexiest one in the manga so far ... not only with Hayate leaning over Hina in a state of minimal dress, they're not surprised/shocked, but very much aware of each other (dokidoki all around), and in the final panel their faces are very close to each other - definitely closer than they've been before...

It took Aika to separate them in a split second ^_^
Old 2009-05-20, 17:34   Link #1067
xellos2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
she said 高い。

高い(P)【たかい】 (adj-i) (1) (高い only) (ant: 低い) high; tall; (2) expensive; (P)

it could be both.

Expensive? Poor Hayate.
High? Poor Hina.
Both? Great for the readers.
You are right I went back and read it and she say Sunrise Hotel Restaurant is a very popular dating spot and it is "high".
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 20:56   Link #1068
KoroshiyaX
X

ch 224 The last two frames on page 16 (Last Page),
Spoiler:
KoroshiyaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 23:45   Link #1069
Sixth
Hu Tao

Who is A-Tan?

*doing google search*

Oh-shi-..Another potential candidate for Hayate.

Ok....How Hina going to beat her now? She look kinda superior than any girls in Hayate so far.

and is there any good screenshot of her?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 05:39   Link #1070
sr7olsniper
Urzu 0

Its not a matter of beating anybody. One thing is for sure though, as soon as Athena pops out and Hayate sees her, he will go WWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
and then Hina will probably be like huh?!?! and that will probably end that chapter to leave us with a crazy clifhanger.
sr7olsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 13:45   Link #1071
l o o p
Athenafag

If A-Tan shows when Hayate and Hina are in the restaurant, I think I will have an orgasm.
l o o p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 14:17   Link #1072
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Any guess who is the person wearing high heels in the last scene of 224 ? My bet is on A-tan, but I could be wrong.
Those high heels don't looks like Athena's. Check chapter 219 to compare. Athena's heels seem to be higher, and cover her feet less. The ones shown in chapter 224 covered that person's feet entirely. Additionally, Athena's way of speaking is very formal, and it's almost as polite as Maria's. The person speaking in chapter 224 had a playful way of speaking, and it wasn't precisely formal.
Old 2009-05-21, 19:29   Link #1073
Cylf

Spoiler for Hina and Hayate, iono...:

Spoiler for Whole story plot stuff:
Cylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 20:41   Link #1074
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylf View Post
Spoiler for Whole story plot stuff:
Hmm... I think that's quite a wrong approach regarding the girls. First of all, the other girls don't live with him; so, they cannot know about things like him wanting to go to school. Anyway, disregarding that, Hina and Ayumu have tried to be as helpful to Hayate as much as they can Both of them, particularly Hina, have helped him many times and not necessarily with romantic intentions (e.g. Hinagiku, in one of the latest chapters, even wondered to herself if she wanted to be loved by Hayate, or if she wanted to help him.) So, saying some girls care about him and that others don't means you should probably reread the manga.

Regarding Athena manipulating Hayate, I believe that's another terrible approach to the characters. When Athena found Hayate, he was devastated after finding himself being constantly betrayed by his own parents. It cannot be denied that Hayate's appearance in the Royal Garden was a good thing for her, since it seems she was alone before that. However, when she realised Hayate really wanted to see his parents she allowed him to return. Obviously, originally, she was reluctant on allowing him to, but she explained her reason - she didn't want him to be hurt by his parents again. The fight they had was due to a misunderstanding in which both of them were equally at fault.

As for the first point, although an ending in which Hayate ends up as Nagi's butler and lives with her and Maria as a family can be regarded as a good end, depending on how one sees it, it can also be regarded as a failure. Despite him being a good butler, and caring a lot about Nagi, Hayate has mentioned he has dreams of his own. There's a life he wants to build by himself. He became Nagi's butler in order to pay the huge debt of his parents. Working for Nagi is basically living to pay that debt. I think Mikado told him that much once (I'm not sure if he did that in the first season of the anime, or in the manga), and that's quite true.

I think there are different possible ways in which this manga can end, that can be considered good ends, and that don't require him to end up as Nagi's butler, and even less as her romantic interest.

Personally, I like all the girls in this manga (although, I won't deny I like some girls more than others). Therefore, I hope the way in which this manga ends is written in a way in which it wraps properly the story - in terms of themes and romances. I wouldn't want Hata to pic one particular ending just to follow a common pattern in most stories. I think this manga has been developed quite properly so far; so, I'm hoping for the best.

P.S.: I really dislike writing blocks of text.
Old 2009-05-22, 01:01   Link #1075
9taileddemon

I am just going to put my own personal view on the relationship between Nagi and Hayate out there as well as my ideal ending.

I still think that regardless of what happens he will remain Nagi's butler. His only real wish is that he just wants to have a life where he doesn't always have to worry about money and being followed by debt collectors. His "dream" of owning his own house is basically his way of saying that he just wants to live a life that he can control and not have to constantly worry about how he will get by for the next day.

Being Nagi's butler is a way of fulfilling that dream. He has an actual job and even though he has a huge debt, he has pretty good control of his life. He just has to continue working, learning, and helping Nagi for the next 40 years. While that seems harsh, compared to a life where he and his horrible parents were always on the verge of having no money or food it is actually a blessing.

Also, Hayate has shown that being a butler has become an integral part of his life. He truly wishes to help Nagi as much as he can. This was shown pretty well in the first season of the anime and has been shown through various moments of the manga. Even when he is given chances to pay off his debt he does not think "Oh now I can live my own life" instead he thinks "I do not have to continue burdening my ojo-sama with all the money I borrowed."

I truly do not think there will be a Hayate/Nagi ending. They just don't mesh well enough in a romantic sense. Hayate is like Nagi's main pillar of support while Hayate wishes to do anything he can to help her but still does not like her romantically. I have always felt that in a way the main character of Hayate the Combat Butler is actually Nagi. At the very least in terms of personal development she takes the award. (Hina is a close second.) Throughout the series she has slowly been pushing past her comfort zone and joining the rest of the world more often. So I feel that her final development will be finally letting go of this obsession she has with Hayate.

Near the end I think what might happen is that Hayate will decide to go out with one of the girls, Nagi will be super hurt and may even finally find out that Hayate intended to kidnap her at the beginning, not profess his love. Hayate will probably be fired (again) and Nagi will go into a depression. However after a few chapters she might finally understand that every time Hayate promised to stay with her for the rest of his life, it was not meant romantically. So even if his heart isn't turned towards hers romantically, he will still remain with her.

Then we will have a nice ending with whoever he chooses still being with him and yet he will remain as Nagi's butler.

However, the only way this would work out is if my view on Nagi's feelings are correct. I just believe that Nagi is extremely similar to Nishizawa. She doesn't NEED to be loved by Hayate, though of course she wants to be, but she feels she still NEEDS him to be a part of her life. Again, he is her pillar of support and the person who helps her develop as a character and she needs him to be there for her but she doesn't NEED the romantic feelings.

Just my 3 cents.

9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 02:51   Link #1076
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
I am just going to put my own personal view on the relationship between Nagi and Hayate out there as well as my ideal ending.

I still think that regardless of what happens he will remain Nagi's butler. His only real wish is that he just wants to have a life where he doesn't always have to worry about money and being followed by debt collectors. His "dream" of owning his own house is basically his way of saying that he just wants to live a life that he can control and not have to constantly worry about how he will get by for the next day.

Being Nagi's butler is a way of fulfilling that dream. He has an actual job and even though he has a huge debt, he has pretty good control of his life. He just has to continue working, learning, and helping Nagi for the next 40 years. While that seems harsh, compared to a life where he and his horrible parents were always on the verge of having no money or food it is actually a blessing.

Also, Hayate has shown that being a butler has become an integral part of his life. He truly wishes to help Nagi as much as he can. This was shown pretty well in the first season of the anime and has been shown through various moments of the manga. Even when he is given chances to pay off his debt he does not think "Oh now I can live my own life" instead he thinks "I do not have to continue burdening my ojo-sama with all the money I borrowed."

I truly do not think there will be a Hayate/Nagi ending. They just don't mesh well enough in a romantic sense. Hayate is like Nagi's main pillar of support while Hayate wishes to do anything he can to help her but still does not like her romantically. I have always felt that in a way the main character of Hayate the Combat Butler is actually Nagi. At the very least in terms of personal development she takes the award. (Hina is a close second.) Throughout the series she has slowly been pushing past her comfort zone and joining the rest of the world more often. So I feel that her final development will be finally letting go of this obsession she has with Hayate.

Near the end I think what might happen is that Hayate will decide to go out with one of the girls, Nagi will be super hurt and may even finally find out that Hayate intended to kidnap her at the beginning, not profess his love. Hayate will probably be fired (again) and Nagi will go into a depression. However after a few chapters she might finally understand that every time Hayate promised to stay with her for the rest of his life, it was not meant romantically. So even if his heart isn't turned towards hers romantically, he will still remain with her.

Then we will have a nice ending with whoever he chooses still being with him and yet he will remain as Nagi's butler.

However, the only way this would work out is if my view on Nagi's feelings are correct. I just believe that Nagi is extremely similar to Nishizawa. She doesn't NEED to be loved by Hayate, though of course she wants to be, but she feels she still NEEDS him to be a part of her life. Again, he is her pillar of support and the person who helps her develop as a character and she needs him to be there for her but she doesn't NEED the romantic feelings.

Just my 3 cents.
Umm, seriousness in Hayate? Can't imagine it lol, though that would be good way to end the series. But considering past chapters, there's a possibility they're just going to end this series with one big punchline or something that make you laugh :P
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 02:54   Link #1077
Used Can

I think your idea is basically what most of us are actually expecting as an end for HnG. Although, to expand on it, you could say that given that scenario (Hayate remaining as Nagi's butler), the best possible romantic choice for him would be Maria. Hayate has been like a father to her, and Maria has been pretty much like her mother (hell, she's sacred to Nagi). So, you could have some sort of family end.
Old 2009-05-22, 06:30   Link #1078
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I think your idea is basically what most of us are actually expecting as an end for HnG. Although, to expand on it, you could say that given that scenario (Hayate remaining as Nagi's butler), the best possible romantic choice for him would be Maria. Hayate has been like a father to her, and Maria has been pretty much like her mother (hell, she's sacred to Nagi). So, you could have some sort of family end.
But this is exactly why I'm kinda doubtful here. Nagi literally flipped out those few times in which she believed that Hayate might be coming on to Maria, usually with violent hammer strokes against Hayate. To lose her lover to her surrogate mother, AND keep living together happily? Somehow I have a hard time picturing this...

Her reaction was different when she considered Hayate with people other than Maria. Picturing him with Hinagiku caused her to be fearful and apprehensive (right from the start she felt that she "can't win against Hinagiku"), but not as violently negative. Ayumu has a strange rival-like friendship going with her, here she was always confident...

My point is that for a non-Nagi ending, she needs to willingly "release" him to the destined girl. It won't be a non-amiable splitup. And for this "release", she either needs to find someone else (but who? Kazuki? Wataru is a no-go. Himegami?!), or she needs to grow up first. And then we'll see.
Old 2009-05-22, 12:53   Link #1079
Tom Bombadil

Soiler pic of ch225.

Not sure that I should be happy or sad that none of my expectations comes true.

Spoiler for ch225:
Old 2009-05-22, 14:32   Link #1080
Used Can

Did the Sister always use short skirts? Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Her reaction was different when she considered Hayate with people other than Maria.
I don't think her reaction with Maria was different because she didn't like the idea of losing Hayate to her, but because for her Maria is untouchable for anyone. Maria is hers and no one else's. Honestly, I've always thought if Nagi had to choose between Maria and Hayate, she'd pick Maria.

Anyway, the whole Hayate ending up with Maria would have to follow what you said in a previous post - that Nagi would have to accept Hayate never saw her as a romantic interest, and that she should be fine with whatever Hayate does. If she grows up that much, then a Maria end should be possible, and that way it'd be even better for Nagi, since not only would she have grown up, but she would be getting a new family, so to say.

I'm not saying there aren't other possibilities, I'm just trying to point out that particular scenario is quite possible.

Tags
comedy, shounen