AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-19, 18:37   Link #161
herbert

I wonder if you know what you said.

Logical story progression is to have Nodame replacing Rui? Only logical if you look only for a dramatic moment. It means 1) throwing all Rui's developments in ep 2 & 3 out of window; 2) Auclair doesn't know what is best for Nodame.

Last edited by herbert; 2010-02-19 at 18:52.
herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 21:36   Link #162
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
I wonder if you know what you said.

Logical story progression is to have Nodame replacing Rui? Only logical if you look only for a dramatic moment.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. Nodame and Chiaki are the central characters of the story. The story is ending. Logically, you want to bring your two central characters to a big moment that feels like an ending, or at least the turning of the page to a new chapter.

There are lots of ways to do that. You could, for example, have someone crash an airplane into the concert hall during Chiaki's performance, and have everybody die. The end. I wouldn't recommend that, but it is an ending.

Bringing Chiaki, Nodame, and everyone else as well, to a point where Nodame plays the concert with Chiaki is another way to bring about that kind of conclusion. One that is much better than the airplane crashing option, and is also much more likely.

Are those two options the only ones available? Of course not. There are infinitely many more, and some of them are probably even better. But at this moment, that's the direction my story-sense tells me things are heading in.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 21:52   Link #163
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I said. Nodame and Chiaki are the central characters of the story. The story is ending. Logically, you want to bring your two central characters to a big moment that feels like an ending, or at least the turning of the page to a new chapter.

There are lots of ways to do that. You could, for example, have someone crash an airplane into the concert hall during Chiaki's performance, and have everybody die. The end. I wouldn't recommend that, but it is an ending.

Bringing Chiaki, Nodame, and everyone else as well, to a point where Nodame plays the concert with Chiaki is another way to bring about that kind of conclusion. One that is much better than the airplane crashing option, and is also much more likely.

Are those two options the only ones available? Of course not. There are infinitely many more, and some of them are probably even better. But at this moment, that's the direction my story-sense tells me things are heading in.
That's a thought for sure.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-19, 21:58   Link #164
herbert

I am not questioning whom are the main characters. I am questioning how is the progression logical when it destroys buildups and plot threads of earlier episodes. Try to answer two questions: 1) does the replacement undermine Rui's developments? 2) do you think Auclair has wrong idea in Nodame's education?

Logical ending is not necessary to be a big bang, and both of them are world famous. The series only needs Nodame has a correct attitude towards music and Chiaki has a correct attitude towards Nodame. Epic is too much, bravo is good enough.

Spoiler:

Last edited by herbert; 2010-02-19 at 22:13.
herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 22:45   Link #165
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Try to answer two questions: 1) does the replacement undermine Rui's developments? 2) do you think Auclair has wrong idea in Nodame's education?
As for #1, that depends on what "Rui's developments" are. She may not be going in the direction you think she is. Personally, I think Rui and Nodame each have something to learn from the other, and whatever happens with this concert will probably give each one the opportunity to do that learning.

As for #2, we don't really know the full extent of what Auclair thinks. We see what he does and we hear what he says, but we have no clue to what's going on inside his head. It looks a bit like he's trying to teach Nodame to be more like Rui and Rui to be more like Nodame, and there's really no reason why that can't fit into the concert storyline as well.
Old 2010-02-19, 22:58   Link #166
herbert

Alright, I guess it's the difference between manga-reader and anime-only-watcher so I will let this settle.
Old 2010-02-19, 23:23   Link #167
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Alright, I guess it's the difference between manga-reader and anime-only-watcher so I will let this settle.
Ummm... yes. I'm flying blind here. No manga to light the way. That's cheating.
Old 2010-02-19, 23:32   Link #168
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Spoiler:
You think there's only one place at the top? What about Stresseman and Viera? Both Nodame and Rui can be successful. They're not really competing against each other.
Old 2010-02-20, 00:02   Link #169
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You think there's only one place at the top? What about Stresseman and Viera? Both Nodame and Rui can be successful. They're not really competing against each other.
At top or not is not my main point. You notice people talked was not how girls compete each other but how Nodame's fortune could be built on Rui's mishap. Some accident must fall on Rui so to pass the concert to Nodame and no one cared about such accident might affect Rui physically and mentally. It seems that Rui is just so cheap and expensable.

Myself is a Nodame fan, I want Nodame well and happy. However, I don't want Nodame's happiness upon others' misfortune, and paying no attention. If Rui chooses the piece because she knows Nodame likes, it's OK to trash her. But in this case, it's purely coincidence (the piece has been chosen before Nodame knows it). How noble to say "may something bad happen to Rui so Nodame can have an epic chance?"
Old 2010-02-20, 06:28   Link #170
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 06:
Old 2010-02-20, 07:59   Link #171
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Episode 6

Episode 6:

Great, great. But it does raise more questions than it answers.

Spoiler:

Last edited by aliensporebomb; 2010-02-20 at 08:28. Reason: Edit
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 14:25   Link #172
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Episode 6 is my favourite of the season so far. The return of the domestic violence ! It's been a while since Nodame and Chiaki spend such intimate moments together, I missed that. The tidbits about Chopin were nice, as well as the talk about the Beethoven pieces, though I must admit some of it kinda went over my head

And I'm happy about the fact they didn't make a HUGE drama out of the "Ravel dilemma". Nodame's reaction was pretty mature, she isn't as much of a bebe as some think after all, at least not anymore. This whole episode proved that.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 14:58   Link #173
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
And I'm happy about the fact they didn't make a HUGE drama out of the "Ravel dilemma". Nodame's reaction was pretty mature, she isn't as much of a bebe as some think after all, at least not anymore. This whole episode proved that.
Spoiler for just to be safe:
Old 2010-02-20, 16:03   Link #174
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Spoiler for just to be safe:
Is this a manga spoiler? I didn't get the impression Nodame thought of it like that at all in this episode... but maybe I just missed the hints.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 17:49   Link #175
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Is this a manga spoiler? I didn't get the impression Nodame thought of it like that at all in this episode... but maybe I just missed the hints.
There's a chance that topic could come up next episode, going by the preview. Hard to say.
Old 2010-02-21, 12:02   Link #176
Kirarakim

Quote:
I really liked this part too. It wasn't what I was expecting but it's nice to show that Nodame has grown.

I also really like how selfless Chiaki was in this episode (maybe even too selfless) canceling his Italy trip to help Nodame work on her music. I guess I kind of agree with Nodame though that she needs to figure out this stuff on her own (and Chiaki has his own work to worry about) but I think she didn't have to get so angry at him. After all he was just trying to help her and when it comes to music Chiaki can't help but get absorbed like that.

And being the fangirl that I am I completeley squeed at this

Spoiler for Images:
Old 2010-02-21, 12:43   Link #177
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

You know, i feel like hitting myself for forgetting to talk about
Spoiler for episode 06:

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-02-21 at 13:01.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 13:00   Link #178
Kirarakim

You know I am a lot like Chiaki. I can't predict when Nodame will be upset at him. I think she will be upset at him over skipping her recital to go off with his teacher. I think she will be upset over the Rui thing. Instead she gets over these things rather quickly. Instead she is upset at Chiaki when he helps her too much.

I guess Nodame is just unpredictable like that.
Old 2010-02-21, 20:22   Link #179
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think her reactions to both Chiaki missing the recital and Chiaki helping out were based on a growing sense of self-worth and professional development. Recall she accepted Chiaki missing the recital because she thought (rightly) that he had a professional reason for his decision. Now she objects to Chiaki treating her like a project because she views herself as a proto-professional and expects to be seen the same way. As much as she might enjoy spending time with Chiaki working on her music, she doesn't want to return to the roles they both had in Japan. She wants him to treat her as a professional, and her entreaties to Chiaki to practice his own music indicates she intends to treat him the same way, kiss or no kiss.

Does anyone think "anything else" happened after the kiss? In our household the consensus was no.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 21:14   Link #180
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think her reactions to Chiaki helping out were based on a growing sense of self-worth and professional development.
I agree there's something about that, but I don't think that's the main reason. I mean, isn't people overlooking what Nodame herself said? She described herself as a turtle and Chiaki as a rabbit and all that... so, her reaction seems more about her inferiority complex (which is a known issue of hers) than any professional ethics.

It's funny how Nodame doesn't know the extent of her own talent. She thinks she's slow to understand things while Chiaki (and Rui) seems to do it naturally. But she's wrong. While Chiaki and Rui are extremely gifted musicians, Nodame is a prodigy. She isn't at the level just because she lost many years of practice during her childhood. That's why Nodame is such an interesting character. She struggles to catch up to Chiaki, believing herself just a student, a nobody. She doesn't realize that if she was just a student, then catching up to the likes of Chiaki and Rui would be more than impossible. She's as clueless about herself as she is about Auclair...

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2010-02-21 at 23:01.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina