AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-07-25, 01:24   Link #61
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The average reading level (at least in the US) has dropped another grade level to ninth grade in the last decade. This is bad enough but the average written literacy of the Congress has fallen to the *eighth* grade (based on their written communications and speeches).

Hopefully, you're in a country that cares more
Sadly, I'm not. Within America, I'm from the state with the worst education system in the country, California.

I'll probably hide somewhere in Japan or something after my contract is up. Hopefully, I'll be able able to calm down in a nation that actually wants the populace to be smarter than a bag of rocks.
Old 2012-07-25, 05:39   Link #62
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Sadly, I'm not. Within America, I'm from the state with the worst education system in the country, California.

I'll probably hide somewhere in Japan or something after my contract is up. Hopefully, I'll be able able to calm down in a nation that actually wants the populace to be smarter than a bag of rocks.
As I said, you'll probably find more smarts in the officer corps.

I was on exchange in Virginia tech for a year, and found their cadets to be smart, diligent, and all round sound people. If anything, they seemed smarter then most of "normal" students, and a heck of alot more diligent.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 01:05   Link #63
Sumeragi
Banned

What's your Profession/your planned course to take up in college?
- Sales. Was an Economics/International Studies double major, with a certificate in military studies.

Your Current Status.
- Sales Executive, Board Member.

What made you choose it?
- Among other things, relative offered a job in sales, moved up.

Are you happy with it?
- It's not bad, so it works out for me.

How do you see yourself in the future?
- Probably becoming a lawyer or politician.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 01:15   Link #64
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Politician eh? wow, we will be seeing you in TV soon!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 02:15   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Politician eh? wow, we will be seeing you in TV soon!
Stalker!!!
Old 2012-09-15, 02:29   Link #66
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Isn't selling your soul a mandatory procedure for both lawyers and politicians?
Old 2012-09-15, 02:35   Link #67
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Isn't selling your soul a mandatory procedure for both lawyers and politicians?
I wanted to be a criminal lawyer....if I have the money for the qualification.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 02:44   Link #68
Seitsuki
Onee!

Education is now a business. If you have the funds to invest in a piece of paper it's a ticket to higher earnings for no reason whatsoever. Learning is optional. Talking with friends who have graduated, they say most of the stuff they needed to cram for exams is useless and 90% of need to know is picked up on the job. Hell, I don't remember most of the crap I've learnt the past few years.

Still.. criminal law? Makes sense. You'll need to know all you can and learn up on all the loopholes to be fully prepared when your curious ways around lolis finally catches up with you.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:04   Link #69
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Education is now a business. If you have the funds to invest in a piece of paper it's a ticket to higher earnings for no reason whatsoever. Learning is optional. Talking with friends who have graduated, they say most of the stuff they needed to cram for exams is useless and 90% of need to know is picked up on the job. Hell, I don't remember most of the crap I've learnt the past few years.

Still.. criminal law? Makes sense. You'll need to know all you can and learn up on all the loopholes to be fully prepared when your curious ways around lolis finally catches up with you.
I see myself more likely helping Sume-nee fighting off allegations of stabling shotas in SEA than me fighting off allegations of mistrustful adoption of young girls.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:15   Link #70
Seitsuki
Onee!

Considering your position though.. isn't it far more likely you'd end up in the witness stand instead?
Old 2012-09-15, 03:19   Link #71
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Considering your position though.. isn't it far more likely you'd end up in the witness stand instead?
Then both of us will have to take turns at the witness stand at each others' prosecution instead.

Old 2012-09-15, 03:20   Link #72
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Regarding for what I do for a living, let's just say they pay me to slack off for 10 hours a day.

To help me fight off bordom, I get access to all the free mangas in physical copies I can read and take the occassional games home for sampling purposes. Free Wireless helps too. The only tradeoff is the low wages.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 03:23   Link #73
Seitsuki
Onee!

I'm neutral. Jury duty would suit me far better.

On which note you're guilty. I don't know, of everything.
Old 2012-09-15, 11:26   Link #74
Dextro
He Without a Title

- I'm a software developer with a bachelor's degree in software engineer

Your Current Status.
- I'm currently working for a small startup that develops software for other businesses and will start a Post-grad after work in a couple of weeks.

What made you choose it?
- I wanted to make videogames like many other kids but ended up discovering that I love the technologies that make the web tick.

Are you happy with it?
- Can't say I am. While I have a kickass work environment I would rather make software for the regular joe than for people working at other companies. I just don't feel fulfilled doing what I currently do: the technologies we use are the usual safe, old ones and when the customer is another company instead of people there's hardly any feeling of accomplishment when a suit at the other end tells you that your work does what a committee wanted.

- In the next couple of years I'll be working on my post-grad and possibly a master thesis but afterwards I'm considering leaving for a different EU country. The software development industry here just isn't tackling many interesting problems and seems perfectly happy doing tailor-made software for other companies instead.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:05   Link #75
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I wanted to be a financial analyst initially, until I dropped out due to inability to pay further fees. Then everything else starts to look pretty fun and tempting, like Engineering and Law.

Your Current Status.

Freelancer. I have a couple of industry licenses, alongside a ridiculous set of experience working part-time and ad-hoc in many different places, mostly tech related. Planning to get a CCNA then driving license to augment my resume.

What made you choose it?
I love personal freedom. And I enjoy spending it doing nothing but "liberal arts" stuff (probably the same reason why I love characters like Shiori/Minerva from Kaminomi).

Are you happy with it?
Not really. The pay isn't stable, I am getting old, and I still earn less than $3k per month.

Financially free enough to open my own otaku-themed restaurant somewhere else. Or be a General Advisor for tech and finance - planning and problem-solving are very fun activities.

Old 2012-09-15, 12:18   Link #76
willx
Nyaaan~~

It's probably about time I get less vague about what I do since everyone else is self-disclosing.. I work in what is currently one of the most hated professions in the world.. I am an Investment Banker.

- I'm a junior/mid-level investment banker in Canada. I work on "Bay Street"
- I'm a business school Finance major with no minor, although I did take a significant amount of PoliSci, History and Classical Studies courses. (Asian Studies, Chinese/Japanese History, Greek Lit.)

Your Current Status.
- Currently I work advising large corporate clients in "Special Situations" such as financial distress or situations where refinancings, recapitalizations and restructurings are necessary.
- I previously worked in Equity Capital Markets and as a Generalist covering a variety of industries on the West Coast (Vancouver, Canada).
- So keep in mind that I had and have nothing to do with the financial crisis. I never made any bets in the market and I operate in Canada where we have the safest banks in the world .. apparently.

What made you choose it?
- Honestly? For the money. For lack of a kinder way of saying it .. I grew up impoverished. I also became very disgruntled and ungrateful for what my immigrant parents managed to accomplish .. but after I got out of highschool and faced the "real world" the rebelliousness stopped and the ice in my veins solidified. I got my act together, cut my hair and dyed it back black and "applied myself"

Are you happy with it?
- I have mixed feelings. I usually work stupidly long hours. 70-110 hours a week. So life really sucks at times. I also make a stupidly large amount of money. Also, the markets have been terrible lately and which surprisingly has not been good for business so now it's super slow.
- I work with some of the smartest most driven people I have ever had the privilege to meet which is great. The flip side is it's like swimming with sharks everyday.

- We'll see.. I've built up a decent nest egg of savings and I know I can't keep up this pace of work forever. I don't hate my job per say.. so I could see myself continuing to do something similar in the future.. Maybe Private Equity, Private Debt, Venture Capital .. Although it'd be interesting to work with a more global focus, like International Trade Finance in Singapore or maybe get a duo-JD/MBA and specialize in Financial + Legal Restructurings.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 12:45   Link #77
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
It's probably about time I get less vague about what I do since everyone else is self-disclosing.. I work in what is currently one of the most hated professions in the world.. I am an Investment Banker.

- I'm a junior/mid-level investment banker in Canada. I work on "Bay Street"
- I'm a business school Finance major with no minor, although I did take a significant amount of PoliSci, History and Classical Studies courses. (Asian Studies, Chinese/Japanese History, Greek Lit.)

Your Current Status.
- Currently I work advising large corporate clients in "Special Situations" such as financial distress or situations where refinancings, recapitalizations and restructurings are necessary.
- I previously worked in Equity Capital Markets and as a Generalist covering a variety of industries on the West Coast (Vancouver, Canada).
- So keep in mind that I had and have nothing to do with the financial crisis. I never made any bets in the market and I operate in Canada where we have the safest banks in the world .. apparently.

What made you choose it?
- Honestly? For the money. For lack of a kinder way of saying it .. I grew up impoverished. I also became very disgruntled and ungrateful for what my immigrant parents managed to accomplish .. but after I got out of highschool and faced the "real world" the rebelliousness stopped and the ice in my veins solidified. I got my act together, cut my hair and dyed it back black and "applied myself"

Are you happy with it?
- I have mixed feelings. I usually work stupidly long hours. 70-110 hours a week. So life really sucks at times. I also make a stupidly large amount of money. Also, the markets have been terrible lately and which surprisingly has not been good for business so now it's super slow.
- I work with some of the smartest most driven people I have ever had the privilege to meet which is great. The flip side is it's like swimming with sharks everyday.

- We'll see.. I've built up a decent nest egg of savings and I know I can't keep up this pace of work forever. I don't hate my job per say.. so I could see myself continuing to do something similar in the future.. Maybe Private Equity, Private Debt, Venture Capital .. Although it'd be interesting to work with a more global focus, like International Trade Finance in Singapore or maybe get a duo-JD/MBA and specialize in Financial + Legal Restructurings.
If your nest-egg is a six-figure sum with a digit of 2 or more at the front, have you ever thought of doing something that is FUN for you? Something you would do everyday regardless of the cost?

Chuck half of it in diversified investments to earn a self-sustainable income, and set up a business doing something that you like. There are SpecOps operators who liked their line as much as personal freedom that they become security advisors for EP details, sailors who saw the messy world for years and desired peace that they built buddhist shrines for themselves in another part of the world, property agents who got tired of running around that they are planning to open a dessert stand at a hawker centre........the list goes on.

And I met all these people while working in the various places, even though as part time, these old men's grandfather stories are actually worth listening to. Being a freelancer, despite the cons of having a lousy volatile income, isn't that bad after all.

Old 2012-09-15, 12:48   Link #78
Shijin
Artistic Muse

What's your Profession
Freelance Writer / Poet / Author
Your Current Status?
Student - I get my degree in December! ^_^
What made you choose it?
I love writing. I pretty much write 24/7.
Are you happy with it?
I am very happy with it even though a lot of multi-tasking is involved in order to make some money.
Getting my first novel published.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:51   Link #79
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
i plan to run for office in about 15 to 20 yrs.

after calculating how much it takes to retire comfortable without having to work at MacDonald to walmart. The best retirement plan i cam with is sticking a straw into the public pension plan for health care and retirement benefits.
Old 2012-09-15, 13:03   Link #80
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Pharmacy

Your Current Status.

Community Pharmacy Pre-reg student. Graduated from Uni about two months ago.

What made you choose it?

Couldn't get into Medicine. XP

Are you happy with it?

Not really. The work in community pharmacy is horribly repetitive and unrewarding but at least the pharmacy itself is decent since there's a good environment and the staff are nice. I've worked at far worse pharmacies.

Hopefully I'll be able to switch sectors into Hospital pharmacy as soon as possible after I finish my pre reg year. (A profession I can actually admire, even if the pay isn't as good)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote