Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
in all sincerity, we should just call them airhead and bigboobed airhead
According to the Head Maid it should be "Useless Meat Airhead"
Old 2012-01-05, 21:50   Link #242
Anjou

Hello, Anjou here. I primarily use another name in my works, but here I'm Anjou. I work on the Comp Ace's version of mmy, so I'll give a little bit of insight as to why we picked which name.

Every name was picked in a pretty crude way. ruggia, our translator, dumps a bunch of names out and we just throw out the bad-sounding ones or suggest new names. If I remember correctly, one of the names suggested was Queen of Demons. Eight chapters later and it's pretty obvious that wasn't used

But what about Demon Lord? Since I can barely remember our discussion on Demon Queen's name, I can only speculate what happened if it was brought up. Frankly, I would've crossed it out immediately. C'mon, Demon Lord? For a queen? Just name her queen and be done with it.

Hey hey, and Maou? That's an easy one. I hate TL notes. They are ugly, time-wasting, and I'm not a weeaboo. Simply put, it's not kawaii enough.

You can argue that if that's the case, then why not translate everything, including the title? That wouldn't sound as sugoi though!

Plus, instead of Archdragon whatever, you'll have sugoidolagon. That's just not as kawaii, you know?

Code:
TL Note: Kawaii means cute. Sugoi means OH MAI GAWD AWEFLKANEFAWLKFNA
The 4-koma is a massive, massive time sink. I hate working on it. You guys better read it and have a laugh

Got a question about anything behind-the-scenes? Feel free to throw it out here.
Anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 23:00   Link #243
Athena
The Power of One

LeaD36, Xellos, I kinda agree with you guys...

Thanks for the info, Anjou.
Old 2012-01-06, 00:48   Link #244
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Hi Anjou. I'm glad to know one of the staff working on Comp Ace's Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is joining us. As you probably know, we're having a discussion of whether the main female character's name in TVTropes should stay as it's Japanese name "Maou" or the accepted translated english name by fans, "Demon Queen".

I was very surprise on your opinion against using the original Japanese name since it was very "weeaboo"( Never though i hear this word again for a long time). So in your opinion, should the character just be name "Demon Queen" or another name? I hope for your answer.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:54   Link #245
Anjou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I was very surprise on your opinion against using the original Japanese name since it was very "weeaboo"( Never though i hear this word again for a long time). So in your opinion, should the character just be name "Demon Queen" or another name? I hope for your answer.
I'd definitely use Demon Queen. It's the more known term (I had no idea Maou = Queen, tbh), and like I said, if you leave it untranslated, all other names, for consistency sake, must also be left in untranslated (eg. Hero -> Yuusha).

I can see why some may prefer Maou over Demon Queen though. You can make excellent arguments for both sides.
If you still can't decide, toss a coin and let chance do its magic just remember to be consistent though~
Old 2012-01-06, 15:01   Link #246
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
ou is the general term for queen/king, ma means demon, sorta
or atleast that's what i pieced together by watching ichiban ushiro no dai maou
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 15:13   Link #247
Athena
The Power of One

Didn't know that "Ou" could be used for "queen" though.
Old 2012-01-06, 18:39   Link #248
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

well maou should mean demon king imho, not demon queen
perhaps demon emperor would be a better translation? i got no idea
Old 2012-01-06, 21:17   Link #249
Athena
The Power of One

Demon emperor sounds a bit...hum...specific?
Old 2012-01-06, 21:19   Link #250
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

My thinking is I expect the best translation as possible but there is the fact that not everything can be, as not everything works as well in english as it does in japanese, so in that case best going with what works best in english as it's for english readers.
Demon Queen is best, Demon Lord works well enough but Demon King not so much.
There are times when going with "simple" is the best way and I'd say this was one of them times and the simple way here is Demon Queen
Old 2012-01-07, 04:26   Link #251
Anjou

Scanlating means translating relevant Japanese into English in a way that minimizes the effort required by the reader to understand the material. In a way, like Bonta Kun said, simple is usually the best way, but not always.
DUH!
That's pretty damn obvious, but let me give some concrete examples.

Spoiler for Example 1:

It's easy to guess from the context of the other panels what the SFX is, but I asked anyway (I can't read moonrunes). Apparently, the SFX describes a buzzing sound. In this particular school, the bell is played through the PA system as a buzz.

Now, if I went ahead and typesetted "Buzz buzz" into the panel, most of you will probably be scratching your heads. Although I attended three high schools and two had the buzz system, I know that the majority will use the tried-and-true mechanical ring ring ring ding ding ding bell system.

In this case, the correct typeset would in fact be "Ring ring" or "ding dong", depending on your mood.

You can make strong argument that the "more correct" line is buzz buzz. Do you want to preserve Japanese to the fullest, or do you want readers to absorb your work a little easier?

Fun fact: I left the Japanese alone.

Spoiler for Example 2:

For these few lines, we had to use the "-dono" suffix and add a tl note since there's no substitute in English. If we bulldozed it out, the meaning would've been lost.

Personally, I hate tl notes.

So there you have it. I hope this settles this name issue. I understand that translating a light novel is completely different, so you might be right in picking Maou over Demon Queen. I don't know since I never worked on a LN before :S
Old 2012-01-07, 07:42   Link #252
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjou
The 4-koma is a massive, massive time sink.
How come? Unclean raws? Barely readable original Japanese font?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjou
Apparently, the SFX describes a buzzing sound. In this particular school, the bell is played through the PA system as a buzz.

Now, if I went ahead and typesetted "Buzz buzz" into the panel, most of you will probably be scratching your heads. Although I attended three high schools and two had the buzz system, I know that the majority will use the tried-and-true mechanical ring ring ring ding ding ding bell system.

In this case, the correct typeset would in fact be "Ring ring" or "ding dong", depending on your mood.
Actually, it is literally a drawn out "kin kon," a bell sound used by just about every Japanese high school out there (one can hear it sometimes in school-setting anime). Something very similar exists in many US high schools as well.

So your typesetting some sort of bell sound is much closer than buzz buzz or whatever. Honestly buzz buzz would just make people go, wut. Where are the bees?

Albeit, although you said you hate TL notes, I'm usually of the opinion that big SFX sounds drawn over the panel are better left untranslated or explained by the briefest of notes (*Bell). It means you guys don't have to bother cleaning, redrawing, and typesetting all that stuff, too!

Of course, for consistency's sake if you translate smaller SFX notes (a little "mu" next to a character = pout :<) you might feel like you need to do it for the big ones as well.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 08:52   Link #253
Mentar
Banned

Anjou, I've been working in the fansubbing scene for 10 years - so I've experienced discussions of this kind more than once - and for what little it's worth, I agree with your decision to go with Demon Queen 100%. Thanks for your efforts. Your translations flow very well.

Addressing a female with "King" in English would be a typical case of a failed translation, because it would introduce a new and wrong connotation (the speaker negates the femininity of the one addressed) which doesn't exist in the Japanese to begin with. I can't believe that this is still even discussed here.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 09:40   Link #254
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Anjou, I've been working in the fansubbing scene for 10 years - so I've experienced discussions of this kind more than once - and for what little it's worth, I agree with your decision to go with Demon Queen 100%. Thanks for your efforts. Your translations flow very well.

Addressing a female with "King" in English would be a typical case of a failed translation, because it would introduce a new and wrong connotation (the speaker negates the femininity of the one addressed) which doesn't exist in the Japanese to begin with. I can't believe that this is still even discussed here.
Thanks Mentar. I hope you can explain this to the person that wants to change "Demon Queen" to "Maou" in the series TV Tropes page over at the discussion thread.
Old 2012-01-07, 15:09   Link #255
Athena
The Power of One

Though from what s/he said, it's about many different versions...and if you think like that, it's acceptable. Frankly, I have not seen other versions, but no matter how they are translated, it's all from "Maou" that it comes from...

IMO, for TVTroopes, it could simply follow its antecedents. If they translated "Daimaou", then translate "Maou" too. If they didn't, then don't translate it neither.
Old 2012-01-07, 15:12   Link #256
Anjou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
How come? Unclean raws? Barely readable original Japanese font?
Neither. The raws are ripped directly from the publication's web comic reader, so they're usually clean. Just a little bit of processing and they look fine.

No, the real problem is that there is so much text in so little space. Every line needs to be adjusted - position, font size, font choice...
Anaru is my other name - I'm very Anaru about my own typesetting, especially when it comes to positioning. It takes ~12 minutes to do one page of 4-koma. Multiply it out and it's a little over 1.5 hours on just 8 pages! Hidoi~!

fufufu~ I should stop with that crap.
Quote:
Actually, it is literally a drawn out "kin kon," a bell sound used by just about every Japanese high school out there (one can hear it sometimes in school-setting anime). Something very similar exists in many US high schools as well.
Oopsies, my bad! See, my memories are terrible.
Even so, "kin kon" isn't quite bell-ish to gaijiners like me.

Quote:
Albeit, although you said you hate TL notes, I'm usually of the opinion that big SFX sounds drawn over the panel are better left untranslated or explained by the briefest of notes (*Bell). It means you guys don't have to bother cleaning, redrawing, and typesetting all that stuff, too!
Here's where it turns into a gray area. Depending on mango, I might or might not skip typesetting sfx. If it's Okujyouhime, I typeset quite a lot of it. If it's mmy, I leave them all. This has more to do with cleaning and redrawing than typesetting (in other words, amount of effort). For big sfx, I usually (if not always) leave them unless they're important to understanding the material. If the sfx is deemed essential, then I'll add a little "SFX: blah blah blah" outside the panel.

Quote:
Of course, for consistency's sake if you translate smaller SFX notes (a little "mu" next to a character = pout :<) you might feel like you need to do it for the big ones as well.
Sometimes~ but efffforrrttttttttttttt

You're right though. If I do the small sfx, chances are, I'll go the extra step to do them all for consistency.

--------------------------------

Quote:
Thanks! You'll have to direct your compliments to the translator though - I don't translate I can do all the other stuff though: editing the script, cleaning the raws, typesetting...

I like to say that I use a hammer to edit scripts - if something's wrong with a phrase, I'll smash it up until it looks good. I've written a little about this:
Spoiler for Musunde Hiraite ch07 release post:

Teehee~ I usually write too much.
I have to stress that I don't translate, so most of that work is done by the translator. Not translating though means doing other work in scanlating, and as you know from fansubbing (I've fansubbed before as well), translating probably takes the least amount of time!
Quote:
Agreed

PS. MrTerrorist, where did you read the chapter? We still don't have them raws >.<
Old 2012-01-08, 02:50   Link #257
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjou View Post
Agreed

PS. MrTerrorist, where did you read the chapter? We still don't have them raws >.<
What chapter are you talking about?
Old 2012-01-08, 06:11   Link #258
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Or we could say Maou = Overlord just in case like Disgaea
Quote:
The 4-koma is a massive, massive time sink. I hate working on it. You guys better read it and have a laugh
That reminds me, the 4 koma version has the most...helpless demon queen compared to all other version I didn't even know that the general characterization of the demon queen in all version should be someone air-headed before reading that series... I mean, in the first version that I read, the demon queen might seem a bit helpless but I don't think she's an airhead

...then again, maybe I don't really understand the terms of helpless or airhead

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 15:58   Link #259
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

^that's what i suggested earlier, given the literal translation of maou (i still got no idea what it would be, but 王 means king in itself), but i dno if there'd be a female version of the word maou
Old 2012-01-09, 02:55   Link #260
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
What chapter are you talking about?
he talk about comic Clear version

Maou or Demon Queen I don't mind, as long as it make sense
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags