AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Favourite Gurren-Lagann Characters Poll (Multiple Choice)
Simon 204 52.31%
Kamina 227 58.21%
Yoko 186 47.69%
Nia 128 32.82%
Rossiu 23 5.90%
Boota 72 18.46%
Leeron 39 10.00%
Dayakka 10 2.56%
Kittan 81 20.77%
Kiyoh 10 2.56%
Kinon 15 3.85%
Kiyal 30 7.69%
Gimmy 15 3.85%
Darry 49 12.56%
Viral 164 42.05%
Thymilph 3 0.77%
Adiane 21 5.38%
Cytomander 4 1.03%
Guame 10 2.56%
Lord Genome 68 17.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-04, 16:54   Link #81
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWolf View Post
kamina and simon FTW XD
YES. Kamina and Simon ftw.
Old 2010-07-23, 09:14   Link #82
Sonic n Tails
Banned

Lord Genome
Old 2010-07-23, 16:50   Link #83
hackled

Simon, Kamina, Yoko, Nia, Rossiu, Boota, Leeron, Kittan, Kiyal, Gimmy, Darry, Viral and LordGenome.

Simon and Kamina, self explainatory.

Yoko, despite me being a fan of pettanko, her character design is surprisingly good. She's the only huge breasted character I like.

Nia, one of the supporting pillars to make what Simon is. Definitely a lovable character, even if they had to 'sacrifice' Kamina for her slot.

Rossiu, most would think that he is a jerk. But hey, people think things differently and he has his ways of handling things within his own capability. Sure, he's weak and all, can't achieve crazy feats like Simon and the gang, but he tries his best regardless. Gotta love him too

Boota, cause he's Boota.

Leeron, I daresay he's the GARest gay character ever designed lol.

Kittan, cause he's equally as manly as Kamina, though he can't word things as good. Gotta give him some love, cause he is the only character to do Giga Drill Breaker, other than the main characters.

Kiyal, she's just plain cute. How can I not vote for her

Gimmy and Darry, they remind me of SRWOG's Arado and Seolla

Viral, cause he's just plain awesome. He's voiced by one of the most epic and GARest voice actors too.

LordGenome, undeniably the best ever 'good guy' turn 'bad guy' turn 'good guy' character lol. I just simply love him cause he is freakishly strong, and masculine. (Hell, he doesn't need his Lazengann to fistfight Simon in his Lagann)
Old 2010-07-24, 07:48   Link #84
GurrenX12
Crazed Swordsman

Kamina, period.

Last edited by GurrenX12; 2010-07-25 at 02:12.
Old 2010-07-24, 22:44   Link #85
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurrenX12 View Post
Kania, period.
Who is Kania? Lol.
Old 2010-07-25, 02:11   Link #86
GurrenX12
Crazed Swordsman

i meant Kamina, i was half-asleep when i posted that
Old 2010-07-26, 15:58   Link #87
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurrenX12 View Post
i meant Kamina, i was half-asleep when i posted that
Well said then
Old 2010-08-24, 00:30   Link #88
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

My favorite character is Kamina first and foremost because he is a man above all men and no one else in this series could ever compare. Even if most of what he did was inspire everyone else to take action, he was no slouch on the battlefield and fought even with fear well in his mind. Unfortunately, I was under this impression that this was single-choice only, so I didn't vote for him, thinking he'd already have a million votes by now. Come on, he's fucking Kamina.

Instead, I voted for Yoko. It goes without saying that she's got a damn nice figure (though at times, I felt the overemphasis was annoying), but the first thing I noticed about her was her personality. She doesn't get upset at silly things like lechery the way typical anime girls do, and she doesn't react to anything in an exaggerated manner. Her attitude and speech are both admirable and believable on every level, and I felt she was more human than the rest of the cast combined. I truly admire characterization on this level and won't hesitate to give props for it in any given anime.

Also, show of hands for everyone who preferred her pre-timeskip outfit.

I really liked Nia too. I mean, even with her ever-present naivety, absolutely everything she says and does is cute. She summoned her own brand of strength and courage when it mattered and acted as a complete counterbalance to this sausagefest of a testosterone-filled anime. I was also glad to see they gave her a nice body and sense of fashion after the timeskip. Still as much of a princess as she ever was.

I liked Viral mostly for his mech, fighting style, and badass attitude, but it was nice to see he had his own dreams and ideals (while unfortunately, his biggest one could never be accomplished) and that he wasn't above loyalty.

I enjoyed Simon's development pre-timeskip, but once he achieved the pinnacle of manhood, he became a predictable and boring heroic archetype. On top of that, he fights for woman he loves, loses her, does that tough guy shit and walks off like it's nothing, then goes off to become some fucking bum. Really, can they drag this charade on any further?

That covers just about everyone I care about.

EDIT: shit, forgot about Leite. Why do I like her?

She's hot! :P

Last edited by SJCrew; 2010-08-24 at 03:02.
Old 2010-08-25, 17:52   Link #89
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
My favorite character is Kamina first and foremost because he is a man above all men and no one else in this series could ever compare. Even if most of what he did was inspire everyone else to take action, he was no slouch on the battlefield and fought even with fear well in his mind. Unfortunately, I was under this impression that this was single-choice only, so I didn't vote for him, thinking he'd already have a million votes by now. Come on, he's fucking Kamina.

Instead, I voted for Yoko. It goes without saying that she's got a damn nice figure (though at times, I felt the overemphasis was annoying), but the first thing I noticed about her was her personality. She doesn't get upset at silly things like lechery the way typical anime girls do, and she doesn't react to anything in an exaggerated manner. Her attitude and speech are both admirable and believable on every level, and I felt she was more human than the rest of the cast combined. I truly admire characterization on this level and won't hesitate to give props for it in any given anime.

Also, show of hands for everyone who preferred her pre-timeskip outfit.

I really liked Nia too. I mean, even with her ever-present naivety, absolutely everything she says and does is cute. She summoned her own brand of strength and courage when it mattered and acted as a complete counterbalance to this sausagefest of a testosterone-filled anime. I was also glad to see they gave her a nice body and sense of fashion after the timeskip. Still as much of a princess as she ever was.

I liked Viral mostly for his mech, fighting style, and badass attitude, but it was nice to see he had his own dreams and ideals (while unfortunately, his biggest one could never be accomplished) and that he wasn't above loyalty.

I enjoyed Simon's development pre-timeskip, but once he achieved the pinnacle of manhood, he became a predictable and boring heroic archetype. On top of that, he fights for woman he loves, loses her, does that tough guy shit and walks off like it's nothing, then goes off to become some fucking bum. Really, can they drag this charade on any further?

That covers just about everyone I care about.

EDIT: shit, forgot about Leite. Why do I like her?

She's hot! :P
Kamina, of course, would hold #1. He is a BAMF. Yoko, IMO, couldn't stop screaming fan service. I didn't really like her too much. Nia at times bothered me.. I just can't stand that little 8 year old voice sometimes. Not to mention she was kind of stupid as well. Simon was my #2. I've thought a lot about his decisions, and I've liked him more for it. I wouldn't say he's predictable, he just acted like Kamina. Notice the hair and attitude change? Yes, he fights for the woman he loves (manly) and IS SUCCESSFUL. He even knew beforehand that he would lose Nia if he defeated the Antispiral and made his decision that all of mankind should live on, even though he would suffer. He was a true hero. So yes, he loses her, but it was his decision to sacrifice his feelings for the greater good. No, he does not put on a "tough guy shit." He has his own way to cope with what happens. What the hell would you do after losing the woman you loved right after marrying her? Simon knows well that he cannot be the leader. He knows no politics, so he entrusts the power to those he knows will get shit done. Except Gimmy, I still think that little turd should not have the spiral core drill. If you watched the movie, you would know that he doesn't become a bum for no reason. Simon's original personality is being a bit of a loner. He fulfills Nia's dream of planting flowers all over the world. What's wrong with that?
Old 2010-08-26, 10:26   Link #90
Jehuty77
Legendary Hero

Send a message via MSN to Jehuty77
#1 - Kamina
#2 - Yoko
#3 - Simon

Dead Last - Nia

Honestly I never get the appeal of a character like Nia in any anime, the fact she replaces the EPIC KAMINA is just wrong. Shes has complete blind faith in Simon. Yes i know he did save her blah blah blah, but the next episode shes already saying stuff like "I have complete faith in my Simon", she barely even knows the guy. Shes a very one dimensional character(Yes im aware she questions her existence blah blah) whos basically there to make lolicon fans happy.

Kamina is just an obvious #1, no one is as epic as this man,

Yoko I thought was a great character, a strong willed female with a soft side, I'm always a sucker for that. I'm fully aware most people will disagree with Yoko being in the top 3 but hey this is my personal opinion. Sure she was designed for fan service but i liked her personality more then her looks. had great chemistry with Kamina, unfortunately after Kamina's death Yoko became a background character to accommodate the annoyance that is Nia.

Simon, at first I didn't like(I never was a fan of Shinji Ikari type characters) but he grew on me, I still don't like its his fault Kamina died but in a way, Kamina's death made Simon the man he is.
Old 2010-08-27, 01:59   Link #91
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
He even knew beforehand that he would lose Nia if he defeated the Antispiral and made his decision that all of mankind should live on, even though he would suffer. He was a true hero. So yes, he loses her, but it was his decision to sacrifice his feelings for the greater good.
Boring, generic, expected, yawn. I can name fifty characters in other anime who would make the same sacrifice in a heartbeat, not to mention with the same attitude, and almost exactly the same lines (Gai Shishioh, anyone?).

The sad thing is that Simon just doesn't have the personality or presence to even pull it off like the guys before him. Even Kittan, who was a blatantly obvious Kamina-lite, had a better hero persona than he did. Not only did he look the role, but he acted the role and played the role because that's who he was. Simon used to know fear and weakness. He used to have at least some semblance of vulnerability to him. But now that he's an adult, he's just some incredible badass who isn't afraid of anything? I just can't sympathize with any of that.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, they didn't even have to write Nia's death into the picture at all. I'm almost positive that if every human in the world was killed besides me, I wouldn't disintegrate into pixie dust. That shit was just retarded.

Quote:
What the hell would you do after losing the woman you loved right after marrying her?
Break down and cry, at least a little bit. But hey, apparently seven years of development dulled him into a shallow caricature of a hero, rather than a real man and human being.

Quote:
Simon knows well that he cannot be the leader. He knows no politics, so he entrusts the power to those he knows will get shit done. Except Gimmy, I still think that little turd should not have the spiral core drill. If you watched the movie, you would know that he doesn't become a bum for no reason. Simon's original personality is being a bit of a loner. He fulfills Nia's dream of planting flowers all over the world. What's wrong with that?
It's way too predictable, that's the problem. Nothing he does surprises or impresses me because it's the same bravado I've been seeing from basically everyone else in the series, and they all seem to pull it off better because who they are from the beginning matches up with who they become in the end. Not Simon though, he just pulls a heroic persona out of his ass and abuses it for the duration of the second half of the series.

Quote:
Yoko I thought was a great character, a strong willed female with a soft side, I'm always a sucker for that.
Whoo, me too. My Achilles' heel to the very end. :P
Old 2010-08-31, 18:07   Link #92
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Boring, generic, expected, yawn. I can name fifty characters in other anime who would make the same sacrifice in a heartbeat, not to mention with the same attitude, and almost exactly the same lines (Gai Shishioh, anyone?).

The sad thing is that Simon just doesn't have the personality or presence to even pull it off like the guys before him. Even Kittan, who was a blatantly obvious Kamina-lite, had a better hero persona than he did. Not only did he look the role, but he acted the role and played the role because that's who he was. Simon used to know fear and weakness. He used to have at least some semblance of vulnerability to him. But now that he's an adult, he's just some incredible badass who isn't afraid of anything? I just can't sympathize with any of that.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, they didn't even have to write Nia's death into the picture at all. I'm almost positive that if every human in the world was killed besides me, I wouldn't disintegrate into pixie dust. That shit was just retarded.

Break down and cry, at least a little bit. But hey, apparently seven years of development dulled him into a shallow caricature of a hero, rather than a real man and human being.

It's way too predictable, that's the problem. Nothing he does surprises or impresses me because it's the same bravado I've been seeing from basically everyone else in the series, and they all seem to pull it off better because who they are from the beginning matches up with who they become in the end. Not Simon though, he just pulls a heroic persona out of his ass and abuses it for the duration of the second half of the series.
I don't even care that he did resemble Gai. Simon was still one of the best characters of the series. Of course Simon didn't have the personality or the audacity of the other leading men of the Gurren Brigade, he was true to his own character the whole show, the only reason that he changed was because he was determined to get Nia back. Simon has always been the timid guy, that never changed at all, even at the end. And how exactly does he abuse this "heroic persona" for the duration of second half the series? I did not see any abuse? It's not like he slaved all the crew members. He played the leader part that the crew needed.

By the way, some people just don't cry. It doesn't mean that they are cold bastards, some people just can't do it. And I do agree that every aspect of Nia's death was stupid as hell.
Old 2010-09-03, 03:20   Link #93
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Pre-timeskip Simon had plenty of personality. He was a kid who liked to dig and struggled to find himself amidst the chaos of war. He had a lot of personal triumphs to overcome before he became the leader of Team Dai-Gurren. All of that went out the window as soon as he grew older; in everything he did, he had to be the cheesy selfless hero. It's like they completely robbed him of his personality. I'd say that's a pretty significant change.

Quote:
He played the leader part that the crew needed.
No. He put on his little cape and played hero. Admit it, Simon grew up to become a one-dimensional Kamina wannabe. The sad thing about it is that it's not even played for irony the way Kittan is.
Old 2010-09-03, 09:03   Link #94
Jehuty77
Legendary Hero

Send a message via MSN to Jehuty77
Quote:
Pre-timeskip Simon had plenty of personality. He was a kid who liked to dig and struggled to find himself amidst the chaos of war. He had a lot of personal triumphs to overcome before he became the leader of Team Dai-Gurren. All of that went out the window as soon as he grew older; in everything he did, he had to be the cheesy selfless hero. It's like they completely robbed him of his personality. I'd say that's a pretty significant change.
I have to admit, Pre-Timeskip Simon was way more interesting, Those selfless hero types arn't nearly as interesting. I know if i was in Simon's place and had the power to resurect my dear friends and loved ones, I'd do it. Up to that point in the series, doing the impossible was a main theme(Yes i know victories in war have a cost is also a theme).

I'd expect simon to say something to like "I'll rip a hole in heaven itself to bring my friends back". I know when he grew up he was suppose to be more like Kamina but he could never fill Kamina's shoes. Kamina wasn't a selfless hero nor a perfect straightened arrow.
Old 2010-09-03, 15:02   Link #95
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I think Kittan and the others died rather appropriately. They died a noble death on the battlefield, so there's no point in trying to bring them back.

Nia, on the other hand, died to some bullshit technicality they decided to write into the story to make it seem more tragic. This series is not about tragedy and it didn't feel appropriate. That was a really bad move on Gainax's part.
Old 2010-09-03, 21:05   Link #96
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
I think Kittan and the others died rather appropriately. They died a noble death on the battlefield, so there's no point in trying to bring them back.

Nia, on the other hand, died to some bullshit technicality they decided to write into the story to make it seem more tragic. This series is not about tragedy and it didn't feel appropriate. That was a really bad move on Gainax's part.
I agree with Kittan's death being noble, but I can't attest to the others dying. A lot of them died for no reason. It was a bit ridiculous how many characters they killed in an episode.

I do agree that Simon was more of his own character before the timeskip, he actually kept the same personality and mindset throughout the whole first arc. At the same time though, I did like Simon in GAR mode, it brought back the manliness of the show. I'll be honest, he was pretty bad ass. I enjoyed it all regardless of the plot-holes in Simon's character.

Nia, Nia, Nia..... Such a failure of an ending in my opinion. They had no reason to kill her, it was such a stupid decision. The ONLY thing that was good was the final picture of Simon walking into the sunset. It gave me an amazing wallpaper
Old 2010-09-04, 02:57   Link #97
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Well, the explanation for Nia's death was that she was a "virtual interface" created by the Anti-spirals so when they got destroyed, they were unable to support her existence anymore. Or smth like that. On other hand I'm also pretty sure that you can't rip holes in the fabric of space-time either ;D

Quote:
I agree with Kittan's death being noble, but I can't attest to the others dying. A lot of them died for no reason. It was a bit ridiculous how many characters they killed in an episode.
IMO the only ones who died pointless deaths were the two idiots who rushed off to "save" the dude who got crushed anyway.

Quote:
Alright, let's be perfectly honest, this isn't the show where afterwards you're supposed to think "wow that was a great story." It's the kinda show where you're on the edge of your seat, fired up and hot blooded all the way. I'd prefer that to some NGE style "imperfect hero" any day. Admit it, at least you enjoyed it more than most other 'stuff blows up' movies xD (Transformers anyone?)
Old 2010-09-04, 04:40   Link #98
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Anime is all about storytelling. Gurren Lagann did have some strong themes in it, and there's definitely more going on in it than a Transformers movie. Part of the reason Gurren Lagann was so great was that it engrossed us in its world with both its story and characters.

We had to get attached to Kamina as a person before we cared that he died. Kittan to a lesser extent, but he still had a presence. Even Jorgun and Balinbow are good examples of this. I cared that Nia died because they wrote her rather well and I think it would have made a better ending if she lived a happy life married to Simon. I can definitely picture that better than Simon getting by all these years disconnected from his friends and with the death of his wife during their wedding fresh in his mind.

Battle casualties are acceptable, but they went too far with this one. Gainax needs to start learning when to put down the axe and let us have a happy ending for once.
Old 2010-09-04, 14:50   Link #99
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Anime is all about storytelling. Gurren Lagann did have some strong themes in it, and there's definitely more going on in it than a Transformers movie. Part of the reason Gurren Lagann was so great was that it engrossed us in its world with both its story and characters.

We had to get attached to Kamina as a person before we cared that he died. Kittan to a lesser extent, but he still had a presence. Even Jorgun and Balinbow are good examples of this. I cared that Nia died because they wrote her rather well and I think it would have made a better ending if she lived a happy life married to Simon. I can definitely picture that better than Simon getting by all these years disconnected from his friends and with the death of his wife during their wedding fresh in his mind.

Battle casualties are acceptable, but they went too far with this one. Gainax needs to start learning when to put down the axe and let us have a happy ending for once.
I agree with Seitsuki's post. This is a pure "Manliness destroys everything and defies all logic" show. There was no thinking necessarily involved at all, it's just hot-blooded explosions everywhere and awesome quotes that made the show so epic. And it was a great show still. I think you're thinking way too much about things. Face it, most animes have pretty shitty endings (main character(s) die, etc.). Nia's death was stupid, but whatever, it was their choice. We may think it was the stupidest decision in the world on Gainax's part, but I'll still love TTGL regardless.
Old 2010-09-04, 20:18   Link #100
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Whoa, hey, what's up with the change of attitude? One minute we're having a discussion and the next it's "you're thinking too much about the show it's not serious!!!!" Sure, it's not an entirely serious anime, but it's not a brainless action show either. Some of these things you're actually supposed to take seriously for the full effect. Were you laughing or holding your balls waiting for the next explosion when Kamina died? I sure wasn't.

Besides, "I don't like what they did with this part of the storyline" is about as simple as it gets and it takes me all of...a few seconds to write? No deep thought involved there. I really did like Gurren-Lagann, but I felt there were a few things they could have done better to make the show live up to its full potential.
Closed Thread