AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - DVD/BD Bonus Episode Rating
Perfect 10 29 36.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 20.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 20.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 5.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.27%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 2.53%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-22, 17:37   Link #21
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk_008 View Post
This was the funniest episode of Angel Beats.
A laughed a lot when TK ate that spicy food (I don't remember the name XD)
Class scenes were also very funny.
Bad and funny end XD
Mapou Tofu~ It was/is one of my favourite dishes. I learned to make it when I was eleven I think? It's super tastey, mine is probably the most spicy I've seen so far. I recommend it in real life if you can stand Tofu.
Old 2010-12-23, 03:11   Link #22
roankun
Tsundere Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolCiel View Post
They had another epilogue included?
Yup. It's only about 2 and a half minutes though. Not really long enough...
Old 2010-12-23, 05:32   Link #23
netvope
SOS-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Was it wrong of me to also think of the show's actual ending upon seeing that 'BAD END' message?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
No it shouldn't be. This bonus episode is clearly just a bonus episode, and the "Bad End" is just there for humor's sake.
I'm wondering too. Really just humor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiel View Post
Mapou Tofu~ It was/is one of my favourite dishes. I learned to make it when I was eleven I think? It's super tastey, mine is probably the most spicy I've seen so far. I recommend it in real life if you can stand Tofu.
I love Tofu, but hate spicy food lol
Old 2010-12-23, 07:54   Link #24
Arnavion

And all the seiyuu had sore throats for a week after this
Old 2010-12-23, 08:13   Link #25
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

is the 3 minute new epilogue some kind of preview for second season? or just trying to hype us all with false hope
Old 2010-12-23, 08:29   Link #26
nishiura
current mood: yeah

8D I just loved this episode. "Dive into your body!" ;D

Fujimaki and Ooyama's fat voices reminded me of when Yui and Ritsu imitated sumo wrestler voices in Keion XD ♥

I see why people would be dissapointed though. I'm sure alot of you wanted something with plot and importance to AB as a whole, but I'm more than satisfied with this (: A really random, crazy episode that focuses on everyone instead of just Otonashi, Kanade or Yuri = good. Even though Yuri is one of my favourites, I'd rather watch everyone, because I love them all! ♥

-_- They left out Christ, though. Why is this? If they weren't going to show him they could have taken him out of the op/ed rantrantrant.

Oh, and I think my favourite part would have to be when the guys are all like "STUDYSTUDYSTUDY" and Kanade just stares blankly and blinks XD
Old 2010-12-23, 08:41   Link #27
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I'm perfectly fine with the bonus episode; what I'm actually surprised at is how a lot of people were expecting a plot-related episode. I don't know why that is, and somewhat-traditionally, bonus episodes tend to not focus on the plot anyway.

Another Epilogue I found to be incredibly disappointing, though.
Old 2010-12-23, 09:41   Link #28
Antiscian

I thank the presence of this thread for reminding me the special episode's out.

Only seen the special epilogue so far, but I personally enjoyed it and thought story-wise it was a much better ending.
Instead of an idealistic 'by some miracle, Otonashi and Kanade reincarnated and were able to meet each other again', we get a much more down-to-earth approach with Otonashi making the best he can out of the situation, and also showing he's learnt from the series as a whole; I feel this way he comes across as a much better person than he did in the original ending.

On a side note, for a moment I thought that yellow-haired guy was the original programmer of Angel Player that was said to have become an NPC long ago. It would have been nice if he got a happy end as well, but seems he is destined to remain an unfortunate throwaway name that we never meet.
Old 2010-12-23, 10:03   Link #29
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiscian View Post
Only seen the special epilogue so far, but I personally enjoyed it and thought story-wise it was a much better ending.
Instead of an idealistic 'by some miracle, Otonashi and Kanade reincarnated and were able to meet each other again', we get a much more down-to-earth approach with Otonashi making the best he can out of the situation, and also showing he's learnt from the series as a whole; I feel this way he comes across as a much better person than he did in the original ending.
But the whole point to the ending of the series was about everybody attaining a happy ending for themselves whether it was through their own resolutions to their regrets, through the actions of others, or by just a lucky chain of events, i.e. their own miracle endings. Yuzuru and Kanade reuniting in the real world falls in line with this.
And then I don't see how Yuzuru giving a pep talk to a random afterlife newcomer does anything story-wise at all.
Old 2010-12-23, 10:08   Link #30
ninja_pintu

Spoiler for Another Epilogue:
Old 2010-12-23, 10:36   Link #31
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_pintu View Post
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2010-12-23, 12:24   Link #32
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

aaarrghh spoilers!

are the another epilogue subs out now? haven't seen it around yet

and shiina= OVER 9000!!!
Old 2010-12-23, 13:20   Link #33
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

That was fun. It had me laughing the whole time. To me, this episode served as a reminder that the strength of Angel Beats (and really KEY works in general) was always the characters. It's a real shame this wasn't a two cour show because it's clear that there were plenty of worthy characters that deserved to be fleshed out more than they were during the show's run. But I won't dwell on the negative. In addition to turning the tension up this episode really turned the humor up which I feel is the best way to handle an extra episode. If you try to put plot into it then the episode will feel either tacked on or the end of the TV run will feel incomplete.

Side note: So Kanade is growing things underground using hydroponics? I guess that explains why she seems so laid back all the time
Old 2010-12-23, 13:27   Link #34
dark998

Spoiler for About Another Epilogue:
Old 2010-12-23, 17:49   Link #35
ChairmanMeow
Great Helmscat

Old 2010-12-23, 19:34   Link #36
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMeow View Post
Hints for the planned VN, maybe?
Old 2010-12-23, 22:27   Link #37
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post
Yup. It's only about 2 and a half minutes though. Not really long enough...
Personally I would have much preferred an extended epilogue over what we ended up getting.
Old 2010-12-23, 22:51   Link #38
Antiscian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
But the whole point to the ending of the series was about everybody attaining a happy ending for themselves whether it was through their own resolutions to their regrets, through the actions of others, or by just a lucky chain of events, i.e. their own miracle endings. Yuzuru and Kanade reuniting in the real world falls in line with this.
And then I don't see how Yuzuru giving a pep talk to a random afterlife newcomer does anything story-wise at all.

Well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that first point.
Happy endings weren't the whole point of the ending of the series, they just often happened to coincide with the real goal, which I think was learning to accept the fact they've died and move on to something new.
That's why I think Otonashi came across as kind of a hypocrite in the real ending, sending everyone off then turning around and suggesting to Kanade that they both stay behind, and refusing to accept the fact for a while that she wanted to ascend as well.

The alternate epilogue does loads story-wise: it tells us that the system's gotten better. Rather than the possible implication that both Otonashi and Tenshi have left and everyone else who dies and ends up in that school is left to fend and for themselves again, Otonashi provides guidance to allow more people to come to terms with their death more easily - I daresay he's doing a much better job of it than Kanade did. With this, Otonashi shows us the same self-sacrifice that he displayed in the train wreckage before his death, showing he's continuing down the path of helping people, and obviously in his speech shows that he's learnt the lesson of the series and is willing to teach it to others.

I suppose it's more of a bittersweet ending for Otonashi, but also better for the world at large and it stays more true to his ideals (especially with how he wanted to be a doctor).
Besides, I think it's refreshing to see something more realistic rather than another one of Maeda's 'Their love has defied the odds and created a miracle'.

I watched the special episode and thought it was decently amusing, but this post is already long enough so I'll end it here.
Old 2010-12-24, 02:26   Link #39
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiscian View Post
Well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that first point.
Happy endings weren't the whole point of the ending of the series, they just often happened to coincide with the real goal, which I think was learning to accept the fact they've died and move on to something new.
That's why I think Otonashi came across as kind of a hypocrite in the real ending, sending everyone off then turning around and suggesting to Kanade that they both stay behind, and refusing to accept the fact for a while that she wanted to ascend as well.
I certainly won't disagree that Yuzuru was being a bit of a hypocrite, but that doesn't change that the whole point of being reincarnated in this series, and thus the endings for each of the characters, was about them getting a happy ending to their lives. For example, Yui "getting married" to Hinata, a wish she wasn't able to fulfill when she was alive, and Iwasawa getting to sing the song she wanted to. None of these reincarnations can happen without the character being happy with their lives, in other words a happy ending. So with that, one of the points of the series was indeed about getting happy endings.

Quote:
The alternate epilogue does loads story-wise: it tells us that the system's gotten better. Rather than the possible implication that both Otonashi and Tenshi have left and everyone else who dies and ends up in that school is left to fend and for themselves again, Otonashi provides guidance to allow more people to come to terms with their death more easily - I daresay he's doing a much better job of it than Kanade did. With this, Otonashi shows us the same self-sacrifice that he displayed in the train wreckage before his death, showing he's continuing down the path of helping people, and obviously in his speech shows that he's learnt the lesson of the series and is willing to teach it to others.
But like I said, the point of the series was finding happiness/satisfaction and moving on to a new life, not sitting in eternal limbo and waiting for his love. That's what the Angel Player programmer did, and that ended up causing the whole Shadows incident, which also makes this epilogue a case of on-the-verge-of bad history repeating itself. The story wasn't about self-sacrifice; that was just something Yuzuru did before he died, not a theme of the series.

Quote:
Besides, I think it's refreshing to see something more realistic rather than another one of Maeda's 'Their love has defied the odds and created a miracle'.
This one we'll have to agree to disagree on, because I love happy endings; good guys win, bad guys lose, love is eternal, etc. I'm just old-fashioned that way. I don't hate or even dislike bittersweet or bad endings mind you, but a clearly upbeat and happy (in the overall picture) series like Angel Beats! is better suited for a happy ending.
Old 2010-12-24, 06:31   Link #40
ninja_pintu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStar View Post
Hints for the planned VN, maybe?
Isn't the VN already announced? I do remember reading somewhere about Maeda working on a possible Angel beats! VN O_o