AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-05-26, 05:01   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Gundam Age - Character Discussion - Kio Asuno

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kio Asuno related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Gundam fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 05:27   Link #2
Zulu Keita

I think Kio Asuno is a decent character... From what Ive seen so far.

I personally dont like the character design but to each their own... I just hope he doesnt end up acting like Ewin did in Victory....cuz I have a bad feeling he will
Zulu Keita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 16:19   Link #3
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Apparently doing one particular thing that is similar to another particular thing another character in the franchise did makes you that character. Who would have known that Kio's desire to do things his own way and be his own man seperate from his father and grandfather would forever make him another character from a completely seperate timeline in the eyes of the franchises fans. Sorry there Kio boy....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 00:10   Link #4
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Apparently doing one particular thing that is similar to another particular thing another character in the franchise did makes you that character. Who would have known that Kio's desire to do things his own way and be his own man seperate from his father and grandfather would forever make him another character from a completely seperate timeline in the eyes of the franchises fans. Sorry there Kio boy....
Honestly man, comparisons are inevitable given the similarity between their way of fighting.
Old 2012-07-30, 09:01   Link #5
Raysoul

Kio may have found his own way of fighting, but not his resolve. That is the reason he always yell "We should stop fighting."

There are still 7-9 episodes for character development. I wish he could be more like Banagher than Kira.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:33   Link #6
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
I wish he could be more like Banagher than Kira.
He is not like Kira to begin with, I don't understand this comparison.
It toke +/-30 episodes of character development for Kira to finally come to the conclusion that war sucks and that he didn't particularly enjoy killing people if he can avoid it. Kio on the other hand is like kid who watched a anti-war movie for the first time and comes to the conclusion that war is bad and we should all stop fighting.
Old 2012-07-30, 15:15   Link #7
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
He is not like Kira to begin with, I don't understand this comparison.
It toke +/-30 episodes of character development for Kira to finally come to the conclusion that war sucks and that he didn't particularly enjoy killing people if he can avoid it. Kio on the other hand is like kid who watched a anti-war movie for the first time and comes to the conclusion that war is bad and we should all stop fighting.
The big difference between Kira and Kio for me right now is that when it came to Kira it never felt like there was any doubt that the viewer was expected to side wholeheartedly with his ideals and that his method of doing things was in all cases the exact and preferred method that ought to be used for dealing with these situations and that anyone who disagreed with him was in the wrong. In Kio's case though that really hasn't been the case as has been shown with Fram and Girard's outright rejection of the idea that they can all just have a sit down talk in the middle of a conflict that has all but progressed beyond the point of no return. For this reason among others I don't think we've seen the end of Kio's finding his role in all of this.
Old 2012-07-30, 15:30   Link #8
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The big difference between Kira and Kio for me right now is that when it came to Kira it never felt like there was any doubt that the viewer was expected to side wholeheartedly with his ideals and that his method of doing things was in all cases the exact and preferred method that ought to be used for dealing with these situations and that anyone who disagreed with him was in the wrong. In Kio's case though that really hasn't been the case as has been shown with Fram and Girard's outright rejection of the idea that they can all just have a sit down talk in the middle of a conflict that has all but progressed beyond the point of no return. For this reason among others I don't think we've seen the end of Kio's finding his role in all of this.
To be fair, Kira has never tried to talk people into not fighting other than in Alaska. But that was only because of the mutual threat by the Cyclops system.

The only ones who did were Cagalii in Destiny (only toward Orb, but still unsuccessfully) and Lacus (more successful after major losses in both camps).

One difference people forget between Kio and Kira is that Kira's way of fighting is less to do with stopping the war and more to do with a personal realization that he doesn't think of either side as outright enemies that needed to be killed, for the most part.

But still, people do reject Kira's interference, just not his disarming policy.

Note that people, for the most part, do not seem to outright disagree with Kio's disarming policy either (except probably for Flit), although I haven't seen the latest episode.

They reject his desire that they stop fighting, just like the Orb soldiers did to Cagalli.

So, in this case, the comparison with Kira, I feel, is misguided.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 22:01   Link #9
Raysoul

What I meant is how the character is loved by fans Sorry for the confusion.

Kira is being bashed left to right on different communities.

Banagher, on the other hand, is being bashed on Episode 4 because of his pacifism, but is praised on Episode 5 due to a good character development.

What I want for Kio is pull something that will let him be remembered as one great protagonist.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:06   Link #10
kaito-kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysoul View Post
What I meant is how the character is loved by fans Sorry for the confusion. Kira is being bashed left to right on different communities.
Kira is actually the most popular Gundam character even now.
btw, why do you care about Kio's popularity? Apparently everyone hates Age, but that doesn't bother you, dose it? So why care about Kio's popularity?
Old 2012-07-31, 08:13   Link #11
Raysoul

I only care how the series would end. If Kio would do the same thing (shouting and defending) until the end of the series, then he will be labeled as the worst Gundam protagonist, which is very bad for the whole series.

And if I'm rooting for someone, it will be Asemu, not Kio.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:10   Link #12
kaito-kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysoul View Post
I only care how the series would end. If Kio would do the same thing (shouting and defending) until the end of the series, then he will be labeled as the worst Gundam protagonist, which is very bad for the whole series.

And if I'm rooting for someone, it will be Asemu, not Kio.
Did you actually watch Seed?? Kira doesn't shout and except his friends he doesn't doesn't really protect others. In a certain way Kira is actually a selfish character. Kio on the other hand is already doing both of these things, trying to understand and reason with his enemies while putting his own life at risk. He is a very selfless character. So if you don't like those characteristics, you shouldn't like Kio.

Other than being a kind Person Kio doesn't really have anything in common with Kira. Can anyone think of anything else?

Now that we are talking about this, isn't Kio more like Lacus then Kira? She is the only one I can remember who tried to reason with her enemies on the battlefield while she is fighting them.

Last edited by kaito-kid; 2012-07-31 at 11:40.
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:23   Link #13
Raysoul

I didn't say Kio is Kira. Like as I said, I was talking about the perception of there characters.

I like Kio, but with 2 episodes of Kio convincing two girls to stop war without actually doing something is not really good. No comparisons from me for Kira here.

We have yet to see Kio's defining moment, but I really feel there will be.
Old 2012-08-06, 02:53   Link #14
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

So yeah after thinking about it a bit more I'm starting to cool on Kio's whole part in this a show little but too, but for slightly different reasons than a lot of others. It's not the oft heard bit about how he's stupid for trying to follow his own path in putting an end to the fight like so many people take offense too, his naivete is well within the consistency of his character so far, what my main problem is is that he's kind of just been cycling through the same defining events over and over thus successively dulling their impact. By comparison both Flit and Asemu had more deliberate and linear development and a variety of different influences that shaped them into what they are, but so far all of the events that have influenced Kio have involved the tragic and totally preventable death of someone he sympathized with despite his best efforts to find a way to save them. First it was Shanalua, then it was Lu, and now it's been Spriggan. While that's all well and good and I honestly have no issue with the ideas being presented themselves, it feels like it's getting a little worn and that now after the third time Kio just hasn't made any progress towards being a more interesting protagonist. Twice I could have accepted with the third time being the charm, but three times is getting a touch reptitive and redundant.

Compare that to say Banagher Links from Unicorn who learned from the mistakes he made during the incident with Loni and applied them to helping Zinnerman rescue Marida from the Banshee while Kio has failed three times now and it honestly does become fair to say that it's a little disappointing. I still don't think it's too late for Kio to develop more, but this has to be the one that does it, no more of the same storyline, it's definitely time to take a different approach cause things aren't working and whether he realizes that now may actually play a part in whether I end up lending a little more credence to the idea that the writing for Kio has been sub par. I hope that's the angle they're going with even though I think it's already taken longer than it should by about 1 attempt.
Old 2012-08-06, 15:21   Link #15
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
The thing is he hasn't achieved anything with his methods nor would it be likely since the "understanding" part isn't the reason behind the war.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 18:08   Link #16
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

I don't understand where the hate comes from. It's not as if Kira was the first character to ever adopt a rule of not killing his enemies. People love Batman, and he too doesn't kill his enemies, regardless of who they are and what they've done, from common street thugs to outright murdering rapists. The popularity of the Nolan trilogy is huge, and I've yet to hear people complain that Bruce is a moron for not killing so and so and having a "stupid" rule about killing etc. Must be a thing with Gundam, the protagonists in this franchise are held to a lower standard it seems, they have to give in to revenge and be a killing machine to be likeable. It's no wonder Flit is so beloved and Kio is hated.
Old 2012-08-06, 18:17   Link #17
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
I'm guessing you only know of the Tim Burton series?

Batman's no-kill policy stems from the comics which Nolan stayed faithful to and it's because his parents were shot.

Or a simplier reason would be the same as any other superhero. If they were to kill the guy then they'd be guilty of first-degree murder. It's why Wonder Woman was wanted because she snapped a guy's neck or Spider-man for seemingly killing a guy. And why Batman was on the run because he took the blame for Harvey's murder and such.

For Kio....I'm pretty sure most people are annoyed with the fact he's crying and whining about understanding each other while fighting when that's not the reason behind the fighting to begin with.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 21:09   Link #18
galdr

Kio will probably become better in the end though now I want to strangle that guy. The AGE-FX is pretty much wasted on him.

Why the heck this brat got state-of-art suit while Asemu and Flit stuck with their old suits?

Anyway, I'll blame this on AGE's 3 Generation concept. The main character's character development pretty much reset every arc. We have to see the main character being 'lame' before they become badass again. Which is very annoying since the previous main character who have reached "badass" state is still around.

This is the case with Kio here, IMO Flit and Asemu overshadow Kio and make him look bad in comparison. Flit also overshadow Asemu in Gen 2 until Asemu become his own man.
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 21:48   Link #19
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Kio's main problem right now is that he's not strong enough. He has the means (AGE-FX) to do what he wants, but he's still a weak pilot. He saw with Girard that some people just aren't going to listen to him when they can just beat him up. Zeheart isn't gonna be talked down, and seems to be getting an upgade in the form of Legilis...Kio will need to improve and fast because right now he can't even overpower a novice pilot like Fram. If he wants to save people, he's going to have to overpower them and then do his speech. It's much easier to convince people when they're stuck in a floating head rather than a fully functioning suit.
Old 2012-09-05, 20:34   Link #20
Dark Wing

I know people are giving Kio a lot of flake because of his resent actions but please look at the bigger picture Kio is not a real soldier. He's a kid who Flit trained/conditioned with video games to fight what he believed to be monsters and he was all for it at first, however Kio wasn't prepared for a more complexed problem of realizing there are people in these mobile suits.

In a way it was Flit whose partly at fault for the way Kio has turned out. Now that Kio sees that his Grandpa isn't really the nice righteous old man he thought he was he's confused and without proper guidance this no kill plan was the best thing he could come up with on his own.

Tags
characters