Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-03-18, 07:46   Link #1
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

EVE Online

This thread was created to discuss EVE Online MMO and help new players new to the game.

Home: EVE Online.

EVE Online is an MMO game, or Massive Multilayer Online game, but unlike any conventional MMO like World of Warcraft. For starters, EVE online does not take place on the ground, but in space. For people who always dreamed of flying in huge capital ships in the vast reaches of space rather then wielding swords on the ground, this game is like a dream come true. EVE Online also allows possibly one of the greatest amounts of freedom in virtually any MMO game on the market. Allegiances, tasks, professions, all are open to anyone at any time. You can betray your faction, follow the path of a pirate and prey on travelers and players alike, or even sit back and manipulate the market to amass vast fortunes, never once seeing the front lines of battle. The choice of what to do is completely yours.

Instead of gear, which is mostly the driving force behind playing an MMO game, EVE online focuses on ships and equipment. There are a large variety of ships, ranging from the small and fast frigates to the huge and obliterating Titans. These ships are the most obvious eye-candy of the game, and much headaches are to be had in choosing one. The ships themselves are equipped with weapons, armor and other status enhancers (scanners, boost-thrusters etc). Each race has their own unique design in ships, and each race also has a vast line of ships. It's important to note that just because your character is of one race, it does not mean you can't fly the ships of another. EVE online is skill-based, and the skills to fly a ship of another race can be learned.

Which brings me to another major difference: Skills. In most MMO's you need to go out into the field and kill things in order to become stronger. In EVE Online you train skills. These skills are trained simply by selecting them and selecting to train them. Of course, you can train only one skill at a time, but the advantage is that these skills train even when you are off-line. In other words: You don't need to be online, nor fighting, in order to train skills. This makes EVE Online a perfect MMO for the casual player, as all you have to do on a busy day is log in, select a skill to train, and carry on with your day.

Now, I mentioned races, didn't I? Here's a little bit of background on them:

The Amarr Empire.

The Amarr are a religious and monastic race. They're also quite oppressive, and see anyone not one of them as potential slaves. Think of them as middle-age religions, and you're quite close. The Amarr prefer the use of laser weaponry, tearing apart ships with concentrated -and flashy- beams of light. Amarr ships tend to be artistic pieces of art as much as they are deadly warships, like the Omen and the Aeon.

The Caldari State.

A state built on corporate capitalism, the Caldari pretty much exemplify what happens when you let big corporations run the show. Survival of the fittest is what governs this race, and you can see that back into their powerful military. It's quite easy to call this the 'USA' of EVE Online. Caldari ships use Hybrid Weaponry, which means they use weaponry that uses both energy and physical damage, giving them a balanced damage template. Caldari ships tend to be angular and military, the Rokh and the Raven are but two examples.

The Gallente Federation.

The Gallente Federation is commonly hailed as 'the only true democracy' in the game. They value individual rights and have a free and open society. While the Gallenteans place high value on luxury and entertainment, on the flipside of the picture the are also many poor citizens. Like the Caldari, the Gallente use Hybrid Weaponry, however their ships have a quasy-organic appearance. Take a look at the Astarte or their great mothership, the Nyx for example.

The Minmatar Republic.

The Minmatar are a race that value independence and determination, and the most important thing in their society is to take care of yourself. This does not mean that they are hostile to one another though. Indeed, having only fairly recently freed themselves from slavery under the Amarr race, the bonds between Minmatar go deep, and they will mount dangerous, even suicidal rescue missions should they hear of their comrades still being enslaved. The Minmatar are the most 'primitive' of the races. They use physical weaponry, such as artillery, and use missiles more then any other race. Their ships have a distinct industrial appearance, almost as if they exist of metal just welded together. The Typhoon and Naglfar show this trait particularly well.

A few convenient links for information:

http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports for mission info

http://wiki.eveonline.com/wiki/Main_Page official EVE wiki

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page unofficial EVE wiki

http://www.battleclinic.com/ for ship fittings and overall help.

More information to be added later~

For those already playing, join the Animesuki channel.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-03-18 at 12:56.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 08:37   Link #2
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Rawr, good choice of image. I'll see if anything interesting to report happens tonight. Industry 4 is training as we speak.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 08:46   Link #3
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Noice, EVE thread!

I haven't played in months and months though I might fire it up again and give it a whirl, but I'd have to start from scratch again because I completely forget how to play. Although I heard its a little harder to get started now?
Old 2009-03-18, 08:50   Link #4
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Noice, EVE thread!

I haven't played in months and months though I might fire it up again and give it a whirl, but I'd have to start from scratch again because I completely forget how to play. Although I heard its a little harder to get started now?
Depends.
You start with 50k SP instead of 800k, you get 100% skill speed boost to compensate until you reach 1.6 SP. This is so you can more easily choose what skills you want. Also, most tutorial missions gives you a lot of skills and ships and all of them are available from the same station (or so it looks).

I would say it's more interesting now, but I haven't created a new char to test it thoroughly. There is a lot of whining on the forums but..where isn't it.

Old 2009-03-18, 16:19   Link #5
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I'd say starting out is "harder" now. At the least you're looking probably at about a month of skill training just to get "caught up" to what you originally started out as. On one hand this is helpful in at least you get more time to get used to not just rushing into new ships and gear...

But on the other you will end up having to spend an extra month or two just to be able to efficiently fly anything better then a Frigate.
Old 2009-03-19, 03:27   Link #6
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I'd say starting out is "harder" now. At the least you're looking probably at about a month of skill training just to get "caught up" to what you originally started out as. On one hand this is helpful in at least you get more time to get used to not just rushing into new ships and gear...

But on the other you will end up having to spend an extra month or two just to be able to efficiently fly anything better then a Frigate.
Hmm, well it might take some extra time getting the same as 800k players did, I can agree on that. It does give the new player more choices though, which in itself can be good.
Frigates reach a long way, but I see what you mean

In other news, I'll be gone starting tomorrow and I'll get back on Sunday. This is the perfect time to train Industry V, which will be done the same day I return. After that, there is only a 2D training left for another IV skill and Mining Barge to III. Yay for mroe income within the next week.

Old 2009-03-19, 03:33   Link #7
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I tried Eve but found it much to hard for a noob to get going at all, the player base is generally hardcore and the time xp made it really hard on a noob. Still, it was a great game just not my cup of tea (especially since I tried it way late).
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 03:36   Link #8
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
I tried Eve but found it much to hard for a noob to get going at all, the player base is generally hardcore and the time xp made it really hard on a noob. Still, it was a great game just not my cup of tea (especially since I tried it way late).
I've been "trying" for a year. The account I have now was the 10th trial account I installed Beforehand I read up on the game for several months. So yeah the learning curve is kind of...steep.

But what do you mean by late? Late in the game's lifetime?

Old 2009-03-19, 04:23   Link #9
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I keep blinking and wondering to myself 'What learning curve?'

Seriously, I never had any trouble. Sure it took some time getting used to, but it was little different from getting used to any new game.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 04:39   Link #10
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
I've been "trying" for a year. The account I have now was the 10th trial account I installed Beforehand I read up on the game for several months. So yeah the learning curve is kind of...steep.

But what do you mean by late? Late in the game's lifetime?
Ya late in the games life. All the other players are so hardcore that the usually 2 month long noob period (for other mmog at least) can last years (seriously real growth takes forever in EVE). The xp system doesn't help there and neither does the enormous difficulty in getting real amounts of money because old players control most trade.

Those are just my rants on it though. It is still a beautiful game, addicting, rewarding, and has great trade (if you can get into it). You just need alot of time and patience and sometimes intellegince (I know a rare need for a mmorpg).
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 05:30   Link #11
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

Seriously, I never had any trouble. Sure it took some time getting used to, but it was little different from getting used to any new game.
Don't have an answer. It took me some time to understand the basics but not to the extreme I see other on EVE forums.
It is STILL a hard game compared to others though. Neither you nor me have scratched the surface of all calculations or even the locations of New Eden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
Ya late in the games life. All the other players are so hardcore that the usually 2 month long noob period (for other mmog at least) can last years (seriously real growth takes forever in EVE). The xp system doesn't help there and neither does the enormous difficulty in getting real amounts of money because old players control most trade.

Those are just my rants on it though. It is still a beautiful game, addicting, rewarding, and has great trade (if you can get into it). You just need alot of time and patience and sometimes intellegince (I know a rare need for a mmorpg).
While it's true that you will never catch up to the really long-term players (unless they stop training), EVE is more dependent on player skill and understanding of the game, at least in my opinion. Compared to WoW where you get the best gear then smash buttons, in EVE you can have a crappy ship and go against many people that have less player skills than you. If they don't know what they are doing, they won't win, since they have to calculate more than pushing a button (this is flaming material )

But yeah, that's just what I've seen and everyone thinks different. The above is why I am drawn to EVE and the less active time investment I have to do in terms of training.

I was thinking of doing trading, but I don't have the brain for it

Old 2009-03-19, 08:18   Link #12
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

It gets complex if you look up exactly how shooting a turrent works.
i.e. How to figure out a target's velocity and size in order to figure out if your tracking is sufficient to hit the target.
Old 2009-03-19, 08:30   Link #13
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Usually, for NPCs, just keeping yourself within Optimal Range +/- Falloff is enough. They don't go fast enough to pose a problem at Optimal range.
Even a drone is hittable if it's an NPC. Not that complex.

Problem occurs when it's PvP. Then you can begin calculate Transversal velocity and all those...terms, seeing as Frigates go faster than NPCs and actually is human controlled.

Old 2009-04-14, 02:14   Link #14
Mr Hat and Clogs

So I fired this up again, with a little help from a friend in WoW who pointed me to EveMon (srsly best app ever) and a few websites like Eve Uni.

I didn't re-roll (yay 870k sp?) and just used the character I last created, it wasn't as bad to pick up basics again and now I actually have a way to track and plan what the heck I'm doing rather then in my head and on some paper.

Getting 'into' it again to play on the sly, eventually I'll get to my goal of some stealth ship, eying off a manticore (bugger going around where people can see you imo!). I have Kestrel at the moment its a fun little missile boat.
Old 2009-04-14, 02:33   Link #15
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Glad to hear it. Hit me up in-game, Arkea Jindoi /join our channel if you want to chat sometime.

Old 2009-04-14, 07:31   Link #16
Ending

Quote:
It is STILL a hard game compared to others though.
Sounds like a my kind of a game if it isn't just about who clicks buttons the fastest. But it also sounds a bit like a private club if a new person can't do anything and gaining perks takes years.

One problem is that there doesn't seem to be any game-time cards. I own only Visa Electron, so this probably means that to keep on playing I would need to visit my bank every time.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 13:27   Link #17
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Well, there is bound to be reflexes still, but I find it more hard to keep track of all the info personally ^^; It takes some time to get used to and I still haven't...especially in PvP, because I become a nerve-wreck.
It does take time to get PvP'ing, I admit. But really, the skills you have doesn't matter as much as your ability to learn the game. It's still, regardless of user age, much more dependent on that.

Yea...game-time cards missing. You can order from some online shop, but I'm unsure about it.

Old 2009-04-14, 13:38   Link #18
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I played for a while last year but lost touch with it so i canceled my account. But im thinking about going back to it after the update. They keep your character and everything you had acquired saved so if you ever go back you can pick up where you left off.

The updates were kind of nice i especially liked how you could train abilities even you were not at your home computer.

OH and drones kick ass i had 4 those little bastards with me in battle and they do some damage once you upgrade them.
Old 2009-04-14, 14:12   Link #19
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
OH and drones kick ass i had 4 those little bastards with me in battle and they do some damage once you upgrade them.
I'm currently in a drone boat myself and skilling up drones since it's my main combat power in PvE. Somewhat slower than guns due to the traveling power and you have a bigger chance of losing them...but I still love the little buggers <3

Old 2009-04-14, 16:25   Link #20
Mr Hat and Clogs

Yeah I liked Drones too. One of my other favorite looking paths is a drone boat, lets me vicariously live out my dream of a Freespace ship commander type person, with a big ship and little fighter wings and all that!