AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-09-19, 08:50   Link #81
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

My guess is that they take mortally wounded bears and rebuild them. They have the technology.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2008-09-19 at 09:44.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 09:20   Link #82
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
A card and a Dental dam...she should be thankful

J K

in reality it depends on the girls, ussually ill ask friend girls of mine what to give as girls love giving advice and follow there lead. Ive been dolling out alot of chanel and stuff...hurts the wallet.
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 17:31   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll say it again.... FOOD is almost always a win for most girls. Take her out and feed her some quality food.
Old 2008-09-20, 06:22   Link #84
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll say it again.... FOOD is almost always a win for most girls. Take her out and feed her some quality food.
Agree. Thats allways good.
Old 2008-09-20, 10:29   Link #85
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I have been followed this thread since i need to buy a birthday gift for my cousin also (who is happened to be a girl at same age with me)

Planned to buy her a scarf (summer is coming here but she will go to US for student exchange anyway, hope it will not those tropic states )

Asked my brother's girlfriend for advices and she really don't like the idea of the scarf (really hate it!!). She also told me to go a) buy her a $70 wallet, b) treat her to a meal, but i seriously short in money now and lunch would be hard due to class (my cousin probably stay home for dinner). Actually, treat her out to a meal is weird in my dictionary.

So what do you guys think: is a scarf that weird for birthday gift?

PS: the reasons why i needed to be serious (but not too serious) this time is because i forgot (or did't know) and missed out her birthday for the past 3 years, until she complaint that how come she remembered mine but i do not remember hers
I blamed my short memory for that...
Old 2008-09-20, 10:58   Link #86
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I vaguely recall that it's a bad idea for a girl to buy a guy a tie for a present (implication: she's trying to tie the guy down), but I don't remember any similar "taboos" when it comes to presents for girls. Since you're not even sure if she's going to need a scarf, I'd say, save your money. Just go with what she likes best. It helps if you know her hobbies.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 11:06   Link #87
Dream
working...

ok, i live in toronto
trust me, it is not cold in US whatsoever.
so scarf would almost be useless

esp since she's your cousin. there's nothing wrong with buying her food.

what is right for her depends on her personality.
for eg. most of my friends will settle for a doll, but i know some won't.
clothing is often not the best, same with acccesories unless you are very very close with them.
get her some food, if you can't decide, its relatively the safe choice but the impact isn't very longlasting.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 11:08   Link #88
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I vaguely recall that it's a bad idea for a girl to buy a guy a tie for a present (implication: she's trying to tie the guy down), but I don't remember any similar "taboos" when it comes to presents for girls. Since you're not even sure if she's going to need a scarf, I'd say, save your money. Just go with what she likes best. It helps if you know her hobbies.
If i know her hobby, i won't have to worry about which gift to give xD

I know she read romantic books, knit, play piano, listen to some musics. But i don't have any idea what kind of music she like or if she does really enjoy reading books or not.

Seriously i rather to buy her a nice paperweight than go for random books or musics. But then i rather buy a scarf than a paperweight ^^

PS: I am failed, i know....

Edit: @Dream: Foods? I mentioned lunches and dinners would be hard and I don't think buy a chocolate box (like some1 mentioned be4) would work in this case either. I want some solid gifts so it won't take too much time to give if she is busy all days
Old 2008-09-20, 11:16   Link #89
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
You could always get a car if you want something that has value, is long-lasting, and is practical, like a VW Beetle or a Mustang Convertible...

You know, just my suggestion...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 11:26   Link #90
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
You could always get a car if you want something that has value, is long-lasting, and is practical, like a VW Beetle or a Mustang Convertible...

I actually don't want to give her anything has value, long-lasting and practical

But it was a good joke.... ^^

PS: I actually would happy to receive any birthday gifts from anyone(even if it's something random like a watermelon) so can't put myself into any1 shoe.
But then i have only celebrated my birthdays like 6 or 7 times so maybe i am just a desperate guy...
Old 2008-09-20, 11:27   Link #91
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:

maybe this is why my relationships are doomed, i was to tight to buy a car for someone
Old 2008-09-20, 12:11   Link #92
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voracious Hollow View Post
maybe this is why my relationships are doomed, i was to tight to buy a car for someone
*tsk tsk*

You know, you could always give out Yugos like free Happy Meal toys to women...They may not be much, but it's better than a bouquet of flowers, and it may even get you married, for what marriage is worth...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2008-09-20, 13:55   Link #93
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Quote:
*tsk tsk*

You know, you could always give out Yugos like free Happy Meal toys to women...They may not be much, but it's better than a bouquet of flowers, and it may even get you married, for what marriage is worth...
a mustang convertible for the love of god, no, theyre is a reason theyre called rustangs,

what you meant to say is get her a longlasting classic car like a Toyota Supra or Nissan GTR.

ive found that the thing girls like the most? a Meal cooked by you.

i made sushi and sashimi for a girls birthday once, i think i melted her heart.
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 15:51   Link #94
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

has value, long-lasting, is practical....

has kitchen appliance written all over it --- O.o :P
Old 2008-09-20, 21:03   Link #95
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:

I read this and laughed. We know you are big on cars; who are you recommending a gift for, you or the girl? I'm reminded of those guys who buy a gift for someone and then just end up using it themselves most of the time because they're more into it than the person they bought it for (which might have been the intent all along).

Anyone asking advice, do it the right way: figure out what the recipient likes or might like, and let's go from there. Your girlfriend likes restaurants? Fantastic - maybe we can recommend certain chains, or types of atmospheres/food types to go for. Your boyfriend needs a new jacket? OK, we can discuss jackets. Your best friend's birthday is coming up, what should you get? A new best friend, that's what, because if you think anyone here giving advice is doing so with a more informed opinion than yours, you're sorely mistaken. You owe it to the person to whom you're giving the gift to put some time and thought into what to get them.
Old 2008-09-20, 21:35   Link #96
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I read this and laughed. We know you are big on cars; who are you recommending a gift for, you or the girl?
Well, hell, if I'm recommending myself a gift, why would I even give the car to the girl in the first place? I'll just keep the thing myself and let her drive it when she's the designated driver...

I, for one, find the new VW Beetles only a chick car, further solidified as my older sister drives one, and I'm dead set against owning a convertible as my personal car (Only hardtops, please), so in that context, yes, I actually am thinking about the girl...Now, if I recommended something else like a Roush 380R or a Saleen S281E as a gift car for a girl, then be bullshitting myself out the ass...

You know, pouring some time into some good original artwork in her depiction might also make for a gift...Of course I stress the word "good", as I don't mean "Give her a Napoleon Dynamite-esque drawing" or "Flatter her with Picasso" (Save for if she's actually into that)...
Old 2008-09-20, 23:24   Link #97
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Anyone asking advice, do it the right way: figure out what the recipient likes or might like, and let's go from there. Your girlfriend likes restaurants? Fantastic - maybe we can recommend certain chains, or types of atmospheres/food types to go for. Your boyfriend needs a new jacket? OK, we can discuss jackets. Your best friend's birthday is coming up, what should you get? A new best friend, that's what, because if you think anyone here giving advice is doing so with a more informed opinion than yours, you're sorely mistaken. You owe it to the person to whom you're giving the gift to put some time and thought into what to get them.
I agree with you, because i know the answer is somewhere in my head even when i couldn't see it yet. But instead of trying to figure out by myself, i still want to ask around (if possible), because it may sparked out some even better ideas. And even if it's not; i still can be proud that i put up serious thought into my search.

Then we also have nice conversations of "what did i buy for my friend/gf/sister/cousin", so it's all cool to read =]
Old 2008-09-21, 14:44   Link #98
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110
But instead of trying to figure out by myself, i still want to ask around (if possible), because it may sparked out some even better ideas. And even if it's not; i still can be proud that i put up serious thought into my search.

Then we also have nice conversations of "what did i buy for my friend/gf/sister/cousin", so it's all cool to read =]
For my last birthday, my best friend gave me a packet of body-wash products from BodyShop.

But that's ok. Over the years, we've lost count of how many times we've bought each other dinner or beer. Odds are he has long since outdone me, since he had actually been my employer for a while. And, er, my first girlfriend was his wife's bridesmaid (and I was his best man). So, he probably figures I owe him for life.

My other good childhood friend bought me sea monkeys. Yes, they can still be found, on ThinkGeek.com It's a great improvement on his part, since he gave me a pair of skipping ropes for Christmas.

(Apparently, he tried to look for a volume of Claymore for me, but he couldn't find the one I was missing. Ah well, at least he tried.)

My former colleagues, on the other hand, put in quite a bit of effort for my birthday present. They knew I liked anime. But unfortunately, none of them are anime fans. So, in the end, they bought me Die Sterne: Neon Genesis Evangelion Artbook, because they didn't know what else to get. If I had known they'd get an artbook, I'd have hinted Range Murata, Ugetsu Hakua or Yoshitoshi ABe. I wasn't even that keen on Evangelion, you see, but of course, I wasn't about to say that in front of them!

All in all, with friends like these, who needs birthday presents?

(I haven't tried growing my sea monkeys yet. They remain safely fossilised in their packaging.)
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 16:15   Link #99
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Pretending you forgot her birthday could be fun. That's what a keen psychologist would do. The 'just joking' present would have to be pretty astonishing though.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 16:46   Link #100
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Lingerie, it'll be funny when she either punches you in the face or tries it on in front of you

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote