AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-30, 02:07   Link #101
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

It's been stated in Hana to Yume that 132 is going to be the last chapter.

Regarding its conclusion, I think Furuba started to suck a while ago. Not suck hard, but just not up to what it was when it began. It just feels like Takaya lost her way and started going through a checklist of what has to happen before the manga ends and throwing it in there with no explanation.

Curse broken? Check.
Everyone paired off? Check.
Akito falls in love with Tohru just like everyone else? Check.

I've always withheld formal judgement on Furuba. The premise is really quite stupid, objectively, but the characters are endearing and it's so well told (for the most part) that it's flourished. I suppose I was expecting more from something that had such a good outset.

I had noticed the art style change. They look pretty alien, especially Kyo for some reason. I know she wants then t look more mature, but even Shigure and Ayame, etc. don't look like that.

To answer your questions arichang, 131 is my favorite chapter, followed by 99 when Hana-chan rescues Tohru. The manga never made me cry, but I cried watching episode 15 when Momiji was talking about his mother, and at the end of 25 and the beginning of 26.
Old 2006-08-30, 08:43   Link #102
Hidari
Baka Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas
It's been stated in Hana to Yume that 132 is going to be the last chapter.
Not exactly right, they talk about "the beginning of the last straight line towards the end of the history" (in reference of the chapter 132). Maybe it's the last, maybe not, they keep this in secret : p Answer the 5 sept

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichang
And all of their eyes are just... dead. o_o
Interesting ^^
Spoiler:

Veritas -->

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-30, 10:03   Link #103
arichang
FanFiction Authoress

I agree with SleeplessHeart--the anime was a much better tear-jerker. However, since the manga sort of, I don't know... continues the story and we find out more about the characters... It's like I like them both for different reasons. *shrugs*

And to be honest, that's actually kind of how I felt... that Takaya-sensei sort of... lost it. It just stopped being her... you know? I mean, I get the whole she wants to make them all mature and everything... but we're talking about a total change in art style--you read the first page of the first volume and the first page of the last volume... and you tell me if you'll be able to recognize it and say, "Oh yeah! Takaya-sensei!"

It ended up feeling as if it was someone else altogether drawing it.

And, like I said... their eyes are dead. However, they weren't... not at the beginning anyway. And even back then, they knew they couldn't do anything. So why is it, they grew deader and deader (haha. that's not a word, is it?) as the manga went along? And it's not just they became more... dead... they just stopped looking themselves. I have to admit, sometimes I got confused because I thought it was Tohru talking, when in fact, oh, wait, no... it's Kagura.

And really... am I the only one who got annoyed by Akito's repeated emo outbursts? They were almost ridiculous... they just kept.... coming and coming. About 50% of the latter part of the manga involved Akito screaming and shouting and crying and cursing the world and being all emo... and I don't know, maybe I should blame the scanlation group, but the words being screamed and shouted often didn't make any sense to me. I always end up reading it three times to get it. *shrugs* It just got bloody annoying, s'all.

I understand Akito's gone through hell... but seriously?

Takaya-sensei... stop with the screaming!

And GOSH they waste a lot of black ink in the last few volumes.
A LOT OF BLACK INK. o_o

Quote:
Hum, remember that Momiji is not totally a human ^^" So maybe that's a part of his curse that he grows so much in a year XD
OH COME ON... you've got to be kidding me! o_o The fact alone that Momiji looked like an elementary school student in the beginning was abnormal. Ay... nevermind... why am I arguing about this? We're talking about a manga that involve talking animals for pete's sake. =____=

Spoiler:

For me, I cried watching the anime... most for Momiji's and Hatori's stories... in the manga, I only cried once... and that's while reading Hatori's story. Though I did get choked up while reading Kyoko's story.

So, for me... the saddest story would be Hatori's story. Momiji being a very, very close second. But of course, I really, really, really felt Kyoko's pain.

The most memorable chapter for me would be the "Something Like Cinderella" chapter... it made me laugh so frigging hard... but at the same time, I found it terribly sweet when Tohru realized what she felt for you-know-who. ^_~
Old 2006-08-30, 13:31   Link #104
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidari
Spoiler:
You're misunderstanding me. Of course the curse was going to be broken, but it was never explained why or how it was broken. Did the spirits just get tired? Did they feel bad that it was screwing up these people's lives? Did you have to make an unselfish wish for it to be broken? And, if so, why wasn't Haru's curse broken when he asked for Yuki to be moved out of the main house, and why did all of the remaining curses lift at the same time?

For that matter, why did the curse manifest as it did? To keep the animals spirits away from other people, thus the curse not activating when the jyuunishi hugged each other? This is what I mean when I say it seems Takaya lost her way. Too many huge questions that were just left unanswered or completely ignored, like she had no way to explain them.

I wouldn't mind Akito losing to Tohru if it wasn't such an abrupt turnaround. Akito was a really messed up person, and may have been weak if you got right down to it, but she was used to having her will be absolute in the Sohma household. Seems like she gave up to Tohru without a fight.

Losing my train of thought.
Old 2006-08-31, 16:59   Link #105
Checkered Blood
Noodle Assassin

Location: Like hell I'll tell you. Are you nuts? I already put my age and real name and stuff!
Send a message via AIM to Checkered Blood
I gotta ask. Last I heard of the ending, it seemed that out main character buddy wasn't doing so hot, what with the laws of gravity and nature working against her. So...she doesn't die, does she? ><

And will SOMEONE tell me how to put up the stupid spoiler boxes??
Old 2006-08-31, 20:43   Link #106
arichang
FanFiction Authoress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered Blood
I gotta ask. Last I heard of the ending, it seemed that out main character buddy wasn't doing so hot, what with the laws of gravity and nature working against her. So...she doesn't die, does she? ><

o_O .... saw what? Laws of gravity?

What exactly did you hear anyway?

and spoiler boxes are like this:

[ spoiler=WHATEVER]BLAH BLAH BLAH[/spoiler]

(without the space between the [s ^^^

Spoiler for WHATEVER:

^_~
Old 2006-09-01, 00:06   Link #107
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered Blood

Spoiler for for those who aren't keeping up with the manga releases in Japan:
Old 2006-09-01, 09:10   Link #108
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas
You're misunderstanding me. Of course the curse was going to be broken, but it was never explained why or how it was broken. Did the spirits just get tired? Did they feel bad that it was screwing up these people's lives? Did you have to make an unselfish wish for it to be broken? And, if so, why wasn't Haru's curse broken when he asked for Yuki to be moved out of the main house, and why did all of the remaining curses lift at the same time?
According to the story, it's been over a thousand years since the curse was placed and now it's wearing out. Shigure said it's the first time since all 12 juunishi have been alive at the same time, and he thinks this is because it's time to say goodbye.
Old 2006-09-01, 18:55   Link #109
arichang
FanFiction Authoress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
According to the story, it's been over a thousand years since the curse was placed and now it's wearing out. Shigure said it's the first time since all 12 juunishi have been alive at the same time, and he thinks this is because it's time to say goodbye.
That makes me wonder though... what's Tohru's role in all this? Did she actually play an active part in the freeing of the jyuunishi... or is she dispensable? As in, let's pretend she isn't the main character of the manga for one second... and let's pretend she never met the Sohma's... they would still have been freed, right?

Since, you know... the curse was "wearing out"... after a thousand years... which still brings us to question... why? Why after 1000 years? Why not after 500? After 2000? And, really... why the curse at all?

I understand the curse of the cat, maybe. But the rest of the animals? Why only the Sohma family? I know the bit about God blessing the animals who came by granting them a year each and letting them bestow upon those born in their years their "characteristics"... but the Jyuunishi weren't even born in the year of whatever animal they were cursed with, were they?
Old 2006-09-06, 12:21   Link #110
Aquapearlofvoice

Send a message via Yahoo to Aquapearlofvoice
Currently I own 1-14 and I love this series it has everything I love in it action comedy, romance, and other things but the most part I like about it is the art and how it was created I also like the ending pages where they explain everything about the Zodiac Legend. Plus I love the art work pages its intersting to see some of the art thats put into the manga.
Old 2006-09-07, 12:53   Link #111
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

omg! i watched the tv series years ago, but i just recently bought the japanese mangas ( well, i'm missing 1 0r 2 vols) i was browsing them last night and it's so different! it's much more mature and dark i think... okay, i'll just comment again after thoroughly reading it...
Old 2006-09-13, 15:09   Link #112
SiegeFox

Send a message via MSN to SiegeFox Send a message via Yahoo to SiegeFox
I've bought all vols. And I enjoy reading the Manga series (Fruits Basket) It's true it is alot better than the series on Tv and it gives you alot more info about the series. More people should read the Manga series. ^^
Old 2006-10-30, 16:57   Link #113
hikaru_masha
I want chocolate!

All I gotta say is that I've read it and I understand everything perfectly. I tought everything was well explaind, well for the most part. Don't forget people, its not over...

In all honesty, if you are that lost and confused, if you find that this manga makes absolutely no sence at all, you may simply just not be mature enough to read it. Read it again in a few years, you will get it. As for the whole "i love you...as a mother" comment, I sooooooooo saw that comming a mile away! He was never actually in love with her, he loved her. If you can't tell the difference, try rereading it and see what happens.

as for momiji, it had nothing to do with the fact that he was a rabbit(for the record...rabbits grow insanely fast). It was all symbolic. at the beginnin he was short, but not that short. it was the way he acted and the way he was portrayed that made him seem alot smaller than he actually was. He did infact have a growth spirt(may of the other characters did aswell) but, if you nottice allong through the manga, it wasnt just "hey in 1 volume he's a shrimp, the next he's a giant", he actually grew a little as the stroy coninued on. However in the last few chapters there was a jump in size, but by that point, time had jumped also. we hadnt seen him in a bit. PLUS he was nolonger acting like a child. He grew up inside aswell. He became more mature. so if you include all those factors, yes it makes sense. It's quite normal in animes with progression plots, especially in lolita characters. (Don't say "well what doe she know, anyways?" I have seen hundreds on animes alone, not to mention all the mangas.) It's not just in anime either, but any cartoon, animated film, or comic . Its the same logical principles!

A much easier exapmple of this momiji incident, watch host club. Take special notice of honey sempi...sometimes he looks more like a child, other times he just looks like a short person. It's not totally the same situastion, but you get my point. Alot of times things get amplified to better illustrate the idea.

Even Kyo looks like he's 12 sometimes when he's being immature.

Read it again take note of when he looks most like a kid....when he's happy. When does he look more grown up? When he's serious. BASIC ANIME LOGIC!!!!!!

If you are this lost, maybe anime isnt for you. Alot of you are going to think im wrong and call me wrong. that's fine. I stick by my statement. Watch 100 animes and/or read a bunch of mangas like this one and tell you don't think I'm right. If you still dont see it, then so help you God, you have a rotting brain and can no longer put things together yourself, you need the AUTHOR to tell you EVERYTHING in the story! Try thinking for yourselves for once.

There is nothing wrong with this story, the problem is the readers.
Old 2006-10-30, 19:37   Link #114
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

whew... that's a old thread XD (duh, shame on me, i didn't spot it, altough i'm a furuba fan ~~)
alright... i will take the occasion of this bump to answer a bit ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichang View Post
That makes me wonder though... what's Tohru's role in all this? Did she actually play an active part in the freeing of the jyuunishi... or is she dispensable? As in, let's pretend she isn't the main character of the manga for one second... and let's pretend she never met the Sohma's... they would still have been freed, right?
who knows? *shrug*, probably no one, even tayaka herself probably.

to understand the whole story, i guess we need to compare each jyuunishi from their respective beginning and past, with the very end of the story.

we can take example on yuki and kyo :
yuki was tortured by akito, abandonned by his parents. even with all the "prestigious" he could have, he didn't have the only thing he wanted : someone who cares really about him, and the fact he could be useful to anyone (the little story with yuki, helping tohru when they were children is the perfect proof).

Kyo is kinda similar : he was closed minded about his situation. he didn't really look for anything, since his own world was sealed because of the curse of the cat.
his first fustration come from he wasn't wished to be born by anyone, ever. and because of the silly zodiac tale, he took yuki as the source of his unhappiness and all.

tohru doesn't have anything special, that's a fact (haru says it litteraly to rin). though, it's because of that, that she was able to change the jyuunshi life, slowly and surely.
she didn't mind their problems at all, she was there for them. (akito was commenting she was probably a goddess or a devil for being pure like this etc).
any "sane" person will probably see tohru as an uninteresting girl, along being clumsy and stupid.
though, her kindness and her presence were the key for their development.

what would happen if tohru wasn't in the story?
hummm let's see : yuki and kyo would keep fighting like idiots.
momiji would be alone, kisa wouldn't have the will of confronting her problem with her classmates etc. etc.

she change their life, without anything special, that's all. there is nothing more to add

Quote:
Since, you know... the curse was "wearing out"... after a thousand years... which still brings us to question... why? Why after 1000 years? Why not after 500? After 2000? And, really... why the curse at all?
again, this is not explained, and it doesn't matter... really.
the important thing in furuba is the character development , how they ended like this.

i think takaya didn't explain the whole curse, because it wasn't important at all : what does matter? the origins, or the finality?

Quote:
I understand the curse of the cat, maybe. But the rest of the animals? Why only the Sohma family? I know the bit about God blessing the animals who came by granting them a year each and letting them bestow upon those born in their years their "characteristics"... but the Jyuunishi weren't even born in the year of whatever animal they were cursed with, were they?
why the sohma? it was said several times, vaguely, that it was in their blood. again, this isn't that important, isn't it?

for the jyuunishi, we would need the accurate date for this ^^"
Old 2006-10-31, 00:14   Link #115
Asameshimae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Regarding its conclusion, I think Furuba started to suck a while ago. Not suck hard, but just not up to what it was when it began. It just feels like Takaya lost her way and started going through a checklist of what has to happen before the manga ends and throwing it in there with no explanation.

Curse broken? Check.
Everyone paired off? Check.
Akito falls in love with Tohru just like everyone else? Check.
Yeah I aggree completely, every since the decursing began, the plot just seem not that interesting anymore and feel more like a rush to the end and trying to close all the loop asap.

Maybe Takaya Sensei is just to tried after like 10years doing to same series.
Old 2006-10-31, 15:06   Link #116
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

So how did the final pairing ended up? Did Rin end up with Shigure or with Haru?

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-11-01, 00:44   Link #117
The Sandman

I'm just going to put my entire post in spoiler space now to save time. Click below to find some answers:

Spoiler:

What makes me sad inside is that we Americans will have to wait until 2009 to read this.
Old 2006-11-02, 23:32   Link #118
BlueJar
Piggy Out there?

All too true Sandman. I have watched the anime and read all the manga; in truth both have great points, but all in all I prefer the manga because it adds reference to the story.

Old 2006-11-03, 14:54   Link #119
hikaru_masha
I want chocolate!

i prfer the manga too.....the anime finnishes too quickly and leaves alot of things untold. And does anyone else HATE that theme song? the worst i have ever heard on an anime!
Old 2006-11-09, 10:16   Link #120
Trinity Black
just a brazilian girl

Send a message via MSN to Trinity Black
Here, in Brazil, we've just got the Furuba 16, and it's about the life (and death, of course) of Tohru's parents. Do you guys know when will Furuba end? I mean, is she still writing, or the series have already ends? I don't know how are things going in USA about Furuba, but I know that there's a lot of people who read online, and in Japanese... Well, this is my first post on this forum, so, if I did not made myself clear, please, say so. Thanks^^
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, romance