AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-07-01, 12:31   Link #181
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actually, wouldn't the "line' be more valid if it went by yen earned from said sales rather than number of packages sold? Since the price difference seems to be all over the place.
Old 2011-07-01, 13:55   Link #182
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So the Manabi Line is basically what I thought then. Frankly that seems like a really narrow definition for a break even point that doesn't consider a whole bunch of other important factors like budget, investment, marketing, advertising, expected profit margin etc.

Cute that it's named after an anime show I guess, but I can never see myself putting any real stock in it.
Judging the profitability of individual anime based on the Manabi line is nonsense but as an industry average it may not be too far off.

To make a rough estimate: From a summary of a 2003 report on anime production (late night anime) from the ministry of economy, trade and industry:http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/media_c...nime200306.pdf

The authors found that anime production companies (what we call the studios) in their sample are risk bearing partners. On average they have to invest 2 to 5 mln yen per episode themselves (production cost (10-13mln) minus sponsor funding (8mln)).

A one cour show of 13 episodes then requires the studio to participate for 26 to 65 mln yen.

Now the big assumption, revenue from DVD sales: Assuming production company receives in the end 35% of the MSRP (regardless of what the retailer charges in the end). Say MSRP was 5000 yen for a DVD at the time, so 35,000 yen for a set. At 35% that is 12,250 for the producers per set. Given the investment of 26 to 65 mln yen the manabi line then lies between 2.1k and 5.3k. So the estimate of 3000 as an average break even point is not unrealistic. The uncertainty lies with the profit margin for studios per DVD.

Note that any anime with revenue streams other then DVD/BR like toys, food, fashion, manga, games etc. will push the DVD/BR sales requirement downward. Same goes for studios who keep the whole production inhouse (lower cost) or control a larger share of the copyright revenue (original anime).

Last edited by Bri; 2011-07-01 at 14:09.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 14:51   Link #183
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Um... because Aria sold over 4,000 DVDs on Volume 1, yet that's apparently not good enough?

If between 3,000 and 4,000 is the Manabi Line, then shouldn't over 4,000 sales be good enough?
The Manabi line was never meant to represent the point at which a sequel should be expected, only the approximate break even point for certain kinds of shows.

Sequels generally sell less than the original season (things like Darker than Black II are the exception) and I imagine they also get less funding from sponsers since the first season has the greatest impact on things like source material sales. I imagine that the producers probably want a second season to be likely to turn a profit rather than merely break even too. All of which pushes the requirement for a second season well above the Manabi line.

Quote:
If that's your argument, then you're pretty much proving Kaioshin's point for him. That the Manabi Line can shift considerably based on other important factors.

If so, the 3,000-to-4,000 standard becomes much more variable, and less useful as a catch-all rule.
The Manabi line isn't a 3000 to 4000 units standard. The Manabi line is a 2310 unit average across all volumes.

Manabi Straight's first volume sales of 2899 is often used to predict whether a show will hit that average, however, this only works for shows that can be expected to follow a normal volume to volume drop in sales. The few shows that have had $30, single episode first volume as opposed to a $60+ two or three episode first volume have often had severe first to second volume sales drops (45%-ish drop for Working, over 50% for Merry Dreameater, compared to just 12.5% for Manabi Straight), so the bar needs to be set much higher than 2899 in these cases. The line was never built to handle these cases, which wouldn't have occurred to anyone at the time because this format was popularized by Working! in 2010. It does increase the variability, but I wouldn't call it "much more" variable since its a pretty predictable phenomenon at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Now the big assumption, revenue from DVD sales: Assuming production company receives in the end 35% of the MSRP (regardless of what the retailer charges in the end). Say MSRP was 5000 yen for a DVD at the time, so 35,000 yen for a set. At 35% that is 12,250 for the producers per set. Given the investment of 26 to 65 mln yen the manabi line then lies between 2.1k and 5.3k. So the estimate of 3000 as an average break even point is not unrealistic. The uncertainty lies with the profit margin for studios per DVD.
This is the part that does severely limit the application of the Manabi Line. The Manabi line assumes that the project had a similar budget to Manabi Straight, which has never struck me as a major production and likely towards the lower end of the budget sale.

My guess is that the Manabi line is a fairly useful indicator of the break even point for small late night shows, while the 5000 number we often here quoted is a useful indicator of the break even point for large late night shows.

(Great post BTW.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 17:37   Link #184
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Actually, that suggests to me that the Manabi Line is really between 4,000 and 5,000 instead of between 3,000 and 4,000.

So, if anything, this suggests that the Manabi Line might need to be adjusted 1,000 upwards.
It suggest to me the author is trying to guilt fans into buying more copies, how ridiculous that something as cheaply made as ARIA needs more sales for a sequel.

*5879 *6 Zero no Tsukaima
*5185 *6 Zero no Tsukaima ~Futatsuki no Kishi~

If those sales can get sequels than Aria is fine as long as it holds up. Something like Sora no Oto can get a sequel and a movie and have way higher production values.... 5k is generally the accepted "safe to make a sequel" range for cheap productions.. I mean who believes the Denpa one seriously? SHAFT did a Maria Holic sequel... and yes Denpa surely cost more to make looking @ the visuals but it doesn't need twice as many sales to break even.

Those tweets are strictly business, I would do exactly the same thing in their position even if I knew I had another 2 seasons lined up already.No way the break even line for productions the quality of Hidan no Aria is 5k.. otherwise the majority of anime airing latenight and relying on bd/dvd sales for profit would be made at a loss.

Quote:
No I don't know what the bloody Manabi line is, although I've had it quoted at me many times over the past 24 hours. Never heard of it and I can only assume it's some magical standard fanboys invented as a gauge for something or other.
Well Kaioshin when you come into a thread on another forum, act like you're too good for them (saying I don't know why I bother to post here and than posting wrong shit is pretty funny man) and take comments out of context and act like an ass period you're going to get a lot of fanboys on your case... and protip you're just as bad as them.

Quote:
That's really nice though that Kyoani is considered above it. Good for them...I guess?
I guess it is good yeah... I mean weren't you just saying all this doom and gloom stuff about them... you know the entire reason I posted that list because the company you loathe had one failure and somehow your brain short-circuited from the joy and it meant more than all their other successes combined?

It's funny how you pop shit about KyoAni all the time and yet when you're "corrected" you ignore it, the lol no grand prize for the KyoAni awards and KyoAni "hurting" being too recent examples People who don't even like KyoAni can see this so clearly...

Quote:
I don't see how Nichijou is them branching out of their usual "crap" either. It's pretty in tune with the whole lackadaisical all-female cast slice of life err..."crap" that they've been doing for a while now.
It's nothing like Lucky Star/K-ON! and lacks the typical KyoAni otaku appeal, it's different... slightly but still different... people saw this from the get go.

Quote:
So the Manabi Line is basically what I thought then. Frankly that seems like a really narrow definition for a break even point that doesn't consider a whole bunch of other important factors like budget, investment, marketing, advertising, expected profit margin etc.

Cute that it's named after an anime show I guess, but I can never see myself putting any real stock in it.
The Manabi Line is a guide, when you sequels start to get made @ a certain range it becomes a case of common sense... obviously you factor in stuff like how high production values, timeslot etc... Is the anime a vehicle to push manga/games/novels? But for the most part anime runs late at night and is cheaply made... and for that I think the Line fits.. but something like Sket Dance for example is not going to be based on it since it's a yearly series airing 6:00PM on TV Tokyo and probably needs decent ratings as well as pushing the manga and op/ed singles to survive.

Ratings - Better than Bleach and sometimes Gintama (same timeslot/channel, different days)
Music - French Kiss OP sold a lot, probably one of the highest songs attached to an anime this year, don't know if more than usual for French Kiss though...
Manga - Had a massive increase prior to the anime, will probably get another bump the next volume
DVD Sales - 6k but heavily discounted, see what Vol 2 does, again may not matter...

Anyway back onto the point it's a guide, obviously if something had twice the budget of normal anime shows it's not going to be the same break even point. But the majority of anime produced is cheap crap and the line seems fine, you see sequels start to get produced once shows hit 5-6k range, SHAFT even put out another MARIAHOLIC when the first season only did 3k.

Anyway congratz on turning this into a discussion about the Manabi Line after it got brought up when you were gloating about the upcoming death of KyoAni. Always nice to change the topic when you're wrong.. it's a good skill to have.

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-07-01 at 17:49.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 17:50   Link #185
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It suggest to me the author is trying to guilt fans into buying more copies, how ridiculous that something as cheaply made as ARIA needs more sales for a sequel.

*5879 *6 Zero no Tsukaima
*5185 *6 Zero no Tsukaima ~Futatsuki no Kishi~

If those sales can get sequels than Aria is fine as long as it holds up. Something like Sora no Oto can get a sequel and a movie and have way higher production values.... 5k is generally the accepted "safe to make a sequel" range for cheap productions.. I mean who believes the Denpa one seriously? SHAFT did a Maria Holic sequel... and yes Denpa surely cost more to make looking @ the visuals but it doesn't need twice as many sales to break even.

Those tweets are strictly business, I would do exactly the same thing in their position even if I knew I had another 2 seasons lined up already.No way the break even line for productions the quality of Hidan no Aria is 5k.. otherwise the majority of anime airing latenight and relying on bd/dvd sales for profit would be made at a loss.

Well Kaioshin when you come into a thread on another forum, act like you're too good for them (saying I don't know why I bother to post here and than posting wrong shit is pretty funny man) and take comments out of context and act like an ass period you're going to get a lot of fanboys on your case... and protip you're just as bad as them.

I guess it is good yeah... I mean weren't you just saying all this doom and gloom stuff about them... you know the entire reason I posted that list because the company you loathe had one failure and somehow your brain short-circuited from the joy and it meant more than all their other successes combined?

It's funny how you pop shit about KyoAni all the time and yet when you're "corrected" you ignore it, the lol no grand prize for the KyoAni awards and KyoAni "hurting" being too recent examples People who don't even like KyoAni can see this so clearly...

It's nothing like Lucky Star/K-ON! and lacks the typical KyoAni otaku appeal, it's different... slightly but still different... people saw this from the get go.

The Manabi Line is a guide, when you sequels start to get made @ a certain range it becomes a case of common sense... obviously you factor in stuff like how high production values, timeslot etc... Is the anime a vehicle to push manga/games/novels? But for the most part anime runs late at night and is cheaply made... and for that I think the Line fits.. but something like Sket Dance for example is not going to be based on it since it's a yearly series airing 6:00PM on TV Tokyo and probably needs decent ratings as well as pushing the manga and op/ed singles to survive.

Ratings - Better than Bleach and sometimes Gintama (same timeslot/channel, different days)
Music - French Kiss OP sold a lot, probably one of the highest songs attached to an anime this year, don't know if more than usual for French Kiss though...
Manga - Had a massive increase prior to the anime, will probably get another bump the next volume
DVD Sales - 6k but heavily discounted, see what Vol 2 does, again may not matter...

Anyway back onto the point it's a guide, obviously if something had twice the budget of normal anime shows it's not going to be the same break even point. But the majority of anime produced is cheap crap and the line seems fine, you see sequels start to get produced once shows hit 5-6k range, SHAFT even put out another MARIAHOLIC when the first season only did 3k.

Anyway congratz on turning this into a discussion about the Manabi Line after it got brought up when you were gloating about the upcoming death of KyoAni. Always nice to change the topic when you're wrong.. it's a good skill to have.
Jesus man......
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 18:34   Link #186
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Actually, that suggests to me that the Manabi Line is really between 4,000 and 5,000 instead of between 3,000 and 4,000.

So, if anything, this suggests that the Manabi Line might need to be adjusted 1,000 upwards.
Well, there are shows that break even and there are shows that get second seasons. Not all shows that break even get second seasons because sales could go either way, usually each subsequent season sells less (unless you're Nanoha).
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 18:45   Link #187
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
*Stares at above discussion*

lol wut. Man sure is serious business.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 18:57   Link #188
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I posted this somewhere else, but to help steer conversation back on topic..

Kyoto Animation doesn’t have to do anything just yet. Not unless they have another major flop. Right now with plenty of Haruhi material still left to adapt, and a K-ON movie on the way which will earn them tons of capital, they can still laugh all the way to the bank.

They haven’t sufficiently backed themselves into a corner yet, but if they don’t move soon, it can get ugly. Almost everything available from KEY that can be adapted is already adapted (Little Busters isn’t a realistic option at this moment). Shaft has already banked majorly on some of their recent failures with Bake and Madoka. KyoAni is also no longer one of the higher standard studios for TV animation since there are plenty out there able to match them tick for tat.

Nichijou flopping is a very good thing. If they stick with the same old tired formulas, I hope those flop just as badly as well. They need a wake up call.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 19:23   Link #189
Westlo
Lets be reality

KyoAni are fine period If one or two "Nichijous" is going to be a concern for KyoAni than most of the industry is fucked....

One show that could might end up as a slight loss or just break even is hardly going to effect them in the long run. It's like saying "Oh no Nintendogs flopped on the 3DS, Nintendo are doomed!" while ignoring that they still have Mario Kart, NSMB and Pokemon in the wings.... Likewise KyoAni have the K-ON! Movie, heaps more Haruhi, KEY works, and 2 K-ON mangas just started....

Sadly I'm thinking that what happened to Nichijou isn't taken as a wake up call by KyoAni but as a sign to stick only to what has worked for them and just pump out sequels.
Old 2011-07-01, 19:35   Link #190
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Sadly I'm thinking that what happened to Nichijou isn't taken as a wake up call by KyoAni but as a sign to stick only to what has worked for them and just pump out sequels.
Which is why I said they can pretty much laugh all the way to the bank RIGHT now, but long term, that's not necessarily the case.

They can drag out the Haruhi adaptions for awhile, and perhaps Rewrite may be something adaptable in the near future (Planetarian OVA possibly too).

This is all fine and dandy, and yes, they very well can retreat back into their shell (Though I wouldn't really call Nichijou as venturing too far off form their usual...), and not try to do anything, but that'd be incredibly disappointing.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 19:46   Link #191
Westlo
Lets be reality

Working off Munto being 1k (guess) and Nichijou 3k (first week was 3.5k in total, BDs did 2.5k) KyoAni's series avg atm is.. roughly 20k. They do another 2 "Nichijous" and 1 "Munto" than their avg is 17k. They do another Haruhi that does... say 45k (Movie + Newest novels being massive) and their avg goes backup to 19k.

So they can have 3 flops and just one big series will get them back to where they are right now and make more profit easily than the money they lost on those 3 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Which is why I said they can pretty much laugh all the way to the bank RIGHT now, but long term, that's not necessarily the case.
They will be fine for at least 5 years.... and after that.. it's not like KEY won't release games in that time or Kadokawa won't give them the newest hot LN property in that time... heck they can "retreat" to FMP and be profitable...

Quote:
They can drag out the Haruhi adaptions for awhile, and perhaps Rewrite may be something adaptable in the near future (Planetarian OVA possibly too).
If they go back in their shell I wouldn't be surprised too see a Tomoyo After adaption... easy 10k... some studios would die to get one 10k series....

Quote:
This is all fine and dandy, and yes, they very well can retreat back into their shell (Though I wouldn't really call Nichijou as venturing too far off form their usual...), and not try to do anything, but that'd be incredibly disappointing.
Always said it was a slight change, nothing drastic, but it flopping doesn't exactly bode well for them not retreating into their shell.... I hope they surprise me..
Old 2011-07-01, 20:09   Link #192
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I still think that the sales flop has way, way more to do with the show lacking the elements that have made KyoAni's work successful in the past than from being too similar to previous KyoAni works.

Nichijou's sales are far closer to the norm for a moe slice of life show than K-On's or Lucky Star's. A bit on the low side, yes, but not unusually so, 5-10K is rather successful for this genre. Major hits like Azumanga or Working! are not common occurrences.

K-On! and Lucky Star are not mere moe shows. They are otaku icons. That is why they sell more than other moe shows. And making them icons took a lot of enthusiasm from fans (generated mainly by Haruhi S1) along with the creation of memorable little pieces like K-On!'s Don't Say Lazy ED.

With Nichijou, Kyoto didn't have the stellar reputation they did when they launched K-On! in 2009. And from what I saw they also didn't make the same sort of effort to elevate the show to icon status. There seems to be a building consensus that the comedy is inferior to other KyoAni SoLs as well.

It's difficult to say what's next for KyoAni. Haruhi and K-On! are obviously the firms two big assets, especially since Disappearance and K-On! season 2 were very strong entries in their franchises. But I can't imagine they'll stick with just two franchises forever and what they'll try next is anyone's guess.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 20:15   Link #193
Westlo
Lets be reality

Probably REWRITE unless it's not suitable to be adapted into an anime, no idea since I haven't spoiled myself on it. What about Little Busters? I saw that Reckoner said Little Busters isn’t a realistic option at this moment, can anyone expand on that without spoiling?
Old 2011-07-02, 02:05   Link #194
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Probably REWRITE unless it's not suitable to be adapted into an anime, no idea since I haven't spoiled myself on it. What about Little Busters? I saw that Reckoner said Little Busters isn’t a realistic option at this moment, can anyone expand on that without spoiling?
- Length. The story is quite a bit longer than Clannad(which took 48 episodes over 18 months). A comprehensive adaptation is a big expensive venture

- Bears similarities in story elements to the latest Key anime Angel Beats. (Though one could say Clannad, Air and Kanon are also very similar works but both got adapted)

- Little Busters is a game that to get through the whole story, heavily depends on repeated gameplay. This could mean going through a whole visual novel heroine route twice but from a different person's perspective, or going through a route twice because the first time you went through the route you got an unavoidable "bad ending". Long story short, adapting Little Busters into an anime without having it look like Endless Eight will be difficult. And due to the sheer length of the individual routes, its difficult to make it like Higurashi.
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 18:33   Link #195
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

If they did "[Character] After" OVAs for other heroines from Kanon or Clannad, that would probably strike a chord with fans. Until Kyoani becomes dust on the solar wind, I'll still be waiting for a Nayuki end.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 07:46   Link #196
thirdlc

You guys bring up budget issues here and there, but are you sure you can tell budget by watching episodes? If you can, then of course you can tell an episode's cost too, right? Okay, let's take Manabi Straight as an example. How inexpensive or costly did you think Manabi ep 1 was when you watched it?

The correct answer is, it's one of the costliest episodes for TV anime series.

It's because over ten thousand cels were used in ep 1. You can watch that type of episodes only a few times a year. To tell budget, you have to sense the numbers of cels and shots by watching an episode because inbetweeners and painters are pieceworkers for each cel and key animators are pieceworkers for each shot, and payments for them determine the whole cost of the episode and eventually the cost of the series.

It's a misconception that a detailed (still) shot takes a good amount of money. It's the most inexpensive task in animation since it's minimal with one shot and one cel. In the first place, detailed still shots are a method of cutting corners. What costs in animation is animation. Repeat after me. What costs in animation is animation.

That said, it's not that I want to say Manabi's series budget is high. I think it's reasonable to suppose Manabi's budget is average. If not, the Manabi Line won't do as a rule.

Quote:
SHAFT even put out another MARIAHOLIC when the first season only did 3k.
Stop assuming an anime studio decides whether to make a sequal. I guess Maria Holic Alive is part of promoting a new mazagine, Monthly Comic Gene.

P.S. Akai Chugaku (the author of Hidan no Aria) said nothing but a common sense, "buy BD/DVD, or another season can't be made", not "buy more or another season can't be made".
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 03:03   Link #197
Westlo
Lets be reality

Thanks for that information winhlp32, I'm guessing the same problems will occur in REWRITE as well. I saw that the script for that is the largest KEY have done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
It's a misconception that a detailed (still) shot takes a good amount of money. It's the most inexpensive task in animation since it's minimal with one shot and one cel. In the first place, detailed still shots are a method of cutting corners. What costs in animation is animation. Repeat after me. What costs in animation is animation.
I doubt anyone posting in this thread doesn't know that already, people might make assumptions about Manabi if they haven't seen it though...

Quote:
Stop assuming an anime studio decides whether to make a sequal. I guess Maria Holic Alive is part of promoting a new mazagine, Monthly Comic Gene.
I didn't have time to look up the Production committee. I am well aware of SHAFT's hired gun status.

Edit - Suzaku or whoever can post the full list which went up on MAL but I just have to mention that AnoHana sold really damn well.

Blu-ray
*1, 31,069 31,069 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai vol.1 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 23,551 *,199,682 Karigurashi no Arrietty
*2, *7,508 *,**7,508 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai vol.1 Limited Edition

Took the #1 spot for the Spring season, here's the Top 5 thanks to dtshyk from MAL

Sales Rankings of the Spring Anime 2011 (the first volumes of Blu-ray + DVD)
*1, 38,577 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
*2, 27,130 Tiger & Bunny
*3, 20,807 Ao no Exorcist
*4, 13,469 Steins;Gate
*5, *9,643 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. (TV)

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-07-05 at 03:56.
Old 2011-07-05, 14:57   Link #198
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

As expected, more or less 40k for AnoHana. Congrats to the show.
Old 2011-07-05, 15:53   Link #199
ZODDGUTS

A-1 has shown great diversity in making all kinds of different anime and has made good profit. If only KyoAni was this diverse.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 22:32   Link #200
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

A bit late, was busy.

Source: http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi...309836246/2758

[I]*This Week Rank/Last Week Rank/This Week Sales/Total Sales/Title

*Bold = First Volume

-------------------------------------------------------------

06/20~06/26 Oricon Top 30 Anime DVD
*1(***) 23,551 *,199,682 **3 Karigurashi no Arrietty
*2(***) *7,508 *,**7,508 **1 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. 1
*3(***) *4,522 *,*24,736 **2 ONE PIECE Log Collection "SKYPIEA"
*4(***) *3,249 *,*10,140 **2 SKET DANCE v1
*5(***) *2,047 *,**2,047 **1 Beelzebub v1

*6(***) *1,659 *,*12,551 **2 Ao no Exorcist v1

*7(***) *1,453 1,078,513 497 Tonari no Totoro
*8(***) *1,212 *,**5,786 **2 Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi v1
*9(***) *1,021 *,**8,779 **2 IS -Infinite Stratos- v3
10(***) *,*962 *,**9,490 **2 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 3
11(***) *,*909 *,329,058 287 Princess Mononoke
12(***) *,*742 *,457,368 445 Kiki's Delivery Service
13(***) *,*702 *,727,900 451 Laputa: Castle in the Sky
14(***) *,*689 *,*19,192 *11 Cars
15(***) *,*654 *,***,654 **1 Senjou no Valkyria 3: Tagatame no Juusou v1 Blue Package
16(***) *,*644 *,**3,499 **2 Starry☆Sky vol.5 ~Episode Taurus~
17(***) *,*606 *,**4,714 **2 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii wake ga nai 7
18(***) *,*603 *,**6,808 **3 Yugioh! The Movie
19(***) *,*546 *,**3,138 **2 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san v1
20(***) *,*540 *,**4,672 **2 Toaru Majutsu no Index II v5
21(***) *,*503 *,110,360 *31 Toy Story 3
22(***) *,*502 *,639,566 332 Nausecaa of the Valley of the Wind
23(***) *,*495 *,**3,442 **2 BLEACH Hamen Metsubo Hen
24(***) *,*431 *,**2,714 **2 STAR DRIVER: Kagayaki no Takuto 6
25(***) *,*430 *,**2,779 **2 Hidan no Aria Bullet.1
26(***) *,*418 *,895,934 *84 Gake no Ue no Ponyo
27(***) *,*413 *,136,641 *59 Toy Story Special Edition
28(***) *,*404 *,*18,668 *10 Shrek Forever
29(***) *,*401 *,134,299 199 Monster Inc. (07.06)
30(***) *,*390 *,*62,810 *13 Mobile Suit Gundam UC 3

06/20~06/26 Oricon Top 20 Anime BD
*1(***) 31,069 31,069 *1 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. 1
*2(***) *3,813 49,943 *3 Karigurashi no Arrietty
*3(***) *3,374 26,059 *2 TIGER & BUNNY 2
*4(***) *3,166 55,006 *2 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 3
*5(***) *2,048 *8,559 *2 Natsume Yuujinchou Blu-ray Disc BOX
*6(***) *1,738 23,935 *2 IS -Infinite Stratos- v3
*7(***) *1,667 13,469 *2 STEINS;GATE Vol.1
*8(***) *1,620 *1,620 *1 Senjou no Valkyria 3: Tagatame no Juusou v1 Blue Package
*9(***) *1,486 11,636 *2 Mobile Suite Gundam Char's Counterattack
10(***) *1,397 18,128 *2 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii wake ga nai 7
**(*15) *1,141 *1,141 *1 Senjou no Valkyria 3: Tagatame no Juusou v1 Black Package
**(*16) **,938 *8,256 *2 Ao no Exorcist v1
**(*17) **,913 12,503 *2 Toaru Majutsu no Index II v5
**(*18) **,861 *6,745 *2 Mobile Suit Gundam F91 
**(*19) **,856 *6,505 *2 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san v1
**(*20) **,847 *6,114 *2 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 1

-------------------------------------------------------------

New:

AnoHana v1 kills it with 31,069/7,508 for 38,577. Cheaper volume or not, those are very impressive numbers. Nagai does it again.

Beelzebub v1 does 2,047 first week. About what you'd expect from a kid's shounen gag show with no otaku appeal. Might not rank next week.

Spring:

Ao no Exorcist v1 does 938/1,659 for 20,807 total the second week. This was the absolute best anyone could have hoped for, and it managed to achieve it.

Steins;Gate v1 puts on 1,667 more BDs for 13,469 the second week. I could see it hitting about 15k total, 16k if it has some really strong staying power.

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san v1 does 856/546 and comes out to 9,643 the second week. If the BDs rank next week it will probably put this over 10k or just a nose hair short of it. Either way, Nyantype power rankings should push it over 10k.

Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi v1 adds 1,212 more copies to put it at 5,786. This is doing better than I thought it would after these second week sales, it will be at 6k next week. I didn't watch it, but the homolust must have been pretty good.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko v1 adds 847 BDs for a total of 7,475. DVDs are done until we get Nyantype power rankings in a few weeks, which means this probably won't officially cross 8k until then. BDs might slip in next if the threshold is low enough.

Hidan no Aria v1 adds 430 DVDs, but we'll have to wait for the full list on Thursday for the BD numbers.

Tiger & Bunny v2 adds 3,374 BDs for a total of 27,130 in the second week. Yep, still had distro problems, but they're far closer to meeting demand with v2. It should cross 30k at this rate. I wonder if v1 will ever be distributed properly? It seems like they just gave up on restocking it.

Winter:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica v3 puts in 3,166/962 for 64,496. Poor Sayaka, I wonder what about her makes part of the Madoka fanbase off? All of the products related to her don't sale as well as the other girls'. Oh well, I expect to see a slight bump in v4 sales from v3. And I wouldn't be surprised if Madoka v1 and v2 rank when the full BD list comes out.

Infinite Stratos v3 adds 1,783/1,021 for a very consistent 32,759. The fans are really obsessed and loyal with IS, it's like every single one of them come back to buy the next volume. Although I wonder how much of the stability between v2 and v3 is thanks to Charlette keeping some buyers on for one more volume?

Starry Sky v5 does 644 for 3,499. Another stable series...although obviously on a different scale.

Fall:

Oreimo v7 does 1,397/606 for a 22,842 come back. The net episodes helped bring it back up to post-v2 sales. When the second half of 2011 sales list comes out it may be on par with v2. Hell, it may be at that point when August power rankings come out.

Index II v5 does 913/540 and hitting 17,175. As expected, Index-tan gives a pretty sizable bump. It will probably be a breath away from v3's total sales next week.

Star Driver v6 ads 431 DVDs, BD numbers will have to wait for Thursday.

Tags
sales, statistics