AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-15, 17:08   Link #121
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
Your arguments make no sense, the fact the other supernovas entered the New World way before Luffy and his crew was simply because they were more prepared and enough strong to survive, as Eustass pointed out. The only exception is Bonney, but I'm pretty sure she somehow managed herself to survive.

So no, the training was essential, or else the crew would have been annihilated as soon as they went through the other half of the Grandline. No matter you don't like it, if each one of these supernovas has an important role in the future, they won't be dead, and certainly this is what makes One Piece so different from other series, its consistency, and the fact very important characters don't die unless there's a purpose behind (namely Ace and Whitebeard).
It took both Kid and Law plus part of their crews to take down a Kumabot. The Strawhats accomplished with the complete crew.
I Highly...Highly doubt that the supernovas were much stronger than Luffy back when they met.
So yes, if they all suddenly show up all fine and dandy after spending two years in the New World (only Law didn't go immediately and Bonney was captured) then in my personal opinion it will diminish the whole purpose of the two year training.
I mean, if they can survive then why couldn't the Strawhats do the same without their training?

I think that atleast one of them made Shishibukai and I'm hoping that atleast ONE of them died/quit being a pirate.
How would that hinder consistency? They would serve their purpose by showing that the New World is no joke and going unprepared would lead to a hard time since atleast one of the famous Supernovas, recognized on par with the strawhats back at shabondy, couldn't cut it and had to leave/died.
Old 2011-09-15, 17:12   Link #122
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I think even if it's the real deal, it's probably more of a "how they would look now", and not really "how they look".
As I already wrote before the time skip: I expect several of them to be dead by now. If they survived the new world with their skills from two years ago, the whole training for the SH would have been unnecessary.
It depends on a lot of unknown variables. They could have all survived, but fled the New World. Or, many fo them could have been "consumed" by other Pirate groups (I expect a few of them to be working for a Yonkou). Etc. While I do like the idea of several of them dying (or at least having their dream beaten out of them), Oda did spend a lot of time building them up, so I expect they weren't defeated off-screen.
Old 2011-09-15, 17:20   Link #123
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It depends on a lot of unknown variables. They could have all survived, but fled the New World. Or, many fo them could have been "consumed" by other Pirate groups (I expect a few of them to be working for a Yonkou). Etc. While I do like the idea of several of them dying (or at least having their dream beaten out of them), Oda did spend a lot of time building them up, so I expect they weren't defeated off-screen.
I wouldn't mind the Strawhats finding one of them alone in a bar and then telling them what happened. Flashbacks!!!!!
Old 2011-09-15, 23:34   Link #124
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

Honestly, Oda has never went all out with Robin's powers. Why can't she simply poke out an opponents eyes by placing fingers around their eyelids? Why can't she slowly choke someone by blocking off all air by "growing" fingers and hands around/in their mouth and nose? Etc. If Oda really wanted to, he could make Robin equal to the Big Three (I agree its not quite her character to be a fighter, but the potential is obviously there).
I had suggested as much previously that she should be able to make her body parts come out of any where including in the body spaces of the person. A hand on the heart, or a part of the palm to block the airway in the throat or a finger in the aorta should pretty much kill any one but the Logias and maybe kuma who can reject anything... Even Sengoku and Garp who are probably the 2 strongest alive would probably be easy prey for her (assuming she can stay alive till they die in a short while).

But that would really make it a broken ability.
Old 2011-09-16, 01:18   Link #125
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
I had suggested as much previously that she should be able to make her body parts come out of any where including in the body spaces of the person. A hand on the heart, or a part of the palm to block the airway in the throat or a finger in the aorta should pretty much kill any one
Oda stated that one of her limits was that she can only grow a body part in an area she can see, which means she is unable to grow body parts inside someone's body.
Old 2011-09-16, 06:22   Link #126
Homura7

Well, I know I'm late, but I come to confirm that the picture featuring the Supernovas is real

Quote:
Greg: For everyone wondering about the below post, I'm 99% sure I know what it is. It's the result of the 'phrase' contest held a few months back where they asked JUMP readers to make a catch phrase for their favorite series to which the authors would create their image to meet the style. The entry for one piece was from a Kato-san of Aichi who entered, "We are, the Age of Pirates!" That was the winner and Oda chose to draw the SNs. The phrase above is an unrelated and perhaps perverted series.

Greg: ....uh....in other words, shit's real. Let the fangasming commence.
Old 2011-09-16, 09:05   Link #127
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Oda stated that one of her limits was that she can only grow a body part in an area she can see, which means she is unable to grow body parts inside someone's body.
I remember that she had grown arms on the other side of the door during the alabaster arc though. The one that had one of the drugged out guards graze her on the arm.

Nevertheless, if the person opens the mouth or possibly through the nostrils, she could access the throat. Or even lower if she uses a series of eyes to see further.
Old 2011-09-16, 09:33   Link #128
marvelB

Well, now that we've got confirmation that the supernova pic is legit, we can let the celebrations commence!

BTW, a better-quality version of the pic:

Spoiler:

Y'know, I forgot to mention before that I find it kinda odd that Zoro's left out of that pic, considering that he's a supernova himself (but then again, if ALL known super rookies were to be included in that pic, then we should be seeing Caribou and his brother, as well....).
Old 2011-09-16, 13:40   Link #129
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
It took both Kid and Law plus part of their crews to take down a Kumabot.
That's conjecture on your part. Fact of the matter is that we didn't see the exact outcome of that encounter in the manga. Kidd was in the middle of battling that pacifista, and then Law got caught up in the middle of that altercation. Beyond that, we didn't see anything else.

------

Awesome to know that Supernova pic is legit. I'm really digging their new looks .
Old 2011-09-16, 15:25   Link #130
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
That's conjecture on your part. Fact of the matter is that we didn't see the exact outcome of that encounter in the manga. Kidd was in the middle of battling that pacifista, and then Law got caught up in the middle of that altercation. Beyond that, we didn't see anything else.

------

Awesome to know that Supernova pic is legit. I'm really digging their new looks .
True, might have gotten it mixed up with the Anime (where I believe they were shown finishing Kumabot) but I'm still sticking to my last theory that the Supernovas were around the same powerlevel as the Strawhats before heading for the New World.
Old 2011-09-16, 15:35   Link #131
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
True, might have gotten it mixed up with the Anime (where I believe they were shown finishing Kumabot) but I'm still sticking to my last theory that the Supernovas were around the same powerlevel as the Strawhats before heading for the New World.
I agree. They were all classified as "rookies with bounties over 100 million"; and going by feats, they were all relatively comparable to each other. It comes down to a power boost of "learning by actual experience" and "training". The strawhats went with the latter option, which is safer to say the least.

-----

It seems like Kidd got messed up somewhat in the New World. He's got 2 scars over his face and some on his body. Hard to tell if that's a complete metallic arm or just metal parts encasing his real arm.
Old 2011-09-16, 15:49   Link #132
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I agree. They were all classified as "rookies with bounties over 100 million"; and going by feats, they were all relatively comparable to each other. It comes down to a power boost of "learning by actual experience" and "training". The strawhats went with the latter option, which is safer to say the least.

-----

It seems like Kidd got messed up somewhat in the New World. He's got 2 scars over his face and some on his body. Hard to tell if that's a complete metallic arm or just metal parts encasing his real arm.
Agreed, but the risk of learning through experience is really high, thus why I would like that atleast one Supernova lost his crew, died or just gave up on his dream. Then again I suppose if one of them joined say...a Yonkou then that could count has "Couldn't cut it out in the New World alone so had to join a stronger crew."

The arm actually looks like it was built like that rather than him gathering a bunch of metal in the shape of an arm, so I'm guessing he lost an arm...which is kinda cool for me. then again, let's not forget the "Zoro lost an arm" incident back when we got the first timeskip color spread.
Old 2011-09-16, 15:52   Link #133
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Supernovas
That a pretty cool picture of the Supernovas now. Kidd looks like he has seen better days. Gaining from the impressions of the Supernovas before the two years, I thought Oda was going to wipe some of them out. But all of them look like they have survived the two years time skip. I wonder how many Voodoo Dolls Hawkins can hold now? I wonder what Drakes X Ancient Zoan will look like now? Choppers changed so Drakes X's Zoan will have to change. How many of them have Haki? How powerful are the crew? Drake and Kidd made names for themselves, so I am expecting them to be powerful. I wonder if Capone has a million man army? Why would Law save Luffy? What's Bonny's connections with the World Government? Does Urouge have red eyes? From what we have seen with the Straw hats having all 11 supernovas survive is going to make things interesting.

Moving Forward
From what we have see with the Straw Hats now makes me wonder how the rest of the story will move forward. The story before the two years was building characters and getting crew members for the New World. The New World has 11 supernovas, the Admirals, Smoker, new Marine Head quarters, Yonkous, Black Beard, Crocodile, Shichibukai, Eneru (possible return?), Moria, Nobles, and Dragon. I wonder how this story is going to move forward? There is a lot of competition and a lot of loose ends.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2011-09-16 at 16:05.
Old 2011-09-16, 16:04   Link #134
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Agreed, but the risk of learning through experience is really high, thus why I would like that atleast one Supernova lost his crew, died or just gave up on his dream. Then again I suppose if one of them joined say...a Yonkou then that could count has "Couldn't cut it out in the New World alone so had to join a stronger crew."
Pre-time-skip, Bonney fell prey to Blackbeard. Was she in the New World when that happened? I don't recall exactly. But regardless, her defeat did signify that the supernovas were risking a lot by just diving into the New World right away.

Quote:
The arm actually looks like it was built like that rather than him gathering a bunch of metal in the shape of an arm, so I'm guessing he lost an arm...which is kinda cool for me. then again, let's not forget the "Zoro lost an arm" incident back when we got the first timeskip color spread.
I'm leaning more towards he lost an arm also for the same reasons you mentioned. That arm looks too neat/structured/organized, as if he specially and carefully crafted it himself.
Old 2011-09-16, 17:41   Link #135
Trax
Rock beats scissors

I also think that the supernova crews were on a similar level. By going to the new world they were forced to improve rapidly or perish, it's a highly risky venture. If they run into a major powerhouse too soon they have no chance. The strawhats could have gone the same route and survived depending on their luck, but their luck hasn't been all that great in the time period before that so staying out of the picture for two years is a lot safer. In some respects I think this way allowed them to improve faster by focussing on certain aspects of their abilities. For example, I doubt Luffy could have mastered haki as quick, without the expert guidance he got now. Any surviving supernova will be a force to be reckoned with though, can't wait to see a reunion.
Old 2011-09-16, 19:45   Link #136
Undertaker

Personally, the way I'm looking at it is that SH is strong enough to survive in NW, provided if they change their reckless(moral?) way.

The problem wi SH pre-skip was not surviving. but surviving while doing what they wanted and able to protect the entire crew under any circumstances.

If we look at pre-skip Supernovas, the two strongest (assumed) other than Luffy was Kid and Law. Law delayed his entry (not sure for how long) and while Kid seem to have an easy time, he faced a fairly weak opposition, pirates that had lost their pride and hoping to return to "Paradise". As for others, other then Hawkins, all seem to faced with tough situation with Bonney having the worst luck.

While I won't be surprised if everyone survived that doesn't mean they are better prepared than SH. All that mean is that they are more logical then SH are. Most of them won't bite off what they can't chew. Shanbody was a good indication on why SH was different and their training was needed. Everyone else wouldn't punch the Tenryubito and risk Admiral. nor would they try to penetrate EL and ID. Even in Battle of Summit, they just look on from outside and did participate. (with exception of Law, but his got a sub)

I have no doubt the monster trio would survive in NW pre-skip, but the rest of crew? That was the reason they trained. That, and the fact that Luffy being Luffy.
Old 2011-09-17, 11:23   Link #137
marvelB

Really, even if two years have passed, there's no guarantee that most of the supernovas made it very far in the New World. In fact, we already saw a few of them hit road blocks before the skip (Bonney getting captured by Blackbeard/Akainu, Capone getting caught up in that dark.... thing, Urouge and the thunder island, etc.). IMO, that kinda shows that those guys didn't prepare properly before getting their ships coated. In fact, I'd say that Law had the most common sense among them by deciding to stick around in Paradise for a while longer (probably so he could train, as well). I definitely don't doubt that at least a few of them made names for themselves in the NW, though (Drake's probably joined Kaidou by now, and there's still a good chance that one of the rookies may have become a shichibukai).....

Personally, I'm now wondering if Luffy and co. will run into any more new supernovas in the NW. Like, we already have Caribou and his (apparently dead) brother in this storyline, so who knows how many more zany rookies are currently raising hell in the Grand Line's latter half.....
Old 2011-09-19, 08:35   Link #138
stigi

I still want to know what was on the sheet of paper Buggy recieved.
Old 2011-09-19, 08:38   Link #139
Undertaker

most likely an invitation as for Shichibukai position, the popular theory, but I would love to have a confirmation.
Old 2011-09-19, 10:58   Link #140
marvelB

^Technically, it's almost guaranteed that Buggy has indeed been granted amnesty. I mean, we even saw Jinbei receive an invitation in very much the same fashion during the recent flashback......

But yeah, I'm looking forward to post-skip Buggy's reappearance the most. I'm also really hoping that he made Mr. 3/Galdino his new first mate during the skip, as well.
Closed Thread