Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-06-01, 06:57   Link #2101
Tatakae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
This theard is interesting to read.

I remember, when i was watching Evangelion the first time, in 1996 or 1997(dont exactly recall). I still have the video tapes, i recorded from the german tv channel, called Vox with german subtitles.
Since then, i have always been in the Evangelion fever. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
Hm? Evangelion was first broadcasted on the german VOX tv channel near the end of 2000 (27th of november, to be precisely). Was your first contact with the tv series four years earlier as you mention and you only became a fan after watching the first german broadcast years later? You got me confused here
Tatakae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 07:37   Link #2102
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm curious to see where things are going to go with the next movies. The changes really leave you wondering what will happen.
What i do know is, going by the scene after the credits and the preview, my favorite character will be getting plenty of screentime.

Old 2010-06-01, 12:01   Link #2103
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah, I'm a very new fan relative to everyone else. I didn't watch it til 2007; then again I just didn't really watch anime til 2006. It's relatively fresh in my head, for these reasons. Which made it very convenient that Rebuild was announced not too long after I watched it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 12:37   Link #2104
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakae View Post
Evangelion was first broadcasted on the german VOX tv channel near the end of 2000 (27th of november, to be precisely).
Realy? Mh wow, i realy couldnt recall, when it was.

Here two snapshots of the preview for the 3rd movie.
Spoiler for Rei(s):

Spoiler for Asuka is back!:
Old 2010-06-01, 12:53   Link #2105
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Y'know, Solafighter...you might want to change your spoiler tags. It kind of defeats the purpose of hiding the pics if you explain what the pics are in the tag...
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 13:23   Link #2106
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Y'know, Solafighter...you might want to change your spoiler tags. It kind of defeats the purpose of hiding the pics if you explain what the pics are in the tag...
Im hiding them, cause they are very wide (1080p). People, who dont have that high resolution on their screen, maybe want keep the design on this page in order.
Old 2010-06-01, 19:06   Link #2107
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Ah, I'm a very new fan relative to everyone else. I didn't watch it til 2007.
Damnit, stop making me feel older than I already am! XD

I'm interested if the stuff about the truth behind the White and Black Moons will make it into the movies... Probably not, but it's nice to think about, as it gives much insight into the nature of both Humanity and the Angels in the EVA universe (and not necessarily the Rebuild timeline).

Oh, and I don't think we'll see another new character with Rebuild 3.0, as in the preview Asuka is wearing a suit similar to Mari's, so it's likely that she'll be EVA-08's pilot. That makes me wonder about EVA-07 though...
Old 2010-06-01, 21:01   Link #2108
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Im hiding them, cause they are very wide (1080p). People, who dont have that high resolution on their screen, maybe want keep the design on this page in order.
Oh, so you WANT to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Okay...
Old 2010-06-02, 00:56   Link #2109
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Oh, and I don't think we'll see another new character with Rebuild 3.0, as in the preview Asuka is wearing a suit similar to Mari's, so it's likely that she'll be EVA-08's pilot. That makes me wonder about EVA-07 though...
Let see...
Eva 0-devoured
Eva 1-cross-ed
Eva 2-I think its wound is too much to fix...
Eva 3-100% DEAD DEAD,and DEAD!!
Eva 4-BOOM!!
Eva 5-BOOM,but with an angel,awesome
Eva 6-Alive,pilot with Kowaru(I think I spell his name wrong...)
Eva 7-Don't even know how its look like
Eva 8-Maybe the most advanced Eva?

EDITED
Comment to the screenshot...

Rei:Several little Rei is here,and I don't think this is the Rei we know...

Asuka:lost a eye...or maybe her eye got infected by the angel and might have some power...well that's impposible
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 01:58   Link #2110
Matt122005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Has anyone noticed how Anno appears to have done more research on Christianity for these new movies?

He made the angel at the beginning of the movie the 4th angel, so that 3 angels had already come before. 3 angels...hmm, that sounds familiar, no? In Revelation, there are 3 angels that call out for God's people to leave Babylon. It's known as the 3 Angel's Message.

To further re-enforce this point, Anno changes the Adam's embryo to "The Key of Nebuchadnezzar", who was the King of Babylon. In Revelation, the people opposing God are part of "Babylon the Great". And this Babylon we have in Evangelion (SEELE) is also protecting "Lillith", which could be looked at as being a false Christ (it has a spear in it just like Jesus (and in the series, uses the same name as the mythical spear that punctured Jesus), and is leaking LCL instead of blood). So Lillith could be looked at similarly to the Antichrist, which during the reformation, many Christian's believed would be a supernatural being that would impersonate Christ to mislead the world.

Babylon (Seele) is hiding the Dead Sea Scrolls (just like the Babylon of Revelation attempts to keep God's word from being seen), and it's trying to become like God (Human Instrumentality), which is the very spirit of Babylon (as when in Daniel, Nebuchadnezzar in defiance to God, erects a golden statue to become God itself and prove his kingdom will last forever).

I'm not saying Evangelion is a Christian Allegory, I'm merely suggesting that Anno has actually put more thought into the symbols in his story this time around. It looks like he's really researched it all.

Where he takes it all this time, nobody knows.

Again, the above are all just some theory's and such that crossed my mind. Feel free to debate them or agree. I'm merely opening up a discussion.

Also, to the person who will probably try and post that quote from one of the crew that says they only used the symbols to make it look cool. I know already. And I actually agree. The TV series did only really use the symbols for the sake of looking cool. But this isn't the TV series. This is a new project with a changing storyline. So anything is possible at this point. Besides, I'm not saying anything is or isn't. I'm merely offering up some observations I've made.
Um, not to kick a possibly dead horse, but did anyone at all feel like replying to my post on page 102 about the new religious symbols and or parallels Anno has decided to place together in this new version of Eva? It could prove important to a certain degree, cause if Anno "is" using religion more closely this time in regard to story plot, it could provide theory's for events yet to come. Anyways, I put a lot of effort in that post and was just hoping "someone" would want to reply. haha If not, oh well.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 07:48   Link #2111
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Um, not to kick a possibly dead horse, but did anyone at all feel like replying to my post on page 102 about the new religious symbols and or parallels Anno has decided to place together in this new version of Eva? It could prove important to a certain degree, cause if Anno "is" using religion more closely this time in regard to story plot, it could provide theory's for events yet to come. Anyways, I put a lot of effort in that post and was just hoping "someone" would want to reply. haha If not, oh well.
Take heart little brother, someone will reply

I think the original Evangelion was also full of Christian parallels, but to think that Anno really synthesized everything in a consistent way is a bit of a stretch. I think there are definitely parallels and a good amount of work was put into researching Christian symbols and ideas for this movie, but really the show's meanings and concepts aren't just Christian.

Human Instrumentality has always more closely mirrored Nirvana in Buddhism than anything else -- extinction of the self, desires, weaknesses and be part of a greater metaphysical whole.

Maybe I'm not really that interested in extracting or reading meaning into some of the things in Eva, because it's all guesswork and we go nowhere fruitful but concoct narratives for ourselves to believe in. I would be highly interested if Anno ever said something about what he intended things to be though.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 10:50   Link #2112
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

I think a lot of people read too much into the "symbolism." I think it's mostly just window dressing, and doesn't really stand up under scrutiny.
Old 2010-06-02, 14:42   Link #2113
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The Christian symbolism in general, both in the old Evangelion and new is pretty much as Yot-chan put it, "window dressing."

There are even old quotes somewhere (I think of Anno?) saying that he put such symbolism just because it looked cool.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 15:49   Link #2114
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
There are even old quotes somewhere (I think of Anno?) saying that he put such symbolism just because it looked cool.
I've heard so many such comments over the years, and never seen any source for them. Not saying you're lying, though i just wanted to mention my experience with such things.
Old 2010-06-02, 16:10   Link #2115
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Finally watch the 2.22, never be big fans of Original EVA like I do with Gunbuster, but I'm still regard its as Great anime, so I watch the Rebuild with expectation this is different title than the Original. And I'm satisfied the result, its like this one have more focus to the plot than the psychological aspect like the Original have. But yeah the change feels awkward even we already think it as other title, But still satisfied... will collect the BD for sure.

And I'm kinda understand with the Original big fans feel, maybe as someone who rather another Gainax title or at least rate there any title on the same scale, accept this Rebuild idea is more easier.

Last edited by fertygo; 2010-06-02 at 16:28.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 17:46   Link #2116
Animexcel

A little off topic, but anyone know any information on Arianne, the one who sang Come Sweet Death from End of Evangelion?
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 19:27   Link #2117
Matt122005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I think a lot of people read too much into the "symbolism." I think it's mostly just window dressing, and doesn't really stand up under scrutiny.
Honestly, I haven't seen anyone raise issue about the symbols for the films. Maybe I missed some posts far back in this thread? Cause all I ever hear are issues about the shows's use of symbolism, which as I said, is pretty much mute. Anno merely threw random things together in the show without much thought as to how they would all interact with each other (in a symbolic sense).

But I'm talking about the new movies in which we are seeing Anno actually change not only the story and characters, but the symbols themselves.

The man is 15 years older now. A lot can happen to someone.

Since this is a new story, not to mention a different Anno then 15 years ago, we cannot assume that he is ignoring the context of his symbols. It could be very likely from some of the examples I listed that Anno is actually researching the stuff much more for the story. If so, it would be very good to discuss it.

As I remember from Wikipedia, Anno didn't know how the story would end when he began the series. This time around, it appears he has a good idea of where he is taking this. If so, it would make sense that he is putting more effort into it.

Not only that, but unlike last time, he realizes he has a Western audience, and it could provide extra incentive for him to research his Christian references a bit more.

Remember, this is a new project. There is nothing to say that Anno isn't actually using the symbolism more effectively. And no, I do not refer to the crosses. lol There are a lot better symbols (as I previously pointed out) then the crosses in the film.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 20:12   Link #2118
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
A little off topic, but anyone know any information on Arianne, the one who sang Come Sweet Death from End of Evangelion?
The sum total of all knowledge in the universe about Arianne:

Arianne is a singer, NOT japanese, sometimes performing with LOREN&MASH.

Arianne performed two songs written by Hideaki Anno specially for his film “The End Of Evangelion”. “Komm, Süsser Tod” (ger. “Come, Sweet Death”) can be heard in the movie while “Everything You’ve Ever Dreamed” (unused) is only on the OST.

Arianne also sang versions of “The Time Warp”, “Over At The Frankenstein Place” and “Science Fiction Double Feature” for the “Rocky Horror Show” point and click PC game.
Old 2010-06-02, 20:29   Link #2119
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
The sum total of all knowledge in the universe about Arianne:

Arianne is a singer, NOT japanese, sometimes performing with LOREN&MASH.

Arianne performed two songs written by Hideaki Anno specially for his film “The End Of Evangelion”. “Komm, Süsser Tod” (ger. “Come, Sweet Death”) can be heard in the movie while “Everything You’ve Ever Dreamed” (unused) is only on the OST.

Arianne also sang versions of “The Time Warp”, “Over At The Frankenstein Place” and “Science Fiction Double Feature” for the “Rocky Horror Show” point and click PC game.
Thanks for the info
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 00:58   Link #2120
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It all returns to nothing
It just keeps tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down
It all returns to nothing
I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down.

I love that song; maybe that's what the people who hate Rebuild are feeling. Or is it
Spoiler:

j/k

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake