AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-03, 21:32   Link #661
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I already know what happens at the end
Old 2009-12-03, 22:10   Link #662
Ferny
:D

Does anyone have the link to where I can download all of the sound novel's character sprites so far? Or even just some of them is fine, but if anyone has ALL of them, that'd be great~
Old 2009-12-04, 21:25   Link #663
Lemons
Jazzy

I have a question, seems somewhat a question of overview.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-04, 21:31   Link #664
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBear
If your friend liked Higurashi, shouldn't he be used to having 'random crap thrown'? The repeating thing is pretty much the same as Higurashi too right? IMO, the only huge difference is that in Higurashi, most of the stuff you see can be trusted (Damn you Keiichi), but in Umineko, you have to question everything you see. Just tell him it's part of the story and the end will be worth it
Old 2009-12-04, 21:39   Link #665
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
I have a question, seems somewhat a question of overview.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Higurashi and Umineko animes:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-12-04, 21:43   Link #666
Lemons
Jazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBear View Post
If your friend liked Higurashi, shouldn't he be used to having 'random crap thrown'? The repeating thing is pretty much the same as Higurashi too right? IMO, the only huge difference is that in Higurashi, most of the stuff you see can be trusted (Damn you Keiichi), but in Umineko, you have to question everything you see. Just tell him it's part of the story and the end will be worth it
Thats the thing though, I've tried every aspect of explanation, but he still says "It's stupid" and that the question of belief is only brought up in Higurashi by Keiichi once, and in Kai.

It's gotten to the point he even compared it to Yugioh! -__-

Many of the people here, just almost think of Umi as if a stoner series

His reason come from there.
Old 2009-12-04, 21:47   Link #667
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

That's weird... But the Higurashi question arcs didn't make much more sense than Umineko's, we just haven't seen Umineko's answer arcs yet. Tell him it will make more sense then

P.S. How can you possibly compare Umineko to Yugioh... =.=
Old 2009-12-04, 21:53   Link #668
June 1983

The thing is this ... if a person is not willing to buy into the concept of Umineko and get on the train and stay on it, then you're not going to be able to get them to get into the show. Unfortunately, I wouldn't say Umineko is one of those "wait and see and be amazed!!!!" shows. Maybe it's like that for people who are interested in being amazed, but if someone is totally resisting it, that is impossible. To enjoy Umineko and to be able to participate in solving the mystery (which in my opinion and many other people's as well is the main source of enjoyment in this story), you have to be prepared to 1) accept the "rules" of the game and be willing to play by them, 2) think about, question, and consider every piece of information you are given, and 3) actively try to make sense of what you are seeing -- without somehow trying to bend the story to your will of what kind of story you "think" it should be.

A lot of people aren't willing to do that. Especially when watching an anime, because it's a medium which is more about instant gratification, partially because you have to be content with getting 20 minutes of story once a week and if you don't get what you are looking for on a week by week basis you need a patience which many people don't have.

It's funny because many of these requirements were also necessary for watching "Higurashi". But I think quite a lot of people came into the first season of Higurashi not watching it week by week but hearing about it later by word of mouth and watching it all at once, which is quite a different experience. Then they bought into its concept and were prepared to hold on through the tough periods in Kai.

I think that and also the fact that a lot of people are prejudiced towards Umineko because of its association with Higurashi means that many people aren't willing to give it a chance, or think that simply because it's a story that you can make fun of (and it's true, you can -- some parts of it are pretty ridiculous, and in a way they are supposed to be!) that it means you also can't take it seriously. Which IS wrong.

If you want you can copypasta what I just wrote and show it to your friend, but it may or may not convince him/her. For those who are unwilling to get into Umineko, if you really want to try, you might be best advised to wait until it's over and then try to get them to watch it all at once.
Old 2009-12-04, 21:53   Link #669
Lemons
Jazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBear View Post
That's weird... But the Higurashi question arcs didn't make much more sense than Umineko's, we just haven't seen Umineko's answer arcs yet. Tell him it will make more sense then

P.S. How can you possibly compare Umineko to Yugioh... =.=
I think he'll have given up on it by then. His tirade on it = NO.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-04, 21:56   Link #670
June 1983

How on earth does he know about Chiru? Is he reading spoilers? Right, because that's really going to help him make sense of the story when he doesn't even have a firm grasp on what's happened in the first four arcs ...
Old 2009-12-04, 21:58   Link #671
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Like June 1983 (Awesome name btw) said, maybe it's just not the kinda anime for her... Out of my many friends who watch anime, only me and one other friend actually bother watching Higurashi/Umineko, the others gave up because they just didn't have the patience. Some/Most people watch anime for entertainment, but IMO, the point of watching Umineko is trying to solve the mystery, not just getting to the end and going: 'Well that was interesting.'
Old 2009-12-04, 22:01   Link #672
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
If one is gonna have a negative mindset apporaching something, then it doesn't matter. It's their loss, really.
Spoiler for higurashi:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-12-04, 22:02   Link #673
Lemons
Jazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
How on earth does he know about Chiru? Is he reading spoilers? Right, because that's really going to help him make sense of the story when he doesn't even have a firm grasp on what's happened in the first four arcs ...
A user told him of it by curiousity. Despite this, he learned of Chiru while watching the anime in the third arc.
Old 2009-12-04, 23:21   Link #674
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think you won't change his mind so easily at this point, beside it looks like he's watching the full anime anyway. Plus I must say that while the anime isn't so bad it isn't really as good as the novel and many things have been lost in the process.
In addition there are some premises that might not make everyone happy, for example the fact that this story doesn't give you any guarantee that the mystery is solvable. And later on you learn that you can't trust anything. You start by thinking that magic scenes are false and everything else is correct, and then you learn that even what it isn't blatantly magic could be false. Some people firmly believe that there are rules to determine what can be considered true and what can be shown as fake, but sadly we do not know those rules.
There are theories and theories over other theories, those who believe that magic exists, those who believe magic exists on certain degrees and those who believe it doesn't exist at all. Red should be considered a certain fact, and yet there are people who question that.

I can well understand that someone can feel confused, but that's how this story is supposed to be. Now it all depends on the answer Ryukishi will give us in the end. If everything will have a perfect explanation in the end Ryukishi will demonstrate to be a true genius, in the other case it's gonna be an epic fail, however from Ryukishi's interviews you can understand that he's got a very clear idea of what is happening in this story, and when he says that once you learn the truth you can replay the first episode and notice a lot of things that made clear he had everything in mind since the beginning, you can well hope that Ryukishi isn't going to disappoint us.

Old 2009-12-05, 03:21   Link #675
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

A rather stupid question, but...
Spoiler for ...:
Old 2009-12-05, 04:27   Link #676
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
Old 2009-12-05, 05:07   Link #677
Qilin
Romanticist

This is probably a hassle, but does anyone here have a complete list of the red truths used in EP2-4?
I'm in the mood for a little mental exercise right now...

Last edited by Qilin; 2009-12-05 at 05:08. Reason: Oh, no red truths in EP1...
Old 2009-12-05, 06:09   Link #678
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

you can find them here: http://umineko.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Text

BE careful though! It also contains the red truths of Ep5, so as soon as you see the title: "End of the golden witch" stop and don't scroll any further if you don't want to get spoiled

Old 2009-12-05, 06:20   Link #679
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
you can find them here: http://umineko.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Text

BE careful though! It also contains the red truths of Ep5, so as soon as you see the title: "End of the golden witch" stop and don't scroll any further if you don't want to get spoiled
Oh thanks. Never knew there was an Umineko wiki (albeit a bit underdeveloped)...
Old 2009-12-06, 00:40   Link #680
KoiYuki

Who drew the Umineko portraits? I can't seem to find the artist's name anywhere.
Closed Thread

Tags
q&a