AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-21, 22:53   Link #281
deadite

I'll be looking forward to Maaya Sakamoto playing Masako.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 22:58   Link #282
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 23:16   Link #283
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"You're not old enough to be my grandmother!" Good play, Rin. Good play.

It's nice that an anime doesn't have to be otaku pandering junk all the time, but some may fear it will sell poorly. :/

It's also fun that Rin acts like a normal child, yet acts far better than the majority of anime females out there. It's funny to see her annoyed too, not over the top, but just right.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 23:23   Link #284
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Nothing to say really apart from the fact that it was a fantastic episode. Nothing too dramatic, nothing too comedic, no otaku pandering, no lolification of Rin, Daikichi acting his age and a total boss. It's covering the source material very well so far. It was heartwarming as hell and I have no complaints. 10/10

And yes... I'm one of the people that fear that it will sell poorly, and I expect it to do so. This series has no otaku appeal whatsoever. Now only if the original noitamina audience back from Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile S1 days was still around...
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 23:29   Link #285
Wigwams

hmmmm. im getting the feeling that rin is not the grandpa's child but he just chose to adopt her since he knew once he dies, his maid (not lover) will abandon rin and look for work somewhere else.
Old 2011-07-21, 23:46   Link #286
yongshun

kind of a complete 360 with Daikichi's mom there. Guess children remember when someone made them feel unwanted.

Boy that subordinate either has a man crush on Daikichi or something always asking him out for a night of drinking and nearly tearing up when he told him his situation at home right now.

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 00:59   Link #287
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Lovely third episode.

This was the perfect time to enlarge the cast a bit, and to have Daikichi spend some time talking with other parents about how best to approach his situation with Rin.

I also like the new characters that this episode brought in. I very much like the co-worker/mother that Daikichi took some advice from in this episode.

This anime has a good, relaxing pace, but there's enough happening - enough subtle strokes that reveal so much about each character - that my interest never really wanes during the episode.
Old 2011-07-22, 01:22   Link #288
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

The "maid" is obviously Rin's mother
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 01:48   Link #289
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep3:
lol I doubt it would happen in this kind of series. Even if it did maybe in the very last episode.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:35   Link #290
Seiryuu

OK, my worries were obviously unfounded. They mixed things around a bit, but they kept all the important points of the bedwetting incident and its cause. One thing I thought though was that Daikichi had better not fall in love and get married any time in the near future. Imagine the look on Rin's face if Daikichi one day told her "You're going to be an onee-san!".
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 04:58   Link #291
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It was so heartwarming to see Rin bonding with the rest of the family, her sister/step grandmother in particular. I love how subtle the show is when it comes to drama (and basically everything else, actually), it's a welcome change from last season's Noitamina. I very much prefer this approach, it's not as tear jerking but it feels much more natural and realistic, and as such works better on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
The "maid" is obviously Rin's mother
Well, yeah. It's not a secret.
Old 2011-07-22, 06:07   Link #292
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It's nice that an anime doesn't have to be otaku pandering junk all the time, but some may fear it will sell poorly. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
And yes... I'm one of the people that fear that it will sell poorly, and I expect it to do so. This series has no otaku appeal whatsoever. Now only if the original noitamina audience back from Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile S1 days was still around...
Might be too soon to tell, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
On another note, yesterday's noitaminA achieved 2.1% ratings.
While this doesn't make for excellent numbers, it should be noted that Usagi Drop has (kind of surprisingly?) taken off in the DVD/Blu-ray pre-order rankings - its first BD volume is currently ranked #20 on Amazon in i ts general DVD/BD chart - behind Penguindrum (#1) and The IDOLM@STER (#10). My point being, noitaminA probably shouldn't be considered "bombing" this season either, since the producers are now looking at the sales as well, not only at the ratings anymore.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 06:29   Link #293
User68604
Disabled By Request

kawaii episode was kawaii
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 06:35   Link #294
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I'm curious as to why people think this won't be popular with otaku. I would believe that posting on a forum such as this grants us otaku status, for one, so it seems mildly popular among our otaku ranks. If it is about your definition of 'moe' then remember that moe is a subjective feeling evoked by certain attributes of a character that we individually assign different weights to--some people might find Daikichi's earnest self-sacrifice as moe, some people might find Rin's being a young girl in a tragic situation (specific huh) moe.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 06:40   Link #295
Kirarakim

Another great episode I loved seeing a better side to Daikichi's family when they were not dealing with the funeral. The scenes with Rin and her grandmother were so sweet.

And I figured Daikichi would do something about his job situation, glad to see it happen so soon.
Old 2011-07-22, 06:54   Link #296
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I'm curious as to why people think this won't be popular with otaku. I would believe that posting on a forum such as this grants us otaku status, for one, so it seems mildly popular among our otaku ranks. If it is about your definition of 'moe' then remember that moe is a subjective feeling evoked by certain attributes of a character that we individually assign different weights to--some people might find Daikichi's earnest self-sacrifice as moe, some people might find Rin's being a young girl in a tragic situation (specific huh) moe.
But how many of us are in the targeted demographic for anime? Even if we buy some anime, we're not the ones paying the premium price for anime in japan. We're usually not the ones spending that much money into merchandise.

The anime industry thrives off a very niche and small fanbase. The fans outside of Japan really aren't that significant when it comes to the money.

True Tears was an anime that was highly regarded on the internets, but it did jack shit for sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Might be too soon to tell, but...
Good to hear.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-22, 06:55   Link #297
Preacher

As much as i like and enjoy the show, it let me thinking that its nothing as raising a real child. No, raising a real kid is just as enjoyable and troubling as here, but for 6 yo Rin acting way too much as angsty and ..yeah.. underdeveloped 4 yo. Everything that happens in the manga also have relation to how kids act in real life, but it seems... its just exaggerates the kids behavior to be cute and tries to create some kind of melodromatic, but detached from reality image. (also i know the futility of expecting from manga characters to act like real humans anyway...)

Somehow, as strange it is, Yotsuba and even.. yeah.. Rin Kokonoe is more "real kids" for me then Rin.

Rins character probably can be partially explained by the fact that she had no real family and raising those past 6 years and Daikichi is still kind of a stranger and new person for her. Still still looks for me more like 24 years old woman in body of a 4 years kid, pretending to be 6 yo. Kinda like Shouko from Asatte no Houkou.
Old 2011-07-22, 07:10   Link #298
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
As much as i like and enjoy the show, it let me thinking that its nothing as raising a real child. No, raising a real kid is just as enjoyable and troubling as here, but for 6 yo Rin acting way too much as angsty and ..yeah.. underdeveloped 4 yo. Everything that happens in the manga also have relation to how kids act in real life, but it seems... its just exaggerates the kids behavior to be cute and tries to create some kind of melodromatic, but detached from reality image. (also i know the futility of expecting from manga characters to act like real humans anyway...)
I don't see how Rin is angsting at all; she's just not close to anyone at this point. And not to mention the way the others view her, it's only logical to act nervous. If I thought of melodrama, I'd think of constant tantrums and incessant crying. Rin may not reflect a typical child, but she clearly isn't one either, given her situation.

She's just a kid that wants a parent. I hardly call that angst.

Quote:
Rins character probably can be partially explained by the fact that she had no real family and raising those past 6 years and Daikichi is still kind of a stranger and new person for her. Still still looks for me more like 24 years old woman in body of a 4 years kid, pretending to be 6 yo. Kinda like Shouko from Asatte no Houkou.
She surely doesn't act THAT mature; I don't know any 24 year olds afraid to go the bathroom. Even considering her more mature behaviors, I would expect them from people long before they are 24. Even unusually mature acting characters like Nanoha Takamachi may act several years beyond their age, but really... I do not think it would be that extreme in this case. I mean yes, a lot of anime females do act retarded and perhaps act half their age which lowers their standards a bit.

Just because Rin behaves better than your average garbage bin tsundere does not mean she has the maturity of an adult. Her dependent, scared behavior is evidence of such, making her very much a kid.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-22, 07:17   Link #299
User68604
Disabled By Request

i had a moe explosion when she followed daikichi to the bathroom requesting gif
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 09:49   Link #300
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I would JUMP at the chance of raising Rin, if forced to raise a kid. She's quiet, polite, and obedient but still a human being. She's a very sweet kid. Reina is funny to watch....but she's a handful. I could never keep my patience with her.

This seems like the perfect "safe" anime. And by "safe", I mean anyone of any age or sex in Japan caught watching this would not be called "weirdo", "childish", or "otaku".

It gives the same "general audience" feeling as the Miyazaki works.
Am I correct in assuming this?

This being my feeling, I swear to you, if any sick schmuck from Megami magazine decides to draw Rin and Reina in their panties together in yuri poses, I will f**king track him down and kick him in the genitals.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-07-22 at 10:02.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance